Invitation to AppleInsider for Folding@Home

Comments

• Reply 61 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

I can't match the processing power that alcimedes has, but when I get to work tomorrow I'll install the client on a 233 MHz G3 iMac, 350 MHz G3 Blue & White PowerMac, 400MHz G4 PowerMac, 700 MHz G4 iMac, and a Dual 1.42 GHz G4 PowerMac.

BTW, the fact that you're an independent team is the reason I chose you guys over the MacRumors team.

Thank you very much fahlman!

Your power is better than 50% plus of the present TEAM. We need to check before setting up the 233 and 350 MHz boxes. You'll want to insure that they can complete the WUs within the deadlines. There is some information here concerning the minimum processor requirements. You may want to check it out. I would do it for you but I am down for the count this evening. Your other boxes will produce plenty of points.

That said, I have an old Compaq laptop that has been folding for about 6 months. (don't tell anyone on the TEAM) We fold with what we have. Anyway this has an AMD 360 MHz uP and it does one WU every 26 days - always a 70.9 pointer so far. So it at least contributes to science since it can't do much else. Also have some boxes that can do 3 of the smaller WUs/day - so they can add up quickly..

I am fairly new to the TEAM too - about 8 months or so. I joined for the same reason - plus the members are about the finest group that I found on the net. Good choice on your part - as we both pat ourselves on the back.

Let us know if we can assist you in getting set up. We'll look for you in your new Forums - and - in the stats!

ANY OTHER VOLUNTEERS? We sincerely need your assistance. We are a grass-roots TEAM, with no corporate sponsorship. We are just a dedicated group of folding guys and gals. Our membership is International in nature with the largest concentration in the U.S.
  • Reply 62 of 170
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Well, I am busy on SETI units, but I guess I can put those off for a while.

Right now I am donating processor time from my Dual G5 (Running 2 CL versions. Never done that before!).

Now you just need to send a E-Mail to Virgina Tech...
  • Reply 63 of 170
    Cool, and welcome to the fold!

A fold today will keep the Doctors from guessing Tomorrow

Greetings Ebby, Ken here, I fold on a Dual G4, Soon to add to the collection a Dual G5, and there is a little celery 1.4 GHz hiding in the corner.
  • Reply 64 of 170
    Great Ebby! Thank you very much for the generous "donation". We sincerely appreciate it.

Is that your Porsche on your site? It's a nice set of wheels, man.

I started with SETI and switched over to F@H after evaluating the true scientific merits of the two projects, actual results to date, and the potential effect of the "research" or research on us during our lifetimes. It was a tough decision for me. Check my member profile in our TEAM MAC OSX Forums and you'll see why... In no way shall I ever regret my decision. I love folding... We'll see where you end up.

It's interesting running 2 clients, isn't it?

I voted (1 yes, 0 no votes) and decided that you should consider experimenting with this setup for at least a year.

I live a short distance from VT. I am a known Folding Addict and they have a restraining order which does not permit me to be within 2 miles of their SuperComputer.

Welcome aboard! Let us know if we may assist in any way...

PLEASE! - - Any other volunteers?
  • Reply 65 of 170
    Damm, we had those SilentPC Review within 8,000 and they just jumped to 10,000, they must have dumped all their Tinkers.

Frigging cheaters, what's the spy report?

Come on and get aboard guys.

http://teammacosx.homeunix.com/

or download Folding@home here

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/

Enter Team #1971
  • Reply 66 of 170

(just kidding)
  • Reply 67 of 170
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    noah's forum setup would puke and die if it even got a hint of a /.

it has a hard time with AI traffic.
  • Reply 68 of 170
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    POWER FAILURE!!!

I was pleasantly suprised to see my little babies start right off again where I assumed they had died.

*phew*
  • Reply 69 of 170
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by alcimedes

[B]noah's forum setup would puke and die if it even got a hint of a /.

Who wouldn't? ahh damm Story Rejected again....

Back on topic! Hey we still need more folders! So get aboard, ask questions etc. Should be seeing a bit more traffic (I hope)

Those SPCR's are STILL talking Sh*t and need to go down...

So get Folding, folks!

and to those who have signed up a HEARTY THANK YOU!
  • Reply 70 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

POWER FAILURE!!!

I was pleasantly surprised to see my little babies start right off again where I assumed they had died.

*phew*

Yes they "save" periodically, really hassle free, especially if you got broadband. Set the Graphical Version as a startup application and you can just leave it be.

