Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

Comments

• Reply 1501 of 2106
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac

Believe it or not, people are buying a lot more HD-DVD movies than the BD and that is that. This is how VHS won. . . people keep on buying VHS over Beta. . .

If this thread is still going in six months, I may quote you again on this.
  • Reply 1502 of 2106
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak

Well, according to the four game distributors I have accounts with, I have a pretty good chance of getting some units in the second shipment, although the first shipment was all spoken for.

That's a good news... I may need to find one for myself for the holidays.
  • Reply 1503 of 2106
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Well... it didn't take long for xbox360 HD-DVD add on to take 1st place of the gaming category over Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-HD-DV...8&s=videogames

This definitely proves that xbox360 is effective source of expanding HD-DVD market which will come sooner and will solely support HD-DVD Movie sales....... Also, the HD-DVD add on will only cost $200 to commit to the new format for existing 10 million xbox360 owners where BD will require at least $499/599 to join the Hi-Def Movie market, if anyone will be lucky enough to get one by the year end........

Anyway, long story short, xbox 360 will be as effective to support HD-DVD movie format as much as PS3 will to BD-DVD format market.

i wish they bundled V for Vendetta instead of having it as just a special, i loved that movie.

i hope you guys are able to get your ps3's, so then i can laugh at you when the bluray doesn't work j/k,jk

but honestly if they are worried to even hit their initial 400k i dont see how venders are saying it wont be that hard to get one
  • Reply 1504 of 2106
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member

More Xbox 360 systems are showing up on the local Craig's List here, 74 of them. I wonder what that could possibly mean?

• Reply 1505 of 2106
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

So, what are the chances of you BD fanatics to find a PS3 by the year end?.... Well, no Hi-Def BD Movies for you.

I fail to see how this is a bad thing. I've seen HD DVD proponents spout this time and time again as if it is a negative, when in reality, this means sony has sold out of its 500,000 units at launch, and will more than likey sell out of another additional 500,000 units by the end of December. This is a very good thing, as 1 million people will have a Blu-ray player, and even if 50% decide to buy 1 movie (and you know they're will be more) that means you have 500,000 movie sales at the very least before the end of the year--and this is a very, very conservative estimate.

So, in general, thanks for pointing this out, as this just means the PS3 is flying off the shelves along with an increase in potential movie sales.
  • Reply 1506 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir

i wish they bundled V for Vendetta instead of having it as just a special, i loved that movie.

i hope you guys are able to get your ps3's, so then i can laugh at you when the bluray doesn't work j/k,jk

but honestly if they are worried to even hit their initial 400k i dont see how venders are saying it wont be that hard to get one

Well... Don't you like free King Kong HD-DVD? The V for Vendetta is only $18 shipped from amazon and scheduled to 10/31 release. However, Kingkong is $25 shipped with 10% discount, which is a better deal in the end. I've pre-ordered V4V and should be getting it soon along with MI:3.

Anyway, it's interesting how the PS3 launch will be perceived. Last time I check, our economy is in one of worst times ever and having a $499/$599 disposable income for PS3 would not be common in most households. Just a bad timing and I'm actually surpised that initial 400K units are spoken for..... BTW, out of 400K units, how many will hit US?

BTW, this is how well HD-DVD's are selling compared to BD. I've posted this link before, but check out where MI:3 collection sets ranked between BD vs. HD-DVD Title that has same release date... (3200 [BD] vs. 275 [HD-DVD]) and these # means ranking not # of copies being sold ( I thought I needed to point that out for BD fanatics).

http://www.thedvdwars.com/index.cfm
  • Reply 1507 of 2106
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I come from a marketing background. I would have to say that HD-DVD has a huge brand recognition advantage over Blu-Ray. I haven't seen any initiatives out of Sony to educate the public about what exactly Blu-Ray is.

HD-DVD has the built in benefit of EVERYONE knowing what DVD is and what HD is.
  • Reply 1508 of 2106
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Last time I check, our economy is in one of worst times ever and having a $499/$599 disposable income for PS3 would not be common in most households.

uh, no. Middle class income is only growing as fast as inflation, but that does not equal "worst times ever".
  • Reply 1509 of 2106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Deal goes until Feb 28 2007

http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect....fer_advert.pdf

You can bet your sweet arse I'm taking advantage.

