Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 2501 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Because your speculation is unbelievably unlikely. But you're entitled to your opinion.

As for price: Low price is not always good. It's often a sign of desperation, which is exactly what I think is happening with HD-DVD. Ask yourself...why is HD-DVD coming down in price so much more quickly and dramatically? It's because they have to. It's getting it's ass kicked in content 2 and 3 to 1 every week, no matter what they throw at it...from better interactive features, to lower price, to the kitchen sink. Nothing is helping. The sales trend has been the same for months. More and more tech folks (reviewers, pundits, etc) are calling for it to end. Sure, Toshiba and Universal can throw millions at it and drag it out for another two or three years, but why? It would be better at this point if they just surrendered. It would be better for all of us.

Let me ask you: What is the best possible outcome in all of this for HD-DVD? You don't really see it "winning" do you?

Low pricing is often a sign of heavy competition, low pricing is often a sign of manufacturing efficiencies, low pricing is often a sign of of strategy. There are nigh infinite potential reasons for lower pricing. If you wish you hypothesis to carry more weight then we would certainly need more than your "speculation" here SDW2001. What you think is valid as an opinion but you have not proven your hypothesis with substantive and supportive 3rd party data. We all have opinions and alone neither is worth more than the other.

Nice editorial but in the end I know nothing more of the situation than before. You've provided no nuggets of information. At least Marzetta7 has links and whatnot.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Even the HD DVD fans themselves have given up on HD DVD winning, they now want HD DVD to co exist with Blu-ray through dual format players which is their hope now...

I think you'll find that HD DVD owners don't respond monolithically. We're not some "collective" that is Borg like in mentality. Some people feel like a win is possible others think co-existence is the more likely solution. It all boils down to getting the content you want to watch.
  • Reply 2502 of 4650
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

LOL.... You're so pro-blue(I'm sure you're not alone)..... you can only see what you would want to see and I can respect the fact that you're entitled to you own speculations, once again....

As for your last question, I do see greater chance for HD-DVD to win now than begining of this year. Especially with current hardware price drop breaking the $200 barrier, I see format war heating up even more and I would expect HD-DVD to come out on top by the year end. Off course, $199 PS3 may turn the table, but I really don't see such suicide promotions by the year end from Sony.

So, yes... I really see HD-DVD having stronger chance of winning with latest momentum. Of course, this is my personal view right now. Well.... If Sony, all of a sudden, rolls out a secret $199 Blu-Ray player within a month or two, then I would re-evaluate the my speculations.......... let me know when they do.

I see what's happening. I see sales trends that you cannot deny. I see nothing getting better for HD-DVD since the PS3 was launched. They've cut prices, offered promotions, made a good marketing run and what not. But the Disc Sales are the key, and HD-DVD is getting its ASS kicked.

And this is why I laugh at your answer. You speak of wishful thinking and seeing what you want, which is incredibly ironic. If price cuts haven't worked yet (players have come down almost 50%) why would they work now? What is the magic point?

The "momentum" is ALL blu-ray at this point. They had audience members yelling at Universal last week to go blu-ray for christ's sake. I understand HD-DVD may come back and win, but there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest it's going to happen.
  • Reply 2503 of 4650
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Low pricing is often a sign of heavy competition, low pricing is often a sign of manufacturing efficiencies, low pricing is often a sign of of strategy. There are nigh infinite potential reasons for lower pricing. If you wish you hypothesis to carry more weight then we would certainly need more than your "speculation" here SDW2001. What you think is valid as an opinion but you have not proven your hypothesis with substantive and supportive 3rd party data. We all have opinions and alone neither is worth more than the other.

Nice editorial but in the end I know nothing more of the situation than before. You've provided no nuggets of information. At least Marzetta7 has links and whatnot.

I think you'll find that HD DVD owners don't respond monolithically. We're not some "collective" that is Borg like in mentality. Some people feel like a win is possible others think co-existence is the more likely solution. It all boils down to getting the content you want to watch.

What in God's name are you talking about? I'm merely suggesting that price cuts may not be a good sign. I'm not trying to "prove" anything.
  • Reply 2504 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I see what's happening. I see sales trends that you cannot deny. I see nothing getting better for HD-DVD since the PS3 was launched. They've cut prices, offered promotions, made a good marketing run and what not. But the Disc Sales are the key, and HD-DVD is getting its ASS kicked.

And this is why I laugh at your answer. You speak of wishful thinking and seeing what you want, which is incredibly ironic. If price cuts haven't worked yet (players have come down almost 50%) why would they work now? What is the magic point?

