Apple delays HomePod launch until 'early 2018'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited November 2017
Originally scheduled to debut in December, Apple has pushed the launch of its Siri-equipped HomePod speaker into early 2018, saying the company needs more time to complete the home audio accessory.




"We can't wait for people to experience HomePod, Apple's breakthrough wireless speaker for the home, but we need a little more time before it's ready for our customers. We'll start shipping in the U.S., U.K. and Australia in early 2018," the company said in a statement to TechCrunch.

Apple didn't immediately offer an explanation for the delay. The smartspeaker was originally slated to ship next month for $349.

The HomePod hardware was unveiled at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June. While Apple has positioned the device as a premium, high-quality speaker, the accessory is also Apple's answer to intelligent home speakers like Amazon's Echo and Google Home.

HomePod


With Siri support built in, the speaker is capable of answering basic user queries, controlling HomeKit-connected appliances and playing back media content. HomePod puts a premium on performance and design, with a 3D mesh acoustic fabric enshrouding a 7-tweeter pack, 6-microphone beamforming array and central up-firing subwoofer.

The HomePod will also feature AirPlay 2 technology, which allows one iOS device to simultaneously stream music to multiple speakers at once. Third-party accessory makers will also have the ability to integrate AirPlay 2, but it's not clear whether the HomePod delay will also affect alternative AirPlay 2 certified speakers.

With the iPhone X now available and the HomePod delayed, the only remaining product expected from Apple in 2017 is the all-new iMac Pro. Apple has said that the professional-grade all-in-one desktop will launch in December starting at $4,999.
«134567

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 133
    HomePodGATE !!!

    Is iMac ProGATE next ?!?!?
    edited November 2017 cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 133
    Bleh.
  • Reply 3 of 133
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 1,916member
    oops.
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 133
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 4,945member
    I think this was inevitable, given the lack of chatter about it recently. And I expect it will be lucky to meet the first quarter. 
    leighc-sfojahbladerazorpit
  • Reply 5 of 133
    Bummer, there goes my planned big gift for the family 😢
    watto_cobraspliff monkeyrazorpit
  • Reply 6 of 133
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 1,616member
    I was laughed at a few months ago here because I said Tim cool is a poor leader. 
    williamlondontallest skil
  • Reply 7 of 133
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    I said it before, Apple announced HomePod too early.

    I had a bad feeling about the December date and the lack of mention/hype from Apple since announcement.

    Same could be for iMac Pro.
    repressthisjbdragonrazorpit
  • Reply 8 of 133
    Bummer, there goes my planned big gift for the family  :'(
  • Reply 9 of 133
    It would be easy for Apple to start selling this in pre-order fashion before the holidays, and deliver early 2018.  It would be cool if they did that, but regardless I think them releasing it before it's ready would be a worse sign than releasing it after they said they would. Does anyone care now that AirPods were delayed? Not really.
    tmayoneof52equality72521welshdogjahblademike1caliMartin57JWSC
  • Reply 10 of 133
    Sad face. Now I gotta think of another Christmas gift for myself.
    cornchipwatto_cobraspliff monkey
  • Reply 11 of 133
    Oops...
  • Reply 12 of 133
    It's a speaker. At the end of the day, regardless how good it is, it is a speaker with WiFi/easy pairing. Given Google and Amazon are pumping these out left and right???

    Really? Delayed?
    williamlondonflyingdpcornchip
  • Reply 13 of 133
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 232member
    Darn, this was on my list. Now my wife will have to find something else for me. Probably get a couple of shirts instead. What fun is that?
    oneof52equality72521watto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 14 of 133
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 1,616member
    Apple's problem is software.  It is ridiculous hundreds of millions of iPhone users have to install and updates new iOS weekly.  Monthly may be a more reasonable period. I refuse to install iOS 11 because I hate the constant reminder from Apple to install new OSs which are mainly to fix bugs and some are not ever related to my phone. 
    fallenjtstukewilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingampaisleydisco
  • Reply 15 of 133
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,073member
    tzeshan said:
    I was laughed at a few months ago here because I said Tim cool is a poor leader. 
    Never mind the endless amount of things delayed under Steve. I guess he was a poor leader too. 

    tzeshan said:
    Apple's problem is software.  It is ridiculous hundreds of millions of iPhone users have to install and updates new iOS weekly.  Monthly may be a more reasonable period. I refuse to install iOS 11 because I hate the constant reminder from Apple to install new OSs which are mainly to fix bugs and some are not ever related to my phone. 
    yes, its absolutely ridiculous that Apple fixes their OS. Maybe they should be like Android and just drop support 2 months after the phone comes out. 
    charlesgresoneof52mwhitewilliamlondonboxcatcherwelshdogjahbladerandominternetpersonmike1gregoriusm
  • Reply 16 of 133
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,798member
    Goid way to miss holiday sales, Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 133
    macxpress said:
    tzeshan said:
    I was laughed at a few months ago here because I said Tim cool is a poor leader. 
    Never mind the endless amount of things delayed under Steve. I guess he was a poor leader too. 

    tzeshan said:
    Apple's problem is software.  It is ridiculous hundreds of millions of iPhone users have to install and updates new iOS weekly.  Monthly may be a more reasonable period. I refuse to install iOS 11 because I hate the constant reminder from Apple to install new OSs which are mainly to fix bugs and some are not ever related to my phone. 
    yes, its absolutely ridiculous that Apple fixes their OS. Maybe they should be like Android and just drop support 2 months after the phone comes out. 
    Or how about not have so many issues in the first place so you don’t have to constantly send OS updates?
    williamlondongatorguymuthuk_vanalingamrepressthis
  • Reply 18 of 133
    No problem.

    I'll continue to enjoy and utilize my Amazon Echos as smart speakers.

    When I want to listen to higher quality music, I'll continue to listen to my receiver and speakers.
    repressthis
  • Reply 19 of 133
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 1,616member
    macxpress said:
    tzeshan said:
    I was laughed at a few months ago here because I said Tim cool is a poor leader. 
    Never mind the endless amount of things delayed under Steve. I guess he was a poor leader too. 

    tzeshan said:
    Apple's problem is software.  It is ridiculous hundreds of millions of iPhone users have to install and updates new iOS weekly.  Monthly may be a more reasonable period. I refuse to install iOS 11 because I hate the constant reminder from Apple to install new OSs which are mainly to fix bugs and some are not ever related to my phone. 
    yes, its absolutely ridiculous that Apple fixes their OS. Maybe they should be like Android and just drop support 2 months after the phone comes out. 
    Pointless accusation to Jobs. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 133
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,113member
    Apple came to their senses. A new product with a December launch? That’s insane 
    rare commentmark fearing
Sign In or Register to comment.