Invitation to AppleInsider for Folding@Home

Comments

• Reply 81 of 170
    Something wrong with that link alcimedes

try this one

http://teammacosx.homeunix.com/software.html

Using Increase was so easy it almost made me cry.

I love it's ability to run "hidden" you don't have to see anything if you wish.

Very nice program, just didn't know what I had. Needs a simple manual.

Just to let folks know, there are deadlines on the proteins, some as short as 5 days and as long as 60. Loading up a low powered/low memory machine with too many F@H's and you'll get nowhere.

With Increase on my Dual 2 GHz, all my 8 F@H's will be running at 25% of each processor, coming due at different times, but the other wu's will quickly take over the remaining available processor if it doesn't get online by itself.

So we will see.

As always check in our forums for the best info to your questions.

http://teammacosx.homeunix.com/

And thanks for all for signing up!

A few thousand more folders needed! Don't be shy!
  • Reply 82 of 170
    Quick clarification:

If you have a broadband connection and are 24/7, run only one WU per processor. Multiple WUs may actually slow you down. It sure as heck can complicate things.

As your WU completes it will be automatically sent to Stanford and a new one will be downloaded and immediately begin processing. This is a totally hands-off process.

Sailfish's technique is fine for dial-up, especially if you are heading off for vacation. It is also usable for dial-up if a WU is due to complete at an inconvenient time.

Here is the link to the InCrease application from the author's site. This is a .dmg file. InCrease will tell you more than you would ever want to know about your current WU and the previous 9 - to the extent that they exist.

There are other equally fine applications on our TEAM site. Come visit and look around.

We sincerely appreciate all of the new members who have assisted our cause. Stanford University's Pande Group also thanks you!

We could really use some additional help. If anyone has questions about either the project or how to get set up, please come visit us in our TEAM Forum or post in this thread.

Thanks guys and gals! Yes! We have quite a few very dedicated Lady Folders on our TEAM. We also have a large contingency of International folks. It's really a quite interesting group.

Pick one:

Volunteer or I will drown this kitten!

or

Volunteer or I won't drown this kitten!

Heck, I'll try anything. Yup! I am a zealous folder. I am so because I sincerely believe in this research. Wanna talk about the worldwide Protein Data Bank and other similar things. Come visit us.
  • Reply 83 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mustang Mac

Hey Pluts and Sailfish! How you guys doing? Glad to see some active discussion about the need for more Folding@home recruits to help put the Smack Down on the SPCR gloaters. As for MrMacMan and Team MacRumors. I thought about joining you guys early on in my Folding@home experience, but found no cohesive glue. As one of the top 50 folders in the project (Christian_Bargmann) I feel compelled to point out what attracted me to Team MacOS X. Yes your Team MacRumors has the big sponsorship and site traffic to attract new members, but Team MacOS X feels more like family.

I don't agree with the whole family argument.

I mean, do you need me to reach through your screen and hug you?

MacRumors has a great following, help for rookies.

Look, the Knight crushed us, but we rose to the occasion and later fought back and beat them. This is the kind of team you would be supporting.

Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

is there a invisible version of the client? one of these machines is a lab machine, and i'd rather not leave a terminal window open.

If you want a no frills, terminal client thats invisible go here:

http://calnet.sdsu.edu/mc68k/

Download F@H and to whichever processor amount you have.

Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

OK, switched over. Sorry 3446. But you did get a couple days worth of G5 Power. Anyways, I have one last question. Is there a way to automatically launch the two CL versions when you startup? I'm sure there is but I am clueless.

Thanks.

Look above.

I just visited the Mac OS X Team Site...

I think I DOS'ed it.

Looks like server = down?

--MrMacMan

[Team 3446]

#1 Mac Team. Kicking PC butt.
  • Reply 84 of 170
    A hearty thanks to the entire AI community that's turning out in droves to help our Mac Folding Team. Team Mac OS X #1971 against these Silent PC review guys, they sure have been a pest.

SPCR doesn't have a lot of folders, but those they do are folding farms or borged machines, eventually that will have to give out.

The steam we are building with the overwhelming support we have here from fellow Mac users is just beginning to bare fruit.

