AI gets in on the action

Comments

• Reply 21 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

[edit]I don't get this part:

My understanding is that the OS will have to be revised to some extent to run on this machine. So what does it mean to have a new OS "optimized" to run 64-bit? Are we going to have 64-bit window resizing or something? What in the OS itself has to be 64-bit, or will see any benefit from 64-bitness? [/B]

I'm sure someone has posted something like this somewhere, but I could see things like Quartz Extreme, and such being optimized for 64bit (ie. the fetching of 64 bits of window memory to do something with).

I haven't done much optimization in the programs I've worked on, but I could totally buy this..
  • Reply 22 of 375
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Do you believe me now?

Don't get too excited...

Don't want to say told you so, but...
  • Reply 23 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

I am an engineerless-foo newbie, but won't there be a chance that the operating system will take advantage of 64 bit for 32bit programs?

No.
  • Reply 24 of 375
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Well they lost my sale, not buying a single processor machine I don't care if it's 3 GHz.
  • Reply 25 of 375
    wfzellewfzelle Posts: 137member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

I am an engineerless-foo newbie, but won't there be a chance that the operating system will take advantage of 64 bit for 32bit programs?

A 64-bit OS can give every 32-bit program 4GB of real memory to work with. This is an advantage if you use multiple programs that use a lot of memory (they don't need to share 4GB). Of course, you can only take advantage of this by buying more than 4GB of ram.
  • Reply 26 of 375
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    so buy a dual.

its not like 97% of the pc world uses a single processor...

\
  • Reply 27 of 375
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    About effin time!

This part...

"Initial offerings of the Power Mac G5 are said to boast 1.4 to 1.8GHz, single core PPC 970 processors, with the possibility of a dual 1.8GHz chips shortly thereafter."

..sounds to me like no dual PPC 970 powermacs until later on. Hope I'm wrong. And, I wish Apple would let you choose single or dual on any powermac model.

Either way, this still is great news.
  • Reply 28 of 375
    ddr 400 ram prices are not too shabby. good.
  • Reply 29 of 375
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    What if the whole new line of Power Macs is offered as single proc systems with customizable store configs for dual procs? Would that be okay?

So they offer a 1.4 GHz 970 and you want a dual 1.4 GHz 970 [add $300] or whatever...what if Apple did that?

If Apple is going to introduce the 970 in the Power Macs, what about the PowerBooks? The front page article discussed here alludes to other product introductions...

Quote:

The computer maker, which will not be attending the Macworld "Creative Pro" conference in July, will use its annual developers conference to showcase this summer's product offerings, sources tell AppleInsider.

I sure hope -- NO I PRAY -- all of this comes to fruition in a couple of weeks. Can you imagine the disappointment and rumbling if they just show Panther -- AND NOTHING ELSE??? God, let the new Power Mac 970s be true!!!
  • Reply 30 of 375
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

If you noticed that last two updates of the powermac have had prices drops relative to the previous model

Yes, but the low end also had specification drops. So what's the use of that?
  • Reply 31 of 375
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Well I have waited a couple of years (and I'm sure a few others around here have also), a couple of months won't kill me.

• Reply 32 of 375
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I think we need to use this little word again.

CONFIRMED!

• Reply 33 of 375
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    1.8GHz tops? Meh. A 3.2GHz P4 with Hyperthreading on an 800MHz FSB will be faster for most things.
  • Reply 34 of 375
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Since this is getting more exciting by the day...I've begun to wonder how Apple will market this G5...I've started a thread in General Discussion to mull over how you think it will be advertised to the public.
  • Reply 35 of 375
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Umm... "The computer maker, which will not be attending the Macworld "Creative Pro" conference in July, will use its annual developers conference to showcase this summer's product offerings, sources tell AppleInsider."

Excuse me, but is Apple not doing a feature presentation on July 16 at 9:30 a.m.? It won't be a Stevenote, more likely a Philnote, but it's not true that Apple isn't attending or exhibiting at the show. I question the credibility of a report that starts out with such an easily-verified error.
  • Reply 36 of 375
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

What if the whole new line of Power Macs is offered as single proc systems with customizable store configs for dual procs? Would that be okay?

Am I wrong to think that the mother boards for duals are going to be reasonably different from singles so that you can't just plunk a second processor in? If not, I don't think it makes sense for them to put the stuff required for duals on single mother boards.

I think the issue of duals vs singles is going to come down to chip supply. If the chips are the limiting factor in how many machines they can produce they will not produce any duals. Hopefully chips are not the limiting factor.
  • Reply 37 of 375
    Quote:

1.8GHz tops? Meh. A 3.2GHz P4 with Hyperthreading on an 800MHz FSB will be faster for most things.

and how much will a dual 3.2 p4 with hyperthreading cost? i guess that would be the xeon? because when the dual 970s ship, this will be the benchmark to compare.

for once, it is _possible_ apple _may_ go pound for pound, dollar for dollar with the intel world when it comes to horsepower.

oh, and at the very least, damn close and when you throw in OSX, ilife, unix, better looking machines, firewire 800, hypertransport and possible gpu things are looking much better then you make it out to be IMO.
  • Reply 38 of 375
    twinturbotwinturbo Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

and how much will a dual 3.2 p4 with hyperthreading cost? i guess that would be the xeon? because when the dual 970s ship, this will be the benchmark to compare.

According to those benchmarks on MacBidoulle, wasn't the 1.4 Ghz 970 on par with the 3.0Ghz Pentium. If so, and along with Altivec, I'm sure the 1.8 will spank the fastest P4's. I mean wouldn't that be so embarrasing if SJ gets up on the stage and can't do a bakeoff between the fastest intel chip out and his machine? Like when the G4 was announced. I'm sure he'd love to do that, and they'll make sure that whatever comes out will accomplish that goal. So if a single 1.8 is the fastest machine coming out right now, then I'm sure they see that as that much faster than a P4 that it'll turn the same amount of heads, and it cushions them for the future when they can release dual proc's and really get heads turning-or manange to keep ahead, whatever the circumstances might be.

TT
  • Reply 39 of 375
    =

I mean it's fast. Looks good.
  • Reply 40 of 375
    johnsonwaxjohnsonwax Posts: 462member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wfzelle

Apple will have to release a minor update to 10.2 to support the new machines. It needs new drivers and such. However, 10.2 will run in 32-bit mode. That means that it won't support more than 4GB of ram and won't support 64-bit apps. That won't be a problem for most users, 10.3 won't be any faster because it can run in 64-bit mode (although it probably will be faster because it is optimized better in other ways) and most people don't need 64-bit software or a lot of ram.

I'd be surprised if any 970 boxes ran 10.2. Apple is FAR better off if they can ship the faster boxes with the faster OS just to reinforce the improvements. I suspect that 10.3 will be more of a 'maturing' effort than a 'do new stuff' effort. If Apple wants new markets, much faster hardware with a faster, more refined OS will do wonders.

If Apple ships with 10.2, every single 970 review will be based on 10.2. Better to wait, if they can afford to...