For the fun of it, enter your Mock-ups for an Apple HD TV here!!

123468

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 153
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post


    What? You mean like cell phones?



    Apple just drew a line in the sand and said we're a general consumer electronics company not a computer company anymore. A mini-Sony.



    Will they make an apple branded HDTV? Its not a given but its not completely out in left field. No one else is going to be building a TV with iTV built in so if there's a market they'll have to be the ones that does the integration. There's nothing really odd about Apple having a couple HDTV models with integrated iTVs sitting in Apple stores that are OEM'd by some glass maker they have a relationship with for monitors anyway.



    With only one or two models their volumes should be high enough for a niche market and picking the right sizes they will have the margin they want. An no one else will have iTV built in and perhaps some specialized FrontRow integration for TV setup and tuner control.



    Vinea



    Not like cell phones.



    The iPhone is a natural extension of the iPod concept: that's where the competition is, and it allows apple to move into the hand held space with an embedded OS X, which has long been perceived as a necessary and inevitable move.



    A large screen display with a slot loading DVD and slimmed down OS X and internet functionality would be...... a less capable iMac.



    Apple TV makes it less, not more likely that Apple will stay out of the home theater display market, since it makes any display into an adjunct of the computer, which is clearly what Apple thinks is the way to go.



    It's the "hub" thing for the streaming video and video download age. Apple makes hubs, and hub extenders (the iPod and iPhone are portable hub extenders-- the real action is still on your desktop and they carry a subset of that functionality into the field). They don't make home theater receivers, they make Air Tunes. They don't make HD television sets, they make Apple TV.
  • Reply 102 of 153
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    A large screen display with a slot loading DVD and slimmed down OS X and internet functionality would be...... a less capable iMac.



    Not true, TV's are a different animal to computers. Apple TV is running an optimized version of Front Row, Front Row 2.0 if you will. Bare bones of OS X, but it's not OS X in the true sense. TV's, and more importantly Plasma TV's are nothing like computer displays. It's a different game, completely different game. Sony, probably the worlds biggest manufacturer of TV's announced recently that they are not going to be making any more computer displays ever. This is what I mean. It's different.



    PS, I hope Apple does something like a Plasma or an OLED, cause LCD's don't make great TV's. OLED is unproven tech, but you never know, and Plasma kicks the living crap out of LCD.
  • Reply 103 of 153
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I think an apple tv will come but making itv built into it might make it obsolete faster than if it was just a tv.
  • Reply 104 of 153
    Quote:

    Apple TV makes it less, not more likely that Apple will stay out of the home theater display market, since it makes any display into an adjunct of the computer, which is clearly what Apple thinks is the way to go.



    I gave up using the word 'impossible' or 'likely' with Apple a while back.



    With Apple these days? Anything is 'possible.'



    A better word for Apple? Intimidating, Innovative...



    I wouldn't be a phone rival...



    The iPhone put the writing on the wall for many of the things we take forgranted...



    Including TVs...



    Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 105 of 153
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    guys,

    A TV monitor is very unlikely to happen.

    I already posted the many reasons why is very unlikely. go back and read it if you are interested.



    one interesting thing from the keynote Quicktime was when Jobs show us a graphic of the sales of cell phones and other devices. The cell phones were almost a billion unit sales market and the mp3's and digital cameras wayyyyyyy behind. Now how much units per year a TV set sales are? wayyyy less. Why? first TVs (HDTV) are way more expensive and people tend to KEEP it for many years until upgrade it.

    Unlikely the iMac that is a computer, have a TV with AppleTV (iTV) on it makes even less sense for people to buy and have a piece of hardware that will be obsolete in couple of years and then have to buy it all over again. Come on guys is that so hard to see?



    It makes business $en$e for Apple to go after the cell phone market (people upgrade it constantly just like the iPod), it doesn't for the TV (HDTV) set market.



    A large Cinema Display with a possible TV capability is more likely than a stand alone Apple HDTV set or AIO IMHO.



    The AppleTV(iTV) is where I think Apple will develop their technology. To bring content to your TV set in the living room from your Mac. I see it as way more interesting thing to bring more switchers to the Mac and make you digital life style more complete.
  • Reply 106 of 153
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Not true, TV's are a different animal to computers. Apple TV is running an optimized version of Front Row, Front Row 2.0 if you will. Bare bones of OS X, but it's not OS X in the true sense. TV's, and more importantly Plasma TV's are nothing like computer displays. It's a different game, completely different game. Sony, probably the worlds biggest manufacturer of TV's announced recently that they are not going to be making any more computer displays ever. This is what I mean. It's different.



