Apple announces Sept. 9 event for 'iPhone 6s,' updated Apple TV at massive new venue

Comments

• Reply 101 of 157
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    I'm holding out for AppleTV Pro. I'm sick of consumer TVs. I need pro specs in my electronics to feel good about myself.

MilSpec TV: go Mil or go home!

Camo case, optional.

LOL!

AppleTV -- the first and only MilQual STB ... only $19,999.00 at your local BestBuy.
  • Reply 102 of 157
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Oops! Forgot to mention,

The only way I see a remote-less AppleTV happen is if they revamp Siri so well, everything can be done using voice alone.

Even then it would be nice to have a remote with mic. Not everyone has their TV devices within 12 feet of themselves.
  • Reply 103 of 157
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mac_128 wrote: »

Well first it's a rumor, and second: that's a tall order for an "S" product. So far we can expect it to be slightly faster, perhaps a better camera (which is not saying much given Apple's emphasis on how great the 6/6Plus cameras are), less bendable, ForceTouch (not sure how big a draw that will be), rose gold color, selfie flash, and possibly OLED. I'm not sure most will feel like that justifies a premium over what is already a pretty amazing phone.

So if true, then Cook really doesn't care about cannibalization. What he loses in higher margins, he gains in wider sales I suppose.

You're not sure but you're not everyone. But I'm not convinced a cheaper 6 will take sales away from the 6S. People coming from a 4S/5/5S would probably get the S model for the better camera if nothing else.
  • Reply 104 of 157
    sog35 wrote: »
    FYI Windows10 users can watch the event also.

Here's an off the wall prediction on this regarding why. I posted it in another thread, but thought I'd cut and paste here:

"My prediction is: AppleTV will work with Windows (from more than just iTunes). iLife and Siri will become compatible with Windows as well.

It will attract huge numbers of Windows users to AppleTV. The product is finally ready for takeoff.

Huge move with significant financial implications for Apple, if it comes to pass.

(Incidentally, given the Mac OS is now free and primarily exists in the Apple ecosystem to help sell more Apple hardware, why doesn't Apple just elevate Bootcamp to a new level of simplicity and integration to allow users to easily install Windows? If users then experience Mac OS and its elegance, security etc., they may decide to switch anyway. What does the dependence on Mac OS buy for Apple? Serious question!)"
  • Reply 105 of 157
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    cali wrote: »
    Who's saying its a TV thing?

Am I the only one who's first thought was Siri will get a massive overhaul?

That's my guess at least. I'm not seeing the TV reference here. It is strange they're renting out a huge venue.

7,000 seats.
    7,000 series aluminum.
    Hah! I cracked it!

True. With the whole Siri tie-in, it kinda makes sense. Though, why would you need double the seating capacity? They did make a bunch of Siri hires a couple years ago iirc and also bought a small ai company as well no? It's a possibility. Doubt it would be the big thing tho
  • Reply 106 of 157
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Oops! Forgot to mention,

The only way I see a remote-less AppleTV happen is if they revamp Siri so well, everything can be done using voice alone.

Even then it would be nice to have a remote with mic. Not everyone has their TV devices within 12 feet of themselves.

Others may feel differently, but I have zero interest in talking to my TV.

• Reply 107 of 157
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Every news program I see today is constantly telling viewers to download their app!

Because very soon it will be the only way they can make $$$ (via iAds)
  • Reply 108 of 157
    thompr wrote: »

I did both. Local business wins out over snappy answer. 

Interesting... I got a local business in the U.S. case and a snappy answer in the ME case. The snappy answer was quite intriguing. It was something like...

"Can you get a hint? No. However, after September 9th you might get a what what."

It seems that the word "what" is like a blank... so I might get a two word thing. Like Apple TV or Apple Watch. Probably the former.

Mmm ...

What what -- is that anything like:

[VIDEO]

or:

[VIDEO]

You Pick'em ... Say What What!
  • Reply 109 of 157
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    [@]SolipsismY[/@] - you're hardware wishes are also mine as you well know. I've just gotten tired of making silly predictions before every event, for a stand-alone iOS controlled Home Cloud/iTunes and TV Media Hub. Even at not much less than $500 I'm positive I could sell and install literally trunk-loads of such a device... even to Windows users.

Edited to add TV
  • Reply 110 of 157
    Well obviously the different colors around the zoomed in Apple logo represent Siri's colorful interface on Apple Watch. Also though, maybe I'm looking too much into the pic but Apple does like to give hints hidden in invitations. If you think of the stem of the apple as a finger, you can then picture the different colors as the screen and the "finger" pushing down representing force touch...or maybe not :)
  • Reply 111 of 157
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Here's an off the wall prediction on this regarding why. I posted it in another thread, but thought I'd cut and paste here:

"My prediction is: AppleTV will work with Windows (from more than just iTunes). iLife and Siri will become compatible with Windows as well.

