Macworld San Francisco 2007

Comments

• Reply 221 of 256
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I'm beginning to think that not much will be offered at Macworld and that the stock will drop as a result.

Best case scenario for MWSF:

Apple introduces:

New widescreen iPod

iPod phone

iTV

12" MBP

8-core Mac Pro

New displays

iLife '07

Worst case scenario:

Phone not announced

iTV doesn't ship for a month or two

No 12" MBP

No new displays

8-way MP at end of Jan.

iLife '07

Of course, there could be anything between those extremes. If we're lucky enough to have the best case scenario, Apple could guide in-line with the avg. est. of .61. Not likely, though.

If there's disappointment during the keynote on the 9th, AAPL will drop as Jobs speaks. AAPL may never reach 100 in January.

I think Q2 will be a bit of a letdown but Q3 could be quite splendid. That's when Leopard will ship and new portables with Santa Rosa. The phone would likely ship around the end of March which is also when Leopard and the portables might ship.

You never can tell with Apple, though. Anything can happen, and usually does, but right now, it looks like a modest Macworld. Hope I'm wrong.
  • Reply 222 of 256
    Worst case: Apple continues with slow to market innovation and remains over-reliant on hits like iPod.

Best case: They don't.

IMO, I think Apple is getting way too comfy with the leadership position with iPod, and not striking faster and deeper into MS territory as long as they have the advantage. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Reply 223 of 256
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Worst case: Apple continues with slow to market innovation and remains over-reliant on hits like iPod.

Best case: They don't.

IMO, I think Apple is getting way too comfy with the leadership position with iPod, and not striking faster and deeper into MS territory as long as they have the advantage. I hope I'm wrong.

The iPod is now an entire platform in itself. Actually I like to think of iTunes as the Platform now.

Frontrow is basically a Graphical Shell that relies on 4 different Applications for it's 4 different Functions, and all of them are essentially backed by the Quicktime framework, except possibly DVD Player. I don't know about that one, I haven't actually opened it up.

Anyways, about iTunes being a platform, currently it relies on Quicktime for all of it's playback, and I believe it is the only syncing tool for the iPod. Through the interface you handle Notes, Calendars, Contacts, TV Shows, Movies, Podcasts, Music, Photos, and Software (Games). I suspect iTV will be taken care of through iTunes. It would make more sense anyways.

If Apple continues to make hardware that is based off of iTunes Content, (meaning anything in your iTunes Libraries, not just stuff from the iTunes store) then iTunes is essentially a Sync Center for Media playback devices, or as we know them, the iPod, iTV, and any speakers plugged into your Airport Express, and a couple of Motorola Phones. The iPhone, I tend to think will be mostly seperate from that, because Media Playback is far from being the most important thing to put in a phone. Not many people actually use their phones for playing music or video content, so it'd be pointless to use that as a selling point, or at least as the main one.

Sebastian
  • Reply 224 of 256
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    I know apple just updated their laptops, but it would be nice to have a better graphics card in both the macbook pro and macbook. The pro macbooks is behind in graphics memory and should have 1 gig of graphics memory. Also, it would be nice to have a blue ray drive.

But to do all this, they would probably have to make the laptops as big as the 18lb dell one.

Also in a 8 core mac pro, they should have a NVIDIA Quadro FX 5500 or two NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500.
  • Reply 225 of 256
    A gigabyte of graphics memory? Where can you get that aside from 19 inch 10 pound monsters with 2x 7900GSs? I could see them jump to 512 MB with a 8600 or a x2600 or something. But all this portable SLI madness is just crazy.
  • Reply 226 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

The Following was taken from one of my first posts on AI for the purpose of seeing if my opinion has changed much

Something like this:

-Recap since "It's Showtime"

-iWork, iLife, and .Mac Updates

-Leopard Features (It's OK now, the Vista code is finalized)

-iTV with it's True Name and launch details

-Just One More thing, Enter 6th Gen iPod (preferably with an Apology for iTunes and it's complete Beta code, no make that Alpha code, I've had Betas that were more stable then iTunes 7) with the possibility of a 1GB Nano (or similarly small update) or more RED Products just before the One More thing

-Before all of this I would expect some Airport Product updates, somewhere between now and a week before MWSF07

OK, about the iTunes 7 thing, apparently it's only buggy on PCs. This came a little before I bought my Macbook I think... well anyways it's quite stable on the Mac. Forget the Apology!

