Official World Cup Thread

Comments

• Reply 201 of 528
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dojobi

Yeah maybe I'm just a little over-enthusiastic atm

Nothing wrong with that man. Been a while. good for you.

Quote:

That is very strange that they picked him as a positive The commentators here were talking about it being his last world cup based on his performance.

Not a positive...THE positive. lol It will be his last cup no matter what. At the rate he's going he'll look like Maradruga before they tied up his stomach a year or so ago. To "say at least".
  • Reply 202 of 528
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    France vs. South Korean 1:1

Hey com'on France, that's not your very self.
  • Reply 203 of 528
    dojobidojobi Posts: 73member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Hey dojobo, i've said it once before: if the us squad had a good scorer

they would have won. The same with the Aussie squad. What a piti,

because the hype about the Brasilian team is way over the

top to say at least. A balanced squad will beat Brasilia this time

very easily. Say Spain, Argentinia, maybe Germany.

Brasilia have to gather the crisis squad soon, if they want to

survive the tournament any longer.

I think you're right Vox. In their current form any of those teams would destroy Brazil.
  • Reply 204 of 528
    Arabia vs. Ukraine has just finished and i have to admit,

that that was the worst kick i have ever seen in my life.
  • Reply 205 of 528
    SÃ*, SÃ*, SÃ*, nos vemos en BerlÃ*n!
  • Reply 206 of 528
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Ukraine put in four, which is a good confidence boost for them. I still hold my original claim of a Netherlands v. Ukraine semifinal.

Spain continues to look great. This will certainly provide Korea with some extra motivation to try to beat Switzerland. Spain is playing with a lot of class and is an easy team to support.

As for France v. Togo, I bet Togo is going to win that match now.
  • Reply 207 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Spain continues to look great. This will certainly provide Korea with some extra motivation to try to beat Switzerland. Spain is playing with a lot of class and is an easy team to support.

Spain is looking good. But they have looked good in the past aswell...only to crash and burn. Just like Portugal.

I LOVED their one touch play at times during yesterday's game. Usually La Liga's play is more methodical...but this team at times played nice, precise and quick passing footie. I wouldn't mind one bit if they won it all. With 2 Reds players even.
  • Reply 208 of 528
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I'm all for Ghana to toss everyone and win the Cup in their first appearance.

You never know, it could happen. Lots of better ranked teams ain't doin' so well (my favorites Japan as well).

Friday's match (Japan-Brazil) starts are 4:00 am. Luckily I got the day off! Hope they can still muster something, but, honestly, I have lost my enthusiasm.
  • Reply 209 of 528
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Here's hoping Trinidad can pull it off, with a little help from their Commonwealth brethren.
  • Reply 210 of 528
    Great game England-Sverige. Great first half by England....great second half by Sweden....and that England defence looked VERY shaky in that second half.

Eriksson is a horrible coach/manager. Carragher shouldn't be starting for England on the right side....and to sub for Rooney and not for Crouchie who is useless if he's not dominating in the air was a very poor decision.

Rooney may be a little bit overrated, but he gives England more options in attack. Very good half by him actually. Fun game to watch. Nice goal by Stevie G.
  • Reply 211 of 528
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Darn. Oh well. Where's my Brazilian flag?
  • Reply 212 of 528
    Germany Germany Germany. Who can stop them now?
  • Reply 213 of 528
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Germany Germany Germany. Who can stop them now?

Probably the same guys that stopped them in 2002.
  • Reply 214 of 528
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Eriksson is a horrible coach/manager.

The fact that the first half was such a blowout, and the second such a wimper, has got to be the greatest testament of all to Sven's sheer foolishness.

He may be a good manager for some sides, but he's clearly the wrong fit for England, and is too incompetent to be flexible enough to adapt to emphasize on England's strengths. If someone such as Sir Alex were the manager, it likely would have been a 4-0 drubbing, as they like to say.
  • Reply 215 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Probably the same guys that stopped them in 2002.

Brasilia? I don't think Brasilia goes through the final.
  • Reply 216 of 528
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    England has not been capable of beating Sweden since, um, 1968. That is a rather long time, especially with all of the hawks saying how good England is. It just isn't so. (I recorded the match to watch tonight.) Check out the stats and compare Sweden and England, and they come out pretty even, with Sweden slightly edging England in all but short and long passes. England's crosses (mainly for their cpat and beloved Beckham) fall way short. Rooney is very over-rated and also England has now lost Owen.

Germany, also, is being over-rated. They had some severe fouls last night that were not called, and they just looked blah against a weak team. Sure, they managed three goals, but there was no life in the game. Germany - Sweden will be a great match, and I think it will be anybody's game. germany is going for the homecourt advantage and being lucky with favorable calls.
  • Reply 217 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

England has not been capable of beating Sweden since, um, 1968. That is a rather long time, especially with all of the hawks saying how good England is. It just isn't so. (I recorded the match to watch tonight.) Check out the stats and compare Sweden and England, and they come out pretty even, with Sweden slightly edging England in all but short and long passes. England's crosses (mainly for their cpat and beloved Beckham) fall way short. Rooney is very over-rated and also England has now lost Owen.

Big deal. Who cares if it's been 100 years. It's 10 games...but I guess saying 38 years sounds better eh? Pretty silly to flash that stat and then say how England aren't that good because they haven't beaten Sweden in 38 years.

And how convenient of you to leave out time of possession(55-45), shots on target(8-6) and total(14-9)= advantage England. ("Sweden slightly edging England in all but short and long passes" my ass).