The mighty AI moderator 'alcimedes' has been a tremendous help as to all who are actively participating in this noble effort. He has donated a FLEET of mighty Mac's to the cause and we are forever grateful.

We encourage more folks to join our team as we are not out of the woods yet. We are the only non-sponsored Mac Folding Team, we are not pushing a "web site" or trying to steal members of other boards by using Folding@home as a lure.

We are just dedicated to Folding for a good cause, for a great platform and for a great OS and we are the #2 Mac Folding Team to boot, that says a lot for a non-sponsored team and about the type of people we are.

Any questions about Folding@home can be answered in our forums, we have many tricks and software additions to help the serious folder.

But the easiest way to join is to download the graphical version, type in a nick and Team # 1971.

That's all there is to it. Set it as a startup application and it will go to work automatically.

So please take a moment of your time, put your computer to work and lets solve many of life's deadly diseases.

Our forum boards have been flooded by the SPCR guys, so if it takes awhile to get in don't worry. Try again later.

Download the graphical version, type in team #1971 and about a hour after you finish your first work unit you'll have a stat page and be on our team.

Inside your username/Library/Folding@home folder will be a html file, open that for links to your and team stats.

Of course if you have any questions, please feel free to ask right in this thread, our major team members and AI moderator 'alcimedes' can help you with your problems.

Right on and THANKS!

Just follow our link and we'll get you started.

http://teammacosx.homeunix.com/
  • Reply 85 of 170
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Well, my first 3 attempts did indeed die with the aforementioned power failure, but now everything seems to be running smoothly. This is fun.

And InCrease absolutely rules.
  • Reply 86 of 170
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually, i believe the boards are being upgraded.
  • Reply 87 of 170
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    They are indeed. Soon the slow boards will be but a memory, it just takes time. I hope to be done by the end of this week if all goes well.
  • Reply 88 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Well, my first 3 attempts did indeed die with the aforementioned power failure, but now everything seems to be running smoothly. This is fun.

Hey 709,

Are you are absolutely certain that you lost those 3 WUs? Did you check FAHlog.txt to make sure that they cannot be recovered?

Three errors due to one power failure doesn't sound right to me, although it is certainly possible. If you think that there is any possibility of salvaging them, and if I may be of assistance, please let me know. I would be happy to try.

The best news is that you are now running smoothly and enjoying the process! This is typical of 99.9% of folks involved with this worthwhile project.

Click here for something that you may enjoy looking at a few months from now..after your 1000th WU is complete.

Fold on!
  • Reply 89 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sailfish

We encourage more folks to join our team as we are not out of the woods yet. We are the only non-sponsored Mac Folding Team, we are not pushing a "web site" or trying to steal members of other boards by using Folding@home as a lure.

Don't Diss MacRumors.

Your non-quoting of my post will not allow me not to notice this.

We aren't frikken stealing members, they aren't on your team, don't slander us like that.

Cheap attack.

Very Cheap.

Quote:

Any questions about Folding@home can be answered in our forums, we have many tricks and software additions to help the serious folder.

Same can be said at any forum no?

Is any top 50 team not serious?

Quote:

So please take a moment of your time, put your computer to work and lets solve many of life's deadly diseases.

Indeed, this is what folding is all about.

Again, no slander.

Its for a greater good... I hoped everyone would get that.

Folding FAQ

Folding Site

Folding Client

--MrMacMan

[Team #3446 MacRumors! #1 Mac Team, folding to kick Pc's and Dieases]
  • Reply 90 of 170
    Noah, talked it over with hogfish,

When we come back from our little trip there will be a new baby in the family.

A Dual 2 Ghz X-Serve!

It will be set-up completely to Fold 24/7 for our Team Mac OS X #1971

Cigars for everyone!!!

• Reply 91 of 170
    I just joined the 1971 team. I've been folding for a few days now (at night while I sleep) but it's only at 8.75%. I'll keep it going.

1.47ghz G4/1.12GB RAM
  • Reply 92 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

I just joined the 1971 team. I've been folding for a few days now (at night while I sleep) but it's only at 8.75%. I'll keep it going.

1.47ghz G4/1.12GB RAM

Set it as a startup application in Accounts and set your display to sleep, you can run it 24/7, it will self scale down if you require more CPU.