    PS, I hope Apple does something like a Plasma or an OLED, cause LCD's don't make great TV's. OLED is unproven tech, but you never know, and Plasma kicks the living crap out of LCD.



    Huh? Front Row is an app, not remotely a version of an OS, and doesn't have any bearing on if Apple were to make a TV, one way or the other.



    TVs are actually quite a bit like computer displays, and ever more so. The distinctions used to be resolution, progressive vs. interlaced, connectivity and tuners. Resolution and P vs I are no longer factors, connectivity is trivial and tuners are becoming something that happens in external boxes.



    But that still doesn't have any bearing on whether or not Apple could or should make a TV. The only question is whether Apple can bring anything to the table that would make such an item desirable, and whether or not they could sell enough of them to be worth the investment and shelf space.



    Talk of convergence notwithstanding, I still haven't seen a single reason, outside of "integrated front row", for why an Apple branded TV would be desirable. TVs display, they switch between inputs, they have some settings to tweak. Not really an elaborate technology crying out for Apple interface mojo. You don't really hear anyone saying "I would consider getting a plasma, but they're just so damn hard to use....."



    The hard part is the part that Apple is doing: organizing the digital media, providing ways to move it around, providing on-screen interface for same. It's called "Apple TV + Mac".



    Again, Apple TV provides everything you want in Apple inflected large screen displays, and it does it for every display out there.



    And, again, if the idea is that Apple starts putting more and more of the Apple TV + Mac experience into the display itself, then what you are moving towards is a watered down iMac, or a really huge screened full-on iMac.



    That may yet happen, but it sort of moots the idea of Apple making a large screen HT type display, since such a beast would be a new Apple living room appliance intended to bridge the whole computer/living room divide with an iPhone type graphic interface on top of an actual computer.



    So what I'm saying is that there is no reason for Apple to make "just" a large screen display, since that area is handled quite nicely by existing product and Apple TV adds the interconnectivity with Macs, and once you start moving beyond "just" a display, at least for Apple, you pretty quickly get into AIO computer territory which Apple already does.



    So will Apple make a really big iMac? Who know? But that's another conversation.
  • Reply 107 of 153
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Thanks Addabox!

    very good post.
  • Reply 108 of 153
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I don't know if Apple will make a TV but you got to admitt it's a bit more probable since keynote.
  • Reply 109 of 153
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    why? what happened there that makes it so probable?
  • Reply 110 of 153
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Apple seems to be evolving into a electronics company and away from computers. Doers that mean they will make a tv? Not necessarily but it seems more probable as they now are more than just a computer maker and have officially changed the name of the company to reflect this reality.
  • Reply 111 of 153
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    Apple seems to be evolving into a electronics company and away from computers. Doers that mean they will make a tv? Not necessarily but it seems more probable as they now are more than just a computer maker and have officially changed the name of the company to reflect this reality.



    Well, they're not just becoming a CE company in the general sense, wherein they must offer a version of all the things that, for instance, Sony makes. I can't see them making camcorders or printers or projectors or dvd players or, obviously, TVs. The iPhone doesn't change that, it clarifies it.



    What they will make are items that can leverage the power of their computer ecosystem to simplify the distribution, modification and creation of digital media. That's the common thread in everything they have done to date, and it makes great sense for Apple. Extend the ecosystem, sell more Macs as hubs, make Apple media handling software ubiquitous.



    So, DVR, or DVR functionality? Seems possible. Multifunction remote? Sure. Remotes are the perfect ground for Apple to step in and rethink how they work and what they do. Some kind of small tablet, based on a lot of the same tech as the iPhone? I think the iPhone definitely makes that more possible, although probably not in the way we expect.



    TV? Doesn't fit the matrix.
  • Reply 112 of 153
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Well, they're not just becoming a CE company in the general sense, wherein they must offer a version of all the things that, for instance, Sony makes. I can't see them making camcorders or printers or projectors or dvd players or, obviously, TVs. The iPhone doesn't change that, it clarifies it.



    What they will make are items that can leverage the power of their computer ecosystem to simplify the distribution, modification and creation of digital media. That's the common thread in everything they have done to date, and it makes great sense for Apple. Extend the ecosystem, sell more Macs as hubs, make Apple media handling software ubiquitous.



    So, DVR, or DVR functionality? Seems possible. Multifunction remote? Sure. Remotes are the perfect ground for Apple to step in and rethink how they work and what they do. Some kind of small tablet, based on a lot of the same tech as the iPhone? I think the iPhone definitely makes that more possible, although probably not in the way we expect.



    TV? Doesn't fit the matrix.



