Apple Store employees allegedly profile black students as potential thieves

1235789

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 173
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post





    You're right, we should fire people without knowing the facts of the story. Due process is so overrated. Overreaction now!

    And yet somehow it's totally okay for kids to be kicked out of a store because a security guard "thinks" they "might" steal something.



    The force is not strong with you.

  • Reply 82 of 173

    It has been reported on another site they had been hanging around the store for 40 minutes.  Trouble is no matter what Apple say the Teacher will call racist just hoping for some freebies.  He should be checking out the full story before he opens his mouth.  How often do they hang around the store and why were their bags not left  at the front of the store.  Usually there is a notice saying this.  If so ask him to answer or teach them to read.  Apple were in their right.  No student should go in groups to Malls or Shops and the teacher should be telling his students that. At least shops have seen their photos and will be able to keep a copy of they start hanging around their stores.

  • Reply 83 of 173

    I think the part that all of you who are so quick to dismiss this as not being racist, are not acknowledging is that Apple hires these security guards to...you know...GUARD $H!T! If he suspected that they MIGHT steal something, then just keep an eye on them to make sure they don't! That's his job. It's not to accuse people before anything has even been done. I used to work at an Apple Store and never in my time did a security guard ask anybody to leave the store based on assumption. At most they would sometimes ask people to turn down a device if they had the volume up too loud. 

     

    I'm not a hypersensitive person, but I know discrimination when I see it. Either way you slice this it's discriminatory and any reason why is not a good look.

  • Reply 84 of 173

    At least other shop keepers now have their photos to keep a watch out when they go in a group with backpacks and refuse to leave them at the front of the store. 

  • Reply 85 of 173
    ronnronn Posts: 650member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

    ONE person with ONE error?

    Yeah that's sort of B.S. People shouldn't lose their jobs, as easy as it is to be an internet bully, for an isolated incident. Certainly the manager, who corrected the problem immediately isn't actionable and as for the employee or employees? I'd say they get retrained and put on notice while the rest of the staff also get a refresher to drive the point home regarding Apple's approach to customer relations. Were a review of the records to reveal the employees had previous complaints? Then it's a different story both for them and for the manager. That is not the record at the moment.

    The manager's actions aren't enough? Okay so what should have been done other than discuss the incident with his customers and resolve it to their satisfaction?

    It's clearly more than one employee. There are two in the screenshot accompanying the post. In the video the Apple employee making the racist statement cuts off the teens asking questions and is incredibly rude, abruptly ending the discussion and barring them from re-entering. Even if he's just the manager on duty, that illustrates poor management skills. So yes, termination.

    It wasn't resolved immediately. The teens returned the next day with their principal and received an apology from the store manager. No indication that there will be any punishment, retraining, anything done. Again, absent the video, they probably wouldn't have even gotten a piddling apology.

    Of course fanboys will bend over backwards to defend Apple no matter the obvious flaws. I'd say it was despicable, but it's just typical.
  • Reply 86 of 173
    ronnronn Posts: 650member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I would buy the noise/behavior excuse if upon being asked to leave the store they became confrontational, and belligerent. Like young educated gentlemen they simply asked politely why they were being thrown out.

    Exactly. They were polite and the bonehead cut them off and barred re-entry. There's no indication that they were loud or unruly at any point.
  • Reply 87 of 173
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Wow. Someone should be fired if this story is completely true.
  • Reply 88 of 173
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Unfortunately "racism" has been used too many times where race wasn't a factor. It's like the boy who cried "wolf". When real racism rears its ugly head, people shrug and no one bats an eye. The race hustlers like Jesse and Sharpton diluted its meaning.

    Not everything is about race.
  • Reply 89 of 173
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,295member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

     

    That is sad and whoever initiated this (security guard and/or sales person) should be fired.  

    If only to set a lasting example.  This is very damaging to Apple's image.




