New iMac's in Sept - **CONFIRMED**

Comments

• Reply 81 of 302
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    This is all very interesting. Apple's becoming very unpredictable lately!

Here's a theory. Maybe they aren't announcing them and taking pre-orders now because if schools DID have an opportunity to order them now, Apple knows they wouldn't be able to meet demand, and all these schools who would be expecting their new iMacs to arrive in September would be sorely disappointed and empty-handed (something Apple's done to schools all too often, I'm sure). Simply not offering an iMac at this time assures that schools will purchase iBooks and eMacs instead, which Apple can most certainly deliver before the new school year starts.

And thank goodness Apple isn't offering the current iMac at this time for education buyers - our government wastes enough money as it is without teachers having the opportunity to purchase overpriced, underpowered $1,300-$2,200 computers with their school budgets. The eMac is identical to the iMac on the inside - the only difference is a kid can't accidentally poke his pencil or finger through the eMac display.

On a side note regarding the new iMacs, I think the new displays announced last week definitely hint at the possibility that Apple's display line-up will double as the head's of the iMac's, allowing iMac users to remove their display when their iMac itself becomes outdated. It's certainly a a possibility, and I think it's necessary if Apple wants to continue selling consumer-level desktops that use $1,300 displays. And of course, offer them without a display to appease the headless crowd.
  • Reply 82 of 302
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

Now while I believe the G5 will be the most likely processor, there's still a nagging little voice saying, "It's still too early.".

Actually, it's about 6 months too late.
  • Reply 83 of 302
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Let me make a start with the processor. While the G5 is the most likely, we cannot exclude the possibility for something from Freescale. What do you think?

That's a possibility, for sure. However, Freescale is a whole new company, I don't know if they are ready to output chips yet, and I would seem unbelievable if Apple had planned to ship a product based on a Freescale chip without Freescale having any record, productionwise (no CPU issued yet), let alone the fact that Freescale is a Motorola spinoff, so Apple should not believe in their roadmaps too much...

G5 shortages? Not sure... if so, they would have presented the iMac at the WWDC. So what? Maybe the design (internal or external design) is not flawless. Imagine that Steve presented an iMac this week, saying "shipping in September", but for some reason (cooling for example), the design of the enclosure must be changed between now and September... oops!
  • Reply 84 of 302
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

I would not be so quick to assume that the new iMacs are G5s. Now while I believe the G5 will be the most likely processor, there's still a nagging little voice saying, "It's still too early.".

Apple has already gone on record (and very recently I might add) saying how difficult it is get a G5 into a smaller form factor. So don't be too surprised if the iMac stays with the G4 until sometime next year.

Just my 2 bits,

C.

I respect your opinion. Will apple be stopping a whole consumer product for a speed bumped G4? Where is the sense in that? I am tired of people saying pro(powerbook) before consumer(imac,ibook, and emac). Apple will put a G5 in a computer when it is ready to be shipped.
  • Reply 85 of 302
    Hi folks, Bennet Brower here.

Thought the big wigs at Apple had "shut me down" did you? Well, ol' Bennet is gonna get the "last laugh" tonight. It's true that Apple did not "plan properly" or "know that they would run out of iMacs" or even "ever think that this could possibly happen." But...It did and well now Apple is in "some kind of a predicament." Phil Schiller does not "bathe" or "wear deoderant" he also "does not know how to have sex with a woman."

In any case, the iMac is going to be "marketed" a lot before its "release." Get ready for the greatest computer ever...I'm flying, I'm flying!

God I love when Chris Farley pops up every now and again to give his input about the state of the Macintosh.
  • Reply 86 of 302
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 3.1416

Actually, it's about 6 months too late.

Have you ever wrapped your head up in duct tape?
  • Reply 87 of 302
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I'm concerned about the way this was announced, though. "We have a new iMac coming in two months..." If Apple starts doing things like that, why, next thing you know, they'll be publishing roadmaps of future machines. We'll know months in advance when faster processors are coming out. We'll know all about forthcoming graphics cards, optical drives, PCI Express slots, and so on.

It'll take all the fun out of the rumor scene. If someone offers a red motherboard on eBay, nobody will even care. Apple will become just like Dull. Oh sure, the corporate computer sales will start rolling in, Apple will sell boatloads of machines and make gobs of money, but where's the fun in that?
  • Reply 88 of 302
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Odedh

it makes perfect sense, Apple learned from the mistake of the Flat Panel iMac, when they announced it, and the models were only rolled between 2-3 monthes later, the fact that people had to wait so long to get one, killed the buzz, the iMac isn't like the iPod when you're out of stock it's a good thing and customers have to wait 2-3 monthes to get one. The iPod is the must have gadget, so with the mini people were willing to wait. the iMac no matter how cool it is people won't wait two monthes for delivery after ordering it, the iMac is still a computer, no matter how cool it is

This is killing the buzz before it's even revealed.

The end result is that there is no consumer desktop available for order with Apple. At least if there were pre-orders available, then Apple could forecast demand for the new units.
  • Reply 89 of 302
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

This is killing the buzz before it's even revealed.

The end result is that there is no consumer desktop available for order with Apple. At least if there were pre-orders available, then Apple could forecast demand for the new units.

Really don't think they INTENTIONALLY made this! Definitely, Jobs wanted to showcase the new iMac at WWDC, but something has happened in the process of making the new iMac. Definitely not shortages, or else, they'd be taking preorders from now.

