Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 421 of 1176
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Sure does.
  • Reply 422 of 1176
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Off-topic: another NeXT resource is McCarthy's Intro to NeXTstep
  • Reply 423 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Off-topic: another NeXT resource is McCarthy's Intro to NeXTstep

Holy crap! Notice on the screenshots of those pages that a lot of the whiz bang stuff Apple has implemented lately (like Font Book, new open and save panel) are directly from NeXTStep/OpenStep. They just have a treasure trove of good stuff waiting to be ported over.

Maybe we'll get "Pencil Me In," NeXT's groupware solution as the next cool app to come for the mac.
  • Reply 424 of 1176
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Scary to think that many of these 'whiz-bang' features were available in 1993!
  • Reply 425 of 1176
    panicxpanicx Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Not sure what NeXT heritage has to be with the ability to sort in column view (er, or this thread's topic)

Hobbes, I commented on jwill

( I think column view was solely meant as a simple list view that showed the path of the folder or file)

just to point out that it wasnt just 'ment as' but that it was the

preferred viewstyle of NeXT, mac OS X predecesssor

and it seemed jwill wasn't aware of the NeXT connection...

so pretty on topic in an off topic sort of way
  • Reply 426 of 1176
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

Scary to think that many of these 'whiz-bang' features were available in 1993!

This is why some of us were laughing bitterly back when everyone was talking about "internet time" and the "frantic pace of innovation" in the late '90s.

When Steve came to Apple, he said that Apple was sitting on enough technology to last them 5 years. Apparently, it was enough technology to last them longer than that, because they're still rolling in stuff from NeXT and Newton and the various scraps of ideas from previous attempts at next-gen OS' (I hear that there's a bit of NuKernel in OS X...).

Now, if they bring back Dylan...
  • Reply 427 of 1176
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    So why is it that the new calculator is bigger than the old one, but with fewer features? I assume that advanced mode and paper tape are available from the menu options, but frankly I liked the buttons on the old one just fine. Why did they need to crappify the new one? I don't see that metal buttons are a particularly important new feature.

Socrates
  • Reply 428 of 1176
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    the calculator didn't lose any features. the bigger buttons are soo nice if you get a chance to play with the calculator I think you will be suprised what a difference it makes. Especially with the visual feedback of hitting the keys.
  • Reply 429 of 1176
    sebazsebaz Posts: 12member
    that lady is very purdy

Does that panther beta haver a newer version of samba inside, or is it the same one from jaguar?
  • Reply 430 of 1176
    Samba 3.0
  • Reply 431 of 1176
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Anyone else notice that Panther is missing the settings to set your default email client and web browser? I just noticed it with this latest build but for all I know it coulda been like this since the first seeded build. (just happen to notice it today)...

D
  • Reply 432 of 1176
    Been that way since WWDC, Dave.
  • Reply 433 of 1176
    WHOIS command system wide gives this error, even if I specify a server:

whois: geektools.com: No address associated with nodename

Any genuises out there no a fix?
  • Reply 434 of 1176
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Been that way since WWDC, Dave.

Thought so...

The reason I ask is I stumbled on a strange 'bug?' in the latest build of 10.3 Address book... Has anyone else had it prompt you with a dialog box asking you where 'Outlook Express' is?

Yea Outlook Express!

Strange thing is this popped up on a machine that I did a FORMAT install on and it didn't even have OS 9 on it let alone Outlook Express...

Something is really strange with that one...

Dave

P.S. That dialog is what prompted me to look for the 'default mail' setting only to find it was gone.
  • Reply 435 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Thought so...

The reason I ask is I stumbled on a strange 'bug?' in the latest build of 10.3 Address book... Has anyone else had it prompt you with a dialog box asking you where 'Outlook Express' is?

Yea Outlook Express!

Strange thing is this popped up on a machine that I did a FORMAT install on and it didn't even have OS 9 on it let alone Outlook Express...

Something is really strange with that one...

Dave

P.S. That dialog is what prompted me to look for the 'default mail' setting only to find it was gone.

I receive the same error. I chose Mail as the Outlook Express application, but it did not help. I also noticed that Apple still has not re-allowed transparency in Address Book icons.
  • Reply 436 of 1176
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkhead

WHOIS command system wide gives this error, even if I specify a server:

whois: geektools.com: No address associated with nodename

Any genuises out there no a fix?

I don't know tons about the command line, but don't you need an http://www. prefix for it to work?
  • Reply 437 of 1176
    no - whois looks at the domain name, not host names.
  • Reply 438 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Anyone else notice that Panther is missing the settings to set your default email client and web browser? I just noticed it with this latest build but for all I know it coulda been like this since the first seeded build. (just happen to notice it today)...

D

They have moved the default settings into the Mail/Safari preferences. Seems kinda weird to have to go into Safari to change your default browser to Mozilla ;-)
  • Reply 439 of 1176
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanthered

They have moved the default settings into the Mail/Safari preferences. Seems kinda weird to have to go into Safari to change your default browser to Mozilla ;-)

Yeah, that sounds like a misfeature.

By the way, welcome to AppleInsider.
  • Reply 440 of 1176
    7b44 is out ;-) somebody who got it from adc post already, i'm still getting it..