Bustamante was (is?) a racist

Comments

• Reply 201 of 227
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

You'd think speaking the language of your father (and his father before him, etc.) would fall under the category of being proud of your culture, language and heritage.

And since you're so pround of YOUR(!) country's culture, language and heritage you may want to actually read about all the non-english speakers who have contributed to your history and reflect on how much American culture is built on things brought to the country by immigrants who maintained their own culture enough that it became part of yours.

What's next? Picketing outside Taco Bell, Pizza Hut or McDonald's because they're too ethnic? Eat American food damnit.

You just proved what I said. You said you'd think speaking the language of your father, etc etc would fall under the category of being proud of your culture, langiage and heritage. Guess what? The United States IS my culture, language and heritage. My father was born here, he speaks English, my heritage is being brought up and raised in New York. It doesn't mean I dissavow my Polish descendency, but the US is my country and I'm proud of it and all we've accomplished-so where does the old country (Poland) end and the new country (America) begin? I identify myself as an American, but you, and many others, think its odd. I think its something to be proud of.

I believe in the melting pot-where all other ethnicities and cultures enhance ours and change it, adding new food, slang, words in everyday use. Nothing I have said changes that-but the US does have a distinct character and, yes, common language that needs to be enhanced not changed................................
  • Reply 202 of 227
    Quote:

I didn't even notice this bit before. That's some quality rhetoric you've got going there.

Can I ask what kind of retard would set up a town that was intentionally supposed to be 'tough'?

By 'retards' you mean our founding fathers? They welcomed immigrants with open arms as long as they could be self-sufficient and not a burden. How do you think the US became a Superpower in 200 years? Those 'retards' sure knew what they were doing............................................. ...
  • Reply 203 of 227
    Well... more recent immigrants aren't going to suddenly become instant American's because they can speak english. They'll have loyalties for where they came from for a long time... perhaps a generation... and while I think it's in the best interests of immigrants to learn to read and speak english well... it shouldn't be a requirement to be an American.
  • Reply 204 of 227
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Well... more recent immigrants aren't going to suddenly become instant American's because they can speak english. They'll have loyalties for where they came from for a long time... perhaps a generation... and while I think it's in the best interests of immigrants to learn to read and speak english well... it shouldn't be a requirement to be an American.

Thats understandable. I just happen to think it should be a requirement. I really don't think its too much to ask to be able to come here and take advantage of all our opportunites to learn to speak English..........................................
  • Reply 205 of 227
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Thats understandable. I just happen to think it should be a requirement. I really don't think its too much to ask to be able to come here and take advantage of all our opportunites to learn to speak English..........................................

Why ignore the point that the Supreme Court disagrees with you?

The United States has nothing to do with English. Language is more than spoken word, and is never stagnant. Make something like that immobile and you undermine the country's strength.
  • Reply 206 of 227
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Why ignore the point that the Supreme Court disagrees with you?

The United States has nothing to do with English. Language is more than spoken word, and is never stagnant. Make something like that immobile and you undermine the country's strength.

The supreme court ruled against it in california, not the US. They are also wrong. The United States has everything to do with english. This country was founded by the English. Having to print govmnt forms in every lagnuage there is is ludicrous and an incredible waste of money.............................
  • Reply 207 of 227
    Quote:

The United States has everything to do with english. This country was founded by the English.

No. We kicked the English out. We're anything but English.

We've always had populations who spoke with many different languages. It's a problem for you, but not for the country. It's good for the country because it opens our society for diversity and change, both of which are essential for survival.

Limiting the country, as you're suggesting, is what will accelerate the demise of the country.
  • Reply 208 of 227
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

A drivers license proves you can do nothing other than drive.

Quote:

Originally posted by bunge I've said this about a dozen times. Some people pretend it's not true though.

Ever hear of Moffett Federal Airfield? That's where Air Force One lands when the POTUS visits the Bay Area. That's the airfield associated with NASA/AMES Research Center. Now that the Computer History Museum has moved off base and since the Moffett Field Air Museum is closed, there are even fewer reasons for people who have no business being there having free access.

