Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 3741 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

100% agree with you. There is a HUGE chicken vs egg problem here. DVD adoption was easy because it worked with current tvs (not to mention the fact that it had MANY more features over the previous gen). Gotta have HDTVs out there before the next format will pick up. And that includes J6p and Red Neck joe.

Many households already have the HDTVs. The problem lies within the format war because people are on the fence because they don't know which format to put their money into yet.

And since I haven't heard much lately about it.... We've got a 3rd format coming out very soon. HD VMD and their $199 players that claim to be better than HD DVD. HD VMD still runs at 1080P with upto 7.1ch lossless sound but HD VMD runs at 40mbps where as HD DVD runs at 36, and Blu-Ray runs at 48, so Blu-ray still has the upper hand but more expensive players. But currently most stores are selling more Blu-rays than HD DVD.
  • Reply 3742 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    wow.... talk about being aggressive with HDM deals.....

Free Heroes series ($99 worth) in HD-DVD with xbox360 HD-DVD add on purchase.

http://i.slickdeals.net/attachment.p...1&d=1192737092

I think the offer is good only at BestBuy, between 10/21/07 - 10/27/07.

Don't forget that anyone with capable HTPC can also use the drive to play HD-DVD.
  • Reply 3743 of 4650
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Seems schizophrenic to me. On the one hand, you're claiming Sony always screws up. On the other, you claim you keep buying their products. Why would anyone do that? I don't like Lexmark printers. So I don't buy them. I know I wouldn't buy any more phones from a company after the third time or so their chargers broke on me, rather than wait "a million times" and still complain about them. If Sony can do no right, then stop buying their stuff. If they're hit and miss, then why bitch and moan? For all you know, this could be one of their "good" products like the ones you keep buying. BTW, why rip Sony for their charger ports when pretty much everybody had proprietary ones? Only a few phones use mini-USB right now. Nokias don't. Neither does the iPhone nor most lower-end phones that don't need data transfer abilities. As for Memory Stick changing sizes, ask the people who have to deal with SD and mini-SD and micro-SD. You're starting to sound almost Murch-like here by saying you don't really care, but hope it's not Sony. It's a contradiction.

I seriously think your insane, and will nit pick anything. Most of these products were years apart, I never claimed they always screw up. At all.

It's not multiple phones I'm buying it's the same f-ing phone, the charger keeps breaking. Learn to read. Each time the charger breaks I complain at the store and get a new one for free. I am not buying anything. Yes not everyone uses mini-usb, but most nokia, apple and everyone I've seen aside from sony and samsung, use chargers that you stick into something and it stays in firmly, Sony's do not do that.

Do you seem the design flaw? This has happened to pretty much everyone I know that has an SE or Samsung phone. Here's a nokia charger for reference.

Why haven't I bought another phone because I'm waiting for the iphone to come to canada.

Quote:

As for Memory Stick changing sizes, ask the people who have to deal with SD and mini-SD and micro-SD.

Wow looks like you don't even know what the hell you're talking about. When mini SD came out SD was retired? When micro SD came out they were both retired?

What is there to deal with? All 3 formats currently exist.

My sony cyber shot takes Memory Stick Pro but guess what it no longer exists, Memory Stick Pro Duo has replaced it and in order to fit a Memory Stick Pro camera, it needs an adapter.

When did that happen to SD?

But you know what, whatever it's late and I'm sick of arguing over nothing, point is I (unlike you obviously) don't care that much, I'd rather Sony not win the format war, but like I said: I DO NOT CARE IF THEY DO.

What is really funny is the only reason I came on tonight was to say the recent price drop and as well as 40gb model will get me to buy a PS3 in a few weeks. I'll either get the 60gb for 449 from bb or the 40gb at 399 haven't deicided if 50 bucks is worth backwards compatiblity to me.

And even as a PS3 owner I could care less if they win the format war.
  • Reply 3744 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Yes not everyone uses mini-usb, but most nokia, apple and everyone I've seen aside from sony and samsung, use chargers that you stick into something and it stays in firmly, Sony's do not do that.

We have about 100 SE phones here and not one has complained about the charger not sitting firmly.
  • Reply 3745 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Walter, the nerve! Trying to get this thread back on track. That would be no fun!

That made me laugh VERY hard to the point of coughing till I felt dizzy!

erm.. thanks?
  • Reply 3746 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

We have about 100 SE phones here and not one has complained about the charger not sitting firmly.

Plus this is getting off topic
  • Reply 3747 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

wow.... talk about being aggressive with HDM deals.....

Free Heroes series ($99 worth) in HD-DVD with xbox360 HD-DVD add on purchase.

http://i.slickdeals.net/attachment.p...1&d=1192737092

I think the offer is good only at BestBuy, between 10/21/07 - 10/27/07.

