Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 2541 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Yes you did. You talked about media sales. Where do you think we've been getting the media sales data?

Show me.
  • Reply 2542 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

I totally disagree. Players have already come down 50% and it hasn't helped at all. Blu-ray is still winning as much as it was 6 months ago. In other words, it doesn't seem that blu-ray has to cut prices to keep up, now does it? You're proceeding from a false assumption...that both formats must have equal pricing.

Cutting prices too far may actually backfire. The perception may become that HD-DVD is on it's way out. And really...what if that doesn't work? Are they going to cut them down to $49? You reach the point of diminishing returns, or so I would think. I also have to wonder if even Toshiba can continue with lower prices like that. They have deep pockets, but at $99 they can't be making much money, considering that prices were $300-400 6 months ago.

The first gen HD-DVD players were a PC running on P4 2.5GHz which was made in Japan. However, the second Gen players were more close to CE hardware with cheaper parts being made in China. I'm sure there is a big difference in cost between these hardware and assembly cost.

Anyway, the recent price drops and special promotions to $199 HD-DVD players will influence the numbers for the next quarter. Eitherway, I'm just curious why you're so worried about cheaper HD-DVD players...... which should benefit consumers and that's what matters.

BTW, the only HD-DVD player that drops steeply in price is the HD-A2, which was probably designed in the being as a bait/lure for the fence sitters. However, the higher end HD-XA2 has been retaining it's price and has gone up from the lowest price point couple months back.
  • Reply 2543 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yeah I suppose the BDA will count those 200 discs as sales.

I bet you that if you go scan through the PS3 classified forums, you may be able find the teenagers who did this.

I guess it's Sony's fault for not giving away 5 free BD movies from the begining.... Now some kids are taking matters into thier own hands..... LOL...
  • Reply 2544 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Yes Vinea and the multiplicity of Blu-ray STB vendors combined don't more players in the market than Toshiba. Think about that...Philips, Samung, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic all have sold such few players they haven't usurped Toshibas venerable STB lineup.

It's equally hard to attract new vendors to Blu-ray when your players cannot even exceed the quality of a PS3 easily at under $499.

True the split is 60-40 which isn't so impressive for HD-DVD's price advantage but also due to that price advantage the revenue is likely around the same and the profits higher.

BluRay vendors may wish more volume but they aren't looking at competing with $199 players either.

Vinea
  • Reply 2545 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I totally disagree. Players have already come down 50% and it hasn't helped at all. Blu-ray is still winning as much as it was 6 months ago. In other words, it doesn't seem that blu-ray has to cut prices to keep up, now does it? You're proceeding from a false assumption...that both formats must have equal pricing.

Cutting prices too far may actually backfire. The perception may become that HD-DVD is on it's way out. And really...what if that doesn't work? Are they going to cut them down to $49? You reach the point of diminishing returns, or so I would think. I also have to wonder if even Toshiba can continue with lower prices like that. They have deep pockets, but at $99 they can't be making much money, considering that prices were $300-400 6 months ago.

The point is at $99 a "mass market" threshold number. Dropping from $500 to $250 doesn't cross that threshold.

Folks will pick it up if the only alternatives are $399 blu-ray players that are still above that pain threshold. Just like dropping down to $499 stimulates some PS3 sales but not like dropping down to Wii/PS2 pricing would in terms of widespread purchasing.

Vinea
  • Reply 2546 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Target stores to give boost to Blu-ray DVD format

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/348/story/101449.html

Quote:

LOS ANGELES --Target Corp., the nation's second-largest retailer, will start selling a Sony Blu-ray high-definition DVD player during the critical holiday shopping period and feature the player along with DVDs in the format in store displays, dealing a potential blow to the rival HD DVD format.

The move, which the companies will formally announce Thursday, is another step in resolving a format war that has kept confused consumers from rushing to buy new DVD players until they can determine which format will dominate the market.

Target will sell the Sony BDP-S300 for $499 in October and display it along with Blu-ray DVDs from three studios, including Sony and The Walt Disney Co., at the ends of store aisles.

The Target announcement came five weeks after a decision by video rental chain Blockbuster Inc. to offer only Blu-ray titles when it expands its high-def offerings this fall.

Blu-ray is backed by Sony Corp., which developed it. Most Hollywood studios are releasing films either exclusively in Blu-ray or together with the rival HD DVD format, which is backed by its developer, Toshiba Corp.

Only Universal Studios, a unit of General Electric Corp., is releasing films exclusively in HD DVD.

Both formats offer a crisper, brighter high definition picture as well as more storage that allows interactive features and games to be packaged with movies.

Consumers have been slow to embrace either format, worried they might get stuck with a losing technology.

Target does not sell high-def DVD players in its stores, although it does sell a Toshiba player for $299 on its Web site

Target stores do sell an HD DVD add-on for the Microsoft X-Box 360 as well as Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3, which comes with a Blu-ray player built in.

