Official World Cup Thread

Comments

• Reply 161 of 528
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Argentina just got their second goal... wonderful passwork, best of the tournament maybe.

Still in the first half.... will this end at under 4-0?
  • Reply 162 of 528
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    3 Goals in one half, each goal beats the other! Jeez.

Argentinia shows tremendous powerful football.

I am puzzled entirely. Heck, who can beat them?
  • Reply 163 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

3 Goals in one half, each goal beats the other! Jeez.

Argentinia shows tremendous powerful football.

I am puzzled entirely. Heck, who can beat them?

They look really good, although Serbia and Montenegro aren't the most aggressive team. I think Holland might be able to beat them, if they're organised enough, and I think Spain might, because they're capable of outscoring them, if anyone is... Brazil could, because they're pretty awesome, but I can really see Argentina doing damage to the Brazilian defence.

And then of course, there's England...

oh nothing.
  • Reply 164 of 528
    OK, scrub that: Argentina are really good.
  • Reply 165 of 528
    6-0

'nuff said.
  • Reply 166 of 528
    Netherlands-Ivory Coast are on now.

N play dirty (including pathetic play-acting) as hell, IC are trying hard.

We are rooting for IC.
  • Reply 167 of 528
    Ivory is out. Damn what a piti!
  • Reply 168 of 528
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Yeah, the argies are the real thing. It's a mediocre WC and I think so far there's only 3 teams that have looked good. Spain, Czech Rep. and the argies.

Ivory Coast should've tied the argies and beaten the dutch. Shame that they're out so early.

Netherlands looked worse than I thought they would. A lot of really childish mistakes on defense.
  • Reply 169 of 528
    Ivory COast is out but they gave a whole-hearted try.

The Netherlands crowd also was booing almost as badly as the English fans. Sad. Real sad. We cut the sound off because it was so bad.
  • Reply 170 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

It's a mediocre WC and I think so far there's only 3 teams that have looked good. Spain, Czech Rep. and the argies.

This WC is far from mediocre. I don't no what you mean.

Spain Czech, Argentinia and who else?
  • Reply 171 of 528
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The US did not play.... so I am not sure how good the Czechs are. The Argies did not really play that well against the Ivory Coast, who have now lost twice. Still 6-0 is hard not to take notice of. The 3 teams that I believe are the best are Spain, Argentina and Ecuador. My final is Spain beating Argentina. Still most of the South American teams are not tall and could lose if some of the taller EU teams start crossing the ball with some accuracy. My only bet is Mexico making it further than England. Both should make it to the second round, England coming out second in their group then losing to Ecuador. Mexico winning their group and beating Netherlands. I love three matches aday.

reg
  • Reply 172 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

I can;t understand the mediocre view - it's got to be one of the best World Cups for decades so far. Usually the group games are shadow boxing - we've had none of that.

For decades? I didn't know you were that old. I meant mediocre talent wise...in general. Collectively look at Germany, England, Netherlands, France, Portugal, Brasil.... so called "powers". Entertaining it has definitely been. We'll see who's right after a few more games or rounds.
    Quote:

Anyway, imo, it is miles better than last time in Japan when teams like Korea were not progressing on merit and no-one packing a whistle was above suspicion.

I agree there. Japan/Korea was very mediocre...especially after the argies and french were eliminated in the first round. And that german team that made the it to the final...shouldn't have. They were lucky to beat the US who outplayed them a couple rounds earlier.
  • Reply 173 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

My final is Spain beating Argentina. Still most of the South American teams are not tall and could lose if some of the taller EU teams start crossing the ball with some accuracy.

Spain is well known to have good teams and then....how can I put it mildly....to choke. And crosses did bother argentina in a recent friendly vs. england....but argentina didn't have ayala who despite being relatively short can really jump.
  • Reply 174 of 528
    I wonder why Serbia & Montenegro lost so badly against Argentina, do these guys have any experience against South American teams?

Argentina played really well, fast short passes into the box and then GOAL. That's very classy.

I wonder what Pekerman can say from today's performances by Tevez and Messi. Granted, they are great players and both scored but they came in when the match was already won. The ability of Tevez or Messi to turn around a game and win it is yet to be seen. At least they showed they are able to handle the pressure of the World Cup much better than RIbery. Neither one will be in the starting line-up against the Netherlands, Crespo and Saviola are good enough.

I think Mexico's tie against Angola is fair. And I noticed that Marquez is very good. His style is awfully like Cafu's, very neat.
  • Reply 175 of 528
    Quote:

I meant mediocre talent wise...in general. ...

I still don't no what you mean. I don't want to

bother you with that stunning list of names, that already exists.

Pick it up by yourself.

I saw a couple of teams, which comprise some very

compelling talents (individuals) AND who

are working together brilliantly as a team.

That's what i call talent.
  • Reply 176 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

I wonder why Serbia & Montenegro lost so badly against Argentina, do these guys have any experience against South American teams?

Quote from the S&B coach:

"Today also shows that the qualifiers and the World Cup finals are two completely different things. You have to face different types of teams and the results are there for all to see. I?m not blind. "
  • Reply 177 of 528
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Pick it up by yourself.

The WC is mediocre so far. Heck, Euro 2004 was far better.
  • Reply 178 of 528
    Quote:

Pick it up by yourself.

Well, I thank you for not bothering me.

Quote:

There you go. "A couple". Thanks for making my point for me. I'm sure you didn't see any teams full of "names" who are playing like crap as teams? That's what I would call mediocre.

Soulcrusher: Marquez has grown into a great player. No wonder he's so important to the european club champs. In today's game I think we could see that he easily rates a little higher than the rest of his compatriots.

The argies are looking good to do a lot of damage.... I don't know if anyone noticed but the schedule has been extremely kind to them allowing them to play their 3 first round games in 11 days. Others like Brasil and Spain for example will play 3 games in 9 days.

Then in the next round they'll play weak teams (at least on paper and from what they've shown so far) such as Portugal( perpetual underachievers) or Mexico.

Even though it's a little too early to tell,as of right now.... I think it's their WC to lose.
  • Reply 179 of 528
    Quote:

Well, I thank you for not bothering me.

There you go. "A couple". Thanks for making my point for me. I'm sure you didn't see any teams full of "names" who are playing like crap as teams? That's what I would call mediocre.

Soulcrusher: Marquez has grown into a great player. No wonder he's so important to the european club champs. In today's game I think we could see that he easily rates a little higher than the rest of his compatriots.

The argies are looking good to do a lot of damage.... I don't know if anyone noticed but the schedule has been extremely kind to them allowing them to play their 3 first round games in 11 days. Others like Brasil and Spain for example will play 3 games in 9 days.

Then in the next round they'll play weak teams (at least on paper and from what they've shown so far) such as Portugal( perpetual underachievers) or Mexico.

Even though it's a little too early to tell,as of right now.... I think it's their WC to lose.

well
  • Reply 180 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

The WC is mediocre so far. Heck, Euro 2004 was far better.

in your humble opinion.