Apple Vision Pro $3,499 mixed-reality headset launches at WWDC after years of rumors

Comments

• Reply 61 of 245
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    welshdog said:
    This is a VERY Apple device. Those saying otherwise are just being willfully contrary. Everything about it screams Apple - both inside and out.

That being said, it's not for me - I seem to have a limit on how much tech interaction I can handle. I couldn't even manage to wear an Apple watch for more than a couple weeks before I put it on my dresser and forgot about it.
    Bruh. Steve Jobs would fire the staffers pushing a freaking headset for one. Then add a wire that dangles down your body. Then add a stupid power pack that you have to wear on your waist. It’s quite ridiculous. There were a thousand “no’s” that needed to happen but didn’t. 

The design looks like a Microsoft product. Super clunky. It’s just a riff off of what other people have made, but with better specs. It doesn’t really do anything different or transform anything - and it uses Unity for 3D when the rest of the world is using the vastly superior unreal engine 5 (Epic being turds notwithstanding). 

The only “appley” thing about it is the watch ui rip. And I’m… it uses glass. The design isn’t nice. It’s basically the same design as everything else with a bit of change, more expensive materials, and the fisher price tension mechanism. Looks even more like scuba gear with “eyesight” active, which is the biggest waste of battery power. Unbelievable they spent so much on “hey. Look at a fake version of my eyes from outside. Oh. Wait. I’m watching a movie… now look at color blobs from outside.” What the…no wonder you have to lug around a battery pack. Wonder how many washes to get the head grease out. 

Just because it is made by Apple doesn’t mean you have to turn off your brain. 

As I mentioned prior to the event, it turned out to be the best headset so far. But… it’s still a headset. And they’re just not that big a deal. You can put lipstick on a headset… but it’s still a headset. 
    edited June 2023 designrAlex1N
  • Reply 62 of 245
    It feels like Ready Player One meets swimming goggles. Have a look at what it offers with an open mind ... Unfortunately, I think it needs to be less intrusive, less costly for it to really take off. Maybe version 2 like google glass. Thoughts?
    nubuswatto_cobratht
  • Reply 63 of 245
    XedXed Posts: 2,572member
    welshdog said:
    This is a VERY Apple device. Those saying otherwise are just being willfully contrary. Everything about it screams Apple - both inside and out.

That being said, it's not for me - I seem to have a limit on how much tech interaction I can handle. I couldn't even manage to wear an Apple watch for more than a couple weeks before I put it on my dresser and forgot about it.
    Bruh. Steve Jobs would fire the staffers pushing a freaking headset for one. Then add a wire that dangles down your body. Then add a stupid power pack that you have to wear on your waist. It’s quite ridiculous. There were a thousand “no’s” that needed to happen but didn’t. 

The design looks like a Microsoft product. Super clunky. It’s just a riff off of what other people have made, but with better specs. It doesn’t really do anything different or transform anything - and it uses Unity for 3D when the rest of the world is using the vastly superior unreal engine 5 (Epic being turfs notwithstanding). 

As I mentioned prior to the event, it turned out to be the best headset so far. But… it’s still a headset. And they’re just not that big a deal. 
    So your brilliant solution is to add a giant battery pack to the headset. You really sound like you know exactly what Steve Jobs would do. eye🙄
    baconstanganantksundaramkiltedgreenwilliamlondondewmeiqatedowatto_cobraAlex1Njony0
  • Reply 64 of 245
    Apple pushes this out before it’s prime time ready because it creates the mass market for it. It pushes development and sets the expectation this will be a mainstream product in a few years. Before Apple the smart watch was small niche product. The first gen wasn’t great but it paved the way for the one’s we have now. 
    edited June 2023 tmaybaconstangRudeBoyRudyhcrefugeewatto_cobraradarthekatAlex_VAlex1N
  • Reply 65 of 245
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    This is a game changer.

Can’t wait to be immersed in SCUBA scenes, space odyssey scenes, intense gaming, all with spatial sound - will be incredible.

Couple with a zero gravity chair and you’ll float away.

And for VanLifers and RV folks this will provide a level of entertainment and productivity not possible in their small confines.