The "momentum" is ALL blu-ray at this point. They had audience members yelling at Universal last week to go blu-ray for christ's sake. I understand HD-DVD may come back and win, but there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest it's going to happen.

Blah Blah Blah "I see dead people" LOL Who are you Kreskin?

There is no "Magic Point" as the price goes down the sales go up. They are in many ways inversely proportional.

The end game isn't to win for most people it's to get the HD content they want on the player they have.
  • Reply 2505 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Low pricing is often a sign of heavy competition, low pricing is often a sign of manufacturing efficiencies, low pricing is often a sign of of strategy.

Strategy? What strategy? Toshiba gave a $100 rebate. Then the rebate offer ended. Then a week later they permanently lowered the price. That's not strategy. That's just saying, "Oh, we just can't sustain sales at the higher price so we'd better lower it again."
  • Reply 2506 of 4650
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Im still waiting for Protein-coated disc's that can store up to 50tb of data. One commercial version will supposedly come out this year but it will be very very expensive.

Either that or when scientists stabilizing ferroelectric materials and we can store 12.8 Petabyte's on the area the size of cubic centemeter of water.

Quote:

The first commercially-available Petabyte Storage Array was launched by the EMC Corporation in January 2006, with an approximate cost of USD 4 million.

• Reply 2507 of 4650
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Since all sides of this debate must be following associated technologies closely, can someone tell me if the problems that have occurred with HDMI are in the past? I mean stuff like compatibility problems between two HDMI devices, the availability of cheap amps that can handle multiple HDMI in, etc.

For computers, there still aren't any graphics chips on the market (with the possible exception of ATi's R600) that support HDCP HDMI with 1080p and sound. And you cannot retroactively do anything besides swapping a graphics card (on those computers where that's possible) to get playback. Unless I'm mistaken, that means no current or past Apple computer can be expected to play these disks, ever - well, a Mac Pro could once a suitable graphics card is released for it and you swap it in. On the Windows side, laptop owners are out of luck and desktop owners need to upgrade (or downgrade, as it may well turn out) their graphics.

Have I misunderstood something? If not, when will these formats work fully on a computer (Win/Mac/Linux) by adding a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive? I don't think that's an insignificant question anymore, these days so many are using their computers to watch movies.
  • Reply 2508 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Strategy? What strategy? Toshiba gave a $100 rebate. Then the rebate offer ended. Then a week later they permanently lowered the price. That's not strategy. That's just saying, "Oh, we just can't sustain sales at the higher price so we'd better lower it again."

Makes sense. I think the extension of 5 free movies for HD DVD and the new MSRP are admissions that pricing needs to come down. Ditto for the PS3 getting a price cut and tossing in 5 free movies as well. It really shows how consumers are relatively happy with DVD and HD via sat or cable.

Both formats are dropping their drawers. Blu-ray has a lead in media sales but how many sales have they had to do to get here? How many "Buy 1 disc get xxx" have they had? Enough that I look at a certain percentage of their media sales suspectly as they've done a fair share of giving away titles that count in Videoscan results.
  • Reply 2509 of 4650
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

Makes sense. I think the extension of 5 free movies for HD DVD and the new MSRP are admissions that pricing needs to come down. Ditto for the PS3 getting a price cut and tossing in 5 free movies as well. It really shows how consumers are relatively happy with DVD and HD via sat or cable.

Both formats are dropping their drawers. Blu-ray has a lead in media sales but how many sales have they had to do to get here? How many "Buy 1 disc get xxx" have they had? Enough that I look at a certain percentage of their media sales suspectly as they've done a fair share of giving away titles that count in Videoscan results.

Free discs do not count in the Neilson numbers...
  • Reply 2510 of 4650
    Quote:

Free discs do not count in the Neilson numbers...

Correct and I did not mention that they did.
  • Reply 2511 of 4650
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    The only thing HD DVD can do is lower prices for their only standalone players by Toshiba, no other company wants to make standalone players for HD DVD, meanwhile Blu-ray gets positive news everyday, Denon just annouced a player on the way and a new studio just got on board....Which side do you think companies that haven't got in will support, the side that's winning or the side that's losing...
  • Reply 2512 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

The only thing HD DVD can do is lower prices for their only standalone players by Toshiba, no other company wants to make standalone players for HD DVD, meanwhile Blu-ray gets positive news everyday, Denon just annouced a player on the way and a new studio just got on board....Which side do you think companies that haven't got in will support, the side that's winning or the side that's losing...