Let's see from

Category A

U-571 or Seabiscuit

Category B

Blazing Saddles

Category C

We Were Soldiers or Four Brothers
  • Reply 1510 of 2106
    Quote:

BTW, out of 400K units, how many will hit US?

[/url]

400k is what IS coming to the U.S, with 100k going to japan for launch.

good move on their part, considering japan isn't recieving them all that well right now.

however, they actually might not meet the 400k launch figure, which would put them further back of reaching their goal for the end of 2006 (and piss off people who already were gauranteed a system when preorderd)

this happened to the 360 last year, with the recalls, and manufacturing problems. sony might get hit even harder if they dont hit 400k.
  • Reply 1511 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

uh, no. Middle class income is only growing as fast as inflation, but that does not equal "worst times ever".

Okay....... worst in last 6/7 years of Bushing around...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

Deal goes until Feb 28 2007

http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect....fer_advert.pdf

You can bet your sweet arse I'm taking advantage.

Let's see from

Category A

U-571 or Seabiscuit

Category B

Blazing Saddles

Category C

We Were Soldiers or Four Brothers

Thanks for the link, I can probably print one for my brother or get those free movies along with his new X-mas present. Funny thing is that my brother is a huge Sony/Bose fanboy..... and it would be interesting to see what he will say about his present. I'm going to covert him from die hard BD boy to die hard HD-DVD boy. LOL
  • Reply 1512 of 2106
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Anyone watch the World Series tonight? I'm pissed the Tigers lost, but anyway, saw a really weird Playb3yond commercial (during the game) for the PS3.

It was a baby sitting there in a room naked and staring at a PS3. The baby started to cry while looking at it, and then the tears got sucked back in the baby's eyes and then began to laugh.

It was one of those, WTF was that? kinda commercials, but memorable so it could prove to be effective.

Anyhow, just FYI. I'll see if I can get a video of it off the net some time soon.
  • Reply 1513 of 2106
    So much for all those analysts saying they had not hit 5 million... just announced today

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=11441

a long with boasting slightly better than predicted sales,

"the Xbox 360 accessory attach rate remains the highest ever for the first ten months after a console launch in the US, holding at 2.9 accessory units sold per console (Source: NPD). Software attach rates rose to a record 5.1 units per console (Source: NPD)."

The 360 also broke sales records in Australia

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=11409.

with this kind of software and peripheral attatchment the HD-DVD attatchment (to my surprise) should do very well.

That ps3 commercial can be found here- http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/27/ne...is-weak-sauce/
  • Reply 1514 of 2106
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Quote:

So much for all those analysts saying they had not hit 5 million... just announced today

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=11441

a long with boasting slightly better than predicted sales,

"the Xbox 360 accessory attach rate remains the highest ever for the first ten months after a console launch in the US, holding at 2.9 accessory units sold per console (Source: NPD). Software attach rates rose to a record 5.1 units per console (Source: NPD)."

The 360 also broke sales records in Australia

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=11409.

with this kind of software and peripheral attatchment the HD-DVD attatchment (to my surprise) should do very well.

That ps3 commercial can be found here- http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/27/ne...is-weak-sauce/

And what about the PS2 still kicking the XBOX 360?

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060611-7030.html

This is in the US. As for Japan...

Sony could be perceived as being strategically fairly sound here - I know the PS2 sales are old news I cant find the article right now but even recently the situation is still the same. The PS3 is for those who want it, it's pretty expensive I'll grant, but with PS2 sales still going so well, they can probably do this.

If only they made a few more clever decisions...
  • Reply 1515 of 2106
    hanxuhanxu Posts: 22member
    I think ppl buy ps2 now are mainly for the cheaper price, it will not project ps3 sells, as these are different audience. e.g. Causal gamers and low income families.

For the first few years of the next gen console war, the main audience would be higher income families, hardcore gamers. For hardcore gamers like or not they will get all platform anyway. For high income families, that's what sony should attract to buy.

As for Blueray and HD dvd, I still think it's too early to say, I think we most likely to see Combo format drives just like dvd +-

Just little opinion.
  • Reply 1516 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hanxu

I think ppl buy ps2 now are mainly for the cheaper price, it will not project ps3 sells, as these are different audience. e.g. Causal gamers and low income families.

