Apple's 'iPhone 6s' again said to be in production as parts leaks continue

Comments

• Reply 21 of 178
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    This in a nut shell is the whole problem, the cost of flash has dropped dramatically over the years. As such it makes Apples tiering look really bad. I'd be the first to admit that Apples hold on flash has allowed them to implement higher cost technologies like retina at no cost to the user but that is old hat now.

1) Your first problem is you think that the tiering is based on the coast on NAND.

2) If you think like that [@]Rogifan[/@] that this is some pathetic conspiracy by Apple to get you to buy higher tier storage because 16GB isn't enough for anyone then why will iOS 9 remove over 3GB from the system, bringing it back to iOS 3.x(?) sizes if that's their ridiculous plan?
  • Reply 22 of 178
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    You are showing your ignorance.

Yes $18 billion is a lot. But Apples market cap of $750 billion is massive. Without that type of profits the stock would tank. That means employee stock options would tank. That means you will lose a ton of top line employees.

Again you have no idea how to run a massive business like Apple. The market has spoken loud and clear that they are okay wuth Apples pricing.

I suggest you buy a cheap Android since you seem to be hard on for cash. No shame in that.

So basically you're saying Apple's top priority and number one customer is Wall Street. Got It.
  • Reply 23 of 178
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) Your first problem is you think that the tiering is based on the coast on NAND.

2) If you think like that [@]Rogifan[/@] that this is some pathetic conspiracy by Apple to get you to buy higher tier storage because 16GB isn't enough for anyone then why will iOS 9 remove over 3GB from the system, bringing it back to iOS 3.x(?) sizes if that's their ridiculous plan?

Why is the iOS file size smaller? Craig Federighi said it on stage at WWDC: iOS 8 adoption rate was slower than iOS 7 and prior because many people didn't have enough space on their phone to do the OTA update. No way are they going to go through that again. And of course this also makes it that much easier for them to keep base storage at 16GB.
  • Reply 24 of 178
    This is a variation of the "Apple is greedy" meme. I hear it all the time from Apple critics and trolls. Apple is guilty of having too much money, too much success. Success = evil, money = evil.

Your theory of "good and happy customers" is a non sequitur. You're either a customer, or you're not. That's the only question that's economically relevant: You either bought an iPhone, or your bought something else because it was a better deal for the money (or held-off upgrading). Apple, like any other business, reacts to and adjusts their strategy according to what people buy or don't buy.  Customer "mood" doesn't show up on any accounting spreadsheet, but it does influence buying decisions.

That being said, you cannot absolve customers of responsibility for the wrong choices they've made. I can't blame Apple if I exceed the limit of the iPhone's storage; I can grumble about it, delete some apps, music, or photos, but how can I blame Apple? They didn't lie about the storage capacity and they didn't lie about the price when I bought it. I can only blame myself if I later regretted the purchase decision, but I don't go around on forums saying Apple is doomed because customers are pissed off at their own purchase decisions.

Can you tell me how many people who bought a 16 GB or 8 GB iPhone knew what the size of the iOS 8 OTA update would be? When people are buying a phone last thing they should have to think about is will they have enough space to update the operating system. Craig Federighi even said that's one of the reasons they worked on making iOS 9 smaller.
  • Reply 25 of 178
    rogifan wrote: »
    Why is the iOS file size smaller?

New compression, mostly.
    Craig Federighi said it on stage at WWDC: iOS 8 adoption rate was slower than iOS 7 and prior because many people didn't have enough space on their phone to do the OTA update.

And? You think that everyone with a 16GB device has not room, even if they don't do any of the things I previous mentioned, and you also think those with larger capacities aren't maxing them out?
    No way are they going to go through that again.

Which is why they now have a service that will analyze, backup, delete, and then reinstall apps in order to make room for the updates. They are probably working on making OTA point updates smaller, too.
    And of course this also makes it that much easier for them to keep base storage at 16GB.

That contradicts your previous assertions that Apple does this so customers are forced to buy higher tiers.
  • Reply 26 of 178
    Can you tell me how many people who bought a 16 GB or 8 GB iPhone knew what the size of the iOS 8 OTA update would be? When people are buying a phone last thing they should have to think about is will they have enough space to update the operating system. Craig Federighi even said that's one of the reasons they worked on making iOS 9 smaller.

