Apple rolls out Merom-based iMacs, new 24-inch model

Comments

• Reply 141 of 283
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

That depends on if the XBox 360 can only output HD through HDMI and not through coaxial.

I think that's unlikely. I've never heard of a consumer device that can output HD over coax. Besides, that degrades the picture quality because that would mean compressing it on-the-fly. The MPEG-2 compressors that I am aware of have a half-second lag.
  • Reply 142 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I am pretty sure you are mistaken. I doubt it does analog HD input, the only jack is a coax, which means digital over the air tuning at best. I think you are also confusing composite to coax as component to coax.

Check their site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elgato Website

\t Two-in-One TV for your Mac

EyeTV Hybrid does the work of two EyeTV hardware products for the price of one. It delivers free-to-view digital terrestrial television (DTT, or Freeview) to your Mac in crystal clear digital quality, as well as analog TV via aerial and standard cable. EyeTV Hybrid also comes with a break-out cable for composite video and S-Video, enabling you to connect a set-top box for premium channels, digital cable or satellite

It does analog HD, although that appears to be composite, not component. They look similar and are similar words. My mistake. Point is, you can probably hook up a Xbox 360 and get HD (or at least 720p)
  • Reply 143 of 283
    That is weird. Quickbooks isn't on the MBP now either. Quickbooks was too business oriented anyway, probably why they took it off. And neither Quickbooks or Quicken was intel native, another reason why they may have taken them off.

Quicken runs just fine under Rosetta though. I think that's what they claimed when they released the 07 version. But they better get their act together for the next release.
  • Reply 144 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

By announcing these now, it will build up even furthur anticipation by everyone what they'll be announcing on tuesday.

Steve: "Ladies and gentlemen, first thing's first, we'd like to announce that... starting...today... we are shipping ahead of schedule... Leopard, and it is included in every new iMac purchased! Today!"
  • Reply 145 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Check their site.

It does analog HD, although that appears to be composite, not component. They look similar and are similar words. My mistake. Point is, you can probably hook up a Xbox 360 and get HD (or at least 720p)

I read that before I made my previous reply. You are reading too much into it, or more accurately, misinterpreting it.

For one, analog TV there means standard definition. The segment you quoted does not say it can do analog HD. There does not exist a composite analog HD connection or signalling standard in the US.
  • Reply 146 of 283
    Quote:

You know, having the 24 inch Vesa mounted on your living room wall would be a superb setup for some people. You could use it like Web TV. Do all your internet/emailing from the couch (maybe have to lower the resolution a bit for that) using the bluetooth keyboard and mouse. But for a majority of people out there who don't need to do a lot of detailed work, it might just be a good solution for them. And then they can activate Front Row to do all their music and movies.

As someone pointed out to me earlier, 'Ey lad, that's bigger than your TV'. He's from Yorkshire and I've a 21" TV should you be wondering.
  • Reply 147 of 283
    Quote:

Yah, but it's got Quickbooks doesn't it? That's what came on my MBP. I don't like it though cause it's only good for businesses.

same here. It seemed kind of stupid, why not include a trial version of their software that's actually made for the people who will likely be buying the computer?
  • Reply 148 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Steve: "Ladies and gentlemen, first thing's first, we'd like to announce that... starting...today... we are shipping ahead of schedule... Leopard, and it is included in every new iMac purchased! Today!"

I know that's a joke, but I just want to point out that this may make Tuesday all-iPod, or iPod and Airport or something, with no Macs.
  • Reply 149 of 283
    Quote:

That may change - MS is moving towards more support for Firewire. And if 1394c shows up, that'll be a lot faster than Ethernet. Don't count Firewire out.

Unless they've fleshed out the standards for S1600 and S3200, all 1394c will do (essentially) is piggy back Firewire 800 (S800) on the back of ethernet ports. There's the potential for FW800 port to dissappear altogether as they get replaced by RJ45 ports. That essentially makes 1394c an alteranive to 1G ethernet. But even at that, the ethernet folks are busy getting 10G ethernet out to the marketplace. Meanwhile, firewire is languishing.

Even if S3200 (~3.2Gb/s) becomes workable, eSATA (3.0 Gb/s) is already in the market place. There is nothing in the standard to take 1394 beyond S3200. SATA-IO is getting ready to start work ong the 3rd generation SATA that will take it up to 6Gb/s.

1394c was started back at least in January 2003. If we are lucky, it might get approved in time for support for it to be added to Santa Rosa before it is released in ~March 2007. I'm not going to hold my breath for it though.
  • Reply 150 of 283
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Check their site.

I'm pretty sure xbox 360 only does 720p anyways and doesn't even use hdmi only component.
  • Reply 151 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas

As a recent Windows switcher, I am very disappointed in the Mac version of Quicken. The new Quicken 2007, released about a month ago, is not even a Universal binary. And it can not import Quicken for Windows data files. (There is no migration path!)

Steve

On the upside, you can buy a copy of Parallels, install your favorite flavor of Windows and run whichever apps you need in that environment (windowed or full screen). It's what I've been using on the iMac I'm using right now (from my office). I need it for certain apps that I just can't get on the Mac (e.g., Picasa, WriteLog for my ham radio needs, etc). Now, we can debate that Quicken should be better, but at least there are options!

