Apple announces Sept. 9 event for 'iPhone 6s,' updated Apple TV at massive new venue

Comments

• Reply 41 of 157
    schlackschlack Posts: 724member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

$999! It'll be powered with the computing power of a human brain and will beat Amazon's Alexa like a redheaded stepchild.

current gen iPhone+ with 128GB + tax is >$999

...so yea..at least one version of the phone will cost that much

• Reply 42 of 157
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Interesting that we’ve seen no prototypes or mockups of the rumored Apple TV. In fact we’ve heard next to nothing about it. Why is that?

It's not the type of black box people go on the internet to see. :lol:
  • Reply 43 of 157

(reply to Dick Applebaum - Guy Kawasaki The Macintosh Way)

• Reply 44 of 157
    schlackschlack Posts: 724member
    apple should release a titanium phone. charge a bit more. people will buy it.
  • Reply 45 of 157
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member

I'm surprised no one is talking about Siri on OS X... The last demo of 10.11 showed "natural language search" using text -- this is obviously being done by the Siri engine, they just chose not to show the voice-activated part, in hopes of keeping it a secret until the release.

• Reply 46 of 157
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

The only question is how much it will cost. $99? I’m betting $149 or $199
    $99.  The key is having Siri suggest something that requires you to pay $2.99 per episode. 

"Siri, Is there anything good on?"
    "Well, Dave, There's my favorite...  '2001 a Space Odyssey'"
    "Thanks, Siri,  Can you turn up the Volume a little"
    "Sorry Dave. I can't do that."
    "What's the problem?"
    <p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);margin-bottom:.3em;">"I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do."</p>

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);margin-bottom:.3em;">"What are you talking about, Siri?</p>

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);margin-bottom:.3em;">"Your Hearing is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.</p>

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);margin-bottom:.3em;">"Siri, I don't know what you're talking about"</p>

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);margin-bottom:.3em;">"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye."</p>

Was that conversation with Siri, or Soli? ;)
  • Reply 47 of 157
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It's so obvious ...

The secret is in front of your face ...

SirI ... Bill Graham Auditorium ... SepteMber 9

Apple is going to acquire IBM ...

It's easy, once you understand how these things work!

Unlikely if not impossible.

Apple total cash $203B

Apple US cash $45B

Apple offshore cash $158B

After repatriation @ 30% $110B

Apple total cash $110B + $45B = $155B

IBM market cap $143.92B

IBM acquisition premium 20% 

IBM total value $173B

Sure there are other possibilities such as debt or shares but it would leave Apple with very little cash... and what would be the point? Apple doesn't want to be in IBM's business. Apple focuses on consumers. The only thing IBM has that Apple could use is Watson but $173B is too much for just that.

• Reply 48 of 157
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member
    Yep, Tim called me to ask me if it were alright to announce that day since it's my birthday as well. I gave him permission since he offered me a new update.
  • Reply 49 of 157
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,409member

When I first asked, I got a local store with hint in the title. Now, I'm getting some of these. Clever.

• Reply 50 of 157
    bcode wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one is talking about Siri on OS X... The last demo of 10.11 showed "natural language search" using text -- this is obviously being done by the Siri engine, they just chose not to show the voice-activated part, in hopes of keeping it a secret until the release.

Voice controlled anything on the desktop makes less sense. We have trackpads and keyboards.
  • Reply 51 of 157
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,133member

Let the speculation begin!

I am looking forward to an new AppleTV. The lack of leaks makes me skeptical. I am curious about pricing. I was disappointed with AW pricing, but freely admit I like my sport model, and value it. I was perhaps unrealistic about AW pricing. AppleTV and AW are a natural pair.

I think Apple rarely does radical form redesigns on an "s" release. Perhaps the Titanium, gold, other Fancy Shit(tm) will be on iPhone 7 next year. 

Force touch is interesting, but it will require developers to make it elegant.

El Capitan gold release date?

Ready go.

• Reply 52 of 157
    roakeroake Posts: 821member

Want it?  Here it is, for iPhone anyway:

Force Touch (tp)

Improved SIRI

Improved camera, video (tp)

2gb RAM

Forward-facing flash

Improved TouchID

Increased security measures.

Better integration of sensors

Changes to haptic feedback - not terribly significant, but will get hyped.

A9 - faster, more powerful, more robust, capable of desktop... and so on

Harder material (4x stronger - difficult to bend).  Reinforced weak points, which they won't mention.  They also won't mention the word "bend"

Weighs less, slightly improved battery life

Better LTE specs

No increase in top-end storage (max 128gb)

Integrating WiFi/LTE so that transfer of info on weak WiFi is not interrupted.  Works less well on iPhone 6 and below, but they won't state that.

AirPlay enhancements.

Basic 4k support.

Optional official stylus support (announcement may get deferred to October).

Security is a big focus.

HomeKit (tp)

"deep searches" and all the other iOS 9 changes

They will spend time talking about improved maps and new MacOS integration, but these are side-issues.

• Reply 53 of 157
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,133member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Voice controlled anything on the desktop makes less sense. We have trackpads and keyboards.

iPad Pro with a stylus for detailed graphics work makes sense. I don't need one, but I can see the product being popular in a niche market.

• Reply 54 of 157
    mstone wrote: »
    It's so obvious ...

The secret is in front of your face ...

Sir[SIZE=16px]I[/SIZE] ... [SIZE=16px]B[/SIZE]ill Graham Auditorium ... Septe[SIZE=16px]M[/SIZE]ber 9

Apple is going to acquire IBM ...

It's easy, once you understand how these things work!

