No new PowerMacs until March?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This from macosrumors:

"Many of our sources have been increasingly conservative in their projections for a new PowerMac G5 lineup, but until very recently, almost all were predicting the announcement of new models by the end of the month.

A recent report by ThinkSecret has given many rumormongers pause on this topic; now many are beginning to question whether the need to hit speed targets without sacrificing immediate availability of the new models could cause Apple to hold off on upgrade announcements until some time in March. Backing this up is considerable public-domain evidence that supplies of refurbished G5s remain strong enough to prop up dwindling stocks of new PowerMacs until as late as the second week of March, if need be. The situation remains murky enough that we are no longer attempting to make predictions at this juncture, but expect daily updates on the subject as the update draws closer."

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 230
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Thoughts? Yes. Mac OS Rumors is lame.
  • Reply 2 of 230
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Thoughts? Yes. Mac OS Rumors is lame.

...but this time I think they're correct. No, I'm not going to offer to auto-fellate myself if I'm wrong, but I think the end of March is looking more and more likely.

And my SP 1.25 MDD G4 is feeling more and more slow!

-J
  • Reply 3 of 230
    Quote:

Originally posted by bangstudios

...but this time I think they're correct. No, I'm not going to offer to auto-fellate myself if I'm wrong

-1 point for spelling

Fillet
  • Reply 4 of 230
    At this point, I'm just curious to know what the sales figures for total computers sold from Apple wiill be this quarter. Yikes(in a bad way), maybe?\

My guess is, right now the mini is taking up all of the distribution. If Apple did introduce a possibly ready new G5 and iMac, there wouldnt be a way to ship it out for weeks upon weeks. We'll probably have to wait 2 weeks to a month before we see another hardware announcement. Even then, it may take a couple weeks to ship, from the time of announcement.
  • Reply 5 of 230
    He meant what he wrote. "Auto- fellate" Look it up in a dictionary or Word's dictionary.
  • Reply 6 of 230
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Is it me, or does the transparency that they're just blatantly making stuff up get clearer all the time?
  • Reply 7 of 230
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

...My guess is, right now the mini is taking up all of the distribution. If Apple did introduce a possibly ready new G5 and iMac, there wouldnt be a way to ship it out for weeks upon weeks...(

If this were the case then Apple needs to find better distribution channels. Especially since the mini, iMac, PM and PowerBooks are all produced at different facilities. In fact, I think that most these are contracted out to different vendors, though the PM may still be produced in house. If I recall correctly the iPod, software and hardware, are produced by a non-Apple entity. The iMac and PowerBooks are produced in Taiwan, or in another Asian country. The eMac, PowerMac, and the Xserve are the only computers that I don't recall referenced as being outsourced. Apple has handled near simultaneous release of products before, so I doubt this is the hold up. More likely it is a mixture of supply of components and marketing that is holding up any announcements. I would bet that Apple has a pretty well though out timeline for timing the 20th anniversary announcements that we will hear throughout the year, with one coming at least once a month.

January = Xserve, iPod mini, etc.

February = Pepsi promo, iPod mini shipping, something else?

March = iMac, PowerMac

April = iBook, PowerBook, eMac

May = Updated Xserve

June = PowerMac announcement, 3.2 Ghz shipping by end of summer.

July = iMac update announced, shipping by end of summer, iPod/iPod Mini updates.

Aug = iBook, PowerBook announcements.

Sept = OS X 10.4 announcement, shipping by November

Some room in there for maneuvering and adding in software and music announcements to draw it out through November, but I think the above is a pretty good guess.
  • Reply 8 of 230
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rmh1572

He meant what he wrote. "Auto- fellate" Look it up in a dictionary or Word's dictionary.

Yup -- kind of goes back to the original G5 intro on here!

-J
  • Reply 9 of 230
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rmh1572

Dictionary, google is much faster, I stand corrected and award 2 points. Damn, their are no smiies with tongues...
  • Reply 10 of 230
    They better be announced by the end of March and they better be shipping within two weeks! I'm getting tired of waiting and I've been waiting for almost 2 months. But I agree that the signs point to sometime in March, near the end of March. I checked a couple of retailers and they had a lot of volume of current G5s in stock. Looks like there is a lot of stock to be cleared from the channels, yet.

It's been a very boring February.
  • Reply 11 of 230
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Dictionary, google is much faster, I stand corrected and award 2 points. Damn, their are no smiies with tongues...