Scenario: I have a 128GB iPhone filled with as much music as possible (which still isn't enough so I complain that Apple doesn't listen to customers by not offering a 1TB iPhone for the same price as the 128GB model and use the argument "because they can afford it") and I go to update and there isn't enough room to download, unpack and upgrade iOS on the device. Apple's fault? This is because they sold the 16GB iPhone, isn't it¡
  • Reply 27 of 178

That contradicts your previous assertions that Apple does this so customers are forced to buy higher tiers.

Not at all. There's no explanation for going 16>64 rather than 32>64 than upselling and the higher tiers having more margin to play around with. I think there are a number of reasons for the improvements they're making regarding OS file size but one of them no doubt is so they can continue to be stingy with storage at the low end.
  • Reply 28 of 178
    Not at all. There's no explanation for going 16>64 rather than 32>64 than upselling and the higher tiers having more margin to play around with. I think there are a number of reasons for the improvements they're making regarding OS file size but one of them no doubt is so they can continue to be stingy with storage at the low end.

OK, so your brilliant deduction is that Apple is being extra greedy because they are now charging $100 for an additional 48GB when before they were charging $100 for an extra 16GB.
  • Reply 29 of 178
    Scenario: I have a 128GB iPhone filled with as much music as possible (which still isn't enough so I complain that Apple doesn't listen to customers by not offering a 1TB iPhone for the same price as the 128GB model and use the argument "because they can afford it") and I go to update and there isn't enough room to download, unpack and upgrade iOS on the device. Apple's fault? This is because they sold the 16GB iPhone, isn't it¡

You're assuming people who didn't have enough space to upgrade were just poorly managing their storage. But managing storage isn't that easy. I have a number of apps on my iPhone where the majority of the size is taken up by something called "Documents and Data". I have one app whose app size is only 36MB but the total usage on my device is 465MB. There's nothing you can do about that short of deleting the app and reinstalling it. You can't tap on Documents and Data to get more information on what exactly it is or clear it out to free up space. And having to manage storage by deleting apps and reinstalling them is poor user experience IMO.

Also the biggest reason this discussion even exists is because Apple got rid of 32 and replaced it with 64. Naturally people will wonder why they did that but didn't replace 16 with 32. Heck even John Gruber asked
    Phil Schiller about it on his podcast.
  • Reply 30 of 178
    You're assuming people who didn't have enough space to upgrade were just poorly managing their storage. But managing storage isn't that easy.

Yes, everyone that doesn't have enough storage to update their devices and doesn't understand why is poorly managing their devices. It being easy or hard has not barring on this as saying it's hard doesn't then give you a pass to say you're good at it. In fact, the very nature of you bitching and moaning about 16GB when it's more than enough for a huge part of their consumer base shows that you're also very poor at managing your devices. I'd even say you expect 64GB as the base because you erroneously feel it would alleviate that issue with you even though I know you'd end up filling it with crap that you'd then poorly manage and then blame Apple for only starting at 64GB when you are scratching your head as to why you can't update.
    I have a number of apps on my iPhone where the majority of the size is taken up by something called "Documents and Data". I have one app whose app size is only 36MB but the total usage on my device is 465MB. There's nothing you can do about that short of deleting the app and reinstalling it.

And? You are bitching that Apple is greedy when they have a solution that reinstall such apps with the data in place so you can update without having to buy a large capacity device you may not need. Again, you're wrongly putting blame on Apple for your inability to manage your device and you're contradicting your own complaints.
    You can't tap on Documents and Data to get more information on what exactly it is or clear it out to free up space. And having to manage storage by deleting apps and reinstalling them is poor user experience IMO

1) And you don't have to with iOS 9 and yet you're saying Apple is trying too force everyone off the 16GB devices even though they've added two new options to prevent that from happening.

2) Maybe you should look into why an app needs almost a half-GB of data and documents on a phone.
  • Reply 31 of 178
    OK, so your brilliant deduction is that Apple is being extra greedy because they are now charging $100 for an additional 48GB when before they were charging $100 for an extra 16GB.

No I'm arguing Apple can afford to do that because the margins at the higher end are a lot greater. And in the holiday quarter Apple did report higher ASPs and slightly higher margins.

