Apple announces Sept. 9 event for 'iPhone 6s,' updated Apple TV at massive new venue

Comments

• Reply 121 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

That certainly worked for the iPod when they included a USB cable along with the FW400 for syncing and released iTunes for Windows, but I'm not sure how this would come a groundbreaking solution that doesn't already exist, since, as you state, the Apple TV already works with iTunes for Windows.

Except for iTunes, which was long ago dropped as an iLife app, I don't see any of Apple Creativity Apps nee iLife coming to Windows. That just seems like a lot work for little gain in potential SW sales. Same goes for Apple Productivity Apps nee iWork. If Windows users want access from a PC they can do so via iCloud.com.

What I could see on Windows is a new app from Apple that helps control and monitor the home hub. This is where Apple may want to sell HW that will need to tie into Windows and Android apps.

---

You mean create a version of Bootcamp for all Windows-based systems that will install Mac OS X as an alternative option? I don't see that. It's hard enough dealing with the very limited HW Apple needs to get Mac OS X working optimally, that I don't see how they could do that for every WinPC OEM and component maker out there.

If they already "switched" by having a free Mac OS X installation on their less expensive PC all they are really doing is increasing OS marketshare numbers, not increasing Mac sales. That would be worse than the clone makers Jobs put the kibosh on, since at least Apple had some say in the machines they built.

If it worked for the iPod, iPhone, and iPad in terms of massive new numbers of hardware sold to a platform with hundreds of millions of users, why won't it work for AppleTV? Of course, for AppleTV to be truly useful, it would have to be fully integrated with all of Apple's media-related software offerings -- a Windows user should have the ability to use with the same ease and functionality as a Mac OS user would (as is presently the case with iOS devices). It may be possible to achieve with just iTunes and an App, but I think that's a half-hearted solution. It may not lead to the same level of adoption.

Btw, I did not remotely suggest that Apple would sell iLife. That would indeed be trivial, revenue-wise. Apple would make its profits from selling hundreds of millions of new AppleTVs, and give away iLife (as they currently do with Mac OS users).

---

I think you interpreted my recommendation backwards -- it's possible I didn't state it very well.

I am suggesting that all Macs that are sold should have a user-friendly Bootcamp option to install Windows (the option currently exists, but is not user-friendly; it involves jumping through hoops for the average user). I am not remotely suggesting that Mac OS should be available on PCs. I am talking about Bootcamp (ideally, combined with iLife) to enable Apple to sell more Macs and AppleTVs, the two major Apple hardware devices that are not fully available to Windows users ands hence sell in fewer numbers than they otherwise might.

• Reply 122 of 157
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    I've been waiting if someone even mentioned this "one more thing": ?Car. It'd fck the WS over if Tim Cook adds that "one more thing".

Lol. I think he just might
  • Reply 123 of 157
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I'd go with a $399+ Apple TV model. Unless it is subsidised by content providers. apple doesn't do cheap as we are so often reminded.

The $99 model might stay around as an AirPlay device. But to have a serious console type device should cost.
  • Reply 124 of 157
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    thompr wrote: »
    I suspect that Apple has had a strong dedicated team working on this for YEARS in order to stun us. Don't be surprised if they get close to what you want.

Yes. I too think they've been sitting on this for years waiting for Siri to mature, maybe iCloud to mature, and possibly to get some content providers on line. The latter part hadn't happened but they don't want to delay.

The TV excites me more than any watch could.
  • Reply 125 of 157
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I hope the larger venue isn't for another U2 like fiasco.

What fiasco?
    If it worked for the iPod, iPhone, and iPad in terms of massive new numbers of hardware sold to a platform with hundreds of millions of users, why won't it work for AppleTV? Of course, for AppleTV to be truly useful, it would have to be fully integrated with all of Apple's media-related software offerings -- a Windows user should have the ability to use with the same ease and functionality as a Mac OS user would (as is presently the case with iOS devices). It may be possible to achieve with just iTunes and an App, but I think that's a half-hearted solution. It may not lead to the same level of adoption.

Btw, I did not remotely suggest that Apple would sell iLife. That would indeed be trivial, revenue-wise. Apple would make its profits from selling hundreds of millions of new AppleTVs, and give away iLife (as they currently do with Mac OS users).

But Apple TV's can already be used by people running Windows just as they can be used by people running Macs. They did that and it worked.
    I think you interpreted my recommendation backwards -- it's possible I didn't state it very well.

