Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 2181 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Most of us in the states would be more than happy with 10Mbps speed...... and this is more than enough for hidef content download/streaming service.

I guess 100/1000 Mbps would mean more than 10 or 100 different HiDef movie streaming simultaneously? We need faster CPU's..... even the 8 core mac pro will not be fast enough....
  • Reply 2182 of 4650
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Why do people keep talking like Australia matters?

Wow. What an incredibly douche-y remark.
  • Reply 2183 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Wow. What an incredibly douche-y remark.

WOW, I can't believe people are actually still bickering over this stupid topic. It;s over a year old. This is the second thread. There was one in 2006. You guys are like group of old hags in a sewing circle or something worse. The Democratic Party. Now there is a laugh. A party without a plan. Been trying to sell it for years while running the economy into the ground every time they are elected. The fools vote. Just keep selling it.
  • Reply 2184 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Ok, even though I agree with the political sentiments (generally) that you've just dropped in here, I've gotta ask... "What the hell man?"

Unless the Democratic Party officially supports a high-def disc standard there's almost no way that's relevant. It borders on trolling and it makes those of us with that opinion look rather pathetic.
  • Reply 2185 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Unless the Democratic Party officially supports a high-def disc standard there's almost no way that's relevant. It borders on trolling and it makes those of us with that opinion look rather pathetic.

LOL, I totally agree. I'm just so sick of this topic I tried to start a ruckus.
  • Reply 2186 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Why do people keep talking like Australia matters?

• Reply 2187 of 4650
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Quote:

Why do people keep talking like Australia matters? Everyone who wants to be in showbiz wants to get the hell out of Australia.

I'm green with envy about the broadband options available to Korea, Iceland and other heavily dense areas.

Downloads will eventually catch up to disc rentals and surpass for pricely the reasons Frank777 stated. Why deal with mailing and driving to stores when you have the same access and no worries about a movie being out of stock.

It's really a no brainer. A decade ago people would have laughed at you for prognosticating about music delivery via the internet.

Why do people keep talking like you matter you bloody gumboot.

I am a senior engineer for a Telco - the proposal here in Australia is for fibre to the Node, and they want to jack up the minimum connection rate (512kb/s) from the current wholesale rate of around $29/month to $59 per month. They own all the copper, wont let other people onto their exchanges, they are effectively a monopoly run by a villian (he used to run US west, maybe you've heard of him - Sol Trujillo). Add retail markup onto this and you have a prohibitively highly priced broadband service.

Your idea of movie downloads is quite a way off for a very large majority of the world. Remember China?? 5 yuan buys you the latest movie there.

It will eventually happen, sure, but its a long way off for most, and there is no way it will take over completely.
  • Reply 2188 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

JLL I know that with Blu-ray as the only option my access to foreign films will take a HUGE hit. Region Controls absolutely demolish the access to foreign films. Yes Disney and Fox and others want control for the mega titles but the small German flick or the burgoening movies from Korea and other places are likely to support regions even though they don't have the huge disty.

Regions on Blu-ray are optional, and currently there are no regions on Warner releases, Paramount releases, catalog titles from Lionsgate, catalog titles from Buena Vista (Disney) and more (and there are even new releases like Apocalypto without regions).
  • Reply 2189 of 4650
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Perhaps it has already been discussed here, but this is new to me. I don't know if it means anything for the ongoing battle.
  • Reply 2190 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

But it's definitely good to hear that Pany BMP-10a support TrueHD. 1 out of 3 is better than nothing.

Pioneer BDP-HD1 and BDP-94HD also decodes TrueHD, and so does the Sony BDP-S1.
  • Reply 2191 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Pioneer BDP-HD1 and BDP-94HD also decodes TrueHD, and so does the Sony BDP-S1.

Wow.... so....did they actually released new firmwares with TrueHD?... It took more than 7 months, but later is better than never.

