Invitation to AppleInsider for Folding@Home

Comments

• Reply 41 of 170
    Mustang Mac

do not underestimate the slowness of that board. (and the site in general) im a board-hopper and there are many free bbs sites out there, so i can't see a reason why he would continue to host it on his home computer. it gives a bad impression to new visitors as if the site is down or something. but its his board and he can run it as he sees fit im just pointing out how it appears to new visitors, maybe the old-timers over there are used to it.

i just came from it and its still slow, as long as they're happy with that, thats all that counts i guess...
  • Reply 42 of 170
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually, if he's interested i could seriously help out on the hosting side of things most likely. (and for free)

check your PM's noah.
  • Reply 43 of 170
    Thanks alcimedes. I'm sure Noah will get in touch with you ASAP. Again, the forums are served on his own personal computer and he has been quite busy lately. Family and work do tend to command high priority.
  • Reply 44 of 170
    Mine is not to question why,

But to take Folding@home and apply

• Reply 45 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Too bad the 'ol render farm is made of cheap PCs.

Don't let that stop you, we have quite a few switchers who brought their PC's online as well.

And I'm sure there are a few G5's on the SPCR's side, how else have they been able to keep just out of reach?

• Reply 46 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mustang Mac

Hey Pluts and Sailfish! How you guys doing? Glad to see some active discussion about the need for more Folding@home recruits to help put the Smack Down on the SPCR gloaters. As for MrMacMan and Team MacRumors. I thought about joining you guys early on in my Folding@home experience, but found no cohesive glue. As one of the top 50 folders in the project (Christian_Bargmann) I feel compelled to point out what attracted me to Team MacOS X. Yes your Team MacRumors has the big sponsorship and site traffic to attract new members, but Team MacOS X feels more like family. Just like my many Macs I have owned over the years. Too bad my Color Classic can't fold. Now if I could just get my eMate and MP2100 to run the CLI client. To all prospective Mac folders, please check out our site, you won't be disappointed. The site is in a continual state of improvement. All members contribute in one way or another to make the forums a fun and informational place. As for PCs, well, unfortunate as it may be Macs only have 5% market share and we must work in the other 95% so PCs are good to bring along with your personal Mac. No matter which team you join you are helping a good cause. Thanks. Fold on!

Right on Christian!

Nothing like our 350,000 point gorrilla to stop by to cheer us on!

• Reply 47 of 170
    just cranked up the dual G5 this morning, you should see a few more WU's coming out now.

is there a invisible version of the client? one of these machines is a lab machine, and i'd rather not leave a terminal window open.
  • Reply 48 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

just cranked up the dual G5 this morning, you should see a few more WU's coming out now.

is there a invisible version of the client? one of these machines is a lab machine, and i'd rather not leave a terminal window open.

Yes there is a way to run it without a terminal window.

I PM'ed one of our guys who knows how to do this to stop here and explain.

What name did you register under and what type of machines?

I'd like to watch you rocket up our team stats list, (I thought I was the only one doing this )

Right on alcimedes, glad to have you aboard!

Others can also join in on the fun as we put the nails in the coffin of SilentPC Review!

Team Mac OS X #1971 (The friendliest Mac folding team!)

http://teammacosx.homeunix.com/

• Reply 49 of 170
    Quote:

We'll look for you in the stats. Those dual G5's are great folders!

Now when you say "invisible", what do you need. I can't get it out of being displayed in "top", for example. I also assume that you are running the CLI Version on both uP's?

You can effectively make it transparent by using one of the folding utilities that you will find on your TEAM site. Look at the thread about InCrease. It will set up a crontab for you (optional) and then permit your machine to fold happily without anyone being aware of its tremendous contribution to science.

Don't want the crontab? No problemo! InCrease will also allow you to start, stop, pause, query, config, etc. both clients. Read the Help Menu prior to installation. This will get you started. There are other applications on site which will do an equally effective job.

You will not have to even use the Terminal if you don't wish to.

If you have any other questions, or if this does not suit your purposes, let me know and tons of people will jump in to assist if I don't find a suitable solution. My handle on the TEAM site is 314159.

Fold on!
  • Reply 50 of 170
    yeah, i tried to register on the boards but never got a confirmatin.

the username i registered under was alcimedes.

i should be able to add a few other machines before the day is out.

so far i've got a G4 800Mhz, a Dual 2Ghz G5, and an 800Mhz G4 iMac.

i've got a few other machines i can toss the client on, and got a coworker to throw the GUI version on his Dual G5 (CLI was out of the question unless i can make it invisble (top excluded), so he might get added to the list, under my name of course.

after that we'll see. but i'm hoping to be in your top 100 withing a month or two tops.
  • Reply 51 of 170
    Old Randy Clements sure did kick a hornets nest!

Bring those Mac's on BABY!!!

w00t!!!
  • Reply 52 of 170
    Quote:

yeah, i tried to register on the boards but never got a confirmatin.

Geesh! Try again. If I managed to do it, you certainly can. There's a requirement in the name field that is not as obvious as it should be. Anyway, others who have read this thread are now registered - you can be too.
    Quote:

the username i registered under was alcimedes.

I don't see you yet, or even pending. So another effort would be in order. Please try.
    Quote:

but i'm hoping to be in your top 100 withing a month or two tops.

You should be there quicker than that with that lineup! It's a mini-Folding Farm!

I am watching this thread. Read my lips: you can make the clients transparent. I'll spend all day/week assisting you if necessary.