For the first few years of the next gen console war, the main audience would be higher income families, hardcore gamers. For hardcore gamers like or not they will get all platform anyway. For high income families, that's what sony should attract to buy.

As for Blueray and HD dvd, I still think it's too early to say, I think we most likely to see Combo format drives just like dvd +-

Just little opinion.

First of all, the news is too old.... but in the case of PS2 still selling well may reflect negatively on PS3 sales. People with recent purchase of PS2 will not spend money on PS3 in the immediate future. It's more likely chance for formal xbox360 owners to get PS3, however, than recent PS2 purchasers getting PS3.
  • Reply 1517 of 2106
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

First of all, the news is too old.... but in the case of PS2 still selling well may reflect negatively on PS3 sales. People with recent purchase of PS2 will not spend money on PS3 in the immediate future. It's more likely chance for formal xbox360 owners to get PS3, however, than recent PS2 purchasers getting PS3.

Ultimately somebody that is just buying a PS2 now is likely to buy a PS3 when they are ready to switch to a next gen console, which will be a fair while away.

As an aside 5 of the top 10 selling PS2 games in PAL regions right now are items that Microsoft has no answer to. Things such as the Eye Toy, Singstar and Buzz or exclusives. The other 5 are all multiplatforms. If you look down the 360 list it reads very much like the old xbox, FPSs, driving and sports. Unfortunately outside the US those games don't drive sales as well.

Meanwhile Microsoft needs to ship 4 million consoles in 2 months or 67% of what they have done in the last year. Who actually thinks they are realistically going to hit sales goals without massively overstocking retailers?
  • Reply 1518 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Telomar

Ultimately somebody that is just buying a PS2 now is likely to buy a PS3 when they are ready to switch to a next gen console, which will be a fair while away.

As an aside 5 of the top 10 selling PS2 games in PAL regions right now are items that Microsoft has no answer to. Things such as the Eye Toy, Singstar and Buzz or exclusives. The other 5 are all multiplatforms. If you look down the 360 list it reads very much like the old xbox, FPSs, driving and sports. Unfortunately outside the US those games don't drive sales as well.

Meanwhile Microsoft needs to ship 4 million consoles in 2 months or 67% of what they have done in the last year. Who actually thinks they are realistically going to hit sales goals without massively overstocking retailers?

all they have to do is fill orders, to them those are already counted on the balance sheet.

hanx had some good points there about the ps2.

truthfully, bloggers need to step outside and realize that a lot of people are going to struggle with that 300,400,500, and 600 dollar price tag.

i mean the other day, after much debating my friend decided to pick up a 360. i mean, its not like he was going to get a ps3 or wii, he wanted a 360, but with a price tag of 400 + a 60 dollar game, it was a tough decision.

in the end, he got the system with a game

488 dollars after taxes.

thats expensive.
  • Reply 1519 of 2106
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Quote:

all they have to do is fill orders, to them those are already counted on the balance sheet.

hanx had some good points there about the ps2.

truthfully, bloggers need to step outside and realize that a lot of people are going to struggle with that 300,400,500, and 600 dollar price tag.

i mean the other day, after much debating my friend decided to pick up a 360. i mean, its not like he was going to get a ps3 or wii, he wanted a 360, but with a price tag of 400 + a 60 dollar game, it was a tough decision.

in the end, he got the system with a game

488 dollars after taxes.

thats expensive.

It's going to sell. They won't be able to make enough. EB and Gamestop have already stopped taking in-store pre-orders. They can't even get more than 16 per store. I wanted to get one right away, but I think I may not be able to.
  • Reply 1520 of 2106
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

It's going to sell. They won't be able to make enough. EB and Gamestop have already stopped taking in-store pre-orders. They can't even get more than 16 per store. I wanted to get one right away, but I think I may not be able to.

In point of fact, if you weren't aware of the pre-order situation at EB/Gamestop (same company, actually), you wouldn't have been able to place a pre-order because all the slots were filled within an hour of being open, and in some cases within minutes. There's a very active community out there getting the word out. I know of one person who called every EB within 50 miles only 30 minutes after pre-orders started. No dice. I can guarantee you that initial 400,000 shipment is 100% spoken for as of now. The second shipment, planned for the holiday season, will be only slightly less difficult to get.