Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 3381 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Looks like it has to be disabled a while longer.... I hear Blu-Ray mandatory profile 1.1+ has been delayed until summer of 2008.

HD-DVD seems to be keep adding features like TL51 and so on...but Blu-Ray seems to keep taking away promised features.

Correction: HD DVD seems to keep promising features like TL51. They promised burners for the better part of a year and only recently delivered a slow one. Get back to us when it's no longer vapor.

Quote:

Well... Try flipping this Hybrid Twin HD-DVD/DVD Disc

What the hell are you talking about? This Hybrid Twin disc is exactly what's just been "approved." How could it "already exist" if it's just been approved? You make less sense with each passing day, and that's quite an achievement.

In fact, earlier this year, Ritek was saying current HD DVD pickups couldn't handle three layers.
  • Reply 3382 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Correction: HD DVD seems to keep promising features like TL51. They promised burners for the better part of a year and only recently delivered a slow one. Get back to us when it's no longer vapor.

What the hell are you talking about? This Hybrid Twin disc is exactly what's just been "approved." How could it "already exist" if it's just been approved? You make less sense with each passing day, and that's quite an achievement.

http://www.technologynewsdaily.com/node/4392

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/20/f...-with-new-hdi/

Quote:

In fact, earlier this year, Ritek was saying current HD DVD pickups couldn't handle three layers.

got link?....
  • Reply 3383 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member

You obviously didn't notice that Freedom 1, the much-touted DVD Twin release, was only two layers, not three.

Quote:

got link?....

What's the point? You've already got your mind made up. Even when confronted with multiple citations, you have never once conceded that you were wrong. You just go to ground for a few days, at best.
  • Reply 3384 of 4650
    Quote:

You obviously didn't notice that Freedom 1, the much-touted DVD Twin release, was only two layers, not three.

The link supposed to inform you what Hybrid Twin HD-DVD discs supposed to be. You seem to be only aware of the combo flip discs. No one said anything about TL-51 HD-DVD disc being officially compatible other than what's been said online from the insider and I've pointed out this as a speculation. At least, M$ representative, Amir has said TL45 was compatible with 1st gen HD-DVD drives.

Quote:

What's the point? You've already got your mind made up. Even when confronted with multiple citations, you have never once conceded that you were wrong. You just go to ground for a few days, at best.

Please do tell. I'm actually interested in reading about it. Since I do own HD-DVD players (two of them, 1st and 2nd gen), I would like to hear more info on the TL-51/45 compatibility.

edited:

I just checked over the 1st gen player Spec sheet, and it states it is compatible with twin format HD-DVD, but still no official wording of the Triple Layer HD-DVD. I hope Amir is right about this one, but we'll find out sooner or later.
  • Reply 3385 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

OMG! Why didn't WE think of that!? I guess we can close this thread now.

'cos we're slow moronic dickheads that don't like new blood to infiltrate our inner sanctum, we also hate outsiders, the unknown, strangers and people from the city who arn't "local" ??

Just a guess mind!
  • Reply 3386 of 4650
    Quote:

Since I do own HD-DVD players (two of them, 1st and 2nd gen), I would like to hear more info on the TL-51/45 compatibility.

So, how common is that? you have two players, murch has two players... and you go on about attach rates, I asked murch about this and he was silent.

I can see attach rates being important if each of the 2/300,000 HD-DVD players is owned by an individual. but if you all own 2 or more, or a large perentage of you own 2 machines, that halves the ACTUAL attach rates!

Conversely how many people own two PS3s for example?

IMO it points to attach rates meaning squat!
  • Reply 3387 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yet another outcome that HD DVD owner have seen routinely on a format (Blu-ray) that is wrought with incompatibilities across the players.

And yet it's HD DVD owners who have problems playing their Combo discs (was it 1 in 10?).

It'll be fun to watch when the first non-Toshiba based player is released with their own HDi implementation.
  • Reply 3388 of 4650
    Quote:

Looks like it has to be disabled a while longer.... I hear Blu-Ray mandatory profile 1.1+ has been delayed until summer of 2008.

Keep dreaming.
  • Reply 3389 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

So, how common is that? you have two players, murch has two players... and you go on about attach rates, I asked murch about this and he was silent.

I can see attach rates being important if each of the 2/300,000 HD-DVD players is owned by an individual. but if you all own 2 or more, or a large perentage of you own 2 machines, that halves the ACTUAL attach rates!

Conversely how many people own two PS3s for example?

IMO it points to attach rates meaning squat!

Btw. Toshiba will kill their attach rate argument when they put HD DVD drives in all their computers.
  • Reply 3390 of 4650
    Quote:

They're also members of the DVD Forum as well. About %40 of the Blu-ray Board of Director companies are neutral. So you are half correct in that if Apple delivers a HD player it "could" be Blu-ray or it could be HD DVD or both.

Ok, since Sony is a member of the DVD Forum, the next update of PS3 "could" be with an HD DVD drive?

I haven't seen anything indicating that Apple is involved in any of the HD DVD groups within the DVD Forum.