BTW, my 83 year old Dad is on our TEAM. He runs the CLI with InCrease using the crontab and loves it. If his Macs are on, which they are - and 24/7 - he is folding. That's how easy it is.

I did not mention that on installation, InCrease saves the existing crontab for you. That may be important to you. It also is easily uninstalled; app plus crontab.

Please be patient with the Forums. Remember that TEAMMACOSX is strictly a grass roots effort. Its a group of great guys and gals from all over the world. We have absolutely no corporate sponsorship. Our site administrator does an excellent job and is truly dedicated to the TEAM. He is investigating the possible move of the Forums so that they will adequately handle our present member level. See his post above.

Several teams above us are comprised of MacBashers and I am tired of reading their garbage. We're going to show them what Macs and Mac users are all about and let them eat our dust!

This is a call for help! If you are reading this thread please consider joining this project. It is a very respected scientific effort.

All the software does is sit quietly and use your otherwise unused uP cycles. It will not slow any applications down. You can even run it while playing processor intensive games...

Thanks to all! Fold on - or at least consider doing so!
  • Reply 53 of 170
    got the transparent stuff going, added a dual 1.25G4 to my mix.

since i can make it transparent, that other dual G5 will be running two clients as of tonight. i tried to reregister, but it said my name was already taken. for whatever reason the confirmation e-mail never made it through. stupid apple e-mail acct.
  • Reply 54 of 170
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Interesting. I'm in.

What's the difference between a 'score' and a 'point' (if there is one)...and a 'work unit'?

I'll throw a DP533 + DP1Ghz + my faithful Cube at it for now, and I'll pull a few more on after The Great Panther Transition?.

(...and I'll register on the boards as soon as the site lets me in )
  • Reply 55 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

got the transparent stuff going, added a dual 1.25G4 to my mix.

since i can make it transparent, that other dual G5 will be running two clients as of tonight. i tried to reregister, but it said my name was already taken. for whatever reason the confirmation e-mail never made it through. stupid apple e-mail acct.

Great news! I told you that it was a piece of cake. Now come and get me in the stats!

Just make sure that you entered your TEAM and folding name correctly in the InCrease preferences.

Noah is apparently doing some site work now. I cannot get in to see if you are indeed registered. Fold along and we shall address this problem asap. Once you get in, do a post in our "Introduce Yourself" and "What's Your Folding Setup" threads and be prepared to meet our somewhat loony group of great folks. I guaranty that you will enjoy your new experience, and be helping with some real science in the process.
  • Reply 56 of 170
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    I have found the issue with registrations, it is supposed to process them automatically and it did not. I have manually processed them. If anyone has issues with registerring on the site feel free to email me.

It will be nice getting the forums hosted on some bigger hardware with a bigger pipe. I am working on it, just trying to determine the best way to go.

Alcimides, can you IM me on AIM. I am on as Noah1975.
  • Reply 57 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Interesting. I'm in.

What's the difference between a 'score' and a 'point' (if there is one)...and a 'work unit'?

I'll throw a DP533 + DP1Ghz + my faithful Cube at it for now, and I'll pull a few more on after The Great Panther Transition?.

(...and I'll register on the boards as soon as the site lets me in )

Welcome Aboard! We now have another "numeric" member! I am 314159 on the TEAM.

A WU or work unit is the actual protein that you will be running. It will sit in a subdirectory named "work" on your computer and will actually be a number of files. There are many projects going, in general release and beta. You can look at the whole ball of wax here. The "description" column on this page will take you to details about the specific project. You will see that each protein has a specific number of points assigned to it. These are determined based on a formula which you can find in the FAQ here. Each WU also has a deadline for submission but your boxes will have no difficulty in meeting them. The "attractive" (i.e. best point credit) WUs for the Mac are the Gromacs projects. We hate the ones called Tinker.

So WUs are worth a certain number of points. When you complete a WU, the results are sent up to the Stanford servers, and the points are credited to your username. I guess that your total points would be considered your "score".

Your total points are then credited to your TEAM total. You should know that there is competition among teams, but that it is very friendly in nature. Our Forums are open to all. We help people from other teams with problems promptly. The other teams generally do the same.

Our primary objective is to assist in a worthwhile scientific effort which has the potential of affecting us during our lifetimes. It's good science from a very reputable group at Stanford.

Is that as clear as mud?

This is explained better on the site - once you and I can get back in.

We're going after those MacBashers. (but in a friendly and courteous manner) 8)
  • Reply 58 of 170
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    I can't match the processing power that alcimedes has, but when I get to work tomorrow I'll install the client on a 233 MHz G3 iMac, 350 MHz G3 Blue & White PowerMac, 400MHz G4 PowerMac, 700 MHz G4 iMac, and a Dual 1.42 GHz G4 PowerMac.

BTW, the fact that you're an independent team is the reason I chose you guys over the MacRumors team.
  • Reply 59 of 170
    noah, i'll try and IM you a bit later tonight. if you're interested, the offer for free hosting still stands, and it would be on a T3 backbone. as long as we're not getting slashdotted, it can fly along under the radar. i've had my site up there for years now without any trouble.

you'd still have full access and control of everything.

i'll let you know when the registration e-mail kicks through.
  • Reply 60 of 170
    Thanks to all for joining the effort. I've tried to spread the word at other Mac Forums to get some more members for the cause. I would recommend others do the same. Be sure to not step on any toes by checking to be sure a Team is not already associated with that forum. I've been monitoring the other places I have posted and we are getting quite a few "looks" a happening. We may need more bandwith Noah, I think that we have opened a watershed! It's all for a great cause. Keep on folding on!