Seems EyeSight is completely unnecessary for most use cases and therefore will be axed in future versions, not unlike the TouchBar on MacBook Pros.
    tmayrezwitsdewmewatto_cobraAlex_VAlex1Njony0
  • Reply 66 of 245
    XedXed Posts: 2,572member
    DocUpdate said:
    It feels like Ready Player One meets swimming goggles. Have a look at what it offers with an open mind ... Unfortunately, I think it needs to be less intrusive, less costly for it to really take off. Maybe version 2 like google glass. Thoughts?
    Did you honestly not question why they started off with Apple Vision Pro out of the gate? The path is clear, Apple just needs to see how it sells, what HW and SW apects work best en masse, and then we'll get a cheaper consumer version out of mix.
    lotonestmayhcrefugeewilliamlondonrezwitswatto_cobraradarthekatAlex1Njony0
  • Reply 67 of 245
    "... and the first device Apple users see through ..."

I could see through my graphite G3 iMac SE. Following this evidence to conclusions utilizing Standard Interwebs Logic:

My iMac is similarly advanced;

The Vision Pro will be a great success.
    rezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 245
    tuckjo77 said:
    I wear glasses and have my whole life. Will the device word for me???
    It looks like it was supposed to be actual glasses but apple rushed it. So it’s scuba gear now. 

I’d say don’t bother yet. When they get their act together and make a pair of glasses/sunglasses that does this, that might be great. But right now, it’s a bill gates level nerd toy. Which is fine if you have the cash and want a toy to tinker with. And there was a rumor that there would be corrective lenses on offer. Still waiting on that one. 

But if you have always worn glasses, I don’t know that you’d want a screen so close to each eye for long periods of time.  
  • Reply 69 of 245
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    welshdog said:

The design looks like a Microsoft product. Super clunky. It’s just a riff off of what other people have made, but with better specs. It doesn’t really do anything different or transform anything - and it uses Unity for 3D when the rest of the world is using the vastly superior unreal engine 5 (Epic being turfs notwithstanding). 

As I mentioned prior to the event, it turned out to be the best headset so far. But… it’s still a headset. And they’re just not that big a deal. 
    That's very harsh. My wife has a Quest and even with the overheating and low resolution she loves the immersive experience of watching video on it. 

She would take the Vision Pro over the Quest for the superior viewing experience. Throw in everything else which is similar to the Quest but better (completely logical given the changes over the last few years) and you have a device with promise.

In many ways the original iPhone was in a very similar situation on release.

I think it is worth putting on the market.

I would never buy one at that price because it needs far more development so I'll wait for the rich and famous to help fund it's development and see what happens two or three years from now. 
    dewmejony0
  • Reply 70 of 245
    dewme said:
    Pretty amazing for a 1.0 product ... but the price is going to scare away a lot of regular folks. 
    The price will come down rapidly. In a few years, it may cost not much more than what the highest-end iPhone costs today.

Initially, it'll be pitched to developers, high-end gamers, corporations, universities, etc., and Apple will probably sell no more than a few hundred thousand. In five years' time, the company could be selling many tens of millions. Also, the fact that it seems to be thoroughly integrated with the iPhone, the iPad and the Mac will make the entire ecosystem of apps available right from the get-go makes it all the more attractive.
    In a few years the OLD model can be bought used for cheaper, but just like any apple product, there will be new, even more expensive ones. 
  • Reply 71 of 245
    RudeBoyRudyRudeBoyRudy Posts: 106member
    jbilgihan said:
    It's HoloLens 3.0 8 years later.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/hololens

HaloLens 2023 price starting at $3,500 -- and the Vision Pro is better. 

anantksundaramhcrefugeewilliamlondonrezwitswatto_cobraradarthekatAlex1N
  • Reply 72 of 245
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    aderutter said:
    To me it’s the start of a new journey, only time will tell how it pans out, largely depending on what developers do with it, but if it’s like iPod, iPhone, airPods, iPad, Watch… 
    This. 
    Well said  
    RudeBoyRudyhcrefugeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 245
    techconc said:
    Here are my initial thoughts...

Positives
    • On the positive side, I do believe Apple will bring a best in class product to market.  As this type of device goes, this does look pretty cool (for what it is).
    Negatives
    • Apple continues to completely miss the boat on gaming.  The demo should have feature a AAA game as a reference for what is possible for others.  A vague mention of Apple Arcade doesn't cut it. 
    • "Starting price" of $3499 pretty much makes this a non-starter from the majority of people who don't actually need a device like this.  
    Maybe at half the price, with some future version maybe based on something like an M5 chip and a large catalog of games, etc. would this be compelling for me.  I'm curious to try it, but doubt I'd get one anytime soon (after it's released).

Well stated. It’s definitely the best headset out there. The problem is that it’s still.. a headset. 

I really thought Apple was going to get serious about gaming with this. That games would be a killer app. Then I saw they’re using Unity as their 3D base. So it will only be Apple Arcade games. And no one is going to buy this for that. 