    Really? One employee in one Apple Store worldwide makes a mistake and it's going to be damaging to Apple's image. No it's not.

  • Reply 90 of 173
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,295member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

    As for Apple stores, all groups of youth, regardless of race, should be watched in stores.:smokey: 




    And watch out Apple for those folks 65 and older on a fixed income! ;)

  • Reply 91 of 173
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Unfortunately "racism" has been used too many times where race wasn't a factor. It's like the boy who cried "wolf". When real racism rears its ugly head, people shrug and no one bats an eye. The race hustlers like Jesse and Sharpton diluted its meaning.

    Not everything is about race.

    So what was a factor in getting those young men ejected from the store? What about them made the staff fear they were there to steal?
  • Reply 92 of 173
    Originally Posted by LarryJW View Post

    "[T]he USA which had slaves" should read "The USA which has slaves". 


     

    Every country has illegal sexual slaves. Every country has legal usury debt slaves. Some countries have illegal chattel slavery.

     

    There is no legal slavery in the United States.

  • Reply 93 of 173
    ronnronn Posts: 650member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    So what was a factor in getting those young men ejected from the store? What about them made the staff fear they were there to steal?

    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply.
  • Reply 94 of 173
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

     

    I think the part that all of you who are so quick to dismiss this as not being racist, are not acknowledging is that Apple hires these security guards to...you know...GUARD $H!T! If he suspected that they MIGHT steal something, then just keep an eye on them to make sure they don't! That's his job. It's not to accuse people before anything has even been done. I used to work at an Apple Store and never in my time did a security guard ask anybody to leave the store based on assumption. At most they would sometimes ask people to turn down a device if they had the volume up too loud. 

     

    I'm not a hypersensitive person, but I know discrimination when I see it. Either way you slice this it's discriminatory and any reason why is not a good look.




    I completely agree that the correct initial response, if they found the students behavior to be suspicious, would have been to keep an eye on them. But I still do not see direct evidence of racism - only the assumption that because the staff were white and the students black, that it must have been racism. The video certainly doesn't provide any direct evidence of racism - if you only listened to the audio you would have been unable to draw that conclusion. 

  • Reply 95 of 173
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post



    Unfortunately "racism" has been used too many times where race wasn't a factor. It's like the boy who cried "wolf". When real racism rears its ugly head, people shrug and no one bats an eye. The race hustlers like Jesse and Sharpton diluted its meaning.



    Not everything is about race.




    So what was a factor in getting those young men ejected from the store? What about them made the staff fear they were there to steal?



    So what are you suggesting - that in the absence of knowing the answer to that important question, we should just assume racism?

  • Reply 96 of 173
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    muppetry wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
     
    jungmark wrote: »
    Unfortunately "racism" has been used too many times where race wasn't a factor. It's like the boy who cried "wolf". When real racism rears its ugly head, people shrug and no one bats an eye. The race hustlers like Jesse and Sharpton diluted its meaning.


    Not everything is about race.


    So what was a factor in getting those young men ejected from the store? What about them made the staff fear they were there to steal?


    So what are you suggesting - that in the absence of knowing the answer to that important question, we should just assume racism?

    It's what I call 'reduce then deduce'. Let's eliminate reasons why they'd be suspected of being thieves. Thuggery? Nope, they were well mannered, and well spoken. Low socioeconomic class? Perhaps, but that's not evident in their form of dress.

    So what are we left with? We have young black gentlemen in presentable attire, and with docile demeanors being told to leave the store because the staff was worried of their 'presence'.

    These young men were as presentable as can be yet they were deemed a theft risk. Why? The color of their skin is the only answer that fits.
  • Reply 97 of 173
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post



     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post



    Unfortunately "racism" has been used too many times where race wasn't a factor. It's like the boy who cried "wolf". When real racism rears its ugly head, people shrug and no one bats an eye. The race hustlers like Jesse and Sharpton diluted its meaning.





    Not everything is about race.