As for the idea of the 1 GB Nano, I based that entirely off of the 1 GB Nano they had before, but now that I've thought about it a little bit, there is no need for this. It still has 3 sizes, and the 2 GB Nano easily replaced the 1 GB Nano.

I've tried to picture a RED Macbook, and I for one just plain can't see it. It would probably be an abomination to the Mac, and that's not a good think.

I mentioned both the iTV and some Airport Product Updates. Personally I think the Airport Express could use an update, hopefully with the ability to use the Scanner in my HP All-In-One Printer without hooking it up to my Mac. The iTV strikes me as a sort of "Airport AV" though, so it's possible the iTV may receive Airport branding and features. The only problem I see with this is the high price tag and the fact that you may not have your TV AND your Printer in the same room.

I would like to say that I would love to see something completely new. Apple has 3 Platforms to walk on now, Mac, iPod, and Quicktime, so now I would like to see them expand a bit. I believe an iPhone is coming, but I have to see the 1.0 before I make judgement on whether it's for me or not.

I think a new Mac could be fitted into this, and if demand for a Mid Range Tower is large enough, that is one possibility. I just read an article about Mac Predictions, and it pretty much shot the idea of the Ultra think Mac. Specifically a quote, that apparently Apple made and I didn't know about, it seems Apple stated that they had no interest in making an Ultrathin design. Personally I really want to see a Mac Tablet. But it's not that high on my wishlist anymore because I find my Macbook is quite good for what I would need a Portable to do. I can do without the Touch Screen as well because I'm far to familar with a Keyboard, all the small things are always done with a quick Keystroke or a Shortcut.

Sebastian
  • Reply 227 of 256
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

The iPod is now an entire platform in itself. Actually I like to think of iTunes as the Platform now.

Frontrow is basically a Graphical Shell that relies on 4 different Applications for it's 4 different Functions, and all of them are essentially backed by the Quicktime framework, except possibly DVD Player. I don't know about that one, I haven't actually opened it up.

Anyways, about iTunes being a platform, currently it relies on Quicktime for all of it's playback

Three platforms, no?!?!

Macintosh

QuickTime

iPod

Next week could see the introduction of a fourth platform. Difficult to know for sure though until we see the iTV device introduced. It could be very close to the iPod and its platform or it could be something like a cross between an iPod and a Mac, in which case it would be a fourth platform. The introduction of a phone could possibly mean a fifth platform... OR... the iPod, the iTV and the phone could ALL be of a family in the iPod platform.

Regardless, QT is definitely Apple largest and farthest reaching platform that extends beyond anything that Microsoft has in terms of numbers. There are entire cellular providers that rely on Apple's QT and QT Server technologies (ie: Sprint PCS), there are millions and millions of cameras that ship with QT as the basis of communication (Canon and Kodak), CDs and DVDs (in fact, MPEG4 itself is essentially QT), and the internet is of course... ummm... heavily vested in QT too. Oh, and all iPods sold propagate the technology as well, on both Macs and PCs.
  • Reply 228 of 256
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Quote:

OK, about the iTunes 7 thing, apparently it's only buggy on PCs.

Some PCs. Every PC I've used and have been responsible for maintaining has had it running rock solid.

But the PC market is rife with users with .dll conflicts, screwed up registries, badly ripped MP3s, and mismatched hardware. It's hardly surprising problems occur.

There's also a lot of just plain anti-Apple FUD, which means every minor bug is automatically magnified by the blogosphere echo chamber into a major bug, as every opportunity to take potshots at Apple is exploited.

I was actually impressed by iTunes 7, on both platforms.
  • Reply 229 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rongold View Post

Three platforms, no?!?!