It’s probably the best way to do a headset at the moment. And it’s still not enough. Apple would have been better served to concentrate on making the Mac Pro actually worthwhile and waiting until they could turn this thing into a pair of glasses. 
    techconc
  • Reply 74 of 245
    RudeBoyRudyRudeBoyRudy Posts: 106member
    MacPro said:
    The price is insane.
    Compared to what?
    comcastsucks didn't look up Microsoft HaloLens which starts $3,500

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 245
    One thing is for sure. NOT. An iPhone moment. 

Even the original iPhone was a hit and literally everyone knew it as it was being announced. It transformed a massively useful and needed segment. 

This just iterates on other similar niche devices. Nothing groundbreaking. 
    designr
  • Reply 75 of 245
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    tuckjo77 said:
    I wear glasses and have my whole life. Will the device word for me???
    It cannot be used with eyeglasses on, but Apple has partnered with Zeiss on custom prescription lenses that screw into the headset for eyeglass wearers. 
    rezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 245
    Xed said:
    Comfort wasn’t mentioned. For people to even use it for work, that’s a must. Could someone comfortably write wearing this thing typing on virtual kb or dictate? I wished they extrapolate that more. As for the AR aspect, it could be exciting if somehow precision in measuring things can be had with this device. Built in ruler in AR was novel when Tim first brought up AR. But I really would love to have a precision tool for measuring things using this. Lidar made iPhone somewhat useful for measuring. A useful zoom would be great. Built-in binoculars and any vision enhancing utilities would really be something. Maybe night vision. It’s a great start imo. Of course, trying it is a must. The interface portion of this device, if it’s a winner, points to what other innovations can be had. But I still believe comfort needs to be achieved. Otherwise, it will sit right next to my Oculus Rift 2 in its box.
    They devoted an entire segment of the demo on comfortably wearing the device on the back of the head,  the front of the face, and the overall weight of the device.
    Well, yes. I saw the same presentation. It looks like they paid attention to the quality of the strap. What about the using part? Could I use this for hours without eye strain or dizziness? Sometimes having a strap around your head long term regardless of what product it is constrains blood flow. These are fundamental for all headsets. So I am very curious whether Apple has solved this problem related to comfort for long use periods
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 245
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    9secondkox2 said:

Then I saw they’re using Unity as their 3D base. So it will only be Apple Arcade games.
    Huh?  Lots of different games use Unity, not just Apple Arcade.  Disco Elysium is a Unity game.  Not really sure if that'd be good in VR as is, but it's one hell of an immersive game.
    tmayhammeroftruthStrangeDaysrezwits9secondkox2watto_cobraAlex_Vbyronl
  • Reply 79 of 245
    Xed said:
    twolf2919 said:
    I watched the introduction and couldn't help but laugh when I saw this thing: like a mix of ski and scuba goggles - bonus: the "see through" eyes that seem slightly larger than real-life LOL.  Then I noticed the tether that every shot tried so desperately to hide - in hair, scarfs...anything.  By the time I saw the price I already knew this was DOA - the $3500 was just the flowers on the grave.

Don't get me wrong: from a technical perspective, Apple did an amazing job.  But this product is done in by its form factor - nobody wants to be even more isolated than they already are by wearing dorky goggles, tethered to some batteries in your pocket no less - and by the lack of a killer app.   You heard the word "replace" a lot during the presentation - it can "replace" a large screen TV (not mentioned, of course, is that it can only do so when you're alone)...it can replace multiple monitors so you can work with more of your apps (of course, interacting with those apps is a lot more clumsy than with a physical keyboard and mouse/touchpad)....I kept looking for the metaphor that best fits this product as presented - "jumped the shark" came to mind.  Apple just threw everything it had at the board and hoped that something will stick to make this product succeed.  But I really don't see a standout feature I'd pay $3500 for.  Heck - I don't see a standout feature I'd pay $1000 for.  Now - if this had been presented in a nice pair of stylish AR glasses without an insane tether to an external battery, I might have been convinced....wait another 3-5 years, I guess.
    No, you didn't notice that. You made that up.

All 8 photos of it being worn on their main page shows a cable very clearly.

https://www.apple.com/apple-vision-pro/
    The VIDEO dude. As it was announced. They clearly tried to minimize cable visibility. The hippie with long hair, the Asian girl wearing curtains, etc. it was glaring. Don’t pretend. 
    nubusrezwits
  • Reply 80 of 245
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Seems like it may be USA exclusive at launch, or there may be other questions about international release.
    • Available early next year on apple.com and at Apple retail stores in the U.S.
    And no mention of it on other localised Apple websites other than the .com
    watto_cobra