Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 2581 of 4650
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

http://www.cybereality.com/images/hddvd_creeping_up.jpg

Thanks to Cybereality for the pic

Sorry, but this is just 6 days of data. Am I missing something here?
  • Reply 2582 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

The new Samsung Duo/Combo player fully complies with HD-DVD HDi interactivity including internet interactivity, which means that it should fully comply to BD profile 2.0.

No it does not automatically mean that. Putting an ethernet port on the player doesn't automatically make it work from a BD-Live point of view. Furthermore BD-Live also requires 1GB of persistent memory.

AFAIK BD-Live won't be a mandatory requirement for players - only optional.
  • Reply 2583 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Why don't you post the graphs for Top 25 and Top 100?

Perhaps we should play your ranking game and conclude that since the current Top 100 rating is 1972:4256 there are 2.16 BD movies sold for every HD DVD movie.
  • Reply 2584 of 4650
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Perhaps we should play your ranking game and conclude that since the current Top 100 rating is 1972:4256 there are 2.16 BD movies sold for every HD DVD movie.

Shhh. Let Murch have his little pipe dreams. If all he's got is the Amazon sales ranks, that's fine. It's really kind of cute watching him do the denial paddle in his delusion pool.
  • Reply 2585 of 4650
    Quote:

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6463556.html

More good news
  • Reply 2586 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6463556.html

More good news

Good find...but I'm sure HD DVD proponents will try to play the irrelevance card...I wonder if they'll try and play it when CC or Bestbuy do the same thing.
  • Reply 2587 of 4650
    Optimum Announces Blu-ray Support

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=358

Quote:

Optimum Home Entertainment has announced that they will be releasing 'Wolf Creek', 'Pan's Labyrinth', and 'The Host' for Blu-ray on November 12th in the UK. Previously, Optimum only supported HD DVD, but with their recent Blu-ray announcements, it's clear that they recognize the markets are turning in Blu-ray's favor. No specs were announced at this time.

An interesting side note: Optimum is owned by StudioCanal, who releases on HD DVD in Europe. Could they be next to turn?

Another day, another studio goes Blu-ray. I thought all the smaller studios were never going to go Blu-ray due to the disc replication and authoring costs? Yet another HD DVD proponent argument tanking and having no merit.
  • Reply 2588 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

Yes because the Top 10 never means anything. Hell let's not choose the Top 10 in anything. Let's focus on the the Top 25-50 because that's "obviously" a more important metric than what's moving the most (Top 10). You guys act like you're somehow different than I am and that you don't highlight when Blu-ray is doing well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Shhh. Let Murch have his little pipe dreams. If all he's got is the Amazon sales ranks, that's fine. It's really kind of cute watching him do the denial paddle in his delusion pool.

Delusion about what? I know the stakes involved as well as anyone. If I'm off base then plenty of people would be swooping in and ripping my post to shreds.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Good find...but I'm sure HD DVD proponents will try to play the irrelevance card...I wonder if they'll try and play it when CC or Bestbuy do the same thing.

I don't even live even within 1000 miles of a BJ. I've never heard of them until today. Those that do live near them say people shop there for food..not electronics. I'm not saying its irrelevant but let's "weigh" things here a bit more logically.
  • Reply 2589 of 4650
    Quote:

Optimum Announces Blu-ray Support

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=358

Another day, another studio goes Blu-ray. I thought all the smaller studios were never going to go Blu-ray due to the disc replication and authoring costs? Yet another HD DVD proponent argument tanking and having no merit.

Who said that the little voice in your head? A BD25 disc is right around the same price to manufacture as a HD30 disc. Don't make strawman arguments...make your point without the fabrication. Studio neutrality is something I've championed all over so I know I didn't say that.
  • Reply 2591 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

No it does not automatically mean that. Putting an ethernet port on the player doesn't automatically make it work from a BD-Live point of view. Furthermore BD-Live also requires 1GB of persistent memory.