    So what was a factor in getting those young men ejected from the store? What about them made the staff fear they were there to steal?






    So what are you suggesting - that in the absence of knowing the answer to that important question, we should just assume racism?




    It's what I call 'reduce then deduce'. Let's eliminate reasons why they'd be suspected of being thieves. Thuggery? Nope, they were well mannered, and well spoken. Low socioeconomic class? Perhaps, but that's not evident in their form of dress.



    So what are we left with? We have young black gentlemen in presentable attire, and with docile demeanors being told to leave the store because the staff was worried of their 'presence'.



    These young men were as presentable as can be yet they were deemed a theft risk. Why? The color of their skin is the only answer that fits.



    It's the only answer that fits your preconception of the event, would be more accurate I think. 

  • Reply 98 of 173
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    So what was a factor in getting those young men ejected from the store? What about them made the staff fear they were there to steal?



    It's never said in the video and no one has been quoted giving those reasons. That is why any supposed reason is pure speculation. Asserting that it's racism (or anything else for that matter) is nothing but reading biases into this case.

  • Reply 99 of 173
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    muppetry wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
     
    muppetry wrote: »
     
    dasanman69 wrote: »
     
    jungmark wrote: »
    Unfortunately "racism" has been used too many times where race wasn't a factor. It's like the boy who cried "wolf". When real racism rears its ugly head, people shrug and no one bats an eye. The race hustlers like Jesse and Sharpton diluted its meaning.



    Not everything is about race.



    So what was a factor in getting those young men ejected from the store? What about them made the staff fear they were there to steal?



    So what are you suggesting - that in the absence of knowing the answer to that important question, we should just assume racism?


    It's what I call 'reduce then deduce'. Let's eliminate reasons why they'd be suspected of being thieves. Thuggery? Nope, they were well mannered, and well spoken. Low socioeconomic class? Perhaps, but that's not evident in their form of dress.


    So what are we left with? We have young black gentlemen in presentable attire, and with docile demeanors being told to leave the store because the staff was worried of their 'presence'.


    These young men were as presentable as can be yet they were deemed a theft risk. Why? The color of their skin is the only answer that fits.


    It's the only answer that fits your preconception of the event, would be more accurate I think. 

    Or your ignorance, and denial of it. You give the staff a pass because they work for Apple, and anything, and everything Apple can't do wrong in your eyes.
  • Reply 100 of 173
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post



     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post



     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post



     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post



    Unfortunately "racism" has been used too many times where race wasn't a factor. It's like the boy who cried "wolf". When real racism rears its ugly head, people shrug and no one bats an eye. The race hustlers like Jesse and Sharpton diluted its meaning.







    Not everything is about race.








    So what was a factor in getting those young men ejected from the store? What about them made the staff fear they were there to steal?








    So what are you suggesting - that in the absence of knowing the answer to that important question, we should just assume racism?






    It's what I call 'reduce then deduce'. Let's eliminate reasons why they'd be suspected of being thieves. Thuggery? Nope, they were well mannered, and well spoken. Low socioeconomic class? Perhaps, but that's not evident in their form of dress.





    So what are we left with? We have young black gentlemen in presentable attire, and with docile demeanors being told to leave the store because the staff was worried of their 'presence'.





    These young men were as presentable as can be yet they were deemed a theft risk. Why? The color of their skin is the only answer that fits.






    It's the only answer that fits your preconception of the event, would be more accurate I think. 




    Or your ignorance, and denial of it. You give the staff a pass because they work for Apple, and anything, and everything Apple can't do wrong in your eyes.



    Now you have transitioned seamlessly to stating your preconceptions about me? That doesn't help your argument either - just speaks to a pattern of weakness in your thinking. Just as a reminder on what I posted previously, I think that this was quite possibly racial profiling, but I detest the lazy thinking that leads to the kinds of posts littering this thread asserting that  racism is the only possible explanation.

Sign In or Register to comment.