New iMac's in Sept - **CONFIRMED**

Comments

• Reply 121 of 302
    odedhodedh Posts: 53member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Grey

According to Peter Cohen over at MacCentral "...Apple has been very clear that a G5 iMac won't appear before the end of the year at the soonest."

Now I recall Apple remarking that it would be a while before they could put a G5 in a Powerbook, but I don't remember anything about the iMac. Still, Cohen should know since he follows this for a living, right?

\

What Apple has said that they would have had problem putting a G5 in the current iMac design, and as we all now the current design is dead, so Peter Cohen is pushing the wrong way with this one
  • Reply 122 of 302
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

I wonder why Apple doesn't reveal the specs? If there are no iMac sales to be cannibalized, then there should be nothing to lose. In fact, they could take pre-orders so that they can add more sales to the current quarter.

I could only think of two possible reasons: 1) There was a huge problem in manufacturing that some components need to be changed. Hence the specs are not complete yet. 2) The iMac is such a great value that it might cannibalize sales of another model (either the eMac or PowerMac). Which means either that new iMac would be significantly cheaper to hurt eMac sales or significantly more powerful which might hurt PowerMac sales. Judging by the way they priced the new cinema displays, I doubt that it became cheaper. My conclusion: It has to be the iMac G5.

3) Apple is not allowed to announce specs because it contains an unannounced product from a supplier (eg, an NVidia PCIe part, OLED display technology, etc...)
  • Reply 123 of 302
    While Boger didn't give a timeframe for an iMac G5, he did say the company faced similar challenges getting a G5 to work with their consumer desktop.

"It's the same story -- the challenges are obvious when you look at the G5 and the size of the heatsinks and the enclosure; that would be a heck of a challenge as well."

Both future and past tense were used here so it's anybody's guess.
  • Reply 124 of 302
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Thats the only thing I can think of if it is indeed called Decor

Unless it's a super-flat machine you can hang on a wall... I know I read that rumor somewhere around here. Say it were designed from the ground up with wireless connectivity in mind. AirPort and Bluetooth built in, comes standad with wireless peripherals (and maybe an AirPort Express), so the only wire to worry about is a power cord.

Why anyone would want to hang a PC on the wall is a mystery to me. You still have to sit in front of the thing to use it most of the time.
  • Reply 125 of 302
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Remember Steve's Spotlight demo at WWDC? He typed in these key words:

Paris

G5

iMac

(I think)

Hmmmm..

I think he typed iMac Paris and Birthday in that order
  • Reply 126 of 302
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    I don't think "Decor" means anything except that this machine will look good. I also think it is extremely likely to be an AIO single processor 970FX machine, and will take advantage of the PowerTune features in that processor (unlike the 2.5 GHz PowerMac). The GPU will be equipped with pixel & vertex shaders to take advantage of Apple's new GPU-based technologies, but I would be very surprised if it used PCIe -- AGP 8x is my guess, but this is a potent combination no matter how much whining we hear about it not using the latest top-of-the-line GPU (those are too hot, too expensive, draw too much power, and the improvement is too small to warrant in a consumer machine).

Apple's troubles this year all seem to boil down to IBM's problems getting the 970FX's 90nm production into full swing. Only 1 of 3 PowerMac models uses it (and that one isn't available for a while), and Xserve's low production levels have only recently been reached. It seems pretty clear that Apple bet the farm on IBM's 90nm process and has been stumbling badly as a result. Considering they would have had to make that bet a year ago based on the early success IBM was having, and set their supply contracts to last 6 months past when the 90nm was supposed to become available (i.e. until now), their current problems don't strike me as a result of mismanagement.

That they are willing to make this announcement says to me that back in April/May IBM started to have enough success that Apple felt it was better to suffer through the wait rather than renew supply contracts to do another run of iMac2s to meet the rather weak demand for them. We know that the Xserve supply has been improving dramatically, so the parts are being made and its just a matter of time to ramp it up to iMac3 demand levels. If Apple feels it has a strong design and there is a lot of pent up demand for it, then they are going to need plenty of stock for the initial surge of orders.
  • Reply 127 of 302
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

Unless it's a super-flat machine you can hang on a wall...