Don't forget that anyone with capable HTPC can also use the drive to play HD-DVD.

mm, I smell End Of Line.
  • Reply 3748 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Plus this is getting off topic

Sorry
  • Reply 3749 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

mm, I smell End Of Line.

Haha... wishful thinking...... but I wouldn't be surprised if new xbox360 start using HD-DVD drives in the newer models. It seems that HD-DVD drive price has gone down even lower after getting all those chinese manufacturers involved.
  • Reply 3750 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Here's something to right the thread's ship...numbers are in...

Nielsen/VideoScan Numbers ending October 14th

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...2107/index.php

WE: BD-71% HDD-29% YTD: BD-66% HDD-34% SI: BD-61% HDD-39%

Remember this week's data doesn't include the sale of Transformers for HD DVD, but next week's data will. It will be interesting to see if Blu-ray will hold the shutout for 2007 with their BOGO sale this week.
  • Reply 3751 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

Haha... wishful thinking...... but I wouldn't be surprised if new xbox360 start using HD-DVD drives in the newer models. It seems that HD-DVD drive price has gone down even lower after getting all those chinese manufacturers involved.

Actually I'd be quite suprised, as Microsoft would be pissing off almost every gamer they have if they came out with a 360 with an internal drive, but of course there will be those who will keep buying iteration after iteration of xbox360 without second thought.

Obviously an internal drive at this stage of the game for the 360 would more than double the TCO of owning a 360, when if an individual had just gotten a PS3 in the first place, they would have saved $400-$500.
  • Reply 3752 of 4650
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

... PS3 in the first place, they would have saved $400-$500.

I don't follow you here.
  • Reply 3753 of 4650
    Quote:

Here's something to right the thread's ship...numbers are in...

Nielsen/VideoScan Numbers ending October 14th

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...2107/index.php

WE: BD-71% HDD-29% YTD: BD-66% HDD-34% SI: BD-61% HDD-39%

Remember this week's data doesn't include the sale of Transformers for HD DVD, but next week's data will. It will be interesting to see if Blu-ray will hold the shutout for 2007 with their BOGO sale this week.

I was expecting to see Blu-Ray doing much better with all those Blu-Ray exclusive software fire sales and having released much more titles for this cycle.

HD DVD:

Evan Almighty (Universal)

Twilight Zone: The Movie (Warner)

BD

28 Days Later (Fox)

28 Weeks Later (Fox)

Surf's Up (Sony)

Edward Scissorhands (Fox)

The Fly (1986) (Fox)

From Hell (Fox)

Reign Over Me (Sony)

RoboCop (MGM)

Twilight Zone: The Movie (Warner)
  • Reply 3754 of 4650
    Quote:

Obviously an internal drive at this stage of the game for the 360 would more than double the TCO of owning a 360, when if an individual had just gotten a PS3 in the first place, they would have saved $400-$500.

Are you saying that it is in the same line as buying 40GB $399 PS3 and also buying another 60GB PS3 for backwards PS2 compatibility?

It doesn't make sense, does it?
  • Reply 3755 of 4650
    Quote:

Are you saying that it is in the same line as buying 40GB $399 PS3 and also buying another 60GB PS3 for backwards PS2 compatibility?

It doesn't make sense, does it?

Which is the biggest thing keeping me from buying a 40gb ps3. Now i'm looking for a USED (this is so dumb) 60gb so I can keep playing my ps2 games for sure.
  • Reply 3756 of 4650
    Quote:

Which is the biggest thing keeping me from buying a 40gb ps3. Now i'm looking for a USED (this is so dumb) 60gb so I can keep playing my ps2 games for sure.

I don't think you'll have trouble finding brand new 60GB PS3. My local toysrus still had many of them last week. I was actually surprised to find wii there, also. I believe you can also get them from amazon.

I think 60GB is and will be the best PS3 ever made.
  • Reply 3757 of 4650
    And how much was it in comparison to 80gb?
  • Reply 3758 of 4650
    Quote:

And how much was it in comparison to 80gb?

I think the 60GB PS3 is $499 at toysrus. Amazon has it at $499 with free shipping. I don't know what 80GB PS3 cost right now, but it was $599 before.
  • Reply 3759 of 4650
    There's a rumor floating around (it makes sense) that Sony will eventually stop B/C all together, and even disable it in a firmware update (ridiculous). I can't remember who, but someone said that the reason was because it would be cheaper to get a 40 gb PS3 and a PS2 (it'd come to under 600). Sony needs to "think different" for a change. Or think normally. Whatev.
  • Reply 3760 of 4650
    I think there would be a pretty large outcry if they disabled it all the sudden. Not sure about the legallity of that either.