Apple Vision Pro $3,499 mixed-reality headset launches at WWDC after years of rumors

Comments

• Reply 81 of 245
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Xed said:
    twolf2919 said:
    I watched the introduction and couldn't help but laugh when I saw this thing: like a mix of ski and scuba goggles - bonus: the "see through" eyes that seem slightly larger than real-life LOL.  Then I noticed the tether that every shot tried so desperately to hide - in hair, scarfs...anything.  By the time I saw the price I already knew this was DOA - the $3500 was just the flowers on the grave.

Don't get me wrong: from a technical perspective, Apple did an amazing job.  But this product is done in by its form factor - nobody wants to be even more isolated than they already are by wearing dorky goggles, tethered to some batteries in your pocket no less - and by the lack of a killer app.   You heard the word "replace" a lot during the presentation - it can "replace" a large screen TV (not mentioned, of course, is that it can only do so when you're alone)...it can replace multiple monitors so you can work with more of your apps (of course, interacting with those apps is a lot more clumsy than with a physical keyboard and mouse/touchpad)....I kept looking for the metaphor that best fits this product as presented - "jumped the shark" came to mind.  Apple just threw everything it had at the board and hoped that something will stick to make this product succeed.  But I really don't see a standout feature I'd pay $3500 for.  Heck - I don't see a standout feature I'd pay $1000 for.  Now - if this had been presented in a nice pair of stylish AR glasses without an insane tether to an external battery, I might have been convinced....wait another 3-5 years, I guess.
    No, you didn't notice that. You made that up.

All 8 photos of it being worn on their main page shows a cable very clearly.

https://www.apple.com/apple-vision-pro/
    The VIDEO dude. As it was announced. They clearly tried to minimize cable visibility. The hippie with long hair, the Asian girl wearing curtains, etc. it was glaring. Don’t pretend. 
    It wasn't all that glaring; there were at least a couple of shots where the cable was very obvious.  I know, because I noticed it, and I wasn't looking for it.  And then they outright mentioned having it plugged in and the power pack.  If they were going for minimising cable visibility then they failed outright, by featuring it as a part of the presentation.
    kiltedgreenhcrefugeehammeroftruthwilliamlondon9secondkox2Alex_Vbaconstangwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 82 of 245
    nubusnubus Posts: 387member
    Xed said:
    nubus said:

In-flight entertainment but only for flights <2 hours?
    Why is that? Every flight I've taken for the last decade has had power outlets for power. Maybe try to fly Frontier next time.
    Well... I mainly fly Star Alliance in Europe. I don't see AC outlets outside long haul and then only on Business and Premium Economy. This might change, but it will take time.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 83 of 245
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    jdsocal said:
    What a bunch of negative DORKS on this site. Much like the iPhone, until you use it you can't understand its utility.

At least be intelligent or insightful if you're going to be dorks.
    Um… EVERYONE knew the iPhone was a hit right off the bat. 

This is nothing like that. 
    The real dorks are the ones defending anything apple and pretending to not notice how underwhelming something is. It’s a great headset dude. But it’s just a headset. Not really a world bearing market - unlike cell phones at the time of the original iPhone. And it doesn’t seem to have a reason to exist. At least with the other guys. They have a gaming focus. This has… your kids interacting with your pretend eyes while you “work” on… Microsoft office? Or tune them out watching Disney Plus? Or… looking at a 3D image from a book as if you couldn’t do that already on a variety of devices. 

The iPhone made everything better about phones. This headset just tries to do what your phone, iPad, or Mac does, only with a side of potential myopia. 
    nubusblurpbleepbloopdesignranantksundarammuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 84 of 245
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Japhey said:
    gatorguy said:
    It does not seem like a very Apple-y product, but that's not unexpected either. It's a first gen, and according to reports was intended for developers anyway. Three years out they may have something. At the moment it seems like it was pushed out to the retail market before it's fully hatched, and I'm not sure why altho I could guess there's some other nearly-finished products from potential competitors coming before the year is out. 

No doubt some regular users here will rush to buy a Vision Pro anyway; after all, it's from Apple. By the time it's fully developed in gen 3 I would expect it to be half to a third of the current price. That's when it may capture my interest.  Or not.
    Not fully hatched? 
    It seems like they put a lot of love and energy into addressing all the shortcomings other AR headset suffer from. So I’m just curious as to what you need to see for it to be considered “fully hatched ”?