Neil Cybart, who runs the site Above Avalon estimates Apple saved $3B by keeping the 16GB tier with the 6/6 Plus.

http://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2014/12/18/apple-will-save-3-billion-in-2015-by-selling-16gb-iphone-66-plus
  • Reply 32 of 178
    No I'm arguing Apple can afford to do that because the margins at the higher end are a lot greater. And in the holiday quarter Apple did report higher ASPs and slightly higher margins.

Neil Cybart, who runs the site Above Avalon estimates Apple saved $3B by keeping the 16GB tier with the 6/6 Plus.

http://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2014/12/18/apple-will-save-3-billion-in-2015-by-selling-16gb-iphone-66-plus

YOU CAN'T BE THAT FUCKING STUPID!
  • Reply 33 of 178
    Yes, everyone that doesn't have enough storage to update their devices and doesn't understand why is poorly managing their devices. It being easy or hard has not barring on this as saying it's hard doesn't then give you a pass to say you're good at it. In fact, the very nature of you bitching and moaning about 16GB when it's more than enough for a huge part of their consumer base shows that you're also very poor at managing your devices. I'd even say you expect 64GB as the base because you erroneously feel it would alleviate that issue with you even though I know you'd end up filling it with crap that you'd then poorly manage and then blame Apple for only starting at 64GB when you are scratching your head as to why you can't update.

People should not be required to delete and reinstall apps just to free up storage. WTF is Documents and Data anyway and how do you get rid of it outside of deleting the app (answer: you don't). Btw, I have not once argued that the base storage should be 64GB.
  • Reply 34 of 178
    YOU CAN'T BE THAT FUCKING STUPID!

Wow name calling. How classy.

And if I'm stupid then I guess that makes most of the posters in this MacRumors thread stupid too..

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-logic-board-16gb-nfc.1897584/
  • Reply 35 of 178
    People should not be required to delete and reinstall apps just to free up storage.

If you maximize all your storage in anything then, yes, you are fucking required to clean shit out if you want add stuff to it. This simple logic doesn't just apply to your fucking iPhone but to your fucking computer, and anything else where space is not infinite.
  • Reply 36 of 178
    Wow name calling. How classy.

And if I'm stupid then I guess that makes most of the posters in this MacRumors thread stupid too..

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-logic-board-16gb-nfc.1897584/

That's not name calling, that's an adjective in which I describe the ridiculousness of the words you are using. Your use of Kool-Aid to me because I do think it's your responsibly, not Apple's, to know how your usage limitations, is a noun and therefore could be described as name calling.

You can't even get that fucking right!
  • Reply 37 of 178
    If you maximize all your storage in anything then, yes, you are fucking required to clean shit out if you want add stuff to it. This simple logic doesn't just apply to your fucking iPhone but to your fucking computer, and anything else where space is not infinite.

Jesus Christ your not getting it. You can't clean out Documents and Data. It's not like a browser where you can clear your cache or delete temporary internet files. There's nothing you can do short of deleting the app. And deleting the app is only a temporary solution as once you install it and start using it again Documents and Data fills right back up. I think that's ridiculous.
  • Reply 38 of 178
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

So if they didn't they would have made $3 billion less. That is a material difference. That would decrease earnings by close to 8%. It would basicly wipe out every cent of profit the iPad makes.

I'm done arguing with you. You obviously know nothing about running a profitable business.

Go buy a cheap ass Android so we can stop hearing your cry baby bullshit over here.

Apple does not need cheap ass customers like you. Apple is a premium brand not a discount brand.

So why doesn't your logic apply when they went 64GB instead of 32GB for the second tier phone?
  • Reply 39 of 178
    So if they didn't they would have made $3 billion less. That is a material difference. That would decrease earnings by close to 8%. It would basicly wipe out every cent of profit the iPad makes.

I'm done arguing with you. You obviously know nothing about running a profitable business.

Go buy a cheap ass Android so we can stop hearing your cry baby bullshit over here.

Apple does not need cheap ass customers like you. Apple is a premium brand not a discount brand.

Put me on ignore then as I'll be doing the same with you.
  • Reply 40 of 178
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Rogifan thinks Apple is a non-profit organization that should give the base iPhone 1TB of storage and free unlimited cloud. Guy is living a pipedream.

The 'guy' is a girl.