Apple Vision Pro $3,499 mixed-reality headset launches at WWDC after years of rumors

Comments

• Reply 101 of 245
    nubusnubus Posts: 386member
    DocUpdate said:
    It feels like Ready Player One meets swimming goggles. Have a look at what it offers with an open mind ... Unfortunately, I think it needs to be less intrusive, less costly for it to really take off. Maybe version 2 like google glass. Thoughts?
    It does indeed! I believed the renditions were a joke... they were not. Super intrusive and the "Vision Pro" name feels a lot like Kendall introducing Living+ in Succession. Seeing a father doing a "dial your level of isolation" in front of his kids... disturbing. Where does it go from here? Gaming centers and defence?
    williamlondon9secondkox2xixo
  • Reply 102 of 245
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    Bootcamp said:
    Guys… this can replace your iMac, your laptop, and your iPad. 

Have you not watched any science-fiction movies? This is what futuristic computing looks like. This is a fundamental breakthrough in computing. 

I am considering buying an Apple laptop. But I am very interested to see how this can be used for spreadsheets, written documents, business and personal website, surfing, website development (maybe?), and not to mention mind blowing entertainment.

Let me warn you: you don’t want to be that guy that disses this Apple product, only to see in a few years how it’s obviously changing the entire computing landscape.

Everyone has been waiting for a major breakthrough in computing. Well, I can tell you, it’s not gonna come from Microsoft, Google, or Dell, North, some extremely well funded start up… But it has come from the company that successfully commercialized the PC, online music purchases, the smart mobile phone in a big way, and smart watches. 

It’s only a matter of time before you’re going to eat your words. 

Haters back off. Open your mind to a possibly profound computing breakthrough. In five years, this is what most are going to be using for their primary computing device. 
    It doesn't represent a fundamental breakthrough in computing and the entire industry is moving with basically the same ideas. 

It's very nicely wrapped up IMO as a Gen 1 product but some people are 'complaining' perhaps because they were expecting more. 

For it to become a primary computing device a lot of things will have to be further improved. I'm not sure five years will be enough but I'm sure the use case will become more compelling as we go. 
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 103 of 245
    nubusnubus Posts: 386member
    9secondkox2 said: Um… EVERYONE knew the iPhone was a hit right off the bat. 
    Very few people understood the importance of "apps" when the iPhone originally launched. 
    Well.. Jobs didn't and at launch iPhone only allowed you to run Apple app as Jobs didn't want developers to use anything but Safari for apps. Jobs also changed the pricing on the original iPhone right after launch as it didn't sell.
    williamlondon9secondkox2Alex_Vaderuttermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 104 of 245
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Japhey said:
    gatorguy said:
    It does not seem like a very Apple-y product, but that's not unexpected either. It's a first gen, and according to reports was intended for developers anyway. Three years out they may have something. At the moment it seems like it was pushed out to the retail market before it's fully hatched, and I'm not sure why altho I could guess there's some other nearly-finished products from potential competitors coming before the year is out. 

No doubt some regular users here will rush to buy a Vision Pro anyway; after all, it's from Apple. By the time it's fully developed in gen 3 I would expect it to be half to a third of the current price. That's when it may capture my interest.  Or not.
    Not fully hatched? 
    It seems like they put a lot of love and energy into addressing all the shortcomings other AR headset suffer from. So I’m just curious as to what you need to see for it to be considered “fully hatched ”?

Dude, it's gatorguy, what did you expect? If he said he loved it, we'd all need to press him to get a brain MRI, stat, to find the tumor.
    Right on. I’m not familiar with him or his brand of negativity. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 105 of 245
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    gatorguy said: Without a shortish 2-hour life on a cord and battery for one. Designed to be used on the street/in public for another considering augmented reality, ie way-finding and shopping for example, as another. Without it designed like bulbous ski goggles for yet another. Priced well under $3K for one more.   
    FYI: 97 inch 4K OLED from LG = $13,000. So even if you bought the VP just for watching gigantic sized 4K OLED movies/TV you would be saving money...and space. 
    heard this sort of bs so many times before about VR/AR.

i remember someone promising me you could pop one of these things on in cattle class on a plane and it would make you feel like you were on a beach in the bahamas. BS! 

real world. it never translates to the same experience.
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 106 of 245
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    jdsocal said:
    What a bunch of negative DORKS on this site. Much like the iPhone, until you use it you can't understand its utility.

At least be intelligent or insightful if you're going to be dorks.
    Um… EVERYONE knew the iPhone was a hit right off the bat. 
    Nope. Sorry, but that is completely inaccurate. The nerds loved the iPhone, yes. But to the regular consumer they were derided for many many reasons…

•They were too expensive at first, necessitating a price drop less than 2 months after launch. 