Yes there are
  • Reply 12 of 230
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Yes there are

now how was I supposed to know that I could use this code .

• Reply 13 of 230
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonard

... I'm getting tired of waiting and I've been waiting for almost 2 months. ... Looks like there is a lot of stock to be cleared from the channels, yet.

The wait is over for me. I bought the 1.25 GHz Superdrive Powerbook yesterday at CompUSA. I bought my first Macintosh 3 years ago (a Cube) although I really wanted a TiBook which they had just released at the MWSF of 2001. I decided to wait for the portable to reach a GHz before I bought.

Even after the TiBook reached 1 GHz I waited... and waited. I picked up a dual 500 cheap along the way... and waited. This week CompUSA offered 18 months same as cash (until Saturday) so I made my move.

I spent over 4K, getting the wireless keyboard & mouse, a Wacom tablet, Gig of Ram and a Epson R300M printer plus misc. accessories. I've got a year and a half to make this thing pay for itself. Any creative ideas on how I can do that?

This month has been anything but boring for me.
  • Reply 14 of 230
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    A theory: They're going for 3 Ghz in the next speed bump. They're not going to wait until the end of summer as we all expect. Perhaps in April or May.

1. We know Jobs said 3 Ghz before the end of summer '04.

2. The current G5s have really only been available for 6 months now, or less, given the initial delay. That's a relatively short life span, especially with the mid-range speed-bump recently. A new release in April or May would really only be about 9 months, which would be a reasonable life span for this machine.

3. If speed-bumped PowerMacs (say, 2.5 Ghz) are released in March, that's an awfully short life span for them too, assuming that 3 Ghz ones would replace them by end of summer.

I know, 1 Ghz is a pretty large jump. But it might be more cost-effective for them to skip intermediate jumps and instead sell them for 9 months rather than 6.

Eh, maybe not. But they better do it quick, because if they push it any longer, it's going to be hard to meet an "end of summer" goal for the 3 Ghz speed bump Jobs promised.
  • Reply 15 of 230
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

My guess is, right now the mini is taking up all of the distribution.

]

No, the are lots of planes and ships crossing the Paciific that are carrying stuff that have absolutely nothing to do with Apple or the iPod Mini
  • Reply 16 of 230
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

1. We know Jobs said 3 Ghz before the end of summer '04.

No, when Steve announced the G5's he said "within a year" not "by the end of the summer" or "within a year of users receiving the G5."
  • Reply 17 of 230
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NShirkey

No, when Steve announced the G5's he said "within a year" not "by the end of the summer" or "within a year of users receiving the G5."

No, at the Paris expo he changed that to the end of summer 2004. Either way, if they keep waiting it makes the timeline trickier to keep that promise.
  • Reply 18 of 230
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Is it me, or does the transparency that they're just blatantly making stuff up get clearer all the time?

LOL!!! Totally agreed!
  • Reply 19 of 230
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonard

They better be announced by the end of March and they better be shipping within two weeks! I'm getting tired of waiting and I've been waiting for almost 2 months. But I agree that the signs point to sometime in March, near the end of March. I checked a couple of retailers and they had a lot of volume of current G5s in stock. Looks like there is a lot of stock to be cleared from the channels, yet.

Good luck clearing those quantities of G5's... if people have waited this long they are going to wait for the updates. Anyone who buys a g5 right now is out of their mind. I would assume power mac sales are way down right now. I'm too lazy to find a url right now. I just don't see how they could keep up those sales. \
  • Reply 20 of 230
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

No, at the Paris expo he changed that to the end of summer 2004. Either way, if they keep waiting it makes the timeline trickier to keep that promise.

How often has apple honored year timelines

Of course all of the ones they haven't been faithful towards was due to other companies slacking. Its completely out of Apple's hands to have a 3ghz g5 ready before end of summer... its all on IBM. They just released a 2.5ghz... why would they release another 500mhz speed bump in 6 months when the 2ghz lasted for 13 months?? (they announced the 2ghz 970 back in January 2003.... 2.5ghz 970fx in February 2004...

But then again... its been mentioned that ibm could have a deal with apple not to mention what apple gets... who knows.

I hate to say it but we are all GUESSING 100%. Power Mac sales have to be done... could you imagine Apple milking those low power mac sales for another 6 months? won't happen.