Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 481 of 1176
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    The new zip icon:

http://www.bgmccollum.com/panther/zip.jpg

and new Systems Prefs icon:

http://www.mtswitch.net/forums/uploa...1061587099.jpg

Edit: Removed inline images to improve load speed.
  • Reply 482 of 1176
    Apart from the new "tabs" and the less stripe-y look, the new UI looks better.
  • Reply 483 of 1176
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *laugh* My wife and I both had the same reaction to the .zip icon...

"Okay, so it is a cleavage, or a crotch zipper? Them's the only times you get that kind of zipper just stopping..."

It really *is* the sexiest OS!
  • Reply 484 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

*laugh* My wife and I both had the same reaction to the .zip icon...

"Okay, so it is a cleavage, or a crotch zipper? Them's the only times you get that kind of zipper just stopping..."

It really *is* the sexiest OS!

• Reply 485 of 1176
    As I said once before: One orgasm of an operating system.
  • Reply 486 of 1176
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Except for this unexplainable kernel panic I just had. Not very sexy,,,

Other than that, the attention to detail and esthetics, is simply astounding! tEh most sexyehehh(!) OS since forever...

OpenGL is faster too, some percentages faster in Quake 3 at least, without doing any extensive tests. 333.4 FPS in timedemo four.dm_68 on this dual 1GHz.
  • Reply 487 of 1176
    panicxpanicx Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

the attention to detail and esthetics, is simply astounding!

true enough. They have however still not fixed those ugly

jagged looking sunken x-+ buttons
  • Reply 488 of 1176
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Technically, the zipper thing is in the wrong position. A closed zipper should mean it's at the top, not the bottom. Personally, I think a cleavage icon would be excellent. Just show a *litte* bit, and it will truly be the sexiest.

As it is, Panther is by far the coolest.
  • Reply 489 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

The whole point of beta testing these builds is to give Apple feedback on the current build.

Yes, and I've done so. But typically Apple comes back and tells me to try the latest build if my issue was fixed. Nothing yet, so...
  • Reply 490 of 1176
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    Shouldn't the zipper itself be at the top?
  • Reply 491 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by panicX

true enough. They have however still not fixed those ugly

jagged looking sunken x-+ buttons

I don't see any 'jagged looking sunken x-+ buttons.

Got a screenshot of that? They're sunken, yes, and it's IMO a more beautiful appearance for the traffic-lights
  • Reply 492 of 1176
    Been observing and testing the implementation of remote-server browsing, and FTP-integration with Safari. And I can conclude that the improvements are sky-high! With Safari 1.0/Jaguar, I could never mount and use the Apple FTP for downloading software (other servers were flaky as %$&/(&$% too). The FTP-mount just disappeared, while in Panther, everything worked beautifully. Safari now displays a "Connecting to..."-dialogue when opening connections to FTP-servers. The Finder is not bogged down when one have a FTP mounted at all. Nice, Apple!

But one still can't upload to FTP-servers Bad, Apple!
  • Reply 493 of 1176
    zapchud, just take a look at http://homepage.mac.com/max_08/themes/smoothstripes.htm and http://homepage.mac.com/max_08/themes/brushed.htm to see what they could look like sunken
  • Reply 494 of 1176
    ?

I don't see the difference. They look pretty much exactly as in Panther '44, as far as I can tell.
  • Reply 495 of 1176
    Well, I don't know 'bout you but I clearly see a difference

the one from Max are much more in the glossy Jaguar Aqua style

as one can see in the Aqua blue default button for instance, more refined.

anyway... enough deviation, sorry folks

Has anyone noticed the other new icon in 7B44 yet?

3 guesses is all you get.
  • Reply 497 of 1176
    I am pleased to say that many, many bugs are fixed from previous builds. The finder is rock solid. Many visual bugs are fixed. It is as speedy if not speedier than the previous builds. I am talking about b44 here.

Oh, one MAJOR bug that I am very please to say is fixed is the jittery video playback in quicktime. It is silky smooth again!
  • Reply 498 of 1176
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    Someone mentionned the Finder file refresh issues were fixed, does that mean files created in the Terminal appear immediately in the finder?
  • Reply 499 of 1176
    You still have to click on the window (in my case, the desktop) to make it refresh, but then it happens pretty much instantly! Great!
  • Reply 500 of 1176
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jmitch

I am pleased to say that many, many bugs are fixed from previous builds. The finder is rock solid. Many visual bugs are fixed. It is as speedy if not speedier than the previous builds. I am talking about b44 here.

Oh, one MAJOR bug that I am very please to say is fixed is the jittery video playback in quicktime. It is silky smooth again!

I wouldn't say rock solid. I've ran into a problem that changed all my folder icons into little Docklet icons...in fact, a lot of icons were randomly switched to the weird 'executable' icon.

I had to reinstall.