Target would not say why it decided to sell only Blu-ray players. Sony is paying a fee to have their products featured in the end-of-aisle display, called an endcap, although Sony executives said the retailer contacted them about the decision.

"We are not proclaiming one format vs. the other as the preferred consumer technology, and software will continue to be available to our guests in both the Blu-ray and HD-DVD format," Target spokeswoman Brie Heath said.

Target will track customer feedback and adjust offerings as necessary, Heath said.

The HD DVD camp was not fazed by the Target decision, pointing out that HD DVD players continue to outsell Blu-ray players, which are at least twice the cost. They also point out that HD DVD players and DVDs are featured in endcap displays in Circuit City and Best Buy stores.

HD DVD promoters also contend that consumers are more influenced by price than product selection.

"HD DVD players are the most affordable," said Ken Graffeo, co-president of the North American HD DVD Promotional Group. "It's one thing to have a player featured, but it's another if it doesn't sell."

While more titles are available in the Blu-ray format, this fall should provide a head-to-head contest between the two formats.

Two blockbuster films - "Spider-Man 3," from Sony and "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" from Disney - will be available exclusively on Blu-ray.

The HD DVD camp will be counting on sales of the blockbuster film "300," from Warner Bros., which will be released in both formats, and the first season of the popular sci-fi TV show "Heroes," which will be available exclusively on HD DVD.

WOW!!! OUUUUUUUUUUUUCH! That's got to hurt HD DVD! First Blockbuster, now Target...what's next...emmm, maybe Wal-mart. Sorry HD DVD I'm thinking you're finished.
  • Reply 2547 of 4650
    This graphic will change dynamically but it's still relevant.

Didn't I read some blather about a 2:1 advantage in sales? Not this week.

Blu-ray -Avg rank of Top 10- #134

HD DVD-Avg rank of Top 10- #171

We're still here and growing stronger.
  • Reply 2548 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Typical. Why don't you show all the graphs, Murch? You only show the one for the top ten ranking. The top 25 and top 100 still show very substantial gaps. How can you be taken as credible when you so carefully pick and choose information?

Here's a question: Where's GE in all this? They've always made VCRs and DVD players. Why isn't the parent company of Universal making HD DVD players?
  • Reply 2549 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Target stores to give boost to Blu-ray DVD format

WOW!!! OUUUUUUUUUUUUCH! That's got to hurt HD DVD! First Blockbuster, now Target...what's next...emmm, maybe Wal-mart. Sorry HD DVD I'm thinking you're finished.

How would that hurt HD-DVD?.... Taget sells $499 Sony BD player....and......... You think Target would sell more BD Player at $499 than Best Buy or Circuit City can?

Am I missing something?....... What happens when Target start selling HD-DVD players for $199?....

BTW, Target stocks both HD-DVD and BD movies, not a great selection, but it's there.
  • Reply 2550 of 4650
    Quote:

This graphic will change dynamically but it's still relevant.

Didn't I read some blather about a 2:1 advantage in sales? Not this week.

Blu-ray -Avg rank of Top 10- #134

HD DVD-Avg rank of Top 10- #171

We're still here and growing stronger.

LOL.... I've stop looking at this ranking stuff for awhile...... but since you brought it up, I'll go order some HD-DVD at amazon now..... 300 here I come...
  • Reply 2551 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Typical. Why don't you show all the graphs, Murch? You only show the one for the top ten ranking. The top 25 and top 100 still show very substantial gaps. How can you be taken as credible when you so carefully pick and choose information?

Here's a question: Where's GE in all this? They've always made VCRs and DVD players. Why isn't the parent company of Universal making HD DVD players?

No points for second place. The second tier, Top 25 and Top 100 aren't good for putting your finger on the pulse of HDM.

The Top 10 is all about what's hot right now!
  • Reply 2552 of 4650
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    First signs of blu-ray and hd-dvd spreading to more Blockbuster stores. We got copies of 300 on both mediums (for sale). There is one store in our market testing both for rent, but this is the first sign of movement into other stores. It looks like they are really pushing hi-def disc sales with 300. And at $5 more a disc, I don't see 300 magically out selling on hd-dvd over blu-ray. That might help point people towards blu-ray, possibly thinking that the format will be less expensive for most cases.
  • Reply 2553 of 4650
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

The first gen HD-DVD players were a PC running on P4 2.5GHz which was made in Japan. However, the second Gen players were more close to CE hardware with cheaper parts being made in China. I'm sure there is a big difference in cost between these hardware and assembly cost.

Anyway, the recent price drops and special promotions to $199 HD-DVD players will influence the numbers for the next quarter. Eitherway, I'm just curious why you're so worried about cheaper HD-DVD players...... which should benefit consumers and that's what matters.

BTW, the only HD-DVD player that drops steeply in price is the HD-A2, which was probably designed in the being as a bait/lure for the fence sitters. However, the higher end HD-XA2 has been retaining it's price and has gone up from the lowest price point couple months back.

