iPod mini, mass appeal or not?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    For me the decision to go mini was simple, I can get two minis for the price of a 40 gigger. So I get the silver and my GF gets the green for her birthday. Thanks Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Its just as functional, I did it all the time with the original iPod. People dont know what they dont try.

I never said it couldn't, I said that the iPod mini is no better than the original iPod in this respect, thus making the jogging support a moot point. Unless you use the armband, in which case you may get slightly better performance.

My point is that no matter how you slice it, *both* iPods are *equally* inferior to a 256MB solid state that holds enough music for a 2 hour run in this respect.
  • Reply 23 of 104
    I now have the mini in my posession. Video review to be posted shortly.
  • Reply 24 of 104
    Quote:

I now have the mini in my posession. Video review to be posted shortly.

Take your time. Please.
  • Reply 26 of 104
    Quote:

You are certainly an Apple propagandist if there ever was one.
  • Reply 27 of 104
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Oh well, he's excited. I'm sure he'll calm down once he gets it out of his system.

That IS a damn nice looking little unit though.
  • Reply 28 of 104
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    If I had a nickel for every time I heard that.

Hey, if AI is ever strapped for cash in a genuine kinda way, I propose some sort of paid webcast cage match between Messiahtosh and murbot.

"The Masked Fetishist vs. Captain eBay...".

"I've got my new iPod mini!"

"Who gives a shit. I've sold more crap than you'll ever own."

"It's on now, mother****er...wait, let me set my camcorder up!"

• Reply 29 of 104
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I'm ****ing there.

Bring it on.

• Reply 30 of 104
  • Reply 31 of 104
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Special note: I'm so glad they went back to the first gen control style. I hate the button location on the new iPods.

I like the positioning of the buttons in the current gen iPods because they're all in one row. It's more logical than having the "Play" button at the bottom of the wheel and a "Menu" button at the top, especially when the menu transition animations are side-to-side. It's also easier to blindly identify each button on the current iPods. With the old iPods, the buttons are identical by feel because of their circular arrangement.

I think a row of mechanical buttons would be best, though the iPod mini design is a better compromise. The electro-static buttons are a bigger problem than the positioning.
  • Reply 32 of 104
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Chris, buddy, get out and get some fresh air.
  • Reply 33 of 104
    Quote:

And I half expected you to toss the iPod mini tumbling into the air...

Also, the first CD players came out in the very early 80s.
  • Reply 34 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

Chris, buddy, get out and get some fresh air.

:::Looks at EmAn's post count:::
  • Reply 35 of 104
    Quote:

I am very surprised, naysayers...here is how people decried the original iPod.

Looking back at the above thread, it would seem people just don't get it. Congratulations on your new mini. If I can fond someone to buy my 15 GB, I'm getting one this weekend.
  • Reply 36 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Also, the first CD players came out in the very early 80s.

1982, if I recall correctly.
  • Reply 37 of 104
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

:::Looks at EmAn's post count:::

:::the majority of them are from 2 years ago:::
  • Reply 38 of 104
    Quote:

I like the positioning of the buttons in the current gen iPods because they're all in one row. It's more logical than having the "Play" button at the bottom of the wheel and a "Menu" button at the top, especially when the menu transition animations are side-to-side. It's also easier to blindly identify each button on the current iPods. With the old iPods, the buttons are identical by feel because of their circular arrangement.

I think a row of mechanical buttons would be best, though the iPod mini design is a better compromise. The electro-static buttons are a bigger problem than the positioning.

seems like it would be harder to distinguish blindly a row of buttons as opposed to ones around a circle - up for menu as opposed to up and a little to the left menu - i think the mini may have the best controls, clean and simple, but i haven't been able to use one in person...
  • Reply 39 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDebaser

seems like it would be harder to distinguish blindly a row of buttons as opposed to ones around a circle - up for menu as opposed to up and a little to the left menu - i think the mini may have the best controls, clean and simple, but i haven't been able to use one in person...

The problem is the buttons on the old iPod are nearly flush with each other, and the circular arrangement means they 'feel' the same no matter how they are rotated. A line of buttons allows you to count button 1, 2, 3 and 4.

I would rank ease of blind operation like this:

1) 3G lay-out with mechanical buttons (hypothetical)

2) Original lay-out

3) iPod mini

4) 3G lay-out with electro-static buttons

The iPod mini ranks third on my list because there's literally no separators for each function. You have to orient your iPod mini before you press the rocker/clicker.
  • Reply 40 of 104
    Quote:

You have to orient your iPod mini before you press the rocker/clicker.

that's how i imagine controlling all the iPods blindly, first orienting it in your hand then feel center button-up-down-left-right...i can't wait to test out the the new mini's rocker switch...