•They were only available through AT&T. 

•They only worked on the pre-3G EDGE network. 

•Third party apps were only available after jailbreaking the device. 

•It wasn’t a Blackberry. 

There list goes on, but the point remains…they only sold a few million the first year they were available. They were far from a hit that first year, they were more like a curiosity to most. The iPhone May have been the Time magazine Invention of the Year, but it took 1-2 years before it was actually a hit. 

edited June 2023 netroxStrangeDaysBootcampanantksundaramiqatedo9secondkox2Alex_Vbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 107 of 245
    Thankfully the internet and this forum wasn't around when the original Macintosh was introduced.
    Cost $2500 then- and all the specs sucked.
    This is an amazing piece of tech- way ahead of its time and the competition.
    If you want cheap- get a Quest.
    If you want something visionary- ahead of it's time- this is the product.
    Steve Jobs would have loved it.
    StrangeDayshammeroftruthBootcampwilliamlondontmayiqatedoRudeBoyRudy9secondkox2xixoAlex_V
  • Reply 108 of 245
    nubus said: Well.. Jobs didn't and at launch iPhone only allowed you to run Apple app as Jobs didn't want developers to use anything but Safari for apps. 
    According to AppleInsider, Walter Isaacson made that claim in Jobs' biography but other people connected to the iPhone development said it was just the SDK that Jobs didn't want to release at launch. The latter explanation does make sense considering the iPhone went on sale in late June 2007 with the SDK being announced only three months later in October.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/07/10/the-revolution-steve-jobs-resisted-apples-app-store-marks-10-years-of-third-party-innovation#:~:text=According%20to%20Walter%20Isaacson%27s%20biography,work%20on%20the%20new%20platform.
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 109 of 245
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    One thing is for sure. NOT. An iPhone moment. 

Even the original iPhone was a hit and literally everyone knew it as it was being announced. It transformed a massively useful and needed segment. 

This just iterates on other similar niche devices. Nothing groundbreaking. 
    The original iPhone was criticized for being exclusive to AT&T, having a crappy camera, having no physical keyboard, having no stylus, not having a user-replaceable battery, and being so expensive that Apple soon dropped the price to try to stimulate sales and (after an uproar) had to give store credit to the early adopters who paid full price. Not everyone 'knew it was a hit' as it was being announced.
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonanantksundaram9secondkox2Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 110 of 245
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    gatorguy said:
    Japhey said:
    gatorguy said:
    It does not seem like a very Apple-y product, but that's not unexpected either. It's a first gen, and according to reports was intended for developers anyway. Three years out they may have something. At the moment it seems like it was pushed out to the retail market before it's fully hatched, and I'm not sure why altho I could guess there's some other nearly-finished products from potential competitors coming before the year is out. 

No doubt some regular users here will rush to buy a Vision Pro anyway; after all, it's from Apple. By the time it's fully developed in gen 3 I would expect it to be half to a third of the current price. That's when it may capture my interest.  Or not.
    Not fully hatched? 
    It seems like they put a lot of love and energy into addressing all the shortcomings other AR headset suffer from. So I’m just curious as to what you need to see for it to be considered “fully hatched ”?

-Without a shortish 2-hour life on a cord and battery for one. Imagine if the first iPod, iPhone, or iPad had required carrying a separate clip-on battery pack tin order o be used outside your home?
    -Designed to be used on the street/in public for another considering augmented reality, ie way-finding and shopping for example, as another.
    -Without it designed like bulbous ski goggles for yet another.
    -Priced well under $3K for one more.

Surely you expect a much trimmer generation two with a lower price and not as reliant on a relatively large battery pack which IMO would be the one intended for consumers anyway. This one is not, thus not yet fully hatched.   
    You're asking for a product that doesn't exist. Street-size glasses that do what this does don't exist. This is a product to be used in the home, not on the street.
    williamlondoniqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 111 of 245
    nubus said:
    9secondkox2 said: Um… EVERYONE knew the iPhone was a hit right off the bat. 
    Very few people understood the importance of "apps" when the iPhone originally launched. 
    Well.. Jobs didn't and at launch iPhone only allowed you to run Apple app as Jobs didn't want developers to use anything but Safari for apps. Jobs also changed the pricing on the original iPhone right after launch as it didn't sell.
    Cue has said in interviews that they had the developer app model in mind for later. They did not expect devs to only build web apps forever, they just couldn't launch it.

