Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 3761 of 4650
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Which is the biggest thing keeping me from buying a 40gb ps3. Now i'm looking for a USED (this is so dumb) 60gb so I can keep playing my ps2 games for sure.

Where I am the 60gb is nestled in between both models at 449. So if BC is important to you that's actually the smartest buy.
  • Reply 3762 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

I think the 60GB PS3 is $499 at toysrus. Amazon has it at $499 with free shipping. I don't know what 80GB PS3 cost right now, but it was $599 before.

The 80 GB PS3, bundled with MotorStorm, will be $499. It is right here on the front page...

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...2107/index.php
  • Reply 3763 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I don't follow you here.

Quite simply, you have 11 million xbox 360 purchasers. Not only have most been gouged to get extra add-ons in order to level its specs with the PS3, but now you are saying, if HD DVD were to include a HD DVD drive, internally, all those 11 million would have to repurchase the 360 yet again in order to play games on the 360 via an HD DVD disc. How much do you think the new 360 with an HD DVD drive is going to cost? More than likely, right on par with the PS3, thus if you would have gotten a PS3 in the first place, you wouldn't have to be spending an additional $400-$500 for the new 360, and that is "if" such a device ever sees the light of day.
  • Reply 3764 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Quite simply, you have 11 million xbox 360 purchasers. Not only have most been gouged to get extra add-ons in order to level its specs with the PS3, but now you are saying, if HD DVD were to include a HD DVD drive, internally, all those 11 million would have to repurchase the 360 yet again in order to play games on the 360 via an HD DVD disc. How much do you think the new 360 with an HD DVD drive is going to cost? More than likely, right on par with the PS3, thus if you would have gotten a PS3 in the first place, you wouldn't have to be spending an additional $400-$500 for the new 360, and that is "if" such a device ever sees the light of day.

Nah, shifting to having games on HD-DVD is a deal breaker now.

They can add a HD-DVD drive since it works with DVD but unless they say "we gotta replace all existing 360s anyway because of the RROD" and everyone with a current 360 gets to upgrade to HD 360 that would kill the momentum MS has over Sony this generation. Folks would be PISSED and rightfully so if the current 360s couldn't play every game that came out for the 360 family.

MAYBE since MS is paying $$$ for market share AND they have this huge warranty moneypit anyway they MIGHT if all the planets aligned spend the even more $$$ to try to eliminate the PS3's only advantage over them by resetting the clock without pissing everyone off. Not too bloody likely though.
  • Reply 3765 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Sorry

wouldn't worry
  • Reply 3766 of 4650
    Quote:

Haha... wishful thinking...... but I wouldn't be surprised if new xbox360 start using HD-DVD drives in the newer models. It seems that HD-DVD drive price has gone down even lower after getting all those chinese manufacturers involved.

Was goona 'splane it to you, but I wuz beat to it! dang stoopid idez

--

Oh yeah, while I'm here.

Quote:

I was expecting to see Blu-Ray doing much better with all those Blu-Ray exclusive software fire sales and having released much more titles for this cycle.

How come when HD-DVD is giveing away a free add-on for the 360 its great news, but when Blu-ray lower their software price its "a fire sale"?

spin much?
  • Reply 3767 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

How come when HD-DVD is giveing away a free add-on for the 360 its great news, but when Blu-ray lower their software price its "a fire sale"?

spin much?

lol.... if they were giving away xbox360 HD-DVD AO for free, then it would be a fire sale, but I've not seen such deal. Let me know if you see it first.
  • Reply 3768 of 4650
    Quote:

lol.... if they were giving away xbox360 HD-DVD AO for free, then it would be a fire sale, but I've not seen such deal. Let me know if you see it first.

1 if its "free" how is it a "sale"?

2 arn't they giving it away "free" with the $99 season of Heroes?

So under most of your criteria its a fire sale too!

like i said, Spin much?
  • Reply 3769 of 4650
    Quote:

like i said, Spin much?

you may as you were.
  • Reply 3770 of 4650
    Quote:

you may as you were.

Have you moved into "not answering a direct question" mode now?
  • Reply 3771 of 4650
    Quote:

Have you moved into "not answering a direct question" mode now?

Oh no... Did your feeling get hurt?..

If you're really interested in getting an answer, just go back and read the posts over.

BTW, is it true that all the PS3's released in Europe are the crippled version?
  • Reply 3772 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

wow.... talk about being aggressive with HDM deals.....

Free Heroes series ($99 worth) in HD-DVD with xbox360 HD-DVD add on purchase.

http://i.slickdeals.net/attachment.p...1&d=1192737092

I think the offer is good only at BestBuy, between 10/21/07 - 10/27/07.

Don't forget that anyone with capable HTPC can also use the drive to play HD-DVD.

Quote:

1 if its "free" how is it a "sale"?

2 arn't they giving it away "free" with the $99 season of Heroes?

So under most of your criteria its a fire sale too!

like i said, Spin much?

Walter, I think you're reading that wrong.

It's the Heroes set free with the purchase of the HD-DVD drive, not the other way around.
  • Reply 3773 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

BTW, is it true that all the PS3's released in Europe are the crippled version?

The EU 60GB version has software emulation (and the PS2 GPU) just like the US 80GB version.

The 40GB version seems to be identical world wide.
  • Reply 3774 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

How come when HD-DVD is giveing away a free add-on for the 360 its great news...

$80 ≠ Free.

Spin much?
  • Reply 3775 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

$80 ≠ Free.

It is when it still includes the rebate for an additional 5 movies, as it does.
  • Reply 3776 of 4650
    On a different note, does anyone know definitively if the Leopard DVD Player will play HD DVD and/or Blu Ray?

http://www.ncixus.com/products/index.php?sku=26553

At $285 shipped, that combo drive looks very attractive!
  • Reply 3777 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

It is when it still includes the rebate for an additional 5 movies, as it does.

You forgot to mention that the package comes with King Kong HDM, M$ media remote, and some people managed to pull off getting 2 free extra HD-DVD HDM as part of standalone HD-DVD player promo at BestBuy, on top of getting free Heroes. I'm just happy to see many have and will take advantage current HDM promo.

Fire sale or not, I hope these promo/sales continues through out the holidays. I would not mind getting used to paying less $ for HDM's at my local Circurit City , Fry''s or BestBuy. My $15 purchase for Transformers HDM on last Tuesday was one of my best HDM purchases to date.
  • Reply 3778 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

On a different note, does anyone know definitively if the Leopard DVD Player will play HD DVD and/or Blu Ray?

http://www.ncixus.com/products/index.php?sku=26553

At $285 shipped, that combo drive looks very attractive!

This is exactly what I need. Now.... when can I have it for $99 or less? I'd much prefer this drive packaged in a external enclosure, but I'm sure I can find a 5 1/4" drive case for about $30.

thanks for sharing this info!...
  • Reply 3779 of 4650
    Is it true that Woolworths are going Blu-ray only and dropping HD DVD movies? This will have a significant influence on the UK market if true.