When will we see a 15" Albook?

Comments

• Reply 141 of 328
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Or they still have enough in on-hand stock to allow short ship times. That shipping timeframe really doesn't confirm or deny anything.

No, I mean you can order (for example) an 867MHz Ti and add a SuperDrive and a bigger hard drive and get it shipped in 1-3 days. Custom configurations like that are not done in the warehouse.
  • Reply 142 of 328
    Guys, this is crazy. Get a grip of yourselves. Specultion on the imminent arrival of a new 15" has been rife since February! Its now comming up to June and there is still no sign whatsoever its gonna happen any time soon. Isnt it time you guys accepted what Apple has said pubicly, i.e. "it has no plans to update the 15" SD in the near future, and are very happy with the Titanium"
  • Reply 143 of 328
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by musicaltone

"it has no plans to update the 15" SD in the near future, and are very happy with the Titanium"

When, exactly, did they say that???
  • Reply 144 of 328
    Quote:

Guys, this is crazy. Get a grip of yourselves.

Hey, the only reason I care is that I WANT A NEW POWERBOOK and the wait is killing me!!!
  • Reply 145 of 328
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

Hey, the only reason I care is that I WANT A NEW POWERBOOK and the wait is killing me!!!

me too, only i want it with a ppc970 processor, probally clive is right after all and i have to wait a little longer and ending up paying him 10 euro
  • Reply 146 of 328
    musicaltonemusicaltone Posts: 189member
    Netro, Apple are on record as having said this to Macworld a few months ago. Lets face it AE + FW800 + Alumium case are not big enough reasons in themselves to bring out a new 15 laptop. I think Apple will only bring out a new 15 line (and the Al 15 would be a complete new line, not an upgrade to the Ti), when there is a new chip. And in a laptop that means next year.
  • Reply 147 of 328
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    the 17" is only 30% faster than the 15" no reason at all to update them... yea whatever! The 15" is missing a whole lot of features that the 17" has.

167mhz bus

DDR RAM

Firewire 800

airport extreme

AL case design

lightup keyboard

And where the hell did Apple say that the 15" was not going to be updated in a while? I have not heard about this until now if they did... I sure hope they didn't...
  • Reply 148 of 328
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

And where the hell did Apple say that the 15" was not going to be updated in a while? I have not heard about this until now if they did... I sure hope they didn't...

Actually I think I recall that as well, but I can't remember the details. It might have been in a financial conference call or it may have been an interview with someone like Greg Joswiak. In any event, I don't think it was very long after MWSF, so it probably doesn't mean much at this point.
  • Reply 149 of 328
    Does anyone know WTF Apple is smoking? Where is the updated 15"?????????? I'm about to start shooting!!!! lol
  • Reply 150 of 328
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Well, seeing as we're less than a month away from WWDC now, I really don't think we'll see another 15" model released until the 970 can go into it. The G4's not going anywhere fast; and as improbable as it has become to think of a 970 in the PowerBook anytime soon, it just seems this is case.

It's either a 970 or a G4 appears in a new 15" Al case come WWDC.
  • Reply 151 of 328
    I wish this were the case, but I highly doubt it.
  • Reply 152 of 328
    Quote:

Netro, Apple are on record as having said this to Macworld a few months ago. Lets face it AE + FW800 + Alumium case are not big enough reasons in themselves to bring out a new 15 laptop. I think Apple will only bring out a new 15 line (and the Al 15 would be a complete new line, not an upgrade to the Ti), when there is a new chip. And in a laptop that means next year.

Ok, they may have said that as it sounds perfectly reasonable.

The only way Apple is going to release a new 15" is if there someting more to it than a simple titanium to alu transition. So, we may see the new alu 15" when the 17" is speed-bumped later this summer, or they may keep the titanium until they have the 970 ready for it. I don't see the 970 happening in the powerbook right now as Apple are probably working pretty hard just to get them into the powermacs. Later in the year is possible, but I honestly don't think we'll see the 970 in powerbooks before MWSF. So, who knows what's going to happen with the powerbooks before then. There's so many different factors in play here. Like they can't release a 970 15" alu before they update the 17" to use the 970. The 15" aluminium powerbook is going to be the best seller of the bunch, and Apple want to make sure that everybody notices that the now 'book has entered the market. I don't think there's any better way to do this, than to introduce it and the 970 in powerbooks at the same time, and update the 17" at the same time. The 12" will still be G4 for a while I think.

Does this make any sense???

So all things considered, we'll continue to have the 15" titanium until the 970 can hit the 'books, and that will probably be a bit later than the WWDC. If they could do it before the christmas season that would be cool, but I still think MWSF is the most probable release date for the 970 powerbooks. That means we'll have the titanium until then with possibly one more speed bump this autumn.
  • Reply 153 of 328
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I disagree on two points.