Macintosh

QuickTime

iPod

Next week could see the introduction of a fourth platform. Difficult to know for sure though until we see the iTV device introduced. It could be very close to the iPod and its platform or it could be something like a cross between an iPod and a Mac, in which case it would be a fourth platform. The introduction of a phone could possibly mean a fifth platform... OR... the iPod, the iTV and the phone could ALL be of a family in the iPod platform.

Regardless, QT is definitely Apple largest and farthest reaching platform that extends beyond anything that Microsoft has in terms of numbers. There are entire cellular providers that rely on Apple's QT and QT Server technologies (ie: Sprint PCS), there are millions and millions of cameras that ship with QT as the basis of communication (Canon and Kodak), CDs and DVDs (in fact, MPEG4 itself is essentially QT), and the internet is of course... ummm... heavily vested in QT too. Oh, and all iPods sold propagate the technology as well, on both Macs and PCs.

Yep, 3 platforms. Just one small correction before I move on, .mov and other Apple File Formats are essentially part of MPEG4, but MPEG4 is not Quicktime.

Anyways, the iTV WILL be under the iPod/iTunes platform, but will likely not receive it's branding. The "Phone" could be under the iPod/iTunes platform, but it depends on what Apple makes it. If they create a phone, with a closed development platform, stick iTunes in it, and call it a day (besides the actual hardware which will no doubt rock) then yeah, it could easily fall under that branding. If they make the "Phone" into an open development enviornment, and make it more a mini computer (the term Phone is quickly becoming outdated, that is likely the only thing I, the "phone" Manufacturers, and the Service Providers agree on) and create a fantastic service for it, then it could be a platform of it's own.

As for the facts about Quicktime, I did not know all of that...

I know Quicktime is at the core of pretty much every Media application on the Mac, and many of them on the PC, but I never knew that celluar providers used it's Server Technology, and camera makers. Thanks

Sebastian
  • Reply 230 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

Some PCs. Every PC I've used and have been responsible for maintaining has had it running rock solid.

But the PC market is rife with users with .dll conflicts, screwed up registries, badly ripped MP3s, and mismatched hardware. It's hardly surprising problems occur.

There's also a lot of just plain anti-Apple FUD, which means every minor bug is automatically magnified by the blogosphere echo chamber into a major bug, as every opportunity to take potshots at Apple is exploited.

I was actually impressed by iTunes 7, on both platforms.

Unfortunately I don't have the time or patience to learn the responsible way of doing way too much more maintenance then I need to. I switched to Mac because of this.

Perhaps Apple fixed a lot of the bugs, but one things for sure, I had quite a bit of trouble with iTunes 7 on my PC. I remember one night I had closed iTunes, and it kept opening up in the background. When Apple patched it, the Installer took far too long. In Computer Power User, they are absolutely ashamed of the performance they have been getting with iTunes 7, mind you these people know a hell of a lot more about PCs then I do, being hardcore modders. The performance of iTunes 7 is/was (I killed a lot of applications on there, not needing them anymore) absolutely abyssmal.

Oh well, personally I don't care about the performance of iTunes on a PC anymore.

Sebastian
  • Reply 231 of 256
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Yep, 3 platforms. Just one small correction before I move on, .mov and other Apple File Formats are essentially part of MPEG4, but MPEG4 is not Quicktime.

I think you are missing my point. I am not sure what you mean by the .mov and other Apple File Formats. MPEG-4 IS essentially QuickTime. Here are a few links :

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...12/ai_20331486

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...12/ai_20331478

http://www.mactech.com/news/?p=1000874

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime - scroll down to the part about MPEG-4

But that is mere semantics. The reason I bring this up is that this move would prove to leverage the broad adoption of QuickTime in the professional media space while providing a common target for the industry - a standard. It legitimized QuickTime. Something others at the time were dying for (ie: Microsoft).

The adoption of QuickTime as the basis of MPEG-4 served to boost the adoption of QuickTime in various facets, that was my point. That's was why I included this ISO adoption in the list. The only correction that I see is needed is that perhaps I should take it out of perenthesis in my list to give it more emphasis.
  • Reply 232 of 256
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/news/...id=6292&cid=10

300 GB 2.5" HDD are we going to see that in MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 233 of 256
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Itunes 7 is slightly buggy on my PC. I have to agree that they rushed it, and it could do with a minor patch. It is just little things, like the video not playing (audio works fine) after itunes has been running for a while. Probably wouldn't effect others too much, but I run itunes pretty much 24/7 cause the other people in my family which dont have 720gb of storage stream straight from my PC. Is still perfectly usable though, just have to take 20 seconds to close it and open it again.