AFAIK BD-Live won't be a mandatory requirement for players - only optional.

You're right, having ethernet port on the player does not automatically make it comply to Profile 2.0, but not having it makes it automatically not comply to profile 2.0 like the Denon BD Player. However, having it fully compliant with HD-DVD interactivity does make it fully comply to profile 2.0 (BD-Live) as a hardware (yes, even the first gen HD-DVD players have 1GB of persistent storage due to mandatory requirement since the begining).

Of course, the interactivity features also require solftware being ready which HD-DVD can already perform such features with the few newly releasing titles like "300", not being the first. Well, for Blu-Ray, even with such compliants it will not have any software to test on. Having said that, I guess it really doesn't matter for Blu-Ray right now because the hardware compliance means nothing without fully complied software releases, which is none existing for both profile 1.1 or 2.0 on Blu-Ray list.
  • Reply 2592 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Shop somewhere else?... Like Walmart, Bestbuy, Circuit City, Fry's, and etc..... for $199 HD-DVD player......

Yeah, like most people even know what HD DVD is. Your precious J6P is more like to go, "What's this HD DVD stuff." You need to get an HD DVD player, it won't work on a DVD player. "Where are the players?" We don't sell them.

You can guess what happens from there.

Quote:

I don't think $499 BD Player will be a big hit at Target, even during the Holidays.

Apparently Target's management team thinks so. We'll see in a few months if you're smarter than they are.
  • Reply 2593 of 4650
    Quote:

All, just to recap all of the wonderful news (the dominoes are surely falling) for the week of July 22-28...

Wow, if that's not a$$ thumping to HD DVD, I don't know what is. It will be interesting to see how August plays out with good news expected from Fox and hopefully more exclusive retail announcements.

If Target is selling Blu-ray players "Exclusively" then why can HD DVD Xbox drives still be purchased as well as HD DVD movies?

How's your Blu-ray player working so far?
  • Reply 2594 of 4650
    Quote:

I don't even live even within 1000 miles of a BJ. I've never heard of them until today. Those that do live near them say people shop there for food..not electronics. I'm not saying its irrelevant but let's "weigh" things here a bit more logically.

Its similar to a Sam's Club or Costco... same thing, so many people buy electronics there too, obviously not as much as a BB or CC, but nonetheless its one more nail in the coffin.
  • Reply 2595 of 4650
    Bite and murch, I don't think a $199 HD-DVD player really means that much. If the HD formats were a consumer product, then yes, but they're not--J6P's are ignoring then as if they were poison. Right now the people who are into HD formats are either video enthusiasts or a group of consumers on the higher end of the yearly income scale who for lack of a better name let's call prosumers. While a $199 player might appeal to someone who wants to prolong the format war and go neutral, prosumers look at other things besides price, for example studio support and titles available, areas where HD-DVD is weak, before making their choice of format.
  • Reply 2596 of 4650
    Quote:

Who said that the little voice in your head? A BD25 disc is right around the same price to manufacture as a HD30 disc. Don't make strawman arguments...make your point without the fabrication. Studio neutrality is something I've championed all over so I know I didn't say that.

That little voice is hmurchison...get 'em out of my mind!

Much like I showed you how your stance on interactive features flip flopped with evidence provided earlier, here, too, is evidence in showing what you said in regards to smaller studios and replication costs...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

Quote:Originally posted by onlooker

I wonder how much it costs to press an HD-DVD?

A lot more. Guy over on AVS said his own personal quote as $50k for Blu Ray and like a tenth of that for HD DVD for a small run. If you're not a big studio you're not going to get subsidized and then you will feel the effects of the higher costs.

Quote:

Expect more "defections" as studios realize that Blu Ray is too damn expensive with HD-DVD providing the same quality.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by humurchison

The cost to the consumer may be the same but this is with a subsidy from Sony for major studios. My point will become explictly clear when Discmakers or some other company begins to offer HD DVD and Blu-Ray replication. It is there when small studios are shelling out for discs that you will see the price chasm between HD DVD and Blu-Ray.

