Apple Hypes MWSF 2002

Comments

• Reply 481 of 1761
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Anyone think Apple realizes that people are still waiting for the Newton replacement they promised us in 1999? (No, the iBook does not count).
  • Reply 482 of 1761
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    They have to realize it, whether they plan to answer it is another story. Steve's statement to, i think Biz Week last year about no Apple PDA, scares me -- But I optimisically take that comment to mean "no apple pda ithat is just like all the others." Meaning the apple pda will be a pda plus... a pda that does things we didn't even know we wanted it to do.

NeilyB
  • Reply 483 of 1761
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    [quote]Originally posted by NeilyB:

<strong>Because I want a PDA that is as easy to synch as an iPod is.

I want one that reads my handwriting.

I want one that has a slightly bigger screen than my palm so i can feel comfortable using it as a notepad.

I want one that looks cool.

I want one that has more features than what Palm can give me...

Because I want one that is made as well as Apple can make one.

I can go on and on...</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK, all of that is cool, BUT, I don't think that it would qualify as revolutionary, or blow anybody away.
  • Reply 483 of 1761
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Anyone think Apple realizes that people are still waiting for the Newton replacement they promised us in 1999? (No, the iBook does not count).</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think so, I mean Steve has probably gotten tons of questions about it... How can they not know?

-Paul
  • Reply 485 of 1761
    [quote] OK, all of that is cool, BUT, I don't think that it would qualify as revolutionary, or blow anybody away. <hr></blockquote>

Well, we don't know what kind of special features it may have... what if it plays dvds? who knows?

You're right an Apple branded PDA just like the others wouldn't blow anyone away... but I'm confident that if Apple wanted to, they could make a PDA that WOULD blow us all away.

Fun.

NeilyB
  • Reply 486 of 1761
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    You can bet that if Apple released a PDA, they wouldn't just call it a PDA. Instead, they would make it sound as if they had just simultaneously invented the wheel, fire, and sliced bread.

Steve: "PDA? This isn't a PDA. Palms and PocketPCs are PDAs. This thing will have cities built around it! See? It hotsyncs via FireWire!"

After all, their MP3 player wasn't just 'an MP3 player', it was a 'Groundbreaking Digital Device' that they had to call a huge press conference just to unveil.

-robo
  • Reply 487 of 1761
    See, robo gets it
  • Reply 488 of 1761
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I hope the PDA, if Apple releases one is so different, that everyone has to have one. If it's like a freakin' Palm pilot Apple is going to be doomed. I like the idea of possibly having a 10-12 inch screen running a full version of OS X, with superb handwriting capabilities. That would rock.

On the other hardware front, I'd say from the hype combined with some of the articles on the subject, it would sound as though Apple was coming out with a 2.4 GHz G5 on Monday. While that would be great, I think at this point, the hype Apple has generated, they need to deliver at least a G5. Even a 933MHz G4 at the low-end PowerMac line would be a let down.

The iMac needs to rock, too. They need to give it a very crisp (minimum) 15" screen. And it can't be $1800, and running with a G3 processor. That simply, is unacceptable. It will sink like lead.

I actually can't wait for the day three til macworld slogan. The anticipation of what will come out is keeping me up nights with excitement. My credit card is getting sacred treatment now. I needs to be ready to work when Monday rolls around

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Dave Hagan ]</p>
  • Reply 489 of 1761
    LOOK AT THE PARALLEL --

Steve Jobs (many times in last year): "The G5 is the future of Apple Computer."

Apple Computer (03 jan 2002): "It's like a backstage pass to the future."

Translation: What will be presented on Jan. 7 will be "The Future", of Apple Computer, of the PC industry. That is, what will be presented is the G5.

KINS COLLINS
  • Reply 490 of 1761

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Kins C ]</p>
  • Reply 491 of 1761
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    time to start thinking about the new message we only have a half hour left
  • Reply 492 of 1761
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kins C:

<strong>LOOK AT THE PARALLEL --

Steve Jobs (many times in last year): "The G5 is the future of Apple Computer."

Apple Computer (03 jan 2002): "It's like a backstage pass to the future."

Translation: What will be presented on Jan. 7 will be "The Future", of Apple Computer, of the PC industry. That is, what will be presented is the G5.

KINS COLLINS</strong><hr></blockquote>

Steve said the G5 is the furture of Apple? Didn't know that.
  • Reply 493 of 1761
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

Steve said the G5 is the furture of Apple? Didn't know that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

MOSR has 'quoted' that a while ago....
  • Reply 494 of 1761
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>

MOSR has 'quoted' that a while ago....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, MOSR? Does that mean it's reliable?
  • Reply 495 of 1761
    I remember it from more than one website...
  • Reply 496 of 1761
    Really? And he said "future"?

'A backstage pass to the future' is starting to give me goose bumps now.
  • Reply 497 of 1761
    dope. Apple is supreme!!!! they are going to take over the industry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 498 of 1761
    Regarding the Apple PDA...Something I would like to see, but have little hope for. It would not be that much of a stretch to make a small newton-sized device that went beyond any normal PDA.

Here's how it would be built (cheaply):

Power sipping embedded G3 cpu on a biscuit PC sized board with 50-66mhz bus with CPU running at 300-500mhz

(measuring say 5"x8" inches or less...or maybe even an embedded PC104 sized board 3.5"x3.5")

Sodered 256 Megs of Ram

integrated 802.11 chipset(which Lucent offers)

integrated sound (out only...name a generic vendor)

basic ATI 2 meg video chipset

iPod styled PC Card Hard Drive, 5 GB

Firewire and USB controllers (1 port each...possibly requiring a Dongle due to small size)

800x600LCD TFT Color touchscreen (size depends on form factor: PDA or Tablet?)

Lithium Ion Battery

Sells for $600

AND....drum roll please

Could actually run a full blown OS X!

THIS IS POSSIBLE

and relatively speaking, not that hard to implement based upon the fact that the G3 processor design is perfect for embedded uses.

If I had access to all the parts, and enough EE training to design the embedded MOBO, I'd hack one together myself. The parts aren't that expensive...I've looked into it on the PC side and OEM wise...its CHEAP to produce
  • Reply 499 of 1761
    first back to the future references....... now star trek references ?????

"To go where no Pc has gone before ? "

what will be up next ?

" join the dark side... togheter we will rule the galaxy as jobs and macuser "

??
  • Reply 500 of 1761
    OH SHIT!!!

G5 at 2.4ghz!!!