You should be popping out a work unit a day, easy, unless you get a "Tinker" they take a bit longer more like two days if your running 24/7.

So don't be afraid to just set it and forget it. It will connect when your online by itself as well.

There are deadlines on these work units! Some need to get finished in as little as 5 DAYS to as much as 60 days depending on the work unit, please don't just run it when you feel like it, days could pass and the deadline with it.

Set it and forget it, run 24/7 and you'll rack in the points!

You can find out about the protein your working on here at Stanford University

I miss the graphical version, I used to love to see these proteins rotating on my 23" Cinema (you click the green button) and they change, some small, some HUGE, the faster you get one done the bigger they get over time.

It's all going to a good cause, welcome our Team #1971 and welcome to the "Fold" I'll be watching your stats!

And Thanks! Bring more friends!

• Reply 93 of 170
    Welcome to the Akumulator, thanks for joining our family! Great news Sailfish, the stogie is lit! Sounds like you got "blessed" with a Tinker work unit Akumulator. It will take what seems like forever to get it finished. I can't figure out why the Stanford servers always send out the slow as molasses Tinkers for new members. Without fail I have received a Tinker on EVERY new machine I have up and running (and that is a lot). I am sure this is why many members say "the heck with it" and stop folding shortly after they have joined up. Stay the course and all will fold well! Folding, folding, folding! Keep those proteins folding!
  • Reply 94 of 170
    so would a Tinker be one of those WU's that's considered 2,500 cycles, or whatever the measurement is?

i had a pile that were 400 something that took a while, but then got one at 2,500, so maybe those 400's were small.
  • Reply 95 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

so would a Tinker be one of those WU's that's considered 2,500 cycles, or whatever the measurement is?

i had a pile that were 400 something that took a while, but then got one at 2,500, so maybe those 400's were small.

You'll tell right off if you got a big Tinker, it takes awhile to finish. There are smaller Tinkers as well and then there's everybody's favorite the Gromacs, which give the best rate of return.

You can check the name of your present core in Increase.

Gromacs run a FahCore_78.exe. Tinkers run the other, I only got one so far, lucky me.

Keep up the Fold guys, it's a long hard job and the more Mac users who get involved and pitch a hand the better.

So if you haven't signed up Please do so now!

Single processor OS X machines 400 Mhz or above, download the graphical version and set it as a startup in your accounts and forgot it or watch it work.

Dual processor machines download Increase and run at least two CPU's, if you have 56K dial-up consider running at least 4 F@H (change CPU to 4 or more) this way it will work when your offline.

Links to Folding@home and Increase:

Remember our Team number is #1971
  • Reply 96 of 170
    Hot damm! alcimedes!

What it's only been a few days and your already cranked out 26 work units for 1100+ points!

I see you in my rear view mirror and I know your going to blow my doors off.

Bring on that Freight Train!!

w00t !!
  • Reply 97 of 170
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Congratulations for taking out those Knights, Team Mac Rumors! I folded for you earlier when I still had a PC but since I now only have a Pismo 500 I felt that folding on this machine was pointless.

Yours, Kermit (Once only a few steps from the Team Mac Rumors top 100 list)
  • Reply 98 of 170
    Yes they did a very good job and I'm proud of their work,

Now it's Team Mac OS X #1971 turn to kick their PC nemesis, the SPCR's.

Who unlike the Knight's, have been talking considerable "$&#(%" about Mac people, been borging out PC's without peoples permission and quite frankly been a royal pain in arse.

So we are fed up and Team Mac OS X #1971 and AppleInsider have teamed up to deal them a punishing blow.

So if you want to get involved folks, we are signing up!

The steam roller is coming, enjoy the fun!

Graphical or console with Increase, it all goes to the team

Remember to enter #1971 for the team and see you in our forums!
  • Reply 99 of 170
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Sailfish, if you ever need a job, then 'minister of propaganda' should be a position to consider. You are hammering through your message using what appears to be a full-size sledgehammer.
  • Reply 100 of 170
    i'm hoping to break the top 100 for the team within a week or two tops.

some of my processors are just starting to turn in units.