I am suggesting that all Macs that are sold should have a user-friendly Bootcamp option to install Windows (the option currently exists, but is not user-friendly; it involves jumping through hoops for the average user). I am not remotely suggesting that Mac OS should be available on PCs. I am talking about Bootcamp (ideally, combined with iLife) to enable Apple to sell more Macs and AppleTVs, the two major Apple hardware devices that are not fully available to Windows users ands hence sell in fewer numbers than they otherwise might.

1) This week I installed Win10 (for the first time) and I used Bootcamp (also for the first time). It's still installing an OS so it takes a little more effort than getting Angry Birds on my iPhone but I found their Bootcamp app to be simple and straightforward. I told it where the Win10 ISO was and it did all the work for me, including downloading and copying the Windows drivers to the USB flash drive and then installing them, which I thought I would have to do myself. The only quirks I saw were during the Windows installation which used an archaic resolution on my Retina MBP so the UI boxes and text were very small, and that occasionally I could see a Windows Command window flash in the upper right for less than a second which told me that Win10, despite its new look is still using a lot of clunky code underneath.

2) Based on my experience I think Apple has done plenty to support Windows on Mac except for some clever use of internal partitions to move the WinOS and Win drivers to to imitate the installation sequence without needing a 4GB or larger USB flash drive I honestly can't think of much else that can be done to make it easier for the Windows user. I don't think.

3) When you write, "Bootcamp (ideally, combined with iLife)" that reads like you want iLife for Windows. The only other option I can think of is you want these iLife apps to be their own bootable OS that you can choose when you hold down the Option key upon boot. I also don't understand, "...enable Apple to sell more Macs and AppleTVs, the two major Apple hardware devices that are not fully available to Windows users." How is the Apple TV not available to Windows users? Windows Phone users, sure, but Android is in that same boat. And I don't understand how Macs are not fully available to Windows users after you mentioned Bootcamp.
  • Reply 126 of 157
    I got 8 different responses from Siri when I asked for clues. Some were kind of funny...
    http://gizmorap.com/2015/08/27/hey-siri-give-us-a-hint/
  • Reply 127 of 157
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member
    Dollars to donuts that the new AppleTV is controlled by the usual remote or by voice via any device that uses Siri, including - going out on a limb - OS X, but you'd think it'd be in the 10.11 betas by now so that may be a huge reach.
  • Reply 128 of 157
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    asdasd wrote: »
    I'd go with a $399+ Apple TV model. Unless it is subsidised by content providers. apple doesn't do cheap as we are so often reminded.

The $99 model might stay around as an AirPlay device. But to have a serious console type device should cost.

I think $399 is a bit steep. Why play into the PS4/XBox One territory if you don't have to?
    $79 for the entry level model (same as current Apple TV with faster processor)
    $249 for a higher end model
  • Reply 129 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

But Apple TV's can already be used by people running Windows just as they can be used by people running Macs. They did that and it worked.

----

1) This week I installed Win10 (for the first time) and I used Bootcamp (also for the first time). It's still installing an OS so it takes a little more effort than getting Angry Birds on my iPhone but I found their Bootcamp app to be simple and straightforward. I told it where the Win10 ISO was and it did all the work for me, including downloading and copying the Windows drivers to the USB flash drive and then installing them, which I thought I would have to do myself. The only quirks I saw were during the Windows installation which used an archaic resolution on my Retina MBP so the UI boxes and text were very small, and that occasionally I could see a Windows Command window flash in the upper right for less than a second which told me that Win10, despite its new look is still using a lot of clunky code underneath.

----

2) Based on my experience I think Apple has done plenty to support Windows on Mac except for some clever use of internal partitions to move the WinOS and Win drivers to to imitate the installation sequence without needing a 4GB or larger USB flash drive I honestly can't think of much else that can be done to make it easier for the Windows user. I don't think.

----

3) When you write, "Bootcamp (ideally, combined with iLife)" that reads like you want iLife for Windows. The only other option I can think of is you want these iLife apps to be their own bootable OS that you can choose when you hold down the Option key upon boot. I also don't understand, "...enable Apple to sell more Macs and AppleTVs, the two major Apple hardware devices that are not fully available to Windows users." How is the Apple TV not available to Windows users? Windows Phone users, sure, but Android is in that same boat. And I don't understand how Macs are not fully available to Windows users after you mentioned Bootcamp.