Denon was popular choice in the enthusiast DVD player market because of their Universal players, but not for thier Standalone DVD only players. Denon's popular products are 29xx/39xx/59xx series Universal players, which keeps me guessing that 3800 would be standalone Blu-Ray only player while the variations of 29xx/39xx/59xx would be the universal/combo players which would play both HiDef formats in the future. Time will tell....
  • Reply 2513 of 4650
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Gott in Himmel, Walter !!

One of those hurky great power suckeers is the last thing I'd want to have, but that's just me o'course.

And yup it's got YAFR ! (yet another fucking remote). Will it never end ... remotes, boooo
  • Reply 2514 of 4650
    Quote:

http://technabob.com/blog/2007/03/25...-on-the-cheap/

Venturer SHD-7000 coming

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/06/o...-the-dv-hd805/

Onkyo HD805 coming

http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet..._announce.html

Liteon will be making a player and OEM bare mechanisms

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/12/s...player-on-the/

Sansung BD-UP5000

http://www.hometheatermag.com/discplayers/0307lgbdhd/

LG BH100

Still waiting for the players from 3-4 other vendors based off of Win CE and the Broadcom 7440 chip. I believe you said

Quote:

no other company wants to make standalone players for HD DVD

Kid you're Minor League talent trying to play in the Big Leagues. When you state something try to make sure that it takes longer than 5 minutes to debunk.
  • Reply 2515 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Venturer SHD-7000 coming

No release date or details 4 months after the announcement. Might happen but currently vapor.

Onkyo HD805 coming

A Toshiba rebadge with tweaks.

Oddly...not on the market yet after a year. LiteOn stopped making set top DVD players so don't bank on this one appearing.

Samsung BD-UP5000

Combo that isn't on the market yet.

LG BH100

Hey you found one...a combo drive.

Quote:

Kid you're Minor League talent trying to play in the Big Leagues. When you state something try to make sure that it takes longer than 5 minutes to debunk.

Suggest you take the same advice. Other than combo players it seems Toshiba is still kinda lonely. CE companies aren't beating down their door to build HD-DVD players. Especially given they've been trashing the price.

Vinea
  • Reply 2516 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Gott in Himmel, Walter !!

One of those hurky great power suckeers is the last thing I'd want to have, but that's just me o'course.

And yup it's got YAFR ! (yet another fucking remote). Will it never end ... remotes, boooo

TWO remotes I think you'll find! it is a bit on the big side, but I've been holding off on upgrading my AV amp for the last few years, between cash restrictions and waiting to future proof as much as possible, so seeing all those connectors just made my eyes water DEFINITELY future proof! however something smaller would do me if I'm honest.
  • Reply 2517 of 4650
    Quote:

Thank you.

Now that we all "agree" that player cost isnt going to shift any more or less units, can we just drop this as a claim for or against either format?

Quote:

I think you'll find that HD DVD owners don't respond monolithically. We're not some "collective" that is Borg like in mentality.

you sure? maybe the collective havent knocked at your door yet? be afraid be VERY afraid!!
  • Reply 2518 of 4650
    Quote:

Correct and I did not mention that they did.

No? but you IMPLIED as much.
  • Reply 2519 of 4650
    Quote:

http://technabob.com/blog/2007/03/25...-on-the-cheap/

Venturer SHD-7000 coming

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/06/o...-the-dv-hd805/

Onkyo HD805 coming

http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet..._announce.html

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/12/s...player-on-the/

Sansung BD-UP5000

http://www.hometheatermag.com/discplayers/0307lgbdhd/

LG BH100

Still waiting for the players from 3-4 other vendors based off of Win CE and the Broadcom 7440 chip. I believe you said

5 mins to debunk eh? are any of those IN SHOPS NOW? you have been pushing the coming soon wagon for the last 6 months, but where are they?

There ARE BD players (and recorders) from other manufacturers avalible NOW which nobody can deny, which nobody can deny (etc.) but we are all still waiting on HD-DVD players for manufacturers OTHER than Toshiba until they arrive, many would say HD-DVD is a proprietary format.

Incidentally I thought you would have been all over the fact that the Toshiba proprietary format HD-DVD is now shipping an HD-DVD-R recorder in one of its laptops AT LAST good for them I say.

DAMN missed the post from vinea
  • Reply 2520 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Now that we all "agree" that player cost isnt going to shift any more or less units, can we just drop this as a claim for or against either format?

I dunno...if HD-DVD can get to $99 players by XMas they have a good shot at winning since I don't think the BD folks would be willing to match that low that quickly. That's one advantage Toshiba has with so few CE supporters. The profits they kill are pretty much only their own.

That sure would make the Chinese happy. The Japanese, not so much.

You can call it a strategy as much as you can call a desert peace ("They make a desert and call it peace" Tacitus).

Vinea