So why? I don't know : Apple wanting to move to Freescale and Freescale screwing up, forcing Apple to redesign the whole mobo? Not likely... Cooling problems? Why not... Apple wanting to introduce OLED displays with the new iMac, but something went wrong in the manufacturing process of those puppies? Why not... Enclosure problems (remember the Cube cracks?)... I vote for this one!
  • Reply 90 of 302
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I really like the "new international shipping procedures just went into effect" theory. But from what I've read it's all green lights so far (however that was leaving China - not necessarily arrival in the US).
  • Reply 91 of 302
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Have you ever wrapped your head up in duct tape?

Er, no. Am I missing something?
  • Reply 92 of 302
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 3.1416

Er, no. Am I missing something?

Zealotry.
  • Reply 93 of 302
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire:

I respect your opinion. Will apple be stopping a whole consumer product for a speed bumped G4? Where is the sense in that? I am tired of people saying pro(powerbook) before consumer(imac,ibook, and emac). Apple will put a G5 in a computer when it is ready to be shipped.

All I'm saying is that it would be prudent to curb expectations here a little. I really hope it is a G5 (and I think the odds are in it's favor) but you have to try and think like a big corporation. There's a lot of reasons why they might revamp the line but stick with a G4 for now. It could be that with the amount of cooling a G5 requires would mean the iMac would be noisier than they'd like. Perhaps they want to introduce the new iMac at a very competitive price and the G4 might let them get in at the price point they want.

Clearly, they need to refresh the stagnating line to generate some enthusiasm again with the iMac - but there are other ways to do that than just sticking a G5 into it. Headless, expandable, cool form-factor or just some gee-whiz addon (who knows..?) to grab the consumer's attention. Will they go Freescale? Perhaps, who knows.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 94 of 302
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    I wonder why Apple doesn't reveal the specs? If there are no iMac sales to be cannibalized, then there should be nothing to lose. In fact, they could take pre-orders so that they can add more sales to the current quarter.

I could only think of two possible reasons: 1) There was a huge problem in manufacturing that some components need to be changed. Hence the specs are not complete yet. 2) The iMac is such a great value that it might cannibalize sales of another model (either the eMac or PowerMac). Which means either that new iMac would be significantly cheaper to hurt eMac sales or significantly more powerful which might hurt PowerMac sales. Judging by the way they priced the new cinema displays, I doubt that it became cheaper. My conclusion: It has to be the iMac G5.
  • Reply 95 of 302
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

I wonder why Apple doesn't reveal the specs? If there are no iMac sales to be cannibalized, then there should be nothing to lose. In fact, they could take pre-orders so that they can add more sales to the current quarter.

I could only think of two possible reasons: 1) There was a huge problem in manufacturing that some components need to be changed. Hence the specs are not complete yet. 2) The iMac is such a great value that it might cannibalize sales of another model (either the eMac or PowerMac). Which means either that new iMac would be significantly cheaper to hurt eMac sales or significantly more powerful which might hurt PowerMac sales. Judging by the way they priced the new cinema displays, I doubt that it became cheaper. My conclusion: It has to be the iMac G5.

Brilliant post! I completely agree!
  • Reply 96 of 302
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

I think an explanation was in order for iMac inventory being so low and there being no new models yet. That's the main reason for Thursday's announcement.

As you say, specs may not be finalized yet or if the specs sounded too good, people might put off buying iBooks and eMacs for the next two months, making Apple's problem worse than it is.
  • Reply 97 of 302
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

As you say, specs may not be finalized yet, people might put off buying iBooks and eMacs for the next two months...

That was my main question. If Apple does not have it's specs finalized yet, can they still get the iMac ready in time for September? (I have no clue about these production-type of situations.)

IMO, if Apple is confident that the iMac will be ready for September, I assume that the production should have started already (which is confirmed by ThinkSecret). That leaves me with choice #2: the iMac is a much better value. Since making it cheaper doesn't seem to be a choice for Apple nowadays, I say it's more powerful. And since the G4 seems to have maxed out at 1.5, it has to be a G5 (or a surprise Freescale, but G5 is more likely). Apple itself has said the iMac will be "all-new". I doubt that we will see another G4 iMac.

G5 iMacs with new form-factor in September.
  • Reply 98 of 302
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    My hopeful guess as to the iMac delay is that Apple didn't want to settle for a 1.6 or 1.8 Ghz processor in the new iMac. Since XServes and Power Macs use as many 2.0 (and above) G5s as IBM has been able to produce, Apple simply has to wait for more processors.
  • Reply 99 of 302
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

My hopeful guess as to the iMac delay is that Apple didn't want to settle for a 1.6 or 1.8 Ghz processor in the new iMac. Since XServes and Power Macs use as many 2.0 (and above) G5s as IBM has been able to produce, Apple simply has to wait for more processors.

A 2.0GHz G5 in an iMac while the bottom of the line Powermac is 1.8GHz (ok, dual, but still...)? Sounds pretty un-Apple, but why not!
  • Reply 100 of 302
    Whatever Apple Comes out with I think it will be Silver (all in one) with a G5. Low end G5 of course. 17inch at the low end and a 20 inch LCD at the High end. Better Speakers, a ipod plug in without the cables,wireless keyboard and mouse (maybe)Same prices (no way)