Official World Series Topic

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 130
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Well, I would've preferred a Cubs/ Sox World Series but this series was pretty entertaining. Congrats to the Marlins and especially Ivan "el terrible" Rodriguez, one of my all time favorite players.

Congrats to the Yanks too. Joe Torre is a class act and should he get fired I hope the Dodgers new ownership (when that happens) snaps him up in a hurry.
  • Reply 122 of 130
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The Marlins will be a contender again next year *IF* Loria doesn't steal a page from Huizenga and cash out, sending all vets on their way and possibly trading away the young guys for cash. It all depends on the fans I suppose. The owners have to determine if anybody will actually show up next year. Why field a contender when you only get 15,000 fans a game?

You may have noticed he made NO promises about keeping the team together when he accepted the trophy from Selig.
  • Reply 123 of 130
    Did anybody here happen to record the final moments of game 6, including the credits?
  • Reply 124 of 130
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playof...ory?id=1647552

3rd lowest rated Word Series ever.
  • Reply 125 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playof...ory?id=1647552

3rd lowest rated Word Series ever.

Which is pitiful considering...

1) Roger Clemens' last start...ever.

2) The run-up to the WS

3) the David vs Goliath match-up

4) the quality of games 1, 4, 5, 6 ... game 3 was actually rather good too.

As for 2002. ESPN.com rates it as the 10th best World Series of all-time.

I really don't know why the ratings are even noteworthy. What are you trying to say? The series sucked? Only a Cubs/Red Sox series would have been worthy? To me it doesn't say anything other than the fact that people don't seem care about good baseball...
  • Reply 126 of 130
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Which is pitiful considering...

1) Roger Clemens' last start...ever.

2) The run-up to the WS

3) the David vs Goliath match-up

4) the quality of games 1, 4, 5, 6 ... game 3 was actually rather good too.

As for 2002. ESPN.com rates it as the 10th best World Series of all-time.

I really don't know why the ratings are even noteworthy. What are you trying to say? The series sucked? Only a Cubs/Red Sox series would have been worthy? To me it doesn't say anything other than the fact that people don't seem care about good baseball...

thank you.

it's a relief to see someone making sense here
  • Reply 127 of 130
    Quote:

I really don't know why the ratings are even noteworthy. What are you trying to say? The series sucked? Only a Cubs/Red Sox series would have been worthy? To me it doesn't say anything other than the fact that people don't seem care about good basebal

No, I'm saying the opposite. I'm saying that MLB has to realize what they are doing wrong and make some drastic changes to the way the World Series is run.

The Super Bowl gets high ratings every year, regardless of who is playing, yet the World Series gets ridiculously low ratings. Having earlier games, at least on the weekend, would go a *long way* to help that I think.

Seriously, imagine if Games 1 and 2 on the opening weekend of the World Series were at a reasonable hour during the day. Maybe people would have been more interested in watching the rest of the series had the games been on during the day. At least you could let the kids watch some of the games.

Something has to be done.
  • Reply 128 of 130
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

No, I'm saying the opposite. I'm saying that MLB has to realize what they are doing wrong and make some drastic changes to the way the World Series is run.

The Super Bowl gets high ratings every year, regardless of who is playing, yet the World Series gets ridiculously low ratings. Having earlier games, at least on the weekend, would go a *long way* to help that I think.

Seriously, imagine if Games 1 and 2 on the opening weekend of the World Series were at a reasonable hour during the day. Maybe people would have been more interested in watching the rest of the series had the games been on during the day. At least you could let the kids watch some of the games.

Something has to be done.

no. earlier games would get watched less. hell, i love baseball, but i dont have the time to sit down mid day and watch a 4 hour baseball game. at night i do. as do others.

super bowl is something completely different and to compare the two is stupid. the super bowl is a single day....and its practically a national event.... and.... it's the biggest betting day of the year. again, football is popular because of betting.

people find baseball boring and uninteresting.....that's why ratings get continually lower.
  • Reply 129 of 130
    Quote:

no. earlier games would get watched less. hell, i love baseball, but i dont have the time to sit down mid day and watch a 4 hour baseball game. at night i do. as do others.

So people find time on a *weekend* to watch a NFL game, a college football game, a NBA game, or a NCAA basketball game *during the day* but they can't find time to watch a World Series game?

It doesn't add up. I'm not advocating day games during the week (earlier start times, perhaps), but there's no reason to not have a day game on a Saturday or Sunday.

Obviously something has to change, the ratings are a clear indicator of this. I mean, I love baseball too, but something is definitely wrong when the World Champions drew a crowd of less than 6,000 people to a game this year and only averaged 15,000. Something is definitely wrong when teams aren't supported except in a few select markets.

MLB needs to use this as a wake up call and do something to bring people back to the game.