    What if you build the DVR and Apple TV into the HD display? Add in a smart remote. No I don't think they just make a TV.
  • Reply 113 of 153
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    What if you build the DVR and Apple TV into the HD display? Add in a smart remote. No I don't think they just make a TV.



    then after couple of years you have a whole obsolete set because of AppleTV and DVR.

    People like to keep their TVs longer. Specially if you pay good money for it. It's not like most computer and other consumer electronics that every two to 3 years you get a new one.

    That's an issue when you go AIO.

    Let's say imagine that tomorrow Apple makes a 50" HDTV with the current AppleTV(iTV) set up built-in it. then in 1 or 2 years they have a new AppleTV(iTV) with 1080p support. then guess what, you are stuck with and inferior product and your HDTV is just fine.
  • Reply 114 of 153
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post


    then after couple of years you have a whole obsolete set because of AppleTV and DVR.

    People like to keep their TVs longer. Specially if you pay good money for it. It's not like most computer and other consumer electronics that every two to 3 years you get a new one.

    That's an issue when you go AIO.

    Let's say imagine that tomorrow Apple makes a 50" HDTV with the current AppleTV(iTV) set up built-in it. then in 1 or 2 years they have a new AppleTV(iTV) with 1080p support. then guess what, you are stuck with and inferior product and your HDTV is just fine.



    How is that any different than buying an HDTV that only displays a max of 720p? Last I checked thay were selling just fine. Your points are valid but one must consider the advantages of AIO design which simplifies the experience for the user. There are pros and cons each way but we know Apple's view on this. They like AIO design.
  • Reply 115 of 153
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    sure, 720p are selling well. and they will continue. There are people who buys TVs that are not even HDTV, like standard res.

    AIO are great for some products like computers(iMac), some printer/fax/scanner combos, etc...

    The point I am making is why would you pay $3k to $7k for a great HDTV set (hi-end) and have a built-in that could make it obsolete sooner than later.

    Basicaly, I think anobody that's looking into purchase a hi-end HDTV wants it to last longer than 3 to 4 years.

    If Apple ever makes a HDTV will be an expensive item that somebody wants to keep for awhile.
  • Reply 116 of 153
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post


    sure, 720p are selling well. and they will continue. There are people who buys TVs that are not even HDTV, like standard res.

    AIO are great for some products like computers(iMac), some printer/fax/scanner combos, etc...

    The point I am making is why would you pay $3k to $7k for a great HDTV set (hi-end) and have a built-in that could make it obsolete sooner than later.

    Basicaly, I think anobody that's looking into purchase a hi-end HDTV wants it to last longer than 3 to 4 years.

    If Apple ever makes a HDTV will be an expensive item that somebody wants to keep for awhile.



    What's this, a collection of random thoughts?
  • Reply 117 of 153
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    don't you know how to read?

    I would think after 2,277 posts you have a grasp of how this forum works.

    just a hint, I am replying to my friend backtomac. do you get it now?
  • Reply 118 of 153
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy;


    There are people who buys TVs that are not even HDTV, like standard res.



    Maybe in the States, but not in Europe anymore, on any scale worth mentioning.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy;


    The point I am making is why would you pay $3k to $7k for a great HDTV set (hi-end) and have a built-in that could make it obsolete sooner than later.



    Those are some lofty prices there. So you saying they shouldn't make an all AIO TV because it will become obsolete eventually. TV with 'n' draft, TV Edition remote, Apple TV technology inside, a wonderful UI and user expirence, iTunes TV service with some live content. They'd make them cause they would sell, and they'd be great too.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy;


    I think anobody that's looking into purchase a hi-end HDTV wants it to last longer than 3 to 4 years.



    That's pretty obvious, and with this TV it could be updated on the software end over the net to make it pretty future-proof.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy;


    If Apple ever makes a HDTV will be an expensive item that somebody wants to keep for awhile.



    Actually I think the bigger Apple is getting, the more mainstream they are getting, and the fact that they have both such a big pulpit and an ever growing retail business. I think they would be able to price such an AIO device rather competitively, and yes people would want to keep them for a while.
  • Reply 119 of 153
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Ireland,

    I am glad we are agreeing at least on something.

    Just one comment:

    "Those are some lofty prices there" the prices mentioned are not that far out. Go to any website and look for 40" + HDTV hi-end, Pioneer, Sony and many others. $3K to $7k are pretty much what they cost for 1080p.

    Apple usually charge a premium for their products, so I would not be surprise if they ever come up with such TV they will charge accordingly.
  • Reply 120 of 153
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post


    , I am replying to my friend backtomac. :



    Well I'm glad you don't hate me because we disagree on this issue.
Sign In or Register to comment.