Remeber that the DVD Forum has two formats.
  • Reply 3391 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

'cos we're slow moronic dickheads that don't like new blood to infiltrate our inner sanctum, we also hate outsiders, the unknown, strangers and people from the city who arn't "local" ??

Just a guess mind!

Don't mind me... I'm just bitter because I STILL can't afford to get in to HD and I sure as Hell can't risk getting in to the wrong HD.
  • Reply 3392 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Ok, since Sony is a member of the DVD Forum, the next update of PS3 "could" be with an HD DVD drive?

I haven't seen anything indicating that Apple is involved in any of the HD DVD groups within the DVD Forum.

Remeber that the DVD Forum has two formats.

Yes that's exactly my point. Just being on the BoD or a member of an organization doesn't mean you support that org's particular format.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/apr/17hd.html

Quote:

Apple is committed to both emerging high definition DVD standards?Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD. Apple is an active member of the DVD Forum which developed the HD DVD standard, and last month joined the Board of Directors of the Blu-ray Disc Association.

It's not like Apple hasn't announced their status multiple times. They are clearly neutral in this battle.
  • Reply 3393 of 4650
    Quote:

And yet it's HD DVD owners who have problems playing their Combo discs (was it 1 in 10?).

It'll be fun to watch when the first non-Toshiba based player is released with their own HDi implementation.

I own

Children of Men

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Slither

and about 4 more Combos. Haven't had a problem playing one so I think this is more of a vocal minority thing (which I believe should be dealt with by Toshiba). Luckily I've been blessed with a good player that hasn't glitched on me once save the for need to update firmware to play 300.
  • Reply 3394 of 4650
    Quote:

Happy Feet

Tokyo Drift

Fearless - Jet Li

Departed

Superman Returns

Ant Bully

Only issue was with Happy Feet (due to bad prints on some early copies-people did return and got replacement from warner) with XA1, but it kinda fixed itself before the firmware update. The 2nd Gen XA2 has no issue with any of the combos I own. Even with Happy Feet.

At least, this isn't a big enough problem where a studio requires delaying a title release like it just happened with Blu-Ray. Actually, Warner has not released many titles with IME in Blu-Ray, but available in HD-DVD. This trend may continue since there's no profile 1.1/+ compliant standalone Blu-Ray player scheduled for 2007.
  • Reply 3395 of 4650
    Quote:

It's not like Apple hasn't announced their status multiple times. They are clearly neutral in this battle.

Funny, I've never noticed that Apple quote before. I hadn't realized they had ever formally declared neutrality.
  • Reply 3396 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Funny, I've never noticed that Apple quote before. I hadn't realized they had ever formally declared neutrality.

I know..they don't bring much light to it but Apple wins either way since they will make sure people can author both HD DVD and Blu-ray content using DVD Studio Pro even if that means requiring a 3rd party plugin.
  • Reply 3397 of 4650
    Rumor: PS3 Effect All Over Again?...

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...s-future-plans

Quote:

Our mole has a great track record: both the Xbox 360 HDMI story and the wired Xbox 360 Rock Band controllers have since been confirmed. Whoever our friendly inside source is, he's got some great contacts. Now he's ready to tell us what Sony's console pricing plans may soon look like. Here's how Sony's platform pricing will shape up by the holiday shopping season:

80GB PlayStation 3: $499.99

40GB PlayStation 3: $399.99

Spider-Man 3 Blu-ray movie pack in with one, or both

PlayStation 2: $99.99

The 80GB price drop isn't that shocking, but a new $400 40GB system would be huge news. Would people be willing to part with 40GB to save $100? I think so, and having a $400 PlayStation 3 option would be a great weapon this holiday season. If they get to show off the Blu-ray capabilities of the system with Spider-Man 3 bundled? That's a nice package.

The $99.99 PlayStation 2 would ensure that the venerable system will continue to sell well. This is rumor for now, but when Sony makes some announcements at the Tokyo Game Show, I would not be shocked if these were among them. You heard it here first.

Mmmm, very attractive package if true. I could easily see Sony doubling their sales, even surpassing the 10 million mark made by the Xbox360 if this rumor proves true.
  • Reply 3398 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Rumor: PS3 Effect All Over Again?...

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...s-future-plans

Mmmm, very attractive package if true. I could easily see Sony doubling their sales, even surpassing the 10 million mark made by the Xbox360 if this rumor proves true.

Good news if it holds true.

The Gaming console market seems to be little more crowded than when xbox360 was out by itself before Wii & PS3 came out.

I don't think 10 million xbox360 would have been possible if Wii and PS3 was available around the same time. The 10 million will be harder number to fill this time around, especially when PS3 is still the most expensive unit with fewer exclusive games than the competition.
  • Reply 3399 of 4650
    More news that only increases the confusion. Oh, and this didn't help either.

I reiterate that I don't think a winner will emerge from this format war.
  • Reply 3400 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

This may push me over the edge and I might go ahead and get a playstation 3. $399 and cross the fingers.