Will someone please explain this to me? Why do you want to hang a computer on the wall? It seems to me that this is just one of those "neato" things that no one would really do. I know for my arrangement (at home)...this would not work. At the office it might...but I'm curious as to why I would.
  • Reply 128 of 302
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

Unless it's a super-flat machine you can hang on a wall... I know I read that rumor somewhere around here. Say it were designed from the ground up with wireless connectivity in mind. AirPort and Bluetooth built in, comes standad with wireless peripherals (and maybe an AirPort Express), so the only wire to worry about is a power cord.

Why anyone would want to hang a PC on the wall is a mystery to me. You still have to sit in front of the thing to use it most of the time.

Think of the vesa mount for the new displays. The new pizza box iMac could come with a stand for desktop display or use the vesa mount to hang on the wall.

maybe the display folds into the box and you can hang it using the mount OR open the fold to put it on your desk like a tent OR fold it back and use it like a tablet.
  • Reply 129 of 302
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    The Register's Tony Smith seems to think it is new marketing ploy to add extra 'buzz' to the marketing of the new machine. This suggests a radical new form factor to me.

I think the whole 'flat mac' concept is a goer. AIO 17" LCD with a G5 motherboard slapped on the back. VESA style mounting so you can stick it the wall or the desktop stand of your choice. Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse...touchscreen even? Apple doesn't want to sell you an iMac for the dining room table but for the kitchen, bedroom and living room as well!

Slot-in TV tuners for cable, satellite, digital free-to-air, US , Yurp etc?

Toaster slot in the top? Liquid cooled G5 also makes tea?

(OK I'll lie down now...)
  • Reply 130 of 302
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Will someone please explain this to me? Why do you want to hang a computer on the wall? It seems to me that this is just one of those "neato" things that no one would really do. I know for my arrangement (at home)...this would not work. At the office it might...but I'm curious as to why I would.

Well there could be several reasons.

a) free up more deskspace.

b) work from anywhere

c) maybe it is headless and a flat machine is easier to store than a tower. Maybe it's capable of wireless video.

d) maybe the display can be used as a tv too.

e) makes gaming more comfortable
  • Reply 131 of 302
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

Well there could be several reasons.

a) free up more deskspace.

b) work from anywhere

c) maybe it is headless and a flat machine is easier to store than a tower. Maybe it's capable of wireless video.

d) maybe the display can be used as a tv too.

e) makes gaming more comfortable

a) Okay. Maybe. But flat screen gets you 80% of the way there me-thinks.

b) How does this figure in? Isn't that what laptops are for?

c) Wireless make some sense and seems to be a requirement for wall-hanging (I don't want a bunch 'o ugly cables hanging down my wall!)

d) This starts to get more interesting. But still seems unlikely. Now my computer (display at least) is in my living room?

e) Game console + TV.
  • Reply 132 of 302
    I had to register to give my to cent...

I've been following the iMac rumors for some times now, and I can't help but wonder... If the iMac stays as a AIO computer, how will the eMac evolve ???

Don't you think that somtimes next year, the eMac will adopt a flat screen ?

So... what will then be the difference betwen an iMac and and an eMac ?

On the other hand, I believe Steve understood the importance of wireless technology but having a wireless mouse and a keyboard is not going to make your computer more mobile if the screen has to stay on your desk or your wall like some do believe. Don't you want to surf internet from your sofa, control your hifi from your bed etc... Of course some tasks need to be done when sitting at your desk...do they ?

Well then I like the concept (seen elsewhere) of having the main unit sitting on your desk while your screen (or one of them) behave like a big remote control or wireless tablet connected to everything that is airport plugged.

Is the technology ready ???

I sure don't know

But imagine a 12.1 inch screen or maybe smaller of 1024 x 768 px. on which you can browse internet, read your mail, control itune, watch and show album pictures... etc.

I Know I can do all that with an ibook but the portable is to go out of your home. while the iMac is home based.

So I hope more than i believe that the new iMac has to be sold with a wireless screen that you can doc and recharge when not in use.

And you can always connect that old screen that you keep at home to connect to the imac main unit for your desk work.

Am I just a dreamer ;-) will see ...