It will attract huge numbers of Windows users to AppleTV. The product is finally ready for takeoff.

Huge move with significant financial implications for Apple, if it comes to pass.

That certainly worked for the iPod when they included a USB cable along with the FW400 for syncing and released iTunes for Windows, but I'm not sure how this would come a groundbreaking solution that doesn't already exist, since, as you state, the Apple TV already works with iTunes for Windows.

Except for iTunes, which was long ago dropped as an iLife app, I don't see any of Apple Creativity Apps nee iLife coming to Windows. That just seems like a lot work for little gain in potential SW sales. Same goes for Apple Productivity Apps nee iWork. If Windows users want access from a PC they can do so via iCloud.com.

What I could see on Windows is a new app from Apple that helps control and monitor the home hub. This is where Apple may want to sell HW that will need to tie into Windows and Android apps.
    (Incidentally, given the Mac OS is now free and primarily exists in the Apple ecosystem to help sell more Apple hardware, why doesn't Apple just elevate Bootcamp to a new level of simplicity and integration to allow users to easily install Windows?

You mean create a version of Bootcamp for all Windows-based systems that will install Mac OS X as an alternative option? I don't see that. It's hard enough dealing with the very limited HW Apple needs to get Mac OS X working optimally, that I don't see how they could do that for every WinPC OEM and component maker out there.
    If users then experience Mac OS and its elegance, security etc., they may decide to switch anyway. What does the dependence on Mac OS buy for Apple? Serious question!)"

If they already "switched" by having a free Mac OS X installation on their less expensive PC all they are really doing is increasing OS marketshare numbers, not increasing Mac sales. That would be worse than the clone makers Jobs put the kibosh on, since at least Apple had some say in the machines they built.
  • Reply 112 of 157
    [@]SolipsismY[/@] - you're hardware wishes are also mine as you well know. I've just gotten tired of making silly predictions before every event, for a stand-alone iOS controlled Home Cloud/iTunes and TV Media Hub. Even at not much less than $500 I'm positive I could sell and install literally trunk-loads of such a device... even to Windows users.

That's why they are wishes, not predictions. :D
  • Reply 113 of 157
    LOL!

AppleTV -- the first and only MilQual STB ... only $19,999.00 at your local BestBuy.

What I think is funny is AppleInsider's rationale:
    Siri = new AppleTV

Whuuuuuut? That's a leap. There may very well be a new TV, and I hope it's awesome. It'd be a shame if the rumor wasn't true, because it would only serve to embarrass Apple (rather the rumor-mongers). I mean, that's how the rumor game works: AppleInsider, MR, 9-5, like Wall St. analysts, sets up false rumors for months, and if Apple doesn't come through, everyone is "disappointed" at Apple, instead of the errant soothsayer.
  • Reply 114 of 157
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    All I know is that, that danm ?TV better come out this time. Tired of waiting rrrrr
  • Reply 115 of 157
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

"Siri, give us a hint."

"You'll have to wait until 9 September. I bet you were one of those kids who snuck downstairs to open presents early, weren't you?"

:)

• Reply 116 of 157
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You're not sure but you're not everyone. But I'm not convinced a cheaper 6 will take sales away from the 6S. People coming from a 4S/5/5S would probably get the S model for the better camera if nothing else.

It's less of an issue for the 6 in my mind, since people are conditioned to pay $199 anyway. But think about what this rumor means:

$450 -- 5S

$549 -- 6

$649 -- 6 Plus

$649 -- 6S

$749 -- 6S Plus

So, for the same price as the new 6S, you can get a 6 Plus. For an extra $100 you can have a 6 Plus with 64GB, compared to the new 6S Plus with only 16GB for the same price.

Are the new mid-model features really going to be so fantastic that most people wouldn't opt for last year's amazing model? I think it would be a really hard choice for most, unless money is just not a consideration at all. All I'm saying is I will be very curious to see if this rumor pans out and how it affects Apple. 

• Reply 117 of 157
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    redefiler wrote: »
    She told me:
    "What, you can't tell from my colorful wavey words?"

There is a difference between give us a hint and give me a hint.

Example: I just asked the following question:

``Siri give us all a hint.''

Response: ``That may be beyond my abilities at the moment.''
  • Reply 118 of 157
    There is a difference between give us a hint and give me a hint.

Example: I just asked the following question:

``Siri give us all a hint.''

Response: ``That may be beyond my abilities at the moment.''

In terms of meaning in the English language or in terms of Siri's ability to answer?
  • Reply 119 of 157
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    idrey wrote: »
    All I know is that, that danm ?TV better come out this time. Tired of waiting rrrrr
    I've been waiting if someone even mentioned this "one more thing": ?Car. It'd fck the WS over if Tim Cook adds that "one more thing".
  • Reply 120 of 157
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I hope the larger venue isn't for another U2 like fiasco.