iPod mini, mass appeal or not?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    My local Apple Store said they received 200 units last Friday and more were due today.
  • Reply 82 of 104
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Kind of interesting regarding pricing issues. The best selling "mini" hard drive player has been the Rio Nitrus. Now... when that came out only about six or seven months ago... it was released at a price of $299. That was for a 1.5GB drive. Shortly after, the 20GB Rio Karma was released for $399... the prices on both have drastically dropped over the past months. The Nitrus can now be had in the $170 range... and the Karma in the $280 range. People will say... "Why spend $250 when for $300 you can get a 15GB player"... Someone could just as easily say (if we dare venture from the Apple lineup)... "Why spend $400 on a 20GB player (i.e. iPod) when you can get one of the same capacity for well over $100 less (i.e. Karma). And personal preferences aside, the Karma is as good a player as the iPod (and has some features not found in the Pod). You justify it in that you're not buying it to be "economical" (you don't buy a Ferrari if you're worried about how much you're going to spend on gas). There are considerations other than the cost per MB. The Karma happens to be my favorite high capacity player... and now, the Mini is by far my favorite mid-capacity player. The design is excellent, the "feel" is excellent, the audio is excellent, and, as with the original, the interface is excellent. If you want the coolest thing out there... ya pay for it... simple as that. If you're going to talk about the cost per MB, you shouldn't even be talking Apple... but rather something from Creative (Zen).
  • Reply 83 of 104
    The interface coupled with the deisgn is the reason why?, end of story.
  • Reply 84 of 104
    Somewhat on this subject, Sony has announced that the Aiwa MP3 mini Players they anounced a month or so ago with great fanfare are cancelled due to technical problems. Story here.
  • Reply 85 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Somewhat on this subject, Sony has announced that the Aiwa MP3 mini Players they anounced a month or so ago with great fanfare are cancelled due to technical problems. Story here.

• Reply 86 of 104
    I dont get why people get so worked up about FM tuners in their mp3 players. The music quality is bad, you dont get to listen to what you want, you have to listen to commercials, and you have to listen to people with annoying voices. Maybe its because Im from a small town in BC, but I just dont see the whole radio thing. Digital radio is ok, but its still nothing compared to what you have on your computer. Even when I am in Vancouver or Seattle or Portland, I still would rather listen to my mp3 player hooked up to my car speakers than whats on the radio. All I know is by April I will be treating myself to a brand new iPod mini. But hey, thats just my two cents.
  • Reply 87 of 104
    Hard to believe that 23 people or so think the iPod mini will be a flop.
  • Reply 88 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Hard to believe that 23 people or so think the iPod mini will be a flop.

Ya I know what you mean.
  • Reply 89 of 104
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I'm glad to see I'm still the only one that voted:

"No, the initial sales just show how dumb Mac users are".

My opinion has changed a little, but I still think that's the main reason.
  • Reply 90 of 104
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Mass appeal, sure. But I would not bet on any sales around here.

I look at Apple Store Finland and see the original iPod 15GB base model going for 350 euros (441$ with the current rate). The Finns' buying power is significantly less than Americans' ($25,800 to $37,600). If we took that into consideration, the "equivalent price" in the US would be about $640.

Not surprisingly, I have never met an iPod owner.
  • Reply 91 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

I'm glad to see I'm still the only one that voted:

"No, the initial sales just show how dumb Mac users are".

My opinion has changed a little, but I still think that's the main reason.

How sad.

Functionalist perspective vs the Conflict perspective, I guess.
  • Reply 92 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

How sad.

Functionalist perspective vs the Conflict perspective, I guess.

No, I still just find it stupid to pay $50 less for 11GB less storage, regardless of size.

I'll tell you what, Chris, I'll go to the Apple Store later or tomorrow and check them out for myself. Then we'll see.
  • Reply 93 of 104
    Please, let me know. I have one in my pocket...wait yeah its there. I love it.
  • Reply 94 of 104
    Quote:

No, I still just find it stupid to pay $50 less for 11GB less storage, regardless of size.

um unless youre like me and barely have over 1000 songs, 400 of which i hardly listen to more than once every couple weeks or so... i never plan on being away from my mac for more than about a day.

edit: i dont own a mini, but i want one
  • Reply 95 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

um unless youre like me and barely have over 1000 songs, 400 of which i hardly listen to more than once every couple weeks or so... i never plan on being away from my mac for more than about a day.

edit: i dont own a mini, but i want one

You could always use the storage for backup...

I'll go to the Apple Store tomorrow, I went to the gym tonight instead. Working out with my regular iPod was fine
  • Reply 96 of 104
    Quote:

You could always use the storage for backup...

I'll go to the Apple Store tomorrow, I went to the gym tonight instead. Working out with my regular iPod was fine

Wait til you hold it man, come now Eric.
  • Reply 97 of 104
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    The target for the mini is not for geeks like us who will use excess space for backup and so on. They don't care about tons and tons of space. They care about *some* space Gigs verus tens of gigs. And style. And size. And color.
  • Reply 98 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

The target for the mini is not for geeks like us who will use excess space for backup and so on. They don't care about tons and tons of space. They care about *some* space Gigs verus tens of gigs. And style. And size. And color.

This is true, but I must add another target for the mini...geeks who must have ANY gadget remotely cool as the mini
  • Reply 99 of 104
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

This is true, but I must add another target for the mini...geeks who must have ANY gadget remotely cool as the mini

Well, that goes without saying....

I just think our focus is myopic --- I never would have pegged my wife as an iPod-wanter, but the mini pulled her in on 20lb test line. 'Course it turned out that we got her a 10Gig 3rd Gen, but that never would have happened w/o the mini getting her interested. I think a lot of the pull/appeal/worth of the mini is the much more rectangular shape --- it sits in your (90% of all people's) hand perfectly, and your fingers on that hand can hit the buttons. "Big" (OK, it's relative, right?) iPods require two-handed operation, unless you are a wookie or something.
  • Reply 100 of 104
    Everybody's favorite Danika has some things to say about how the iPod mini is doing here.