Mac OS X 10.4 build 8A414 surfaces

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    My new 300GB boot HDD has been in the box for ages waiting for Tiger (I couldn't be bothered to re-install panther on a new drive)...

Can't wait for Tiger...
  • Reply 22 of 127
    Tiger will be stable for at least 98% of the people. The bugs that come from the 2% will mostly be stuff that they would not catch if they kept it in beta for another 2 months. Apple has already gotten all the issues from the beta testers, and they will have them fixed before release. By releasing it to the public they will be able to find even more obscure bugs, and continue refining Tiger at a fast pace.
  • Reply 23 of 127
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    sounds like they are rushing it.

i hope all the reports are wrong and they wait another few months
  • Reply 24 of 127
    Any screenshots emerging yet?

Andrew
  • Reply 25 of 127
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    I think I'll wait until 10.4.1 or maybe even 10.4.4

Screed
  • Reply 26 of 127
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    I just hope the mail.app team got some sense knocked into them and they decided to ditch that horrible new appearance for the current HIGs.
  • Reply 27 of 127
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    It's not being rushed. They were done with all the features before Macworld this year. It's very stable. It's easily more stable than 10.3.8 if not the same. Smoothier too.

Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

sounds like they are rushing it.

i hope all the reports are wrong and they wait another few months

• Reply 28 of 127
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Screed

congratulations. any reason why? i personally am gonna buy it right away then wait a few weeks. if nothing major surfaces right away then there's no reason to wait. if anything it just gets you less time of ownership for your money. (assuming you'll buy 10.5)
  • Reply 29 of 127
    My current install of 10.3.x has a few problems, frequent kernel panics from firewire devices and my digicam refusing to mount...

I'm really looking forward to Tiger...
  • Reply 30 of 127
    j@ffaj@ffa Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

I just hope the mail.app team got some sense knocked into them and they decided to ditch that horrible new appearance for the current HIGs.

Like so.
  • Reply 31 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by J@ffa

Like so.

Yeah, I really don't like that.

I don't even know why Apple bothers with publishing an HIG anymore. They are following Microsoft with the marketing gimmick of changing the appearance of everything with a new software version.
  • Reply 32 of 127
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    I'm sorry to disagree but it isn't a gimmick!

They have simply made it easier to use. It is an operating system overhaul after all. It's an easier interface plus it fits in with the 10.4 look, what the problem?

I forgot to say, I can understand you not liking it because of personal preference but I don't think you can reference Microsoft and say they changed it as a gimmick.
  • Reply 33 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dazabrit

I'm sorry to disagree but it isn't a gimmick!

They have simply made it easier to use. It is an operating system overhaul after all. It's an easier interface plus it fits in with the 10.4 look, what the problem?

How does the new look of the toolbars make them any more usable than the current look which has existed since 10.0?

And the toolbar items in that screenshot aren't even left aligned. What the heck is going on with the interface guidelines?

edit: and by looking at the screenshot, mail isn't even being consistent with the rest of the changes made in Tiger (going by all the other screenshot I've seen).
  • Reply 34 of 127
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    FWIW, I've mentioned here that I'm beta testing a third party app to run on Tiger, and the developer didn't bother to send me the previously released build of Tiger because it was so problemmatic. Well, this new build is apparently a quantum leap in terms of its quality, and I will be receiving it. So while this good news isn't indicative of an imminent release date, it's not as incongruous to put the April release rumor out there with this current build as it was when the really buggy one was the latest and greatest. BTW, developers are in the dark about a release date as much as Joe Fanboi.
  • Reply 35 of 127
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

Apple said 1H2005

WWDC June 6-10 is 1H2005

I hope that you were agreeing with me, because that's what I said.
  • Reply 36 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

I've tested everything. E-V-E-R-Y-T-T-H-I-N-G. Nearly everything. seriously , no joke. Apple has done the same.

Of course you have. Everything.

I can guarantee you that even Apple hasn't tested everything.

I've been testing Photoshop for Adobe since version 1.0.3, and I know it about as well as anyone, but when it is finalized, there are always some things that surprise me. The forms that I have to fill out each week take plenty of time because there is so much being asked to comment over.

Adobe takes a whole year to test the program. It's remarkably bug free and stable because of that.

A modern OS is maybe 50 times as complex and has about 100 times as much code. It's also required to interact with hardware in ways that a program like Photoshop, as complex as it is, will never have to do.

How much time should the testing stage occupy?
  • Reply 37 of 127
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    As long as necessary to make it usable and the appearance of error-free for most users.

Every software product has bugs, even if you don't see them.

Remember, if your software works, it just means you have an even number of negation errors.
  • Reply 38 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

Tiger will be stable for at least 98% of the people. The bugs that come from the 2% will mostly be stuff that they would not catch if they kept it in beta for another 2 months. Apple has already gotten all the issues from the beta testers, and they will have them fixed before release. By releasing it to the public they will be able to find even more obscure bugs, and continue refining Tiger at a fast pace.

Don't be so certain of that. The 8 updates to 10.2 and the 9 to 10.3 say otherwise.

I wouldn't call the Firewire problems minor. They certainly should have caught that. No excuse there. So many were caught out on that one alone.

It goes to show that they DON'T think to test everything. That was pretty obvious.
  • Reply 39 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Screed

Well, I'll put it on one of my "safe" machines to try it out, if indeed it is coming out in April. I would do that even if it came out in June.
  • Reply 40 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

It's not being rushed. They were done with all the features before Macworld this year. It's very stable. It's easily more stable than 10.3.8 if not the same. Smoothier too.

I don't know. Last I heard, they were still adding things in January. Nothing major though.