Now, when would these 1st and 2nd gen model Blu-Ray players will have internet connectivity and BD-J profile 1.1/2.0 compliant? Probably..... never. Still 1 out of 3.... but better than nothing.
  • Reply 2192 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Something interesting if you venture outside this forum. Murch keeps saying here that he doesn't really care which format wins and he'll probably buy some Blu-ray movies as soon as the price drops low enough. But go to AVSforum and the real Murch comes out:

Quote:

I cannot support Blu-ray until

1. HD DVD dies

2. HD DVD passes the Event Horizon which guarantees its survival.

If I buy a Blu-ray movie it means to me that I'm buying into a system that wishes to limit me at the behest of the studio. It means that my access to movies abroad can be limited by my player. It means that I am presumed guilty before innocent and my BD+ cop will check constantly to ensure I'm not ripping the "poor" studio off.

Being neutral is a good thing for many but while I still have a bit of "piss n vinegar" let me be anti-establishment just a little bit longer.

• Reply 2193 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Something interesting if you venture outside this forum. Murch keeps saying here that he doesn't really care which format wins and he'll probably buy some Blu-ray movies as soon as the price drops low enough. But go to AVSforum and the real Murch comes out:

Hmm, yes...and I too am hearing rumblings that you (Murch) are a consultant for Toshiba...say it ain't so Murch...say it ain't so...

It would explain a good number of things, but say it ain't so...
  • Reply 2194 of 4650
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Now, when would these 1st and 2nd gen model Blu-Ray players will have internet connectivity and BD-J profile 1.1/2.0 compliant? Probably..... never. Still 1 out of 3.... but better than nothing.

Internet connectivity, are you serious? What good is it, let's be real. Any "bonus" anything that's kept on a server isn't going to be there forever and, we're not going to be checking our email. We don't need a nic on a player if the disc has enough space for the extras.

Seriously Tell me why we need a nic, and it better be good.
  • Reply 2195 of 4650
    I kind-of agree that downloading movies might be the wave of the future, think Microsoft, but for most of us it's going to be the far, far future. I'm still limping along on 768K DSL with no way to improve unless I go Comcast, which I really don't want to do. So dream on and if you do have superfast internet, count your blessings.

Given how slowly HD-DVD and BD titles are bring released, you have to wonder how committed studios are to the new formats. If the sales figure ratios we've seen kicked around, BD 70% or 60% to HD-DVD 30-40%, are accurate then what's keeping HD-DVD in the game is the inability of BD studios to release a large library of quality titles.

I'm enjoying my BD player and glad I jumped in when I did but, seriously, I think the average consumer would be nuts to buy a player until things sort themselves out. There's really no guarantee that either of the HD formats will even make it as a niche product let alone gain the traction needed to migrate to the consumer market.
  • Reply 2196 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Hmm, yes...and I too am hearing rumblings that you (Murch) are a consultant for Toshiba...say it ain't so Murch...say it ain't so...

That's funny. I've always figured you had business connections to the BR format, given your rapid-fire press releases blitzes in every thread.
  • Reply 2197 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomj View Post

Internet connectivity, are you serious? What good is it, let's be real. Any "bonus" anything that's kept on a server isn't going to be there forever and, we're not going to be checking our email. We don't need a nic on a player if the disc has enough space for the extras.

Seriously Tell me why we need a nic, and it better be good.

I do not set the specs for the BD-J profile 1.1/2.0. Go complain to those who did. If you're really interested to know why this and that..... try google.com.

I know I'd like the features...but I'm not sure if you would.
  • Reply 2198 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

That's funny. I've always figured you had business connections to the BR format, given your rapid-fire press releases blitzes in every thread.

None whatsoever. I work for an airline company as a Microsoft SMS administrator. We're primarily a Microsoft run shop with thousands of systems around the world...thus why I want to see Microsoft far...far away from my home theatre, especially when their essentially going it alone with Toshiba.

I just don't let Sony hatred blind me to the fact that the BDA is comprised of the majority of the industry.
  • Reply 2199 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

I do not set the specs for the BD-J profile 1.1/2.0. Go complain to those who did. If you're really interested to know why this and that..... try google.com.

I don't think he's complaining about whether it becomes part of the BD spec. He's more angry about why HD DVD supporters keep calling this some kind of great feature and an advantage for that format. I have to agree with him that neither format really needs it.
  • Reply 2200 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I don't think he's complaining about whether it becomes part of the BD spec. He's more angry about why HD DVD supporters keep calling this some kind of great feature and an advantage for that format. I have to agree with him that neither format really needs it.

I know I'd like the features...but I'm not sure if you would.