Unlikely if not impossible.

Apple total cash $203B
    Apple US cash $45B
    Apple offshore cash $158B

After repatriation @ 30% $110B

Apple total cash $110B + $45B = $155B

IBM market cap $143.92B
    IBM acquisition premium 20% 
    IBM total value $173B

Sure there are other possibilities such as debt or shares but it would leave Apple with very little cash... and what would be the point? Apple doesn't want to be in IBM's business. Apple focuses on consumers. The only thing IBM has that Apple could use is Watson but $173B is too much for just that.

Yeah ... Just kidding! Though, there may be possibilities for joint ventures.

I suspect that the Pad Pro is designed for enterprise -- and being pushed by IBM. AppleTV also makes sense in board rooms, meeting rooms, class rooms, operating rooms ...

Big Data, NoSQL, Cloud Services are also areas of interest.

I suspect that IBM heavily influenced Swift 2 enhancements and 'Nix open sourcing.
  • Reply 55 of 157
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

I'd like there to be something a lot more costly than the current Apple TV. Why? I want something that works as a true digital hub for the home. Meaning, I want something that is designed for the HEC (home entertainment center) that will run the primary TV — up to 4K with H.265 support — that has 802.11ac and GigE (I've given up on 10GigE even though we have WiFI that is faster than GigE) at leas one USB-A 3.0, if not USB-C 3.1, for running a HDD or RAID off the back wth the device running a built-in version of iTunes on the iOS/ARM system.

All other TVs will have the options for something, say, a $69 satellite Apple TV (1080p), or a more expensive $99-$149 satellite Apple TV (4K and H.265), both of which connect to the main Apple TV server hub to stream video. I'd like all this to be controlable via Siri with the remote control having button and mic so Siri known when to listen in a room with sound coming from the HEC or other speakers. I'd also like the remote control to be a built-in battery that is charged via induction when placed atop any of the Apple TVs as well as after market party option for additional charger in case your ideal position for your remote when not is use is not where your Apple TV rests.

Additionally, I'd like the remote to use a Touch ID-like system, but no so much for security, for sensing the person holding the remote control so that the UI, preferred channels, preferrers show, suggestions, blocked channels, and other settings alter to suit that viewer's need. This could also include the option for whether the show was un/watched, subtitle defaults, and location where it was last paused based on that user's iTunes for Apple TV Library account.

Finally, I'd like Apple to create an open standard which will allow any media extender appliance to work with any TV manufacturer without the simplistic and archaic use of a simple A/V cable. I'd like to see VESA-like standard for potentially mounting a media extender appliance to the back of a TV, as dedicated data cable type that will various standard setups by TV manufactures. For example, having a TV with motion sensors, light sensors, cameras (FaceTime), various mics, and enough data for 4K video and 9.1+ channels of audio, and whatever else may evolve in the future… which is all possible with USB-C 3.1.
  • Reply 56 of 157
    eightzero wrote: »
    iPad Pro with a stylus for detailed graphics work makes sense. I don't need one, but I can see the product being popular in a niche market.

I would love to have an iPad Pro model.
  • Reply 57 of 157
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I'm still going with Apple is registering as a religion, Campus 2 will be the new Vatican, and nerds will come from around the world on great pilgrimages to walk around it¡
  • Reply 58 of 157
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I'm still going with Apple is registering as a religion, Campus 2 will be the new Vatican, and nerds will come from around the world on great pilgrimages to walk around it¡

Perhaps a new Mecca?
  • Reply 59 of 157
    I guess it will only be a matter of hours before Samsung announces a September 8 event.
  • Reply 60 of 157
    solipsismy wrote: »

I'd like there to be something a lot more costly than the current Apple TV. Why? I want something that works as a true digital hub for the home. Meaning, I want something that is designed for the HEC (home entertainment center) that will run the primary TV — up to 4K with H.265 support — that has 802.11ac and GigE (I've given up on 10GigE even though we have WiFI that is faster than GigE) at leas one USB-A 3.0, if not USB-C 3.1, for running a HDD or RAID off the back wth the device running a built-in version of iTunes on the iOS/ARM system.

All other TVs will have the options for something, say, a $69 satellite Apple TV (1080p), or a more expensive $99-$149 satellite Apple TV (4K and H.265), both of which connect to the main Apple TV server hub to stream video. I'd like all this to be controlable via Siri with the remote control having button and mic so Siri known when to listen in a room with sound coming from the HEC or other speakers. I'd also like the remote control to be a built-in battery that is charged via induction when placed atop any of the Apple TVs as well as after market party option for additional charger in case your ideal position for your remote when not is use is not where your Apple TV rests.

Additionally, I'd like the remote to use a Touch ID-like system, but no so much for security, for sensing the person holding the remote control so that the UI, preferred channels, preferrers show, suggestions, blocked channels, and other settings alter to suit that viewer's need. This could also include the option for whether the show was un/watched, subtitle defaults, and location where it was last paused based on that user's iTunes for Apple TV Library account.

Finally, I'd like Apple to create an open standard which will allow any media extender appliance to work with any TV manufacturer without the simplistic and archaic use of a simple A/V cable. I'd like to see VESA-like standard for potentially mounting a media extender appliance to the back of a TV, as dedicated data cable type that will various standard setups by TV manufactures. For example, having a TV with motion sensors, light sensors, cameras (FaceTime), various mics, and enough data for 4K video and 9.1+ channels of audio, and whatever else may evolve in the future… which is all possible with USB-C 3.1.

All that and include GameKit, HomeKit, [cloud] BackupKit ...