I like to fiddle with mine to squeeze every drop out, so I run 4 console versions via terminal, I could use InCrease (available at Team Mac OS X) but I want to learn UNIX and this gives me the opportunity to learn by necessity.

So my 4 F@H's are staggered because I'm still on 56K, one on each processor, so when I'm away, the Dual G5 grinds away at those proteins without a lapse.

What I liked about the Graphical version is showing off the power of my G5 and 23" Cinema to my friends.

They are impressed that I got so much CPU power that a prestigious university like Stanford can borrow some of it and I still can play HALO without a hiccup.

I miss the cool graphics, perhaps I'll use Apple Remote Desktop and the eMac will display the GUI version. Then I get the best of both!

Hmmmm

Fold On! #1971

• Reply 71 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

POWER FAILURE!!!

I was pleasantly suprised to see my little babies start right off again where I assumed they had died.

*phew*

I assume (hope) that you are referring to the F@H WUs here? I am in Central VA and last night had numerous power dropouts. My UPS's were singing all night - really pixxing off my wife. So I stayed up and babysat with a bunch of WUs. Didn't lose a single one. Checkpoints are written periodically so that you should never lose a WU in progress. Check your log - FAHlog.txt.

For dual processors, make sure you give different Machine IDs to the two clients! Forgot to mention this earlier but it's in the install directions.

Anyone else willing to help us out? If so, thank you very much!

I was gonna say "Help us out or I'll shoot this puppy" but I don't have a gun handy and I happen to love dogs.....
  • Reply 72 of 170
    Here is the link to the InCrease application which I mentioned above. Installation is straightforward but read the Help Menu first, especially if you have dual processors. Make sure that you enter 1971 in the Team Field and that your username is unique. The latter is done at the top of the Stanford Download page which is here.

Complete details concerning this application and several other excellent ones may be found on our TEAM site which is here. .

This author maintains a Help thread in our Forums, is extremely responsive to new feature requests, and beyond that, a nice guy. The thread is mainly used for information on new versions and feature requests. Feel free to jump in with your suggestions.

I am aware of several new AI friends who are using InCrease to simplify and enhance their folding experience. All seem quite pleased.

InCrease is especially useful for those who have an aversion to using Terminal which the F@H CLI Client typically required. You won't need Terminal with this setup at all.

InCrease may be downloaded here.

Note that there is also a Graphical Client available at the Stanford link above for those with single processors who want to see their proteins actually folding. It pretty much installs itself but does not offer the flexibility of the CLI version.

Have fun!

More Volunteers Please?

Tired of my asking? Think that I am one of those "Folding Addicts"? Ok, I am in denial! Try it and you shall see why!
  • Reply 73 of 170
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Well, I installed the CLI client on four computers this evening, 233MHz G3, 400MHz G3, 450MHz G4, and Dual 1.42MHz G4. How will I know if the computers are actually processing WU? When I get a chance I'll join the boards on teammacosx site.
  • Reply 74 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Well, I installed the CLI client on four computers this evening, 233MHz G3, 400MHz G3, 450MHz G4, and Dual 1.42MHz G4. How will I know if the computers are actually processing WU? When I get a chance I'll join the boards on teammacosx site.

Right on! Welcome to the Team Mac OS X fahlman!

Ok you downloaded a CLI for each computer on Mac OS X,

On the single processor machines all you have to do is double click on the fah4 icon and terminal will launch, the program will launch (within a window called a "shell") automatically.

You just configure with your nick, team number #1971 and the rest of the configurations that you desire. Pressing "return" after each. If you "Yes" to "ask before connecting" you will have to type a "c" everytime it wants to go online.

Now on the Dual processor machine you can have two CLI versions running at the same time, one on each processor, we can fill you in on that later.

So if your "shells" are running you should see a terminal window with something like this.

[19:54:14] (Starting from checkpoint)

[19:54:14] Protein: p1013_lzip_273

[19:54:14]

[19:54:14] Writing local files

[19:54:30] Testing CPU type...

[19:54:30] Done testing.

[19:54:30] Extra AltiVec boost OK.

[19:54:30] Writing local files

[19:54:32] Completed 0 out of 125000 steps (0)

[20:03:30] Writing local files

[20:03:32] Completed 1250 out of 125000 steps (1)

[20:12:03] Writing local files

[20:12:05] Completed 2500 out of 125000 steps (2)

[20:20:46] Writing local files

[20:20:48] Completed 3750 out of 125000 steps (3).....

