Apple announces Sept. 9 event for 'iPhone 6s,' updated Apple TV at massive new venue

Comments

• Reply 81 of 157
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

$69 is CRA-CRA for a full featured HD-DVR.

A basic Tivo cost $500 and people are paying $240 a year just to rent a cable box.

The new AppleTV will replace DVR's with 128GB/256GB onboard storage, new touch screen remote.  I'm thinking minimum $199 probabily closer to $299.

The Touch Screen Remote will be your iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad, or maybe even your Mac/Macbook.  Why reinvent the wheel.

• Reply 82 of 157
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    Quote:

$69 is CRA-CRA for a full featured HD-DVR.

A basic Tivo cost $500 and people are paying $240 a year just to rent a cable box.

The new AppleTV will replace DVR's with 128GB/256GB onboard storage, new touch screen remote.  I'm thinking minimum $199 probabily closer to $299.

I'd be down with that...if it is as capable as you suggest. I do need it to replace my cable box at that price. 

Curious to see if Tim will announce ATV is no longer a hobby.

• Reply 83 of 157
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

nope.  You need a dedicated remote.  Who wants to grab their phone to watch TV or drain their iPhone battery?  Plus the remote will have more features than just what an iPod can do.

Gonna self ban yourself if it does not have it's own special touchscreen remote?

• Reply 84 of 157
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm holding out for AppleTV Pro. I'm sick of consumer TVs. I need pro specs in my electronics to feel good about myself.

MilSpec TV: go Mil or go home!

Camo case, optional.

• Reply 85 of 157
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

nope.  You need a dedicated remote.  Who wants to grab their phone to watch TV or drain their iPhone battery?  Plus the remote will have more features than just what an iPod can do.

Not sure about that. My FIOS remote APP on my iPhone is a lot better than the dedicated remote that came with the set top box. Searching, current what's on, color coded for genre on the display, fast scrolling through everything, "favorites" and on and on. The dedicated remote just sits there waiting for buttons (buttons!) to be pushed in the correct sequence.

Granted a touchcreen doohickey that mimics a phone app would be okay (and logical for the market of non-iPhone owners).

• Reply 86 of 157
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member

I did both. Local business wins out over snappy answer. 

Interesting... I got a local business in the U.S. case and a snappy answer in the ME case. The snappy answer was quite intriguing. It was something like...

"Can you get a hint? No. However, after September 9th you might get a what what."

It seems that the word "what" is like a blank... so I might get a two word thing. Like Apple TV or Apple Watch. Probably the former.
  • Reply 87 of 157
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Not at all, I just wanted to be clear about my lofty desires.

Note that I also detailed how I would want Apple to get into mobile payments years before they did and it's pretty much dead on, right down to the representational card numbers issued by the bank per device, so maybe Apple can show us all this in 2 weeks, or at least show up a foundation that will eventually support all I've said… but, frankly, I doubt it. If there hadn't been any other new products or services in awhile, then perhaps, but Apple has been very busy so I'm only expecting a medium bump for the home.

I suspect that Apple has had a strong dedicated team working on this for YEARS in order to stun us. Don't be surprised if they get close to what you want.
  • Reply 88 of 157
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I'm still going with Apple is registering as a religion, Campus 2 will be the new Vatican, and nerds will come from around the world on great pilgrimages to walk around it¡

Seven times.

• Reply 89 of 157
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    Quote:

He said it wasn't a hobby in 2014

Curious to hear if Tim reiterates from his announcement in 2014 that ATV is no longer a hobby, because...here it is.

• Reply 90 of 157
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    But we have not seen any prototype of the new ATV. why haven't they leaked out. With all the analysis sniffing around Apple's supply chain you would this prototypes would have leaked out like we see with iPhone. No prototypes then it must not be real.
  • Reply 91 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Does anyone else think the logo is a finger pressing down (Force Touch)?

After watching the image again, it is almost impossible not to see this :-)

• Reply 92 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Granted a touchcreen doohickey that mimics a phone app would be okay (and logical for the market of non-iPhone owners).

