Official World Cup Thread

Comments

• Reply 221 of 528
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Ok, I have to share this joke with you guys. As you guys well know, Japan's coach is Brasilian Zico. The former Flamengo, Udinese and Brasil star.

Anyways, I got this from a blog by one of Brasil's most famous sportswriters. I think it's quite fitting given Brasil's mediocre performances thus far.

So Zico phones Parreira(current Brasil manager/coach) to ask him for a little help for the next game. (Brasil vs. Japan)

"Brasil has already qualified to the next round and Japan hasn't. Think you could give us a hand?"

To which Parreira replies...."Ok Zico, what do you want? Do you want me to play the reserve players?"

Zico got really scared and yelled back: "No Parreira. Not the reserves!!!"

• Reply 222 of 528
    dojobidojobi Posts: 73member
    hahaha I like that.
  • Reply 223 of 528
    regreg Posts: 832member
    How hard do you have to kick a penalty kick? I missed who took it for Mexico but it looked like he tried to blast it through a brick wall and missed high. I don't mind the booing as much as the dives that many of the players are taking. FIFA has reduced the slide tackles now they have to find a way to reduce the dives.

reg
  • Reply 224 of 528
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

I watched the argentina-England friendly with argentinian commentators late last year, and they were very impressed with the amount of talent on the English side. It's up to the manager to mold the talent into a cohesive team. Eriksson has had enough time to do that and it's not even close.

Here's what Sven said during the halftime break (I'm guessing):

"Save your energy, don't get yellow cards, maintain 1-0 goal lead."

In other words: worry, worry, worry.

This was the wrong message. They were playing an overwhelmingly dominant and clean game during the first half. Bergermeister: check the first half stats. His message should have been, "do nothing different, you played extremely well, net another goal and bury them." And that's it.

Quote:

Originally posted by reg

How hard do you have to kick a penalty kick?

If depends who you are. If you're Shevchenko or Henry, you can kick it as hard as you want, since you have the most accurate shots in the world. If you're not, then you have to think about it a bit more. A lot of penalty kicks are scored from the side of the foot, so accuracy is more important than pace. If you can drill it with accuracy, then you deny the chance for the goalie to guess right.
  • Reply 225 of 528
    I was just being cynical. The pressure was too much for Bravo. Mexico is also just as bad with taking dives. It seemed Perez was on the ground pleading anytime he lost the ball.

If things stay the way they are I will have missed 3 teams advancing, US, Japan and France. I was reading that they are averaging over 5 yellow cards per match. Portugal did not play 5 of their starters against Mexico because they had yellow cards. Who do you think will be most effected by players being out in the next round?

reg
  • Reply 226 of 528
    Mexico is famous (infamous) for missing penalty kicks. The mexicans call it the "Mexican Curse". It's been going on for a while.
  • Reply 227 of 528
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I don't know if anyone's watching Ivory Coast vs. Serbia & Montenegro, but even though they're losing 2-1 due to terrible defence errors, IC is in total control of the game. S&M has a player out as well. One of the best games so far, apart from USA vs Italy.

edit: 2-2 and 20 minutes left.

edit: 3 - 2 Ivory Cost win!
  • Reply 228 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Mexico is famous (infamous) for missing penalty kicks. The mexicans call it the "Mexican Curse". It's been going on for a while.

Edit: they actually call it the "Aztec Curse". And no, it's not a variation of Montezuma's Revenge.
  • Reply 229 of 528
    I was watching the Netherlands-argent. game. Someone should check how many players the argies have on the field. It looks like at least 14. Man, those guys do a lot of running. Everytime a dutch player got the ball he'd be crowded by 2 or 3 argies....quickly! Impressive.

0-0. Final score. Next up for the argies.....Mexico.

My prediction is 4-0.
  • Reply 230 of 528
    Yeah they sure were impressive. I think they've just moved up a few notches in my head's world cup ladder
  • Reply 231 of 528
    This is when I really begin to believe that there's an anti-USA conspiracy affecting the referees.

