Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just bought a 12 inch PowerBook a few weeks ago. I am not thrilled with it. Is the 15 inch PG coming out soon? Anyone want a 3 week old PB? LOL

Comments

• Reply 1 of 556
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    You mean you couldn't have said this in the other thread.....please go there now...thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 556
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    My guess is theyll be out within the week.
  • Reply 3 of 556
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Actually, this thread may have some relevance.

Remember the TS report which stated that Apple had 'wrapped up development' of the new Powerbooks eariler this month? How can Apple go from finishing development on a product only to release it two weeks later?

Perhaps we won't see the new Powerbooks until much later; maybe as a possible Nov/Dec product release.
  • Reply 4 of 556
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    You know, Nice DePlume has been spotted here at AI occassionally. If he is reading and has anything further on this subject, he may comment.
  • Reply 5 of 556
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I just bought a 12 inch PowerBook a few weeks ago. I am not thrilled with it. Is the 15 inch PG coming out soon? Anyone want a 3 week old PB? LOL

Yes. i'll give you $500.00 and an Apple sticker for your car.
  • Reply 6 of 556
    bjerbjer Posts: 67member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Actually, this thread may have some relevance.

Remember the TS report which stated that Apple had 'wrapped up development' of the new Powerbooks eariler this month? How can Apple go from finishing development on a product only to release it two weeks later?

Perhaps we won't see the new Powerbooks until much later; maybe as a possible Nov/Dec product release.

The arguement is logical but not quite true.

It is possible for the OEM manufacturer to have produced the hardware and only waiting on the installation of the OS system which can be finished and installed in just a few days.

In trying to capitalize on low cost manufacturing, many Taiwanese OEM manufacturers are assembling hardware in China and then installing the OS elsewhere- Taiwan, Singapore, or even the US. Hence it is possible that new hardware has been off the production line and just waiting for the "wrapping up" of the OS and installation before they can ship.
  • Reply 7 of 556
    I believe that we will see them the first wek of September.
  • Reply 8 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

Yes. i'll give you $500.00 and an Apple sticker for your car.

I can beat that! $550.00 and this? uh, attractive coaster made to look like a CD! Gaze for hours at its reflective surface. You'll wonder how you ever went a minute without seeing the under-side of your drink!
  • Reply 9 of 556
    Let's not all forget the wonderful Education rebate Apple has right now. Buy any powerbook, HP printer, and iPod, and get $300 back. It ends Spetember 27th. The reason I bring this up is because I fell into one of these "traps" when I got my TiBook over a year ago, and the next two weeks, the 800Mhz ones came. Who knows, just throwing out speculation.
  • Reply 10 of 556
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

I can beat that! $550.00 and this? uh, attractive coaster made to look like a CD! Gaze for hours at its reflective surface. You'll wonder how you ever went a minute without seeing the under-side of your drink!

I'll give him $200.00 and a granny smith (collector's edition).

...and a copy of Gigli. On beta.
  • Reply 11 of 556
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    I'm starting to think that the announcement will actually be next week. Apple has a thing about staggering their PR releases during the non-expo periods (such as, say, now) so as not to let something go unnoticed.

Think Secret did say something about "this week," but that may not have been in the August 18-22 timeframe; it may literally have meant within 7 days, which makes August 25th a possibility.

If the answer ends up being "none of the above," then it really might not be until Apple Expo Paris.
  • Reply 12 of 556
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    I think it just has to be this week. People are staring to think of school seriously, and all Apple dealers know an update is soon. Apple can only stand to lose by waiting.

I do understand, though, the "G5 Shipping" is important and they do not want to steal this thunder
  • Reply 13 of 556
    But I do believe the most important thunder for Apple is the Back to School audience. Most schools start on Sept.2. They better have it in the distribution channel and have college campuses armed and ready to go by the time students get there or they'll have missed out. Figure it's already reported that the current PB's are out of supply. What will the lowly campus stores be selling, desktops? I don't think so.
  • Reply 14 of 556
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Over at the Macintoshian Achaia at Ars Technica, the members are anxiously watching the order status of one Brian's 12" PowerBook. He ordered it almost three weeks ago, and it hasn't shipped. It was going to ship on the 19th (sound familiar?) but now it's going to ship on the 26th.

Next Tuesday.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Steve just bumped the date back a week to mess with the rumors sites, but there's probably a more mundane (and more likely!) explanation than that.
  • Reply 15 of 556
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    My guess is that the PowerBooks announcment is constrained by some equation...

When # of PowerBooks in the channel reaches x, announce new PowerBooks on the next Tuesday.

Now, what is the value of x?

MSKR
  • Reply 16 of 556
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 391member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masker

When # of PowerBooks in the channel reaches x, announce new PowerBooks on the next Tuesday.

MSKR

Apple's inventory management is world class. Do you think someone from engineering just pops over to sales and says "I've got some new PBs - we'll release them when the channel is cleared."? Apple has known for months when they expect to release new PBs. There are always unplanned events (hard to make good plans when there are dependencies on moto ), but Apple does this transition all the time. Apple knows when to slow production on existing models and ramp up on new ones. Where we see problems are at the big events where Apple announces something not quite ready for shipping. Before Apple implemented world-class inventory control, there would be a like of Macs piled up in wharehouses, that had to be dumped before new ones could come out. But now Apple basically builds as many as it needs today.

Bottom line - they are not out because they are not ready yet. As I've stated maybe too often, I speculate that Moto failed again on their promises for the 7447/57, that they were originally supposed to be in the 12" and 17" at their introduction, and that is why the 17" took so long to ship - more re-engineering was required than was anticipated for the extra heat. The 7447/57 lagging is still the reason why the PB line has not yet been refreshed. Given the rumors that the PB is expected any day, and that the iMac (ThinkSecret) will be refreshed soon, we can hope that Moto is finally delivering the 7447/57. I predict that a year from now, the Moto - Apple story will come out.
  • Reply 17 of 556
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masker

MSKR

X==0, I suspect, at this point in time.
  • Reply 18 of 556
    Quote:

Hmm, if you make it 2000 it might be worth the torture.
  • Reply 19 of 556
    Quote:

Uhh, is that the Director's cut of Gigli?
  • Reply 20 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I purchased first Mac in March 2003 (iMac 17) and am considering PB 15 soon. Have looked at PB 12 and curious why you do not like the PB 12?

Thanks