Peace
  • Reply 133 of 302
    I am kind of hoping for a re-born cube for the iMac. More properly priced of course.
  • Reply 134 of 302
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

I am kind of hoping for a re-born cube for the iMac. More properly priced of course.

gets my vote, with of course a standard size AGP 8x card though.

ps. and I think you and I are not alone with this desire.
  • Reply 135 of 302
    odedhodedh Posts: 53member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

Sign me up
  • Reply 136 of 302
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

I don't think "Decor" means anything except that this machine will look good. I also think it is extremely likely to be an AIO single processor 970FX machine, and will take advantage of the PowerTune features in that processor (unlike the 2.5 GHz PowerMac). The GPU will be equipped with pixel & vertex shaders to take advantage of Apple's new GPU-based technologies, but I would be very surprised if it used PCIe -- AGP 8x is my guess, but this is a potent combination no matter how much whining we hear about it not using the latest top-of-the-line GPU (those are too hot, too expensive, draw too much power, and the improvement is too small to warrant in a consumer machine).

Apple's troubles this year all seem to boil down to IBM's problems getting the 970FX's 90nm production into full swing. Only 1 of 3 PowerMac models uses it (and that one isn't available for a while), and Xserve's low production levels have only recently been reached. It seems pretty clear that Apple bet the farm on IBM's 90nm process and has been stumbling badly as a result. Considering they would have had to make that bet a year ago based on the early success IBM was having, and set their supply contracts to last 6 months past when the 90nm was supposed to become available (i.e. until now), their current problems don't strike me as a result of mismanagement.

That they are willing to make this announcement says to me that back in April/May IBM started to have enough success that Apple felt it was better to suffer through the wait rather than renew supply contracts to do another run of iMac2s to meet the rather weak demand for them. We know that the Xserve supply has been improving dramatically, so the parts are being made and its just a matter of time to ramp it up to iMac3 demand levels. If Apple feels it has a strong design and there is a lot of pent up demand for it, then they are going to need plenty of stock for the initial surge of orders.

1. It could argued that PowerTune features are already in the 2.5GHz PowerMac G5 and that is why they necessitate the need for liquid coolling. Going from idle at ~1 W to 70 W in a few microseconds is a lot of stress on the processor.

2. PCIe is going mainstream, with or without Apple. It is obvious Tiger technologies to the GPU need as much bidirectional bandwidth as possible. Also keep in mind that this "all-new" iMac redesign will be Apple's iMac for the next 2+ years. No machine in 2+ years will be using AGP. I believe Apple will implement PCIe in the iMac because of these facts.

3. Apple is not blaming IBM. It is blaming itself. Go read the statement again.
  • Reply 137 of 302
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    It's NEW COKE.

That's my guess.

The announcement by Apple, while certainly honest and caused by a surprising delay of some kind, is MARKETING and intentionally designed to stir up conjecture and hype prior to unveiling the design in Paris. Apple has something BIG planned for this product lineup, which is the reason for the unforeseen delay AND the decision to 'come-clean' now.

It seems fairly obvious given the evidence, that Apple planned on introducing the new iMacs until a few days before the WWDC, then had to pull it at the last minute. They met, and agreed to do it in Paris (which is why Steve dropped the hints while showing off Spotlight). Then, they regrouped after WWDC and heard the complaints that the iMac hadn't been updated and knew they had to act.

Stay quiet? That would be the usual way of doing things and certainly wouldn't hurt. But, with anticipation built up for the new design, why not capitalize and create a frenzy of interest leading up to September. Break with convention and post an apology...get people talking. Then, on August 31st, unveil a HUGE surprise 20th anniversary Mac.

I expect more than a new form factor and perhaps a G5; I expect an entirely different approach to the 'PC' concept.

It'll be fun to see if anything leaks out over the next 2 months.
  • Reply 138 of 302
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    i can't believe this... *omg* this would mean a quarter with missing iMacs - these are usually sales between $200 and $250 million

not good for stockholders...
  • Reply 139 of 302
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

Ugh... so its waiting to see what the iMac could be huh. Betting heavily against odds that it won't be an AIO. Guess the major Cube upgrade I had planned should wait. Running Photoshop at 450MHz (when your other machine is 1.3GHz) is a pain.
  • Reply 140 of 302
    foamyfoamy Posts: 55member
    So the big question is at what price should I put in a Buy Order for AAPL?

I think that by the conference call on the 14th we'll probably have hit a pretty good low, but there could be some major fireworks during the call that could cause AAPL to plummet.

What's your target buy price considering the iMac fiasco?