Animal Cruelty

Comments

• Reply 121 of 178
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

You do it for health?

Maybe mental health if you're spiritual in that way, but...

Ummmmmm....what?

With all the antibiotics, pesticides, chemicals and other crap they put in our food, how is eating veggie/organic not healthy?

I'm not saying you can't be healthy AND eat meat, of course you can. But if you honestly think that smart vegetarians - not talking about people who only eat french fries and carrots - can't be really healthy than you're really not educated on the subject.
  • Reply 122 of 178
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

You're wrong about that. There are no animal products that must be consumed.

Here's a link to the kind of thing I had in mind...

Vitamin B12 in the Vegan Diet

Most B12 vitamin supplements come from animal products, however, I guess I hadn't heard about making up for B12 deficiencies by eating specialized yeast products. Yeast isn't a vegetable, or a plant of any kind... but it's not quite an animal either.

So, yes, I guess if you go out of your way to assemble a dietary regime that has nothing to do with any natural diet that pre-agricultural humans would have been adapted for, you might manage to get by with nothing that every came from an animal.

Still doesn't eliminate the other ways humans cause animals to die just by existing and competing for resources.
  • Reply 123 of 178
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Ummmmmm....what?

With all the antibiotics, pesticides, chemicals and other crap they put in our food, how is eating veggie/organic not healthy?

I'm not saying you can't be healthy AND eat meat, of course you can. But if you honestly think that smart vegetarians - not talking about people who only eat french fries and carrots - can't be really healthy than you're really not educated on the subject.

Golly, what a nice amendment.

Eating organic and eating vegetarian are not equivalent like you initially make it out to be. Since your comment was made under a false pretense, I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who needs to be educated.
  • Reply 124 of 178
    Quote:

Golly, what a nice amendment.

Eating organic and eating vegetarian are not equivalent like you initially make it out to be. Since your comment was made under a false pretense, I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who needs to be educated.

Wrong. I did not initially make them out to be equivalent, reread what I wrote. I did, by an honest mistake, make them equivalent in my last post. I apologize.

I stand by what I said....smart vegetarians can be very healthy. They don't need to eat organic. If you don't believe this, prove it. You'll have to do a lot of research and you'll end up learning the facts - imagine that.
  • Reply 125 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Still doesn't eliminate the other ways humans cause animals to die just by existing and competing for resources.

You're right but it kills less animals.

But I'm not here to argue that anyway....I'm here to argue why vegetarians can be just as healthy as meat eaters
  • Reply 126 of 178
    Quote:

Wrong. I did not initially make them out to be equivalent, reread what I wrote. I did, by an honest mistake, make them equivalent in my last post. I apologize.

I stand by what I said....smart vegetarians can be very healthy. They don't need to eat organic. If you don't believe this, prove it. You'll have to do a lot of research and you'll end up learning the facts - imagine that.

Oh wonderful, backtracking again!

Smart vegetarians don't need to eat organic?! But you just said... What about all those dangerous pesticides, chemicals, antibiotics and increasingly likely GE?

Get back on track, dude. I don't have to research anything since you've already lollygagged on the topics of eating meat+veggies vs. veggies-only and eating organic vs. treated food products.

Your initial statement was the one that implied being a vegetarian was healthy. Healthy compared to what? That statement implies the alternative, being an omnivore, is unhealthy. Quit obfuscating the issue. Are you still going to say you're a vegetarian for health reasons? That's like me saying I eat meat for health reasons. It's an absurd statement to make, don't you think?
  • Reply 127 of 178
    Quote:

Get back on track, dude. I don't have to research anything since you've already lollygagged on the topics of eating meat+veggies vs. veggies-only and eating organic vs. treated food products.

Back on track? You're the one who hasn't even given one arguement for why vegetarians aren't healty.

Here you go, in plain english, again, this is my statement and I challenge you to prove it wrong:

"Smart vegetarians can be very healthy"

Now try and prove it wrong, I dare you. But nope, you'll just find some stupid thing wrong with this post instead of actually trying to bring up some facts. (I can hear you googling from here already)
  • Reply 128 of 178
    I replied while you were editing your post.

Yes, I'm still going to say I'm a vegetarian for health reasons. Yes, I believe that vegetarians can be, as I am, healthier than meat eaters. No, I do not think it is an absurd statement.

Do I really need to get into all the reasons why we don't need meat?
  • Reply 129 of 178
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Ummmmmm....what?

I need those chemicals and stuff in my body to kill virii and bacteria in my body.
  • Reply 130 of 178
    oops
  • Reply 131 of 178
    Quote:

Back on track? You're the one who hasn't even given one arguement for why vegetarians aren't healty.

