Lack of Bidets in the USA....wtf?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Why aren't there any Bidets in this country? Correct me if I'm mistaken but I've been around to many families and houses and have never seen a bidet.

why is this?

How do you stay clean without a bidet?

Seems kinda odd to me...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 178
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Why aren't there any Bidets in this country? Correct me if I'm mistaken but I've been around to many families and houses and have never seen a bidet.

why is this?

Seems kinda odd to me...

must be a european thing, because having a jet of water go up my hoo-haa doesn't sound exactly pleasant to me either.

you see, we use a thing called TOILET PAPER and then we BATHE REGULARLY. it essentially achieves the same thing.
  • Reply 2 of 178
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

must be a european thing, because having a jet of water go up my hoo-haa doesn't sound exactly pleasant to me either.

you see, we use a thing called TOILET PAPER and then we BATHE REGULARLY. it essentially achieves the same thing.

• Reply 3 of 178
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i shove the detachable shower head up my can. seems to work as well, and is cheaper.
  • Reply 4 of 178
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

why is this?

Seems kinda odd to me...

Hi Steve -

Yeah, hehe. I think Americans used to go to Europe, see the bidet in the hotel, scratch their heads in puzzlement, and then use it to wash their socks. At least now we know what it IS! haha.

We shower a LOT over here, Steve. We are so, SO clean!!! It's wonderful, really. For people who shower as much as we do, a bidet is a completely useless appliance, and undoubtedly really expensive at that.

Hehe - hoo-ha?
  • Reply 5 of 178
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

How often do you shower anyway? I just ask because people I know transplanted here from China, Taiwan, etc. only shower twice a week if not once a week...
  • Reply 6 of 178
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Americans shower more often than the Europeans. (Water must be cheaper).

Besides, you don't find bidts everywhere in Europe either. I thought they exist only in Italy and Spain.
  • Reply 7 of 178
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I guess it's better than your hand and a bucket of water.

But, yeah, here in the US we take showers.
  • Reply 8 of 178
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I just use public drinking fountains.
  • Reply 9 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I just use public drinking fountains.

Hehe. You must be from Boulder.
  • Reply 10 of 178
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Sometimes.....when I get nervous.....I stick my fingers in my hoo-haa and.....

***sniiffff****

• Reply 11 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

How often do you shower anyway? I just ask because people I know transplanted here from China, Taiwan, etc. only shower twice a week if not once a week...

I shower every morning, and take a bubble bath for fun in the evening - favorite bubbles = vanilla, peaches and cream, and raspberry. Very relaxing, refreshing, and such nice fragrances.
  • Reply 12 of 178
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

I shower every morning, and take a bubble bath for fun in the evening - favorite bubbles = vanilla, peaches and cream, and raspberry. Very relaxing, refreshing, and such nice fragrances.

have i mentioned how nice it is to finally have a woman back on these boards? guys, please try to clean up your behavior before you scare her off, too.

• Reply 13 of 178
    709709 Posts: 2,016member

Sorry Carol. SNL rip-off. My apologies.

Welcome to AO.

[edit]: I don't really sniff my hoo-haa...although I sniff my gf's hoo-haa if she lets me.

Again, welcome.
  • Reply 14 of 178
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

Americans shower more often than the Europeans. (Water must be cheaper).

Besides, you don't find bidts everywhere in Europe either. I thought they exist only in Italy and Spain.

You don't tend to get them much in the UK either. I had one in my last house but never really used it. That was an exception though - I've seen them in very few other places.

Amorya
  • Reply 15 of 178
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    We won the War on Dingleberries as part of the public works projects from the new deal.
  • Reply 16 of 178
    So you guys take a shower every time you take a shit?

/scratches head

I kinda doubt that.

btw, how often you take showers have nothing to do with it because you obviously don't take a shower every time you take a shit.

toilet paper? you think it's enough? why don't you all just stop washing your hands and use just paper to clean your hands?

Btw, I grew up in Italy and thus am used to bidets.
  • Reply 17 of 178
    Quote:

So you guys take a shower every time you take a shit?

/scratches head

I kinda doubt that.

btw, how often you take showers have nothing to do with it because you obviously don't take a shower every time you take a shit.

toilet paper? you think it's enough? why don't you all just stop washing your hands and use just paper to clean your hands?

Btw, I grew up in Italy and thus am used to bidets.

it's all about timing. for example, i take a shower at nights because i have to be up early for college and want to wait til the last possible minute to get up. therefore, i "shit" (as you so eloquently put it) before my shower. so...the answer to your question usually is yes.
  • Reply 18 of 178
    oh and when i went to visit my friend in Bavaria, i had no clue what the hell that thing was. it looked like a second toilet and i wasnt sure what to do with it. so...i ignored it for the 2 weeks of my stay. i didnt figure it out til a couple years later.

silly euros...
  • Reply 19 of 178
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    What happens down there that would require sitting on a fountainhead? Would I use one 'twere it available? Sure. But I'd probably just get the TP wet and it would stick to my bottom.
  • Reply 20 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

oh and when i went to visit my friend in Bavaria, i had no clue what the hell that thing was. it looked like a second toilet and i wasnt sure what to do with it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highlight of the day!!!!!!

man, I can just picture that!!

you're awesome, dude