Doubt we'll see a 300gb HDD in a Macbook pro. No reason other than that would put the storage capacities of said macbook above that of the low end imacs.
  • Reply 234 of 256
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pyriX View Post

Itunes 7 is slightly buggy on my PC. I have to agree that they rushed it, and it could do with a minor patch. It is just little things, like the video not playing (audio works fine) after itunes has been running for a while. Probably wouldn't effect others too much, but I run itunes pretty much 24/7 cause the other people in my family which dont have 720gb of storage stream straight from my PC. Is still perfectly usable though, just have to take 20 seconds to close it and open it again.

Doubt we'll see a 300gb HDD in a Macbook pro. No reason other than that would put the storage capacities of said macbook above that of the low end imacs.

So submit a bug report. I doubt Apple is over in Cupertino just testing away for all those PC bugs!
  • Reply 235 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rongold View Post

I think you are missing my point. I am not sure what you mean by the .mov and other Apple File Formats. MPEG-4 IS essentially QuickTime. Here are a few links :

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...12/ai_20331486

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...12/ai_20331478

http://www.mactech.com/news/?p=1000874

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime - scroll down to the part about MPEG-4

But that is mere semantics. The reason I bring this up is that this move would prove to leverage the broad adoption of QuickTime in the professional media space while providing a common target for the industry - a standard. It legitimized QuickTime. Something others at the time were dying for (ie: Microsoft).

The adoption of QuickTime as the basis of MPEG-4 served to boost the adoption of QuickTime in various facets, that was my point. That's was why I included this ISO adoption in the list. The only correction that I see is needed is that perhaps I should take it out of perenthesis in my list to give it more emphasis.

Heh, didn't mean to pick a fight over it, I have a rather nasty habit of correcting people though.

In the Wikipedia article I assume you mean this quote

Quote:

the QuickTime file format as the basis of the MPEG-4 Part 14 (.mp4) container standard.

There are 23 Parts in the MPEG-4 Standard, the Quicktime Movie format, not Quicktime, is the basis of part 14. And Yes I looked at the articles, they are still talking about that very thing though. But yes I received your point, regardless of whether Quicktime is MPEG-4 or not (which it's not )

Sebastian
  • Reply 236 of 256
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

So submit a bug report. I doubt Apple is over in Cupertino just testing away for all those PC bugs!

Oh, I've submitted several. I'm not bitching, becuase Itunes 7 is great for other compatiabilty things, like working 100% with the new Vista release. That and the fact that it is just so much superior to any other music playing application that any of its bad points just kinda fade to gray.
  • Reply 237 of 256
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    There has been a dearth of "confirmed" things we'll see at MacWorld.

What we pretty much know:

* Leopard will mostly likely be demoed

* iLife '07 may be demoed

That's about it.

Last year we had a pretty concrete idea by this time we would see an Intel Mac. And that it was going to be an iMac and a PowerBook (we didn't know until the last second that it was going to be called the MacBook Pro).

So we really have no clue what's coming. We can't even put a "lock" on iTV although it would seem logical, but AppleInsider is hedging a little bit, and they were pretty good predicting what was coming last year.
  • Reply 238 of 256
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I am pretty sure we will see iWork as well, esp. since Think Secret just published a new report with Numbers!
  • Reply 239 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Amen to that.

What do you mean?

um... what part didn't you get? Predicto? search the forums. MXM? go check out nVidia. It's a standard to let you upgrade the gpu in laptops. Socketed processor? hm... if that's it, ye better go visit Wiki.
  • Reply 240 of 256
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Last round of rumor mongerring

Definte :

----------------------

iWork 07 - kudos to Amazon

iLife 07 - kudos to amazon

iPod Video - upgrade

MacPro Octo

Possible

-----------

Redesigned MacBook Pro with HDDVD Or BluRay