I guess I am also (implicitly) proposing that something like AirPlay be made available for Windows. Apparently, there are Apps that claim to be able to do it, though.

While at it, open up FaceTime for Windows too... take on Skype!

---

It's good to hear that Bootcamp is simple and straightforward with Windows 10. That wasn't the case the last time I installed Windows, which was a few years ago. Perhaps it's different now.

---

I certainly agree that Apple has done a lot to support Windows users.  

---

Yes, I am, indeed, proposing that Apple have iLife (and Siri) for Windows.

• Reply 130 of 157
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I guess I am also (implicitly) proposing that something like AirPlay be made available for Windows. Apparently, there are Apps that claim to be able to do it, though.

I think YouTube has something built in that will do that for many streaming devices.
    While at it, open up FaceTime for Windows too... take on Skype!

That, and iMessages, would be an interesting addition for Windows, but wouldn't that be better suited for Android so if it's on Windows I'd think it would be there, too.
    It's good to hear that Bootcamp is simple and straightforward with Windows 10. That wasn't the case the last time I installed Windows, which was a few years ago. Perhaps it's different now.

Like I said, my first time so I don't know what it was like before.
    Yes, I am, indeed, proposing that Apple have iLife (and Siri) for Windows.

So you want Garageband and iMovie for Windows? What's the real draw for all that effort? Since they don't connect to Apple HW I just don't see that happening. As I noted, it's no longer called iLife since they were placed on the Mac App Store, even if we use it colloquially.
  • Reply 131 of 157
    $999! It'll be powered with the computing power of a human brain and will beat Amazon's Alexa like a redheaded stepchild.

That will be the Apple TV Edition.
  • Reply 132 of 157
    jpellino wrote: »
    Dollars to donuts that the new AppleTV is controlled by the usual remote or by voice via any device that uses Siri, including - going out on a limb - OS X, but you'd think it'd be in the 10.11 betas by now so that may be a huge reach.

I think that's what AppleInsider was insinuating. Otherwise, there's no connection between Siri and AppleTV. There isn't even a way to get Siri input into ATV.

It'd be interesting of Apple could still surprise us. The rumor mill is in the "spoilers as link bait" business. :)
  • Reply 133 of 157
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member

there is no $99 model...it's $69. Apple would be crazy to price it at $399. Apple TVs have to be affordable for multiple devices are used in one household. The contents generate long term revenue, not the hardware especially there is a bunch of brands out there which can do the same for much less.
  • Reply 134 of 157
    rogifan wrote: »
    I hope the larger venue isn't for another U2 like fiasco.

Something tells me Apple will be paying for that gift for the next 25 years.
  • Reply 135 of 157
    jpellino wrote: »

Why could it not be in a "10.11.1" beta or post-10.11 rollout software update?
  • Reply 136 of 157
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    cali wrote: »

The only way I see a remote-less AppleTV happen is if they revamp Siri so well, everything can be done using voice alone.

Even then it would be nice to have a remote with mic. Not everyone has their TV devices within 12 feet of themselves.

I don't want to talk to my remote nor my TV though I do like interacting with Alexa.
  • Reply 137 of 157
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member

A $400 Apple TV would be the end of the device. It's not hardware but rather content that matters. Under $100, apps and better content.
  • Reply 138 of 157
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    But we have not seen any prototype of the new ATV. why haven't they leaked out. With all the analysis sniffing around Apple's supply chain you would this prototypes would have leaked out like we see with iPhone. No prototypes then it must not be real.

They don't release new versions on a predictable schedule and have to make ten million of them before the announcement. Leaks have a higher probability when a very hyped product like iPhone gets updated like clockwork, and manufactured in insane numbers.
  • Reply 139 of 157
    satchmo wrote: »
    Why play into the PS4/XBox One territory if you don't have to?

Maybe because the new ? TV will also be a top notch video game console in addition to everything else we are wishing for here?
  • Reply 140 of 157
    pmcd wrote: »
    I don't want to talk to my remote nor my TV though I do like interacting with Alexa.

If all of my TV entertainment needs can get served by a new ? TV, such that I don't need a cable box and video game console as well, and if it can be elegantly controlled by voice via my ? Watch, then I'm all in!!! (Of course, actual game play would need more than voice input. I'm just talking about the mechanics of accessing what you want to do or view in a simple manner.)