Dude, it's gatorguy, what did you expect? If he said he loved it, we'd all need to press him to get a brain MRI, stat, to find the tumor.
    RudeBoyRudywilliamlondonanantksundaram9secondkox2Alex_Vbaconstangwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 85 of 245
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    I don't think people really get it - Apple's Vision Pro has 5000 patents and that includes UX and that effectively prevents competitors from copying the whole implementation of operating system and the hardware configurations. Just watch competitors try to get away with copying Apple's Vision Pro. 

There is literally no "true" operating system that is tightly integrated like Apple Vision Pro. We've seen competition AR glasses and they sucked. Their UX is terrible and awkward. The UI in Apple Vision Pro is extremely intuitive and natural. 

williamlondonanantksundaramDoctorQ9secondkox2Alex_Vradarthekatwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 86 of 245
    9secondkox2 said: Um… EVERYONE knew the iPhone was a hit right off the bat. 
    Very few people understood the importance of "apps" when the iPhone originally launched. 
    anantksundaramhcrefugeehammeroftruthwilliamlondon9secondkox2Alex_Vbaconstangwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 87 of 245
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    netrox said:
    The UI in Apple Vision Pro is extremely intuitive and natural. 

xixoAlex_Vradarthekat
  • Reply 88 of 245
    kiltedgreenkiltedgreen Posts: 599member
    For those going on about the price of this headset - my partner and I bough a Macintosh 128K in late 1984. 9” B&W screen, no hard disk, 400K floppy disk, price about £2500 at the time.

In today’s money that is equivalent to about £10,000.

Neither of us had loads of money (I was only 1 year into my first job! And my partner was a student) but we could see that it was the future and that there was nothing else like it. You pays your £3,500 …
    edited June 2023 foregoneconclusionhcrefugeewilliamlondoniqatedoRudeBoyRudyAlex_Vbaconstangradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 245
    Looks horrible. Total bill gates need level. Non even resembles apple design. Wastes battery with the outside screen. 

And you wear the thing from your head to your waist? Serious? 

Looks like it was meant to be glasses but apple wanted to rush it out before the glasses could be feasible. 

Looks like a solution looking for a problem. 

Actually could be a problem. Amazing that this product is announced right after Sumbul Dasani addresses the problems of having a screen too close to your eyes - and this thing puts the screen less than an inch away. 

Not compelling. But a fun toy. 

At least they got a Jony Ive soundalike to talk about the “design.” LOL

Iger talking up these amazing new experiences that are just vague ideas, but ending with the reality: “oh. Um. Disney plus.” Pretty sad. So far, not really different use cases than other devices.
    You are a funny cookie :-) ... "glasses" (as many imagine)  will never be possible. Simple physic / optic laws and the way the eye work, makes it impossible. 
    Still I enjoy watching the debate. It will just die down in a few years, when everyone realise and accept that AR glasses is not feasible. 
    You can challenge what I say, I wont object and I will respect your opinion ... but I will also keep eating my popcorn and watching :-) :-) 
    williamlondontmayiqatedoRudeBoyRudy9secondkox2radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 90 of 245

The VIDEO dude. As it was announced. They clearly tried to minimize cable visibility. The hippie with long hair, the Asian girl wearing curtains, etc. it was glaring. Don’t pretend. 
    I noticed the cable right away but why does that matter? 

https://www.apple.com/imac-24/

No power plug shown. 

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-homepod/homepod-mini

No power plug shown. 

https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/

No power plug shown. 

foregoneconclusionhcrefugeewilliamlondonbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 91 of 245
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    So at 3,499 USD this will be a runaway success... not. I guess the prices will drop but that is a big chunka cash.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 92 of 245
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    Japhey said:
    gatorguy said:
    It does not seem like a very Apple-y product, but that's not unexpected either. It's a first gen, and according to reports was intended for developers anyway. Three years out they may have something. At the moment it seems like it was pushed out to the retail market before it's fully hatched, and I'm not sure why altho I could guess there's some other nearly-finished products from potential competitors coming before the year is out. 

No doubt some regular users here will rush to buy a Vision Pro anyway; after all, it's from Apple. By the time it's fully developed in gen 3 I would expect it to be half to a third of the current price. That's when it may capture my interest.  Or not.
    Not fully hatched? 
    It seems like they put a lot of love and energy into addressing all the shortcomings other AR headset suffer from. So I’m just curious as to what you need to see for it to be considered “fully hatched ”?

-Without a shortish 2-hour life on a cord and battery for one. Imagine if the first iPod, iPhone, or iPad had required carrying a separate clip-on battery pack tin order o be used outside your home?
    -Designed to be used on the street/in public for another considering augmented reality, ie way-finding and shopping for example, as another.
    -Without it designed like bulbous ski goggles for yet another.
    -Priced well under $3K for one more.