nubus said: Well.. Jobs didn't and at launch iPhone only allowed you to run Apple app as Jobs didn't want developers to use anything but Safari for apps. 
    According to AppleInsider, Walter Isaacson made that claim in Jobs' biography but other people connected to the iPhone development said it was just the SDK that Jobs didn't want to release at launch. The latter explanation does make sense considering the iPhone went on sale in late June 2007 with the SDK being announced only three months later in October.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/07/10/the-revolution-steve-jobs-resisted-apples-app-store-marks-10-years-of-third-party-innovation#:~:text=According%20to%20Walter%20Isaacson%27s%20biography,work%20on%20the%20new%20platform.
    Yup. The SDK wasn't ready.
    edited June 2023 williamlondoniqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 112 of 245
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    Basically meta headset with better graphics. 

But way more expensive. Ridiculous. 

Everything can be done on the iPhone and iPad and Mac. Perhaps without the myopia dangers. 

Scary to think thst THIS is what Tim thinks the next big thing is and is prioritizing at Apple. I’ve been a fan of Tims. But this… just no. 

Looks great for lonely people who want to watch movies in private though. Personally I’d rather have my girl and some friends over with a giant tv to enjoy sports and entertainment with. 
    So the Meta-device has software? The key to whether or not it will succeed aside from great hardware, is the software that runs on it, when it’s released, Apple being able to leverage the software from the Mac, iPhone, Apple Watch and the iPad, along with all of the software that will be designed specifically for the headset is where the device future is going to be made.
    9secondkox2xixoAlex_Vradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 113 of 245
    Thankfully the internet and this forum wasn't around when the original Macintosh was introduced.
    Cost $2500 then- and all the specs sucked.
    This is an amazing piece of tech- way ahead of its time and the competition.
    If you want cheap- get a Quest.
    If you want something visionary- ahead of it's time- this is the product.
    Steve Jobs would have loved it.
    Yeah people need perspective. The original Macintosh would be $7,300 today. This is half that. 
    williamlondontmayRudeBoyRudy9secondkox2xixoAlex_Vbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 114 of 245
    The price is insane.
    Just 22 Apple shares….
    iqatedoxixobaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 115 of 245
    The price is insane.
    Less than half the price of the original Macintosh when adjusted for inflation.
    williamlondonanantksundaramdewmeiqatedo9secondkox2xixoAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 116 of 245
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Let's hope it won't be like the Apple Card which I thought from the 2019 keynote would become available to other countries, but never was. Apple should have said more about the international availability of the Vision Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 117 of 245
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:

Well, it just saved me from buying more monitors, so it's pretty cheap.  3D camera capability looks fun.

Meanwhile, Google and Meta are furiously working back at the drawing board...  Another Oh shi! moment for those guys, just like with iPhone and Apple Watch.

Like everything else in the last 16 years for them, Apple just built a new world (ecosystem) for developers, and the public as only they can.
    Bootcampwilliamlondonanantksundaram9secondkox2xixoAlex_Vbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 118 of 245
    jmbarryjmbarry Posts: 8member
    Wish I could see everyone’s comments on the iPhone in 2007. 

This is unlike anything else on the market. 
    Check out these 2007 haters https://www.techtimes.com/articles/210808/20170629/heres-everyone-who-thought-the-original-iphone-was-going-to-fail.htm
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 119 of 245
    jbilgihan said:
    It's HoloLens 3.0 8 years later.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/hololens

Didn’t Bill Gates demo and talk about a tablet in the year 2000 at CES, 10 years before Apple’s iPad, how did that go for Microsoft? Being first with some thing that absolutely does not work, that is nothing to celebrate about. Apple’s headset will have an entire software ecosystem ready on day one with great hardware that actually works, Microsoft Google and Meta not so much.

PS, the Armed Forces probably should give Apple a call, if they want something to actually work.

Of course now that Apple is about to show the world how it should be done, Google will resurrect their failed project.

https://news.microsoft.com/2000/11/13/tablet-pc-brings-the-simplicity-of-pen-and-paper-to-computing/

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/the-google-glass-epic-fail-what-happened
    edited June 2023 williamlondonxixoradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 120 of 245
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Very interesting technology indeed.  Fovea based rendering and Spacial Frameworks sound like StarTrek Holodeck technology.
    Considering that the Apple 32" monitor has a $5700 price tag, the $3499 for VisionPro does not look so bad.
    This visionOS with AI capabilities may also be applicable for Cars, AirPlaines and Space shuttles amongst other things.

Looking forward to more info.

williamlondon9secondkox2Alex_Vbaconstangradarthekatwatto_cobra