For the fun of it, enter your Mock-ups for an Apple HD TV here!!

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 153
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenacres View Post

I'm not sure if a side-loading slot would be the best way to implement the DVD drive - it wouldn't work well for a TV that's in an entertainment center without much breathing room. Maybe in the base would work better?

It's a bleedin' DVD, where there's a will there's a way.
  • Reply 142 of 153
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Agree with all of that accept the projector and the Bose parts; http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.ph...of_operation1/

Cool!

But now you convinced me even more that there will be a projector. Apple is obviously going for the whole ball of wax with this. If Apple did a projector they could even transfer the video wirelessly so all you would need to do is plop the puppy on a coffee table if you didn't want to mount it.

Projector settings are a pain in the tuckus for novices. They would likely make software so you could operate and adjust it via computer; similar to the airport.
  • Reply 143 of 153
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

True, as far as it goes, but I don't think anyone expects Apple to make a TV that includes everything you have or might plug into your TV, so an AppleTV AIO doesn't really address the rat's nest thing, except slightly.

Now, when we get to the point that we get all our media online, then, sure: an internet enabled TV with an elegant interface to navigate the web or a server and the ability to stream and store content locally makes perfect sense, since that would be the "whole widget".

But iTunes movies notwithstanding we are far from that day. People are still plugging VHS decks into their wide screen sets, they want to be able to hook up the camcorder, they have DVD players and cable boxes, some are already adding HD DVD/Blu-Ray boxes, etc

An AOI just adds a wireless option to the clutter, instead of eliminating it.

The only problem with that analysis is that we are talking about Apple. They won't wait until it is time and we "get to that point." Apple won't make "yet another TV." If/when Apple makes a TV at all it will have bells and whistles on it that you don't find elsewhere and that are on the cutting edge of elegance, features, and ease of use; that's what they do.

I do have serious doubts about the TV being internet enabled though, if for no other reason that it would cannibalize Mac sales. But I wouldn't be surprised if you could wirelessly transmit the desktop from your Mac to it.
  • Reply 144 of 153
    Apple won't be making the kind of TV you guys have been talking about any time soon. I don't say this to dash any dreams, they may pull out a large format TV / display, but there are far too many regional variables that would make everything else impractical. What about regional formats, Satellite TV, cable TV, freeview? Unless Apple were intending to supply all TV content on demand, but who wants to watch crappy US infomercials for "magic abs" in Holland! (Extreme example I know). I wouldn't want a built in DVD player. For one I have a very expensive AV setup that is far superior than anything Apple would be able to bundle into a display housing. Building components into a base wouldn't solve anything either as most people want to wall mount their displays.

I do agree that Apple, if they do bring out a TV panel, will make some radical technological advances (solid state laser, or OLED), but I think the display will be more of an extension to your Mac.. kind of like AppleTV with lots of additional AV inputs.
  • Reply 145 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Apple won't be making the kind of TV you guys have been talking about any time soon. I don't say this to dash any dreams, they may pull out a large format TV / display, but there are far too many regional variables that would make everything else impractical. What about regional formats, Satellite TV, cable TV, freeview? Unless Apple were intending to supply all TV content on demand, but who wants to watch crappy US infomercials for "magic abs" in Holland! (Extreme example I know). I wouldn't want a built in DVD player. For one I have a very expensive AV setup that is far superior than anything Apple would be able to bundle into a display housing. Building components into a base wouldn't solve anything either as most people want to wall mount their displays.

I do agree that Apple, if they do bring out a TV panel, will make some radical technological advances (solid state laser, or OLED), but I think the display will be more of an extension to your Mac.. kind of like AppleTV with lots of additional AV inputs.

So basically you're saying Apple will make a TV with Apple TV built-in, but they wont add a DVD player cause you have a better one? And that stuff about the base? I never mentioned the base. In the case of someone wall mounting their Apple TV (telly) the slot DVD player would make even more sense.
  • Reply 146 of 153
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

I can't see Apple selling a TV for $7,000, that's all I'm sayin'.

