New Products

Comments

• Reply 41 of 134
    I'm just glad to have an audio input again.
  • Reply 42 of 134
    Does any have Euro price info? Apple Store Finland isn't open.
  • Reply 43 of 134
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>PowerMac Extreme!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL, I think you're right, sadly.

I like PowerMac 970, but that's just me.

Or maybe it'll just be called the "Power Macintosh (Brushed Aluminium)"

Hmm.

Xserve looks stupid now. But apparently I'm the only one who cares. That's OK, the dual 1.42 is mighty cheap, and should start being available right when I need it to be.

And I can put a few nice SCSI drives in it. All starting to come together now...

Alex
  • Reply 44 of 134
    too bad they didn't update the display enclosures ...

i guess i'll be waiting another year for my display
  • Reply 45 of 134

Oh boy
  • Reply 45 of 134
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Wow. We've seen decent price cuts on iBooks, PowerBooks, PowerMacs, and displays in the last few months now.

Will this trend continue?

I really like that the Power Macs are now at $1500, $2000, and $2500 (without super drive). That is an important improvement, IMO, to stop scaring people off so easily.

Two disappointing things:

No AGP 8x yet.

Still using 7455 processors.

I would have liked to see them using a 7457 with a 200Mhz bus and 512k L2 cache. I'm sure that would bring a measureable performance increase. They really don't want to be pushing that 166Mhz bus too much higher...

I would guess that there will be one more PM update, unless the 7457 was canned. It will probably happen around May or June unless the 970 is ahead of schedule.
  • Reply 47 of 134
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Hmm, let's see how the PowerMac is increasing in speed over the years:

1420 early 2003

1000 early 2002

733 early 2001

500 early 2000

400 early 1999

So the performance gains have gone...

42% for 02-03

36% for 01-02

47% for 00-01

25% :eek: for 99-00

Looks like this was a good year. Another 40% gain would mean 2 GHz by early next year, and 1.7 GHz by this summer.

I sure hope the iMac gets updated, that makes 3 PowerMac updates since the iMac release.

I can just see it... a little sign that says "___ major product updates without a new iMac" and the number there just got changed from six to seven.
  • Reply 48 of 134
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    The price cuts on the monitors are great. $1999 for the 23" HD is amazing. My only complaint is that the $1499 GHz model should be cheaper.
  • Reply 49 of 134
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    RADEON 9700 PRO BTO!!!!!

nuf said
  • Reply 49 of 134
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>The price cuts on the monitors are great. $1999 for the 23" HD is amazing. My only complaint is that the $1499 GHz model should be cheaper.</strong><hr></blockquote>

exactly. If it's not going to be dual, it should something like 1299.

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: Flounder ]</p>
  • Reply 51 of 134
    powerpcpowerpc Posts: 109member
    why are people saying that these are the cheapest PM's ever? PM's USED to start at 1,499 way back when....remember?!?

oh well, at least the PM's are out of the sub-GHz Territory now. (finally)
  • Reply 52 of 134
    The Ultime Model is a rip off....it costs $1100 more than the fastest model and all you get is more RAM and a Geforce 4 Ti

other than that, I'm stoked, cause now I can justify getting one
  • Reply 53 of 134
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Anyone find it curious that the pages on the PowerMacs don't mention only OS X booting?

It's odd that <a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86209"; target="_blank">this KBase document</a>, just released today, doesn't mention them.
  • Reply 54 of 134
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    So the 7455 finally made it to 1.4 GHz -- that's what rumours were saying last year. That's good news for the eventual arrival of the 7457 because it will be able to push even higher.

The Radeon 9700 finally arrives on the Mac! Yahoo! I can't wait to get my grubby little mitts on one of those monsters.

So: entry price has been lowered, performance has been bumped, FireWire800, BlueTooth, DDR333 (still, except in the slowest machine), noise problems "corrected". Pretty much exactly what I expected for an evolutionary step. Still on track for the mid or late year revolution.
  • Reply 55 of 134
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>

They state 2 on the tower, 2 on the keyboard. Kind of sneaky but what do you expect? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Why is it sneaky? Why does everyone get like this?! It says 4 USB connections and it HAS 4 of them. The two on the keyboard are very easy to access and if you get an Apple display, you get two more on that! Sheesh!
  • Reply 56 of 134
    I just noticed something. When you go to the Apple Store and configure one of the new Towers, it has a picture of the white Pro Keyboard. Does this mean all Macs come with the white keyboards now?
  • Reply 57 of 134
    [quote]Originally posted by Hobbes:

<strong>Anyone find it curious that the pages on the PowerMacs don't mention only OS X booting?

It's odd that <a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86209"; target="_blank">this KBase document</a>, just released today, doesn't mention them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do any of the Powerbook pages mention only OS X booting?
  • Reply 57 of 134
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by rogue27:

<strong>No AGP 8x yet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not too big a deal. AGP 8x breaks compatibility with older cards while nothing out there right now takes advantage of of AGP 8x (3.0.) A couple of those enthusiast sites did tests with the GeForce Ti 4200 4x and 8x versions and there was basically no difference.
  • Reply 59 of 134
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Do any of the Powerbook pages mention only OS X booting?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why that's true. I had thought they had, but you're right. They don't.

Never mind -- probably the KB article will be updated later today.

Glad to see Apple isn't backpeddling.
  • Reply 60 of 134
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    If you go through the store to buy a PowerMac, there's a little box above the new towers saying "OS9 systems". Looks like the old dual 1.25 is what you'll have to get.