Here you go, in plain english, again, this is my statement and I challenge you to prove it wrong:

"Smart vegetarians can be very healthy"

Now try and prove it wrong, I dare you. But nope, you'll just find some stupid thing wrong with this post instead of actually trying to bring up some facts. (I can hear you googling from here already)

That wasn't your original statement, but this was:

Quote:

I'd say I do it for two reasos, the first and most important being my own health

I'd say I eat meat for two reasons; it's healthy and it's meat!
  • Reply 132 of 178
    Quote:

That wasn't your original statement, but this was:

I'd say I eat meat for two reasons; it's healthy and it's meat!

How is meat healthy?

Cancer and heart disease are healthy?
  • Reply 133 of 178
    Quote:

I replied while you were editing your post.

Yes, I'm still going to say I'm a vegetarian for health reasons. Yes, I believe that vegetarians can be, as I am, healthier than meat eaters. No, I do not think it is an absurd statement.

Do I really need to get into all the reasons why we don't need meat?

I thought you said you weren't going to preach. Let's hear those reasons though. I'm all ears! How can a vegetarian be healthier than a person who decides he likes meat in addition to vegetables? One emcompasses the other...

You also don't need to eat vegetables either. We can probably safely mine all the vitamins, minerals, sugars, etc. without directly killing anything. We should do that! Star Trek replicator style even. But I bet you still wouldn't eat replicated meat...it's somehow unhealthful
  • Reply 134 of 178
    Quote:

How is meat healthy?

Cancer and heart disease are healthy?

Surgeon General's warning: Meat causes cancer and heart disease but plants do not.

EDIT: changed back to "plants" since distinguishing plants from other non-meat products wasn't important in the statement anyway.
  • Reply 135 of 178
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Geez, can we get a moderator in here... oh...

• Reply 136 of 178
    Quote:

Surgeon General's warning: Meat causes cancer and heart disease but non-meats do not.

Do you honestly think that eating less meat doesn't decrease your risk of heart disease or cancer? What planet do you live on?

Quote:

But I bet you still wouldn't eat replicated meat...it's somehow unhealthful

Making assumptions again, are we? You know what happens when you assume.

Are you really thinking that this is some animal-activist agenda that I'm trying to push by pretending to be concerned about my health? Because thats the perception you're giving me by the way you're handling this. Its like you're out to expose the truth about vegetarians!

Obviously there are vegetarians who are like that, but for every 10 of them there is 1 of us who strongly believes that not eating meat is healthy.

One can be healthier than a meat eater because of all the negative affects meat has on your body. The positive affects are out weighed by the negative and all of the positive can be gained by vegetable/plant sources.

If vegetarians can't be healthier than meat eaters, than what is it, exactly, that is so great about meat that it makes you healthier than a vegetarian when all the vitamins you need can be gained from non meat sources?

And I'm not preaching....responding to your posts is not preaching. sheesh
  • Reply 137 of 178
    Quote:

Surgeon General's warning: Meat causes cancer and heart disease but non-meats do not.

I like how you conveniently changed it from "plants" to "non-meats". Stop editing your posts while I'm responding to them! heh

Saying plants caused cancer sounded kinda stupid, didn't it?
  • Reply 138 of 178
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I horked down a Teen Burger from A&W a couple of months ago. It tasted good, but I puked the $$$$er out about an hour later. I also puked eating asparagas when I was a kid. Point to this? No.

Anyway. Um.

What the hell would I eat if I didn't eat meat? What's left? There's like... chicken soup... errr... broth, spaghetti and meatballs... err.. spaghetti, uh, cereal, beans.... uh... like, soup.... uh...

Sorry, meat is too yummy, I like eating chemicals, and since I have conditioned myself not to think about the animals, it's pretty easy not to feel bad about it.

heh
  • Reply 139 of 178
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Longhorn

was it giant's dick perchance? god, get a life.

Glad you could turn the thread to shit again so quickly, longdong.

Some of you people are paranoid, and it's sad.
  • Reply 140 of 178
    Quote:

I like how you conveniently changed it from "plants" to "non-meats". Stop editing your posts while I'm responding to them! heh

Saying plants caused cancer sounded kinda stupid, didn't it?

No, it didn't sound stupid, it just sounded less accurate since most vegetarians eat things that are neither plant nor animal. But feel free to take the editing as something that empowers your belief even though it doesn't. Anyway, I changed it back to "plants" because it wasn't important either way.

Example: Tobacco is a plant.

And what are these negative effects meat has on my body? Please elaborate.

Who's going to get cancer first, the guy who chews on 12 ounces of tobacco or 12 ounces of rib-eye every day?