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 152 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbh0001

Unless they've fleshed out the standards for S1600 and S3200, all 1394c will do (essentially) is piggy back Firewire 800 (S800) on the back of ethernet ports. There's the potential for FW800 port to dissappear altogether as they get replaced by RJ45 ports. That essentially makes 1394c an alteranive to 1G ethernet. But even at that, the ethernet folks are busy getting 10G ethernet out to the marketplace. Meanwhile, firewire is languishing.

Even if S3200 (~3.2Gb/s) becomes workable, eSATA (3.0 Gb/s) is already in the market place. There is nothing in the standard to take 1394 beyond S3200. SATA-IO is getting ready to start work ong the 3rd generation SATA that will take it up to 6Gb/s.

1394c was started back at least in January 2003. If we are lucky, it might get approved in time for support for it to be added to Santa Rosa before it is released in ~March 2007. I'm not going to hold my breath for it though.

Santa Rosa is a laptop platform. We'll see S3200 or S1600 on workstations (Mac Pro) first.
  • Reply 153 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

I'm pretty sure xbox 360 only does 720p anyways and doesn't even use hdmi only component.

It does 1080i. There's an HDMI cable coming out later this year to accompany the external HD DVD drive they'll be offering. Right now it uses Component.
  • Reply 154 of 283
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO

It could be taken to mean that next Tuesday's announcements are going to be pretty big and Apple doesn't want to take up valuable time announcing the new iMacs.

--DotComCTO

This is a very loooong shot.

Movie downloads on iTunes, Video Airport Express, "Year of HD".

It all points to an Apple-branded large (40"+), built-in Video Airport Express LCD tv. Built by a new (to Apple) contract mfr. (That's why it was all done so quietly.)

I said it's a long shot. Like all the way to Uranus.
  • Reply 155 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

It's surprising, but it's only to support their new movie download service, and whatever else Steve has in store for us next week. I think it's outstanding. Ordering the 24" iMac...

Ya maybe they got Leopard pre-installed on them ! ;-}

but seriously I would have thought Steve would be dying to intro these onstage, and I can see it now, after introducing the new 17 and 20" models he says "and one more thing" .... " The new iMac now comes with a 24 " screen and it's just gorgeous ... and it is available NOW !! ... "

Oh well, this is certainly good news, bring on the switchers!

Robert
  • Reply 156 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas

Doesn't Firewire support depend more on the system, motherboard and peripheral manufacturers than Microsoft?

Quote:

Yes - but if Microsoft favors one thing over another, it's a heck of an advantage. Nobody's moving to EFI until MS makes an EFI version of Vista.

Nobody but Apple (essentially) used firewire, and then only for (preety much ) external hard drives. Why? Because Apple got Intel to put a lot of development into Firewire, and then pissed everybody off with their licencing scheme. Intel pulled out and before long, USB 2.0 emerged from (principally) Intel. Intel has not pushed support for Firewire in any of its chipsets since then. Microsoft Windows has supported Firewire since 98SE or 2000. Because Intel chipsets don't support it, Dell & HP have had to offer it as an optional add on card. Because Intel pulled out, the market decided to follow Intel instead of Apple.

Now that Apple and Intel have made nice, Firewire might get a second change (hopefully with 1394c).

Microsoft won't make any EFI version of Vista until Dell and HP ask for one. Intel has been pushing EFI since Itanium, but BIOS is cheap and easy. And now Apple is a direct threat to Dell & HP. An EFI version of Vista that can boot natively on an Intel Mac is one of the best ways Microsoft could anger 2 of its biggest customers: Dell & HP. It will happen eventually, but Dell & HP will be dragging their feet, kicking and screaming the whole way.
  • Reply 157 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO

I need it for certain apps that I just can't get on the Mac (e.g., Picasa, WriteLog for my ham radio needs, etc). Now, we can debate that Quicken should be better, but at least there are options!

What does Picasa do for you that iPhoto doesn't? Don't get me wrong, both are nice programs in my opinion. They are mostly equivalent that I can tell, so I haven't found a stand-out feature in Picasa to justify using it on a Mac.
  • Reply 158 of 283
    Quote:

Santa Rosa is a laptop platform. We'll see S3200 or S1600 on workstations (Mac Pro) first.

Point well taken, but that assumes that 1394c even implements S1600 or S3200. Everthing I've seen about 1394c only deals with S800, which is already available on the MBP, and now 24" iMac. These are using laptop platflorms.

Here's the most recent thing I could find on 1394c. And it only hints at any speed beyond S800.
  • Reply 159 of 283
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

I've always said that a 23" iMac would be ideal as a graphic design workstation - I've been saying it for years and Apple decides to release one a fortnight after I purchase a Mac Pro!

I wondered in a previous thread how Apple would mess with a 23" iMac to ensure it does not cannibalize the Pro line.

Surprisingly, Apple has done the opposite - they're actively pitching the 24" iMac to the cost-sensitive Pro customers!

If Quark has any sense at all - and that is debatable - they will call Jobs now and put together one of those "Buy a Mac, get Quark for $300." deals.

They have the only Intel Native design software for at least six months. Can they seize this opportunity?
  • Reply 160 of 283
    Quote:

That is weird. Quickbooks isn't on the MBP now either. Quickbooks was too business oriented anyway, probably why they took it off. And neither Quickbooks or Quicken was intel native, another reason why they may have taken them off.

Quicken runs just fine under Rosetta though. I think that's what they claimed when they released the 07 version. But they better get their act together for the next release.

Quickbooks or Quicken have never shipped with the iMac, Mac Mini or iBook/MacBook. Only the Pro models get it. OmniOutliner in the iMac is new though.