When it finishes it will upload and then download a new WU. If your offline it will keep trying time to time. To stop a "process" running in a "shell" you hit Control "c", don't just quit Terminal it can cause problems for fah4. You can then quit terminal and double click on the fah4 icon to restart or type: cd /Users/"yourname"/"foldername"/"foldername etc"; ./fah4 And it will pick up where it left off.

Or you can use Increase which makes it easier (at our site.)

You will then get on your stats and the team stats, within a hour or so.

Inside your username >Library folder will be a new folder called Folding@home. Inside there will be a html file which you doubleclick and give you links to your stats.

You can also open Activity Monitor in your applications > utilities folder and see the FahCore_78.exe (etc) running.

Also your CPU monitor will be at full usage on the single processor machines.

To get maximum usage of the Dual processor you have to run 2 versions, each in their own folder.

I have posted how to do this in above post, check it out.

You can get all your questions answered at our forums, so please stop in and say hello.

Thanks for joining Team Mac OS X #1971 !!

• Reply 75 of 170
    For all those who are just stopping by for the first time, I'll summarize.

Our Team Mac OS X #1971 has been taunted and ridiculed by the Team above us (SilentPC Review) for way too long now and quite frankly we are fed up. So we are here to ask fellow Mac users to join in a noble effort and run Folding@home on their computers so we can get by these bozo's and take their spot from them on the team stats.(and of course eventually everyone above that. )

Folding@home is software that was helped written by Apple Computer for the Stanford University. It computes protein folding that is going to solve many of the world's diseases and already has claimed numerous success.

It's designed to run borrowing your spare CPU and designed to be very unabtrusive as possible and easy to use, I can run it and play the hardest games with no problems, it scales itself down automatically. Set it as a startup application and you can leave it be. Or be a full on console tweaker, your choice how addicted you want to become.

You can also "borg" machines if you wish, or need to have no client access (like in a school or lab setting) check in our forums for "Increase" and how to do this.

There are three versions, screensaver, graphical and console (terminal) versions.

If you have a single OS X processor machine and/or would like to watch it work, then get the graphical version, or the screensaver version.

If your more adapt and either have a Dual processor machine or like to use terminal, then get the no nonsense console version.

The software automatically downloads a work unit and uploads it when it's done. You get to help science, form a mild addiction, enjoy some competition and a great group of Mac Folders (PC switchers also welcome, bring your boxen!) your machine cranks away and everyday we help save lives.

I ask you to pick our Team #1971 because we have a good web site, a great name and a great bunch of seasoned folders willing to help.

All we do is Fold!

We are also the only non-sponsored Mac folding team, no money flows here. We have done this all by ourselves, and we are in the top 30 folding teams worldwide!

The AI community is throwing it's effort behind us and for all Mac users.

So come join us, click on the link and join our noble effort!!!

All skill levels can apply!

(and help kick some Silent PC booty!)
  • Reply 76 of 170
    Wait a second. Are there now 2 mac teams: 3446 and 1971? Which one should I choose? Do all the work units go to the same place or should I have each one of my G5 processors work for a different team just to be fair?
  • Reply 77 of 170
    nah, put 'em both towards 1971. it's the team that needs the help. besides, the Silent PC users keep saying we'll never catch them, and unless we add a few more people, they're right.

PC users can't be right.
  • Reply 78 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Wait a second. Are there now 2 mac teams: 3446 and 1971? Which one should I choose? Do all the work units go to the same place or should I have each one of my G5 processors work for a different team just to be fair?

The other team is doing very well, Team Mac OS X #1971 is #2 and presently duking it out with Silent PC Review, they have called us "Macheads" and "cultists" and flooded our board.

We are tired of their BS and wish to put them down, so if you want some fun and competition we got that!

The whole AI community is turning out to put these guys down!

You can check inside your Folding@home folder for a html file that will link to your personal stat page and of your team about a hour after you upload your first work unit.

Hope you punched in #1971 and come see us in our forums with any questions.

• Reply 79 of 170
    OK, switched over. Sorry 3446. But you did get a couple days worth of G5 Power. Anyways, I have one last question. Is there a way to automatically launch the two CL versions when you startup? I'm sure there is but I am clueless.

Thanks.
  • Reply 80 of 170
    download the increase app.

you can get it from a few places, but just for kicks you can also get it from the post below. my link was pooped.

It does it all for you, installs the clients, auto launches them, they run in the background with no terminal open, no GUI, no nothing. it's so easy it hurts.

edit: fixed bad info.