Quote:

kupan787

Thats a good question. I imagine this scenario for Universal Players.

Smaller Studios would go HD DVD to save on production costs.

Larger studios with long running titles would choose DL BD-ROM

Fabrication? We have Universal players out now, but do we see the smaller studios defecting or going HD DVD? Nay. With as much flip flopping you've been doing the last couple of weeks, you're making John Kerry look like he's sitting still.
  • Reply 2597 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Bite and murch, I don't think a $199 HD-DVD player really means that much. If the HD formats were a consumer product, then yes, but they're not--J6P's are ignoring then as if they were poison. Right now the people who are into HD formats are either video enthusiasts or a group of consumers on the higher end of the yearly income scale who for lack of a better name let's call prosumers. While a $199 player might appeal to someone who wants to prolong the format war and go neutral, prosumers look at other things besides price, for example studio support and titles available, areas where HD-DVD is weak, before making their choice of format.

Let's say, if most of the HDTV owners are prosumers(which is not), and they're looking for HD contents or something close like upcoverting DVD players. You have to understand that $199 HD-DVD player is a great upconverting SD-DVD player as well which contends well as standalone upconversion SD-DVD player at $199 pricing. HD-DVD playback with fully compatible IME interactivity is free for those who cares to use the features upon purchase of enabled software. The $199 HD-A2 in Bestbuy, Circuit City, Fry's, Costco, Walmart is a lot better bait/lure to prosumers than $499 BD player at Target. And that means a lot for HiDef market as a whole.

OldCodger73, are being tempted by $199 pricing, too?
  • Reply 2598 of 4650
    Quote:

Let's say, if most of the HDTV owners are prosumers(which is not), and they're looking for HD contents or something close like upcoverting DVD players. You have to understand that $199 HD-DVD player is a great upconverting SD-DVD player as well which contends well as standalone upconversion SD-DVD player at $199 pricing. HD-DVD playback with fully compatible IME interactivity is free for those who cares to use the features upon purchase of enabled software. The $199 HD-A2 in Bestbuy, Circuit City, Fry's, Costco, Walmart is a lot better bait/lure to prosumers than $499 BD player at Target. And that means a lot for HiDef market as a whole.

OldCodger73, are being tempted by $199 pricing, too?

Speaking of lure...

Nielsen/VideoScan Numbers ending July 22nd

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...2907/index.php

WE: BD-74% HDD-26% YTD: BD-67% HDD-33% SI: BD-60% HDD-40%

That's lure enough for most...plainly seeing how the market is going and not wasting $200 on HD DVD. Beautiful icing on the cake to a great week for Blu ain't it?
  • Reply 2599 of 4650
    Quote:

here, too, is evidence in showing what you said in regards to smaller studios and replication costs...

Fabrication? We have Universal players out now, but do we see the smaller studios defecting or going HD DVD? Nay. With as much flip flopping you've been doing the last couple of weeks, you're making John Kerry look like he's sitting still.

Here's what YOU said

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marzetta7

Here's what I said.

Quote:

Thats a good question. I imagine this scenario for Universal Players.

Smaller Studios would go HD DVD to save on production costs.

Larger studios with long running titles would choose DL BD-ROM

In my scenario I "never" said that studios would never go Blu-ray. You said that. I said the lower product costs for HD DVD could come to bear and be an advantage and this is bore out in deals like the Amazon/Customflix deal.

I know what "sounds like me" and what doesn't.
  • Reply 2600 of 4650
    Quote:

Speaking of lure...

Nielsen/VideoScan Numbers ending July 22nd

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...2907/index.php

WE: BD-74% HDD-26% YTD: BD-67% HDD-33% SI: BD-60% HDD-40%

That's lure enough for most...plainly seeing how the market is going and not wasting $200 on HD DVD. Beautiful icing on the cake to a great week for Blu ain't it?

Yeah how's your player doing?