That got me thinking. It should be pretty cheap to have a touchscreen device with minimal processing/memory that is basically a dedicated browser, where the interface (or parts of it) is served from the ATV. UI would always be up to date.

• Reply 93 of 157
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

And here's something that will drive Sog nuts. Mark Gurman says 6 and 6 plus are staying around just $100 cheaper. To me that says Apple is confident the new phones are a big enough upgrade that they don't have to worry about cannibalization because the exterior design is the same.

• Reply 94 of 157
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

But we have not seen any prototype of the new ATV. why haven't they leaked out.

FOUND ONE!

Oh, wait, no, that’s the iHome.

• Reply 95 of 157

I've said before that there is more than enough "smoke" generated by iPhone 6S rumor mill to hide quite a bit of other hardware almost as if "in plain sight", iPad, TV, etc. . . . 

Now, I have to guess that other than iPhone, iPad and/or TV, there is something else going on here. Perhaps not iPhone and/or iPad because the OS9 betas would certainly have "revealed" something by now. But, why in the heck would Apple have "teased" us with the reference to Siri? Siri mated with TV?

• Reply 96 of 157
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Curious to see if Tim will announce ATV is no longer a hobby.

He said it wasn't a hobby in 2014

He called it a "beloved hobby".  Still, it was clear that Apple was serious about it.

Was there actually a comment that it was not a hobby?

• Reply 97 of 157
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    dingpatch wrote: »
    I've said before that there is more than enough "smoke" generated by iPhone 6S rumor mill to hide quite a bit of other hardware almost as if "in plain sight", iPad, TV, etc. . . . 

Now, I have to guess that other than iPhone, iPad and/or TV, there is something else going on here. Perhaps not iPhone and/or iPad because the OS9 betas would certainly have "revealed" something by now. But, why in the heck would Apple have "teased" us with the reference to Siri? Siri mated with TV?

Who's saying its a TV thing?

Am I the only one who's first thought was Siri will get a massive overhaul?

That's my guess at least. I'm not seeing the TV reference here. It is strange they're renting out a huge venue.

7,000 seats.
    7,000 series aluminum.
    Hah! I cracked it!
  • Reply 98 of 157
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And here's something that will drive Sog nuts. Mark Gurman says 6 and 6 plus are staying around just $100 cheaper. To me that says Apple is confident the new phones are a big enough upgrade that they don't have to worry about cannibalization because the exterior design is the same.

Well first it's a rumor, and second: that's a tall order for an "S" product. So far we can expect it to be slightly faster, perhaps a better camera (which is not saying much given Apple's emphasis on how great the 6/6Plus cameras are), less bendable, ForceTouch (not sure how big a draw that will be), rose gold color, selfie flash, and possibly OLED. I'm not sure most will feel like that justifies a premium over what is already a pretty amazing phone.

So if true, then Cook really doesn't care about cannibalization. What he loses in higher margins, he gains in wider sales I suppose.

• Reply 99 of 157
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    2 weeks out. I guess it's gonna be a big one.

I was thinking the same thing. They usually send these invitations a week in advance. I guess they expect leaks.
  • Reply 100 of 157
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    icoco3 wrote: »
    The Touch Screen Remote will be your iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad, or maybe even your Mac/Macbook.  Why reinvent the wheel.

Are you the person who suggested it would take attention away from iPhone if it had a touchscreen? Not saying it was you, but that was funny.

I'm sure consumers would be PISSED if it was remoteness.
    I'm betting it will at least feature TouchID.
    I'm hoping for Force Touch, mic and maybe a few other surprises.

Not sure why people assume the remote would look like an iPhone either.
    ???
    jfc1138 wrote: »

Not sure about that. My FIOS remote APP on my iPhone is a lot better than the dedicated remote that came with the set top box. Searching, current what's on, color coded for genre on the display, fast scrolling through everything, "favorites" and on and on. The dedicated remote just sits there waiting for buttons (buttons!) to be pushed in the correct sequence.

Not sure what that crap remote has to do with Apple products. I've never seen Apple adopt such archaic work. Even the current remote is years ahead.