As overrated as 20 year old Rooney is...I'll take him over ANY Swedish player...or Jap player for that matter...except for maybe Zlatan...maybe. And this is coming from a Liverpool fan who despises Man U....and Everton.
  • Reply 218 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

He may be a good manager for some sides, but he's clearly the wrong fit for England, and is too incompetent to be flexible enough to adapt to emphasize on England's strengths. If someone such as Sir Alex were the manager, it likely would have been a 4-0 drubbing, as they like to say.

Can't disagree with you there. I watched the argentina-England friendly with argentinian commentators late last year, and they were very impressed with the amount of talent on the English side. It's up to the manager to mold the talent into a cohesive team. Eriksson has had enough time to do that and it's not even close. The first half must've been encouraging to the English fans...quite a contrast to the second half.

It pains me to say it as a Liverpool fanatic but Carragher should not be starting for the national team and neither should Crouch. Crouch is supposed to be dominant in the air...and he isn't....he doesn't score much and he's veeerrryy slow. Puzzling selection.

With Owen out...and Rooney not in match form yet...it'll have to be Crouch producing.
  • Reply 219 of 528
    Do remember I said above somewhere that "I don't like England. Period." and then take anything else with a grain of salt. I simply find them over-rated, over-paid and over-proud. The US is the same with baseball, which was great when they didn't do so well in the World Baseball Classic despite setting the play sheet in their favor (Japan took the honors, BTW).

Though I only had a few minutes this morning, I replayed the opening ceremony three times to check... you can hear whistling during the Swedish anthem, not the English. This has happened in several matches and is rather irritating. Also the booing that came after Owen twisted his ankle with no Swedish player within reach was, well, odd at best. There is no stat table for booing anybody and everybody. I have raised the issue of booing before and find lots of it in most of the matches. Is this normal?

Then there is the bashing of the coach. Oooh; the success or failure falls on one "easily" replaceable person (who happens not to be British). Japan lost a match and some reporter pointed out it could have been the coach's (Zico's) poor subbbing, but nobody bashed him; they focused on what the team on the pitch did or didn't do, because at the end of the day, it is they who win or lose the match.

About strikers, look at the stats again... I would prefer Larsson, Allbäck, Ljungberg or Nakamura, and though he hasn't played in the WC yet, Maki.

The one English player I kind of like is Crouch... not that he is good or anything, just that he is built like myself and it is impressive to see him risk his limbs for the game he loves! To lankiness!

Any way you look at it, England still has not beaten Sweden in a long time, and I don't get the impression they are too happy about that.

I still want Ghana to go far; they are fun to watch.
  • Reply 220 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Do remember I said above somewhere that "I don't like England. Period." and then take anything else with a grain of salt.

Trust me....I for one take anything you say with a grain of salt. No offense. And you're free to dislike any team you want....but when you make silly statements or make up BS stats...be prepared to be called on it....like you just did.
    Quote:

I simply find them over-rated, over-paid and over-proud.

We get it...you hate the English team. I doubt you've been a football/soccer fan for very long....so added salt because of that.
    Quote:

Though I only had a few minutes this morning, I replayed the opening ceremony three times to check... you can hear whistling during the Swedish anthem, not the English. This has happened in several matches and is rather irritating.

Not the only fans that do that....not the last time it's going to happen. BFD.

Quote:

Also the booing that came after Owen twisted his ankle with no Swedish player within reach was, well, odd at best. There is no stat table for booing anybody and everybody.

Thank goodness there is no stat for that because 99.9999% of the fans don't....give a....about those kinds of things. Goodness....Booing: Sweden 40%-England 60%.
    Quote:

I have raised the issue of booing before and find lots of it in most of the matches. Is this normal?

No it's not normal. Booing is unheard of in the rest of the world. In fact it's against the law in some countries and FIFA is considering a permanent ban on countries whose fans engage in that sort of thing. No really.

Quote:

Then there is the bashing of the coach. Oooh; the success or failure falls on one "easily" replaceable person (who happens not to be British). Japan lost a match and some reporter pointed out it could have been the coach's (Zico's) poor subbbing, but nobody bashed him; they focused on what the team on the pitch did or didn't do, because at the end of the day, it is they who win or lose the match.

I can't speak for the English...because I'm not. The only reason I'm even "engaging" you is because you're making such ridiculous and silly arguments I feel compelled to address them. The players follow tactics outlined by the manager. He is responsible for selecting the team and the best FIT players available. He's also responsible for positioning. For fans who have been following the game for a while, it's fairly obvious when a player is out of position or not fit. Under Eriksson, England has had but a handful of well played games.

And of course coaches are easily replaceable. It would be...stupid...to replace the whole team.

Most of the England players are proven players in previous WCs, or top European club tournaments. Tournaments which I doubt you've watched.
    Quote:

About strikers, look at the stats again... I would prefer Larsson, Allbäck, Ljungberg or Nakamura, and though he hasn't played in the WC yet, Maki.

Of course you would. Too bad you have no clue what you're talking about. Which stats by the way? For your information....Ljungberg and Nakamura are NOT strikers.

I always liked Larsson..but he's old now and hardly played for Barça. Class act though. And Allback...lol..are you kidding me? This is a guy who played for Villa...somewhat...and scored a grand total of 6 goals in 2 years. And 4 goals for Hansa Rostock in Germany. You do realize Shrek...err... Rooney is only 20 right? Why am I even bothering with you?
    Quote:

The one English player I kind of like is Crouch... not that he is good or anything, just that he is built like myself and it is impressive to see him risk his limbs for the game he loves!

All professional players risk their limbs playing the game they get PAID a lot to play.

Just curious...but how long have you been following the game?