And even if there isn't where are the cards for diving? I swear, if Ghana's plane falls out of the sky and sinks to the bottom of the ocean, at least we won't be losing an honest bunch of players.
  • Reply 232 of 528
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Except honesty has nothing to do with it. They're trained to do that. But if there's a bunch of players that goes to the extreme with that... its Italy. Man, what a bunch of diving sissies
  • Reply 233 of 528
    At least there were fewer whistle today. I just think that the ref's made several mistakes but at least let both teams play more. Both Ghana goals were made because of poor play by the US. I don't think it was a foul in the box which lead to the second goal. Still the ball should not have been cleared in the middle. Now I can seat back and just watch instead of getting emotionally involved. My question for the US would be what happened to intensity that they had against Italy?

reg
  • Reply 234 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

My question for the US would be what happened to intensity that they had against Italy?

A little of it is undoubtedly to do the fact that they wore themselves out in the Italy match. The rest is that Ghana kept stopping play with penalties, which is an intelligent if unsporting tactic.

Well, the mission is clear for 2010: we need to develop or import blood-thirsty strikers.
  • Reply 235 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Except honesty has nothing to do with it. They're trained to do that. But if there's a bunch of players that goes to the extreme with that... its Italy. Man, what a bunch of diving sissies

I once had a "discussion" with an argentinian journalist. After going back and forth on a couple of topics we agreed on a couple of things...one of them being a tie for first place for best divers between Italy and argentina. Probably the two dirtiest countries when it comes to soccer/football.

About the US game....what can I say. Ghana is a much quicker team and Reyna gave the ball away in a very dangerous position and paid for it twice.

That phantom penalty....no comment.

• Reply 236 of 528
    Calling Bergermeister. . .

I gave out a cheer for Japan about an hour ago, but I'm afraid that, for the second time "all they have done is awaken a sleeping giant."

This time, though, the giant is very different.

Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Obviously. But this is what happens when the game is softened and the rules tighen up: more diving, more dishonesty, and more sneaky, dirty play. I'd rather see brutal challenges than this nonsense, even if it means a few more injuries, and that Brazil will lose the luxury of superfluous dribbling.

I still think there's a conspiracy. . .
  • Reply 237 of 528
    Well I'm glad Australia's through to the next round. I think we really need to get more normal play goals. We seem to be relying on penalty kicks to get our points.

I think we got unlucky with lots of calls in the penalty box. That one where Simunic grabbed Viduka and tackled him to the ground like it was a rugby game was the worst call of the match. There were other things like uncalled handballs and the 3 yellow cards incident on Simunic too. Terrible job by the ref.

Bad referreeing aside, I think Simunic is one of the dirtiest players in the game. What's amusing though is that he was born in Sydney, grew up in Sydney, trained at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra (at our taxpayer's expense), then he says he "feels" Croatian, so plays for them. They can have him I say.

Here's a pic of the rugby tackle in the box -

• Reply 238 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Dude, Mexico is up there this year. At least they got carded for it.

Does anyone remember when Jurgen Klinsmann was still playing? It was amazing. You'd graze his ankles and he'd fall with his back arched, howling like you'd shot him in the goolies. Cheating bastard. The weird thing was he was such a nice, admirable human being in nearly every other way (and still is probably) and a really great footballer. Hmm.
  • Reply 239 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

You'd graze his ankles and he'd fall with his back arched, howling like you'd shot him in the goolies.

haha, you don't know how close I came to spitting coke everywhere just then.
  • Reply 240 of 528
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Calling Bergermeister. . .

I gave out a cheer for Japan about an hour ago, but I'm afraid that, for the second time "all they have done is awaken a sleeping giant."

Oh, well. Just like I hope for an Apple sub-notebook, I can always hope that Japan will win. In the end, it doesn't really bother me one way or another; soccer only attracts my interest every four years and then only for a couple of weeks.

As someone noted, the Japanese team seems to drop off after something goes wrong, and certainly did in this match. However, they have made it to the cup three times in 12 years, which ain't bad; they still have to learn a bit. I wonder how bad the problems amongstthe players really were...

Personally, I was happy to see Maki play, as he worked hard to get on the team and to be fielded against Brazil must have been a dream come true for him, regardless of the results. Kawaguchi was awesome, again (as usual?). For a GK a poll on the BBC criticizes as being too small to play in the big leagues, he does pretty dag-gone good. Wonder if that poll is actually trying to say something else...