What does that bold faced part mean? I suppose that's a vague prediction...vague enough to make you right if they sell 1,000 more players than they did last quarter. The price cuts haven't helped yet. I'll believe they've worked when I see media sales change accordingly.
  • Reply 2554 of 4650
    Quote:

Show me.

You're just being silly now.
  • Reply 2555 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

The point is at $99 a "mass market" threshold number. Dropping from $500 to $250 doesn't cross that threshold.

Folks will pick it up if the only alternatives are $399 blu-ray players that are still above that pain threshold. Just like dropping down to $499 stimulates some PS3 sales but not like dropping down to Wii/PS2 pricing would in terms of widespread purchasing.

Vinea

But that's the point I made earlier...why is $99 the magic number? I can see some reasons it might be, but my feeling is that people still consider HD video a premium/luxury product, so to speak. The problem is you're going after the wrong market there, a market different from what the manufacturers wanted when these formats came out. They were all about picture quality and features, not winning a price war.

A $99 price point might entice some consumers who would otherwise by an SD player. But then that consumer has to consider upgrading their library. Such a price conscious person is not going to make the switch. No, the people buying these products are people who want a better viewing experience and are willing to pay to get it. A $99 mass market assault is likely premature at this point. Granted, players will commonly get that cheap, but by that time one format will be the defacto standard.
  • Reply 2556 of 4650
    What? Price isn't everything? Are you saying people wouldn't buy a $7000 Yugo SUV?

And of course Murch fails to mention that the top 10 swung a little bit toward HD DVD this week because there were four new releases this past week while Blu-ray had none. I'll match Murch's "guarantee that 300 will sell more on HD DVD" with a guarantee of my own. I guarantee he won't mention this chart when HD DVD takes its inevitable nosedive, which it does on that chart with stunning regularity. Just click on "show all" to see the rollercoaster that is HD DVD sales.
  • Reply 2557 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

How would that hurt HD-DVD?.... Taget sells $499 Sony BD player....and......... You think Target would sell more BD Player at $499 than Best Buy or Circuit City can?

Am I missing something?....... What happens when Target start selling HD-DVD players for $199?....

BTW, Target stocks both HD-DVD and BD movies, not a great selection, but it's there.

Hmm, let me think...Target, hmm, in the top 5 of global retailers, wlll be offering a Blu-ray player and Blu-ray promotions in store EXCLUSIVELY...you can connect the dots I think.

You can continue to choose to ignore the domino effect of the Blockbuster announcement--with several smaller studios jumping on the Blu-ray bandwagon, and with Denon releasing a Blu-ray player, MGM and Fox starting to make releases once again, and now Target selling Blu-ray exclusively in the store, or you may choose to continue to spin and try to downplay this announcement's significance, but we all can see what is happening in the market now--a steady and ever-increasing Blu-ray trend. And no amount of poo-pooing on your part is going to change this trend. Sorry, but it is still not too late to sell you player on eBay and try and break almost even...

Are you missing something? Obviously.
  • Reply 2558 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Hmm, let me think...Target, hmm, in the top 5 of global retailers, wlll be offering a Blu-ray player and Blu-ray promotions in store EXCLUSIVELY...you can connect the dots I think.

You can continue to choose to ignore the domino effect of the Blockbuster announcement--with several smaller studios jumping on the Blu-ray bandwagon, and with Denon releasing a Blu-ray player, MGM and Fox starting to make releases once again, and now Target selling Blu-ray exclusively in the store, or you may choose to continue to spin and try to downplay this announcement's significance, but we all can see what is happening in the market now--a steady and ever-increasing Blu-ray trend. And no amount of poo-pooing on your part is going to change this trend. Sorry, but it is still not too late to sell you player on eBay and try and break almost even...

Are you missing something? Obviously.

I don't know what you read, but the link you provided has no statement of BD exclusivity at Target. The article states that $499 Sony BD player will be stocked at Target by fall. Target also stocks $49.99 DVD players....

Perhaps, your virtual obsession in BD is connecting the wrong dots....
  • Reply 2559 of 4650
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I don't know what you read, but the link you provided has no statement of BD exclusivity at Target.

I still don't understand this heat about the "HD format war" but anyway, I think he means exclusivity in the players with respect to HD-DVD and not wih respect to anything else available. Here is the quote form the article:

Quote:

Target would not say why it decided to sell only Blu-ray players.

Emphasis mine. "Only" is the magic word. FWIW.
  • Reply 2560 of 4650
    Quote:

I don't know what you read, but the link you provided has no statement of BD exclusivity at Target.

Read it again. The article does specifically say, "Target does not sell high-def DVD players in its stores, although it does sell a Toshiba player for $299 on its Web site...Target would not say why it decided to sell only Blu-ray players." Sounds like hardware exclusivity in the stores to me.

And there are already unconfirmed reports that Target is planning to remove HD DVD disks from its stores in Q4. Maybe they're true, maybe not. I think the smart money would be on true. Target wouldn't waffle back and forth. This promotion is likely the first step to format exclusivity.