Surely you expect a much trimmer generation two with a lower price and not as reliant on a relatively large battery pack which IMO would be the one intended for consumers anyway. This one is not, thus not yet fully hatched.   
    edited June 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 93 of 245
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Even the original iPhone was a hit and literally everyone knew it as it was being announced. 
    Could someone please repost the classic -- and priceless -- AI thread from 2007 of the iPhone intro presentation for this person?

:D
    kiltedgreenStrangeDayshammeroftruthiqatedoRudeBoyRudy9secondkox2radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 94 of 245
    BootcampBootcamp Posts: 1member
    Guys… this can replace your iMac, your laptop, and your iPad. 

Have you not watched any science-fiction movies? This is what futuristic computing looks like. This is a fundamental breakthrough in computing. 

I am considering buying an Apple laptop. But I am very interested to see how this can be used for spreadsheets, written documents, business and personal website, surfing, website development (maybe?), and not to mention mind blowing entertainment.

Let me warn you: you don’t want to be that guy that disses this Apple product, only to see in a few years how it’s obviously changing the entire computing landscape.

Everyone has been waiting for a major breakthrough in computing. Well, I can tell you, it’s not gonna come from Microsoft, Google, or Dell, North, some extremely well funded start up… But it has come from the company that successfully commercialized the PC, online music purchases, the smart mobile phone in a big way, and smart watches. 

It’s only a matter of time before you’re going to eat your words. 

Haters back off. Open your mind to a possibly profound computing breakthrough. In five years, this is what most are going to be using for their primary computing device. 
    anantksundaramwilliamlondonRudeBoyRudy9secondkox2Alex_Vwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 95 of 245
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    charlesn said:
    tuckjo77 said:
    I wear glasses and have my whole life. Will the device word for me???
    It cannot be used with eyeglasses on, but Apple has partnered with Zeiss on custom prescription lenses that screw into the headset for eyeglass wearers. 
    I think they attach magnetically.
    iqatedowatto_cobratht
  • Reply 96 of 245
    gatorguy said:

Without a shortish 2-hour life on a cord and battery for one. Designed to be used on the street/in public for another considering augmented reality, ie way-finding for example as another. Without it designed like bulbous ski goggles for yet another. Priced under $3K for one more.

Surely you expect a much trimmer generation two which IMO would be the one intended for consumers anyway. This one is not, thus not yet fully hatched.   
    And it will eventually happen. This is Apple Vision PRO which clearly suggests it's designed for pros and programmers to work on and Apple will deliver cheaper long lasting Vision products. 

But the Apple strategy is very good - Apple gets the patents done and brings the revolutionary UX for "spatial computing" and that's where we're heading. Others have brought terrible UX, inferior quality designs, and awkward designs. Apple gets all the UX done correctly and THINKS about privacy and security, sorely lacking in other competitors from ground up. Thanks to Apple's patents, it's unlikely the competitors will be able to compete for a long time. 

hcrefugeewilliamlondontmayAlex_Vradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 97 of 245
    kiltedgreenkiltedgreen Posts: 599member

Even the original iPhone was a hit and literally everyone knew it as it was being announced. 
    Could someone please repost the classic -- and priceless -- AI thread from 2007 of the iPhone intro presentation for this person?

:D
    And one for the original iPod while they’re doing that  ;)
    edited June 2023 williamlondonanantksundaramRudeBoyRudywatto_cobratht
  • Reply 98 of 245
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,328member
    I was expecting something smaller.
    nubuswilliamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 99 of 245
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    chutzpah said:
    netrox said:
    The UI in Apple Vision Pro is extremely intuitive and natural. 

Also, the Amazon Prime series The Peripheral was the first thing that came to mind when I saw some gestures. 
    tht
  • Reply 100 of 245
    gatorguy said: Without a shortish 2-hour life on a cord and battery for one. Designed to be used on the street/in public for another considering augmented reality, ie way-finding and shopping for example, as another. Without it designed like bulbous ski goggles for yet another. Priced well under $3K for one more.   
    FYI: 97 inch 4K OLED from LG = $13,000. So even if you bought the VP just for watching gigantic sized 4K OLED movies/TV you would be saving money...and space. 
    edited June 2023 netroxStrangeDayswilliamlondondewmeRudeBoyRudy9secondkox2xixoAlex_Vbaconstangwatto_cobra