Nah, because by the time they do everyone in the world will be rich so we'd all be able to buy Apple HDTVs

Sebastian
  • Reply 147 of 153
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

So basically you're saying Apple will make a TV with Apple TV built-in, but they wont add a DVD player cause you have a better one? And that stuff about the base? I never mentioned the base. In the case of someone wall mounting their Apple TV (telly) the slot DVD player would make even more sense.

I know I have a better DVD Player when I don't have to worry about which region the DVD is encoded for.... unlike what I recently found out in "DVD Player"

Sebastian
  • Reply 148 of 153
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:

So basically you're saying Apple will make a TV with Apple TV built-in, but they wont add a DVD player cause you have a better one?

Yes. To some a built in DVD player may sound like a good idea. But to a HiFi / AV enthusiast it's the last thing you'd want.

Quote:

I never mentioned the base. In the case of someone wall mounting their Apple TV (telly) the slot DVD player would make even more sense.

I didn't say you did.
  • Reply 149 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Yes. To some a built in DVD player may sound like a good idea. But to a HiFi / AV enthusiast it's the last thing you'd want.

If you want a Blu-ray player then buy one, but this DVD player slot would be a nominal cost add-on to the price of an Apple Plasma TV. And yes, I do think they'll be plasma - anything but LCD. Plasma TV's blow LCD TV's away!
  • Reply 150 of 153
    But don't plasmas take a ridiculous amount of power?
  • Reply 151 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

But don't plasmas take a ridiculous amount of power?

Not like before, that has changed a lot. My sisters Panny has a standby of 2 watts, and a full power of around 160 I think. And a black level that whoops not only my Braiva, but my friends Pioneer plasma too.
  • Reply 152 of 153
    All other points aside, the paramount issue, as with all apple products, will be the creation of a "new", streamlined, aesthetic, friendly UI.

Reinvent the remote.

TV Specs are easy to argue about all day.

Does nothing for the average consumer the others can't do for less.

Reinventing the remote, as well as extremely easy integration with desktops/laptops/hiptops/iPhone, is the key.

Give the remote a "home button", a "red dot" laser pointer "mouse", and an extremely simple UI, and make it white again.

Justin Long makes a simple 30 second sell, using a laser pointer "TV" remote, utilizing "new-PIP" on a big screen between multiple tasks during the commercial time of a ballgame. email, webpages, etc., checks apple stock, and then.....back to the ballgame.....

John Hodgeman sitting next to him setting him up of course

...that may just be enough to get the MF off the ground in the minds of consumers.

Needs alot of work, but something along these lines:

"TV is the Internet"

...and of course the red-dot remote Hodgeman keeps wanting to get ahold of.
  • Reply 153 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

• Apple is focusing in what will drive Mac sales. Period. Ipod came to drive that, maybe the iPhone will do the same. The integration between software and hardware is what Apple wants to bring customers to switch to Macs.

Why would a television fall in this category? What benefit would an Apple TV bring to the table?

Cheers!

The integration between TV and Internet is coming. I predict apple beats others to the punch, and it's no Jab. First Punch KO.

Eventually, TV networks will offer search engines for their back catalog for their premium service. BOT...

Re-inventing the remote, and allowing the TV itself to interface and eventually dock todays desktop and tommorrows laptop/hiptop/iPhone, will revolutionize media worldwide. Limitless content, and toggling between TV/Internet/etc. is overdue. Apple can do this w/ a logical remote that doubles as TV/red-dot mouse.

And the free publicity will run the TV gauntlet with jokes about the red-dot laser pointer. From Fox in the Morning to Letterman.

We've spent all this time thinking how to make folks turn off their TV's.

Let them sit at their TV's.

Just give them a simple, friendly red-dot "Mouse" TV remote, and let them minimize and maximize with the USB keyboard on the end table while they sit.

Fade audio i/o min/max like iPhone as well.