Official World Series Topic

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The Matchups:

*Will be updated as needed*

World Series

National League Champions Florida Marlins vs. American League Champions New York Yankees

Game 1: Marlins 3, Yankees 2 @ New York

Game 2: Yankees 6, Marlins 1 @ New York

Game 3: Yankees 6, Marlins 1 @ Florida

Game 4: Marlins 4, Yankees 3, 12 innings @ Florida

Game 5: Marlins 6, Yankees 4 @ Florida

Game 6: Marlins 2, Yankees 0 @ New York

Florida Marlins win World Series 4-2

Note: The American League won the All Star Game in Chicago and as a result, the Yankees have home field advantage for the World Series.

The World Series is a best of 7 and the winners are deemed World Champions. All games are on FOX.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 130
  • Reply 2 of 130
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Best case scenario:

Marlins beat the Yankees in five games. Zimmer and the rest of the assistant coaches flee leaving Torre all alone to deal with Steinbrenner. Torre is fired or resigns and the Dodgers quickly fire Jim Tracy and hire Joe Torre. Dodgers win it all next year.
  • Reply 3 of 130
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Well it's a damn shame that the Yankees treated Zimmer so poorly, and I wonder what role, if any, he will have in the World Series, especially given his comments after Game 7.
  • Reply 4 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

The World Series is a best of 7 and the winners are deemed World Champions. All games are on FOX.

Fran, it's best of 5.
  • Reply 5 of 130
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by penseive

Fran, it's best of 5.

Hmm, some kind of inside baseball joke I'm not getting...

or I need to stop the Saturday beer runs.

• Reply 6 of 130
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    As much as I love baseball..caling it

" WORLD SERIES" is dumb.

Can't see any other countries listed..Nope...

America AINT the world

the only games that should be called world series anything are Soccer, chess, backgammon, tiddlywinks. oh and the Olympic games....

anything else is just dillusional advertising guru bullshit ..

C'arn the Yankeeeeeeeeeeez......5 ZIP
  • Reply 7 of 130
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

" WORLD SERIES" is dumb.

America AINT the world

the only games that should be called world series anything are Soccer, chess, backgammon, tiddlywinks. oh and the Olympic games....

Does the World Cup include every single last microstate??
  • Reply 8 of 130
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I'm sure the switzerland mountain dogs would give the yankees a real run for their money
  • Reply 9 of 130
    Quote:

Fran, it's best of 5.

You have to win 4 games to win the World Series, meaning the series can go 7 games. Thus, it's a best of 7.

Also, there are multiple countries represented that have teams, and MLB is considered to be the premier league for Baseball in the world, so while you don't have a home team in every country, many players come from abroad to play.

If you want to get technical, the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico all had home games this year, and games have been played in the past in Japan.

The score update, btw, is 3-2 Florida in the top of the 8th.
  • Reply 10 of 130
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Same old, same old.
  • Reply 11 of 130
    Puerto Rico is not another country.
  • Reply 12 of 130
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Puerto Rico is not another country.

is that true? i thought commonwealths were still their own countries.
  • Reply 13 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

You have to win 4 games to win the World Series, meaning the series can go 7 games. Thus, it's a best of 7.

I was just shittin' ya. I got both you and murbot to think I was serious. I bet the cubbies wish it were 5. (And maybe red sox fans too even though the sox lost it would have been less painful than losing in 11 innings.)
  • Reply 14 of 130
    Quote:

is that true? i thought commonwealths were still their own countries

Massachusetts and Virginia are 'commonwealths'.

I threw in Puerto Rico just to see the reaction.
  • Reply 15 of 130
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

" WORLD SERIES" is dumb.

America AINT the world

Canada is not another country? And um where did all those ESL players come from?
  • Reply 16 of 130
    Marlins take Game 1.
  • Reply 17 of 130
    Argento:
    Quote:

Marlins are toast. Worst world series ever

_ alliance _:
    Quote:

while it might be a crappy matchup...

You nay-sayers still think it's a crappy match-up? I told you the Marlins wouldn't go quietly.

A tight one-run ball game with the home team trailing, but with 2 men on and only 1 out in the 9th. You can't really ask for anything more as a baseball fan.
  • Reply 18 of 130
    Quote:

A tight one-run ball game with the home team trailing, but with 2 men on and only 1 out in the 9th. You can't really ask for anything more as a baseball fan.

I honestly can't remember a better post season in a LONG time. Baseball needed this.
  • Reply 19 of 130
    Quote:

Argento:

_ alliance _:

You nay-sayers still think it's a crappy match-up? I told you the Marlins wouldn't go quietly.

yes, yes i do. none of the teams i wanted to make it came close. any WS that has the yankees i consider to be crappy, IMO. oh well, at least the braves went out in the first round--that was the only series where the team i was rooting for actually won. my team, the giants, choked yet again, leaving me bitter for a second consecutive season...
  • Reply 20 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by penseive

I honestly can't remember a better post season in a LONG time. Baseball needed this.

the games have been quite fun, despite the lacking matchups. the teams are quite evenly matched, despite the huge range in salary. the marlins have the most heart and desire of any team in the country, and that helped keep me from being terribly upset when they beat the giants. and watching beckett, who lived down the street from me, is always a pleasure. as a baseball fan, it's a good year. but as a fan of specific teams, it's terrible. i have to say that last season was perhaps the best postseason i have ever been a part of, even though my team lost w/ 5 outs to go...