First, upgrading the Ti book to an Al book with the same CPU speed would be very worthwhile. Look at the differences:

Ti-book - Al-book

Airport - Airport Extreme

std antenna - improved Airport antenna

FW400 - FW800

current LCD - improved LCD, possibly brighter with more pixels

optional bluetooth - builtin bluetooth

133MHz bus - 167MHz bus

Radeon 9000 - Radeon 9600 (possible)

std keyboard - backlit keyboard

painted Ti - Al (more scratch resistant, stiffer)

True, there is no increase of processor speed but the memory bus and GPU change can improve performance. Put these two computers side by side and which one would you take?

Second, I don't see why they can't upgrade the 15 inch PB to a 970 without simultaneosly upgrading the 17 inch PB. Certainly, the 17 inch PB should be upgraded within three to four months afterward. If the 15 inch got the 970 first it would have all the attention to itself. It would be a clear message to the consumer. Then when the 17 inch came out with the 970 that would be a fresh bump in media attention. At least that is one way to spin it.
  • Reply 154 of 328
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

I disagree on two points.

First, upgrading the Ti book to an Al book with the same CPU speed would be very worthwhile. Look at the differences:

Ti-book - Al-book

Airport - Airport Extreme

std antenna - improved Airport antenna

FW400 - FW800

current LCD - improved LCD, possibly brighter with more pixels

optional bluetooth - builtin bluetooth

133MHz bus - 167MHz bus

Radeon 9000 - Radeon 9600 (possible)

std keyboard - backlit keyboard

painted Ti - Al (more scratch resistant, stiffer)

True, there is no increase of processor speed but the memory bus and GPU change can improve performance. Put these two computers side by side and which one would you take?

right, but we're waiting for this machine since february'03 to be released. it's almost june'03 by now and we're still waiting. it will be outdated if they release this 15"pb with the already 7 months old 1Ghz G4 processor. not a very tempting option, so...

Quote:

Second, I don't see why they can't upgrade the 15 inch PB to a 970 without simultaneosly upgrading the 17 inch PB. Certainly, the 17 inch PB should be upgraded within three to four months afterward. If the 15 inch got the 970 first it would have all the attention to itself. It would be a clear message to the consumer. Then when the 17 inch came out with the 970 that would be a fresh bump in media attention. At least that is one way to spin it.

i agree with that totally, release that beast asap and i buy it (i buy it anyway)

suprice us, please
  • Reply 155 of 328
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

Second, I don't see why they can't upgrade the 15 inch PB to a 970 without simultaneosly upgrading the 17 inch PB. Certainly, the 17 inch PB should be upgraded within three to four months afterward. If the 15 inch got the 970 first it would have all the attention to itself. It would be a clear message to the consumer.

Ok, but that would KILL the 17" sales in the gap between the 15" 970 being released and the 17" being updated. Sure, I would very much like the 15" alu to be released now, but I don't think it will happen before they also can update the 17". Hope I'm wrong though
  • Reply 156 of 328
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    There is no way Apple will put a faster CPU in the 15" Powerbook than in the 17" Powerbook. No way in hell. The 17" is the high end, top-of-the-line laptop, therefore it gets the fastest CPU and the most advanced mobo. There is nothing odd about the current 15" Powerbook having a slower mobo than the 17".

IF Apple were to update the 15", it would be a case and mobo upgrade, but the same CPU, much like the Pismo to Titanium transition. This would be nice, but since the current 15" Powerbook is already very nice, and since it fits into the lineup well, there is little point in updating everything but the CPU. Apple doesn't have money to burn on retooling assembly lines so often.

My bet is that Apple waits until they have faster laptop CPUs and then updates the 12", 15" and 17" simultaneously.
  • Reply 157 of 328
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

IF Apple were to update the 15", it would be a case and mobo upgrade, but the same CPU, much like the Pismo to Titanium transition

...G3 to G4?
  • Reply 158 of 328
    applemasterapplemaster Posts: 144member
    I have the money and I am just waiting for the new 15"! Come on already!

Quote:

The PowerPage has received an interesting new update on the status of the long awaited Aluminum PowerBook 15-inch. The original TiBook has already migrated to its new Aluminum skin and is just waiting for the existing Titanium models to sell out. Word from a reliable source is that Apple has the new Aluminum PowerBook 15s already boxed and ready to go but is waiting for the existing models to disappear first.

LOL! That won't happen if buyers read AI. We may never see the new ones...
  • Reply 159 of 328
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

...G3 to G4?

I should have specified: Same MHz. 500 MHz G3 --> 500 MHz G4. Many saw this as a fairly small change, and unless one used altivec-intensive apps, which were more rare at the time, the new Titanium wasn't any faster than the Pismo.

It would be the same now if Apple updated the Ti without changing the CPU. Performance would get a modest increase from the new mobo, but nothing worth upgrading to from an existing Ti.
  • Reply 160 of 328
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Interesting quote in your sig. I didn't know Hitler wrote with comma splices - or that somebody translated him with such poor grammar.