The sign on the guardhouse clearly states, "Entry onto this base requires a valid state-issued driver's license," or some similar wording. I can provide pictures on request.

A state issued driver's license may not be considered proof of identity by immigration authorities, but that does not mean every other federal agency follows their example.
  • Reply 209 of 227
    Quote:

No. We kicked the English out. We're anything but English.

We've always had populations who spoke with many different languages. It's a problem for you, but not for the country. It's good for the country because it opens our society for diversity and change, both of which are essential for survival.

Limiting the country, as you're suggesting, is what will accelerate the demise of the country.

What will accelerate the demise of this country is not being able to communicate with each other. The more diverse we are the more important a common language becomes.....................
  • Reply 210 of 227
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skipjack

Ever hear of Moffett Federal Airfield? That's where Air Force One lands when the POTUS visits the Bay Area. That's the airfield associated with NASA/AMES Research Center. Now that the Computer History Museum has moved off base and since the Moffett Field Air Museum is closed, there are even fewer reasons for people who have no business being there having free access.

The sign on the guardhouse clearly states, "Entry onto this base requires a valid state-issued driver's license," or some similar wording. I can provide pictures on request.

A state issued driver's license may not be considered proof of identity by immigration authorities, but that does not mean every other federal agency follows their example.

What do all the people who don't have drivers licenses use as ID when they visit the base? Seems fairly short-sighted to me.

Time for a Federal ID.

Can't afford to travel? Don't waste that $10/year on a passport ... get your nice $25 Federal ID good for 10 years.

Oh well, even though those illegal immigrants can't visit the air base without a drivers license, they can vote.

Don't you think there are other areas that need to be fixed, as well as stopping SB60?
  • Reply 211 of 227
    Quote:

What will accelerate the demise of this country is not being able to communicate with each other. The more diverse we are the more important a common language becomes.....................

It's never been a problem before.

People can communicate with each other now, even when forms aren't in 57 languages. I dont' think the cost of putting forms in 57 languages is obstructive either. The more languages we as a country speak the more options and opportunities we have.
  • Reply 212 of 227
    Quote:

Don't you think there are other areas that need to be fixed, as well as stopping SB60?

I knew there was no good reason to enter this thread again. What does your post have to do with my post?

There have been several posts insisting that the California driver's license was not used except for proof that the bearer is entitled to operate a motor vehicle. I previously provided examples of common uses of the California driver's license which apparently no one believed.

There is practically nothing to do on the base for anyone without a military or government ID. There are a couple of static airplane displays which no one visits. I've never seen anyone picnicing on the parade grounds. Public events are infrequent. The past couple of years there has been an air show (relatively small compared to the air shows when it was a Naval Air Field) and Apple held an employee OS X launch party there.

Even though the base is no longer a regular military installation, there is an active Air National Guard facility. As I mentioned, Air Force One lands there, as do several NASA aircraft.

But the entry requirements for this facility are a state-issued driver's license? A facility where there are (in this thread condition, infrequent) vehicle inspections for weapons or bombs? Where it is not only drivers of vehicles but also pedestrians who require an ID to enter the base?

This is partial rebuttal to those who insist that the California driver's license is used only as a proof that the bearer is entitled to operate a motor vehicle. I didn't say anything about illegal immigrants since, for some reason, many participants in this thread consider that racist and a euphamism for our brothers south of the border, and discount that they might be terrorists from other parts of the world.
  • Reply 213 of 227
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skipjack

I knew there was no good reason to enter this thread again. What does your post have to do with my post?

There have been several posts insisting that the California driver's license was not used except for proof that the bearer is entitled to operate a motor vehicle. I previously provided examples of common uses of the California driver's license which apparently no one believed.

There is practically nothing to do on the base for anyone without a military or government ID. There are a couple of static airplane displays which no one visits. I've never seen anyone picnicing on the parade grounds. Public events are infrequent. The past couple of years there has been an air show (relatively small compared to the air shows when it was a Naval Air Field) and Apple held an employee OS X launch party there.

