Earlier MWSF keynote = more new hardware

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
MacCentral announced this morning that Steve Jobs' MWSF keynote will take place <a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0112/12.keynote.php"; target="_blank">a day earlier</a> than usual, on January 7 at 9am PST. Do you guys think that the keynote is a day earlier to give Jobs more time to introduce new hardware and so that there's one more day to fondle over all the new toys?

Escher

Comments

• Reply 1 of 142
    Doubtful, but you never know.
  • Reply 2 of 142
    Hopefully the keynote is "Amelio Long" but not "Amelio Boring" and we get a rediculous number of new products!
  • Reply 3 of 142
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I can see it now!

G5 PowerMacs at 1.2, 1.4, and 1.6GHz on a 400MHz bus.

LCD iMac with G4 at 1GHz throughout the line.

PowerBook G4 bumped to 733MHz and 1GHz.

iBook bumped to 100MHz bus and 750MHz.

This expo will be so spectacular, people will faint in the aisle.
  • Reply 4 of 142
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Shakespeare:

<strong>Hopefully the keynote is "Amelio Long" but not "Amelio Boring"!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just had a look at the event site and Steve's keynote is scheduled to be <a href="http://www.macworldexpo.com/expo/keynotes/index.shtml"; target="_blank">2.5 hours long</a>. I know it's gone up to two hours in recent years, but from what I remember that was always "overtime", i.e. not anticipated in the official program.

Anyway, I bet that Jobs was invited to a golf tournament for a friend's birthday, or had to be at an important meeting in his Pixar capacity, on that Tuesday and decided that moving up the keynote with four weeks' notice was ok.

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 142
    Not only is it taking place a day earlier but its also been lengthened by an hour as well. It was originally scheduled for and hour and a half. Now its two and a half hours. Add to this what Steve just said...

"We're working hard to make this January's Macworld the most exciting ever"

... and you get the possibility for a very big show. I have visions of G5 PowerMacs and G4 iMacs dancing in my head. I must struggle to remain pessimistic.
  • Reply 6 of 142
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>This expo will be so spectacular, people will faint in the aisle.</strong><hr></blockquote>

January 7 will change our life. It will be remebered in history as the day that changed this whole f*cking world.
  • Reply 7 of 142
    Yes, we should all struggle to remain pessimistic. Better to be surprised than dissapointed.
  • Reply 8 of 142
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    [quote]Originally posted by Infinite Void:

<strong>

January 7 will change our life. It will be remebered in history as the day that changed this whole f*cking world.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or we are left so disappointed there is no point carrying on anymore...
  • Reply 9 of 142
    There's got to be atleast one big product announcement, likely the imac.....anything else is just frosting on the cake, unless we get another COMPLETELY NEW product or the G5 PM comes out
  • Reply 10 of 142
    So the Keynote is a day earlier, which means anyone who goes to the Keynote will NOT be able to actually play with the new products afterward. The exhibit halls will not be open.

hmmmmm

Remember at past Keynotes we had a lot of stories the day before from people who were working at other booths and snuck over to the Apple booth to get a looksie? Well, Apple doesn't even have to start setting up now until Monday at 12pm....AFTER the keynote. Maybe Steve is doing this to really keep a wrap on things.

Maybe this WILL be the most exciting MacWorld ever. Ok Ok, I need to calm down....don't want to get my hopes up too much.

I hope they show they Keynote at the Apple Marketcenter in NY so I can see it live
  • Reply 11 of 142
    Any news of a webcast...?!?

Gotta have a webcast...!
  • Reply 12 of 142
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>Well, Apple doesn't even have to start setting up now until Monday at 12pm....AFTER the keynote. Maybe Steve is doing this to really keep a wrap on things.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Willoughby: Now that's a good and very rational explanation. Once you start moving around tons of new hardware on the expo floor, it's really tough to keep up the secrecy. Once too many eyes have seen the goods, even the thick black curtains don't help. Making the official announcement at the keynote before you bring in the hardware is the logical way to preempt last-minute leaks. I look forward to a true surprise at this Expo.

Escher
  • Reply 13 of 142
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    I agree with you completely, Escher. 2.5 hours of keynote before the exhibition hall opens suggests (to me) lots of new products Jobs wants to keep under wraps. :eek:

Stevo knows that MWSF is too important an event to be messing with the keynote for any trivial reasons.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: TJM ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 142
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    According to French site MacPlus, <a href="http://www.macplus.net/Actu/1201/12/17.shtml"; target="_blank">two new PowerBook models are coming</a>: Basically the 550MHz and 667MHz models will each be offered with combo DVD/CD-RW drives. Apple finally found a supplier, according to the rumor.

The (brief) article is in French.
  • Reply 15 of 142
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The length is for an extended hypnotic "megahertz myth" presentation. Apple marketing has deduced that such prolonged exposure to the RDF will make it possible for Apple to drop the speed of the powermacs and se up that stock pile of 733 G4's without any untowards reaction from the public or the press. Gigawire is a special electrode used to lobotomize the more resistant consumers.
  • Reply 16 of 142
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Whoa, 2.5h? The guy has gone completely insane, this will be boring no end.

OK, so I guess, we _will_ see two new machines: a new iMac and a new Desktop.

Oh yes, and Photoshop, I guess...
  • Reply 17 of 142
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>According to French site MacPlus, <a href="http://www.macplus.net/Actu/1201/12/17.shtml"; target="_blank">two new PowerBook models are coming</a>:</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's interesting to see how many good rumors and leaks have come through non-US sites recently, most notably Macworld UK (or was it Mac User UK?).

I wonder whether the MacGregor who penned the article at MacPlus is the same person that we've seen around here.

Escher

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 142
    here is the french translation courtesy the fish:

C.est what our anonymous advisor has just sent to us a few minutes ago. APPLE would have thus to decide d.annoncer two new PowerBook, which would be characterized only by l.integration out of standard from the reader Combo CDRW-DVD instead of only reader DVD. It will thus have been necessary for Apple a few weeks to manage to produce a model " Slot-in " which takes seat in the specific design of TiBook. Nothing exciting good, but c.est an improvement well sympathetic nerve if it is confirmed. Obviously this update will have to be imminent. possibly: -) " M8622F/A: PWB 550Mhz / CDRW-DVD / 256MO " " M8623F/A: PWB 667Mhz / CDRW-DVD / 512MO "
  • Reply 19 of 142
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Lets assume that the only new theing is the LCD iMac.

There are going to be an enormus number of people at the exhibition on the 7th who would not otherwise see the product if the keynote was held on the 8th.

It makes perfect sense to move the date and I would not read anything more into it than that.

Keep it logical.
  • Reply 20 of 142
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Yea, ok, but what's the whole next hour for? Hey, here's the new iMac and I have a whole hour to talk about just it.

Ah no. There is more to read into.