Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 441 of 1176
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Macrumors snippet (and commentary from their members) indicates it's a very responsive, stable build... but who knows until you try it.
  • Reply 442 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Macrumors snippet (and commentary from their members) indicates it's a very responsive, stable build... but who knows until you try it.

Probably the best build of Panther yet. Fixed most of the annoying things that were bugging me like the Trash/File System refresh, Mail not being able to open attachments directly, etc.

Also, open/save sheets have a new animation (very neat). They must have enabled some compiler optimizations or something as everything feels very quick. Safari opens in about 1.5 seconds on my 12-inch, Expose doesn't have to think about animating, it just does it.
  • Reply 443 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanthered

They have moved the default settings into the Mail/Safari preferences. Seems kinda weird to have to go into Safari to change your default browser to Mozilla ;-)

Bah, I was tinkering with a 17" PowerBook they had on display at B.Mac. First time I'd sampled Safari, and it was there in the Safari? preferences?

O_O

Holy ****. I was using 10.3 and didn't even know it.

*bawls*
  • Reply 444 of 1176
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    In regards to using Safari to change the default browser, it is currently in the 1.0 release of Safari along with all the original betas of it.
  • Reply 445 of 1176
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Yeah, but in 10.2, it's also in Internet preferences, where it belongs.
  • Reply 446 of 1176
    *click* and the thread view count ticks over the 100,000 mark.

NeXT's heritage of Display Postscript can be seen in System-level PDF support, less so in Quartz Extreme
  • Reply 447 of 1176
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yup, QE is specifically leveraging OpenGL and 3D hardware for compositing. PDF support is orthogonal.
  • Reply 448 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

In regards to using Safari to change the default browser, it is currently in the 1.0 release of Safari along with all the original betas of it.

You killed my hopes and dreams.
  • Reply 449 of 1176
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    Yum, I'm ready to install this build. I updated (because I like to see what happens) from b21 to b39. Everything appears to have gone smoothly except the underlying stuff at the command line is fuxoroed. This was because in b21 the kernel version was actually listed as newer than the one in b39 or at least from the install errors.

Now to be sadistic and upgrade from b39 to b44. Lol I'll have to do a clean install but at least for fun I can screw it all up.
  • Reply 450 of 1176
    jmitchjmitch Posts: 38member
    Can anyone that just got the latest Panther build 7B44 post some screens and maybe give us a few improvements and bug fixes over the prior builds? I especially would like to know if certain visual bugs are fixed, and how is the stability of Finder and Safari? Those were the two areas where I've had problems with these recent builds.

EDIT:

Also, any b39 information is welcome as well.
  • Reply 451 of 1176
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I get the feeling that Apple really is wrapping up Panther development. I thought we at least had a chance for improved text to speech. Apparently, however, fat Vicki was this year's MIP? except we never even got a sampling of Vicki's true talents. I'm guessing any new features will only come in iApps updates.

Just thought of this:

MIP is to Exposé as Fat Vicki is to _______?
  • Reply 452 of 1176
    So far, I think the most optimized build is WWDC, everything after that, except b44(which I haven't seen yet) were not a big improvement and too buggy, especially with video playback (b28 needs to eat it).

I'm hopeful with b44, b39 wasn't too bad. We've been running WWDC upstairs on a G3/350 and it's been running just great ever since I installed it almost 2 months ago: it is a very stable build of Panther.
  • Reply 453 of 1176
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

So far, I think the most optimized build is WWDC, everything after that, except b44(which I haven't seen yet) were not a big improvement and too buggy, especially with video playback (b28 needs to eat it).

Perhaps, but it had bugs appearing left and right.

Quote:

I'm hopeful with b44, b39 wasn't too bad. We've been running WWDC upstairs on a G3/350 and it's been running just great ever since I installed it almost 2 months ago: it is a very stable build of Panther.

B44 is great and they even threw in a new sheet animation. The installer still has the same glitch as B39 though (nothing to worry about).
  • Reply 454 of 1176
    Yeah, but until Panther's iChat AV can use iSight - its unfortunately not something I can use

That said, b44 sounds like its almost there. They just need to work on some of the apps.
  • Reply 455 of 1176
    Quote:

Yes, the video playback sucks in b21 and b28. I'm hoping it is fixed in b44, because I'm skipping b39 and going straight to b44. Did they fix it in b39??
  • Reply 456 of 1176
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    The whole point of beta testing these builds is to give Apple feedback on the current build.
  • Reply 457 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

The whole point of beta testing these builds is to give Apple feedback on the current build.

Ya, I know. I was just wondering if they had fixed in the last build or not. No need to get hasty.
  • Reply 458 of 1176
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    So what is this new sheet animation?
  • Reply 459 of 1176
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    With fast-user switching coming, why not implement multiple logins for the same user. It'd be like a pseudo multiple workspace environment.
  • Reply 460 of 1176
    Would someone with b39 or b44 mind posting a screenshot of the finder?