Even though the base is no longer a regular military installation, there is an active Air National Guard facility. As I mentioned, Air Force One lands there, as do several NASA aircraft.

But the entry requirements for this facility are a state-issued driver's license? A facility where there are (in this thread condition, infrequent) vehicle inspections for weapons or bombs? Where it is not only drivers of vehicles but also pedestrians who require an ID to enter the base?

This is partial rebuttal to those who insist that the California driver's license is used only as a proof that the bearer is entitled to operate a motor vehicle. I didn't say anything about illegal immigrants since, for some reason, many participants in this thread consider that racist and a euphamism for our brothers south of the border, and discount that they might be terrorists from other parts of the world.

Did you even bother to read my reply before responding?

If a drivers license is the required ID to enter the base, and even discounting the fact that there isn't much pedestrian traffic into said base, what do the passengers of vehicles who do not possess a drivers license use as ID to enter the base.

Yes, you've given an example of a situation that a drivers license can be used as ID, but you're not telling me anything new here. You did, however, make me realize that there are perhaps things that legal US citizens cannot do without a drivers license.

That seems strange.
  • Reply 214 of 227
    Quote:

By 'retards' you mean our founding fathers? They welcomed immigrants with open arms as long as they could be self-sufficient and not a burden. How do you think the US became a Superpower in 200 years?

* Your founding fathers *were* immigrants, so not welcoming immigrants would be stupid, just as it is now.

* Welcoming self-sufficient people does not equal making things intentionally tough for the people of your town/country.

* Doing that *would* be retarded and would prevent any country from achieving its full potential. Luckily your founding father's were actually quite sensible then.
  • Reply 215 of 227
    Quote:

Did you even bother to read my reply before responding?

Of course I read it. To tell the truth, I thought you were being sarcastic with the immigrant and Federal ID comments. (I thought your question was posed rhetorically. Sorry if I associated you with some of the other personalities in this thread.)

All I know is what the sign says. I would expect that a NASA/AMES ID is considered the equivalent and personally, I have only shown my military ID for 20 years.

If you live in California, I certainly hope I am not telling you anything new, but the question has been asked, not specifically by you, several times, even when answered.

Finally, I don't remember reading a post addressing the non-driver identification card issued by the California DMV which is intended for use as proof of identity for those who do not operate a motor vehicle.

California DMV-issued non-driver ID cards

In particular, note the following:

"Verify your birth date and legal presence (you may use your California driver license)"

... just another example of the California driver license being used as a derivative identification document.
  • Reply 216 of 227
    Quote:

* Your founding fathers *were* immigrants, so not welcoming immigrants would be stupid, just as it is now.

* Welcoming self-sufficient people does not equal making things intentionally tough for the people of your town/country.

* Doing that *would* be retarded and would prevent any country from achieving its full potential. Luckily your founding father's were actually quite sensible then.

They were quite sensible then, so why change things now? There was no help for immigrants-you made it or you left. I'm glad you agree with it, so why do you make it sound like you dont agree with me when you actually do?..........................
  • Reply 217 of 227
    Quote:

They were quite sensible then, so why change things now?

The earth rumbles folks. steve666 just asked that immigration laws be reverted back to the days of yore. It works for me.
  • Reply 218 of 227
    Quote:

The earth rumbles folks. steve666 just asked that immigration laws be reverted back to the days of yore. It works for me.

Um, you do realize that would mean that only Europeans would be allowed in, and that everything would be printed in English only, don't you?.....................................
  • Reply 219 of 227
    Quote:

Um, you do realize that would mean that only Europeans would be allowed in, and that everything would be printed in English only, don't you?.....................................

That's just not true. More than Europeans were allowed in. Maybe things were printed in English, but maybe nothing official was printed at all. I don't know.
  • Reply 220 of 227
    Quote:

That's just not true. More than Europeans were allowed in. Maybe things were printed in English, but maybe nothing official was printed at all. I don't know.

Everything was printed in English, and had been until about 20 years ago with the birth of entitlements .

The only non-Europeans allowed in were for manual labor from places like China but were not granted citizenship................