Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 3801 of 4650
    Hey Marz, I think on the youtube thing somebody had too much free time on their hands.

I picked up a copy of 2001 today and am looking forward to watching it tomorrow night. Now a really interesting figure would be to compare Blu-ray and HD-DVD sales for the Kubrick films released on 23 October.
  • Reply 3802 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Hey Marz, I think on the youtube thing somebody had too much free time on their hands.

I picked up a copy of 2001 today and am looking forward to watching it tomorrow night. Now a really interesting figure would be to compare Blu-ray and HD-DVD sales for the Kubrick films released on 23 October.

Indeed, that would be interesting. Please let me know your review of 2001!

Also, I forgot to answer the other questions you proposed to me in you previous posts, sorry about that, been real busy the last few weeks. So, yes, I do intend to get the kiddos a PS3 for Christmas. I wanted to get one last Christmas, but I was vetoed by the boss (my wife). Plus my kids were probably a bit young to really appreciate it. At the very least, I know my oldest would really like it now (he's 6).

I'm also in the market for a HDTV. So, that may also come into play this Christmas as well. I'm really interested in Laser TVs. From what I understand, they are supposed to come out in December, and be priced right with LCDs and Plasmas. We'll see though.
  • Reply 3803 of 4650
    Blu-ray Disc Sales Lead HD DVD by Nearly 2:1 YTD; Q4 Crucial For HD DVD

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news...or_HD_DVD/1102

Quote:

Blu-ray disc sales exceeded those of HD DVD by a wide margin for the third quarter in a row, setting the stage for a crucial Q4 sales showdown.

According to recently released numbers from Home Media Research, sales of Blu-ray discs totaled 2.6 million units from January 1 through Sept 30, versus 1.4 million HD DVD discs sold over the same period. That's a 1.85:1 sales lead for Blu-ray for the first nine months of this year.

A month into the fourth quarter, however, there are some encouraging signs for HD DVD, with analysts predicting a much tighter disc sales race for the crucial holiday shopping season.

First off, there's last week's record-breaking HD DVD-exclusive release of 'Transformers' (which reportedly sold 190,000 units in its first seven days), followed by several upcoming high-profile releases exclusive to the HD DVD format, including 'Shrek the Third' and the newly remastered 'Star Trek: The Original Series - Season One' (an HD DVD/DVD combo disc release that will not be made available as a standalone standard-def DVD).

Of course, the Blu-ray camp has its own high-profile exclusive releases scheduled, sales of which which could very well exceed those of the above-listed HD DVD titles. Among the highly anticipated titles headed to Blu-ray this quarter are 'Spider-Man 3,' 'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End' and 'The Simpsons Movie.'

Add hardware to the equation, and it becomes an even muddier picture. With prices dropping for next-gen players on both side of the aisle, there's no telling how many new early adopters will be entering the fray over the next two months, or what effect their hardware purchases will have on overall disc sales.

As always, stay with us for continuing coverage.

• Reply 3804 of 4650
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Also, what do you all think about the numbers Paramount is touting with 190,000 HD DVD discs "sold?" I'm wondering if they are using the Microsoft Xbox 360 ploy of saying "sold" as in "sold to retailers" and not actual consumers.

Unlikely, as it was stated that they sold 100,000 the first day, and 190,000 for the week entirely.
  • Reply 3805 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Unlikely, as it was stated that they sold 100,000 the first day, and 190,000 for the week entirely.

Precisely my point. "Sold" as in sold to retailers, or "sold" as in sold to actual consumers. Hmmm? We'll see, but I have my doubts. Regardless, I know full well Transformers will be helping HD DVD in the Nielsen numbers this week, just how much, only time will tell.
  • Reply 3806 of 4650
    Quote:

Precisely my point. "Sold" as in sold to retailers, or "sold" as in sold to actual consumers. Hmmm? We'll see, but I have my doubts. Regardless, I know full well Transformers will be helping HD DVD in the Nielsen numbers this week, just how much, only time will tell.

If it was just the number sold to retailers, it would be one number. You couldn't divide retail sales into "first day" and "first week"; all copies would have been sold to retailers in advance of "first day".
  • Reply 3807 of 4650
    What's with murch? He hasn't been around for a while.
  • Reply 3808 of 4650
    Over on the AVS BD forum there are a number people very upset with Amazon over its handling of the Kubrick October 23 releases. A few people received their pre-orders, but for most the shipping date was pushed back several weeks and for some into December. Mine was changed to November 7. This was unacceptable so I canceled the order and bought it at a nearby Best Buy. It ended up costing an additional $2.00 over Amazon's price, but at least I had the disc. The problem is obviously at Amazon's end as BB had plenty of copies of all the Kubrick titles.

Did any of you HD-DVD people pre-order any of the Kubrick discs from Amazon or are those the type of movies that don't appeal to Transformer fans? Were they shipped promptly?
  • Reply 3809 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

I think Marz finally chased him off. I've seen posts of his in some of the recent news article commentaries, so he's still around.

Quote:

Did any of you HD-DVD people pre-order any of the Kubrick discs from Amazon or are those the type of movies that don't appeal to Transformer fans?

Did any of you Mac people pre-order Leopard or is that the type of software that doesn't appeal to Mets fans?
  • Reply 3810 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

If it was just the number sold to retailers, it would be one number. You couldn't divide retail sales into "first day" and "first week"; all copies would have been sold to retailers in advance of "first day".

I just find it interesting that they are claiming double the amount of sales (Blu-ray and HD DVD combined) that 300 did in its first week. I think 300 is just as a popular, but some might disagree. I thought Transformers was good, but to double the amount of sales of 300 on both Blu-ray and HD DVD combined in the first week, with just the HD DVD install base, I find hard to beleive. That's all I'm saying,...it just doesn't compute.
  • Reply 3811 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

I think Marz finally chased him off. I've seen posts of his in some of the recent news article commentaries, so he's still around.

Did any of you Mac people pre-order Leopard or is that the type of software that doesn't appeal to Mets fans?

Ohh, if I know Murch he's busy getting married with his girlfriend or busy with his job or something, I certainly am not capable of chasing him off. He's as stubborn as I am.
  • Reply 3812 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

I for one did not preorder Leopard. I'm still a bit stung for having gotten an iMac about 2 months before they updated to the new ones. Anyhow, I'm looking for a 24+ inch iMac with a Blu-ray drive in it, and then I'll bite with it, and of course, with Leopard.

It sure looks sweet!
  • Reply 3813 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,431member
    Quote:

Marzetta7 sent some guys to my house to break my kneecaps with Blu bats. That guy is hardcore.

Just took a needed break.

I tell you that Samsung Universal player is looking mighty tempting. I think next year I'm going to end up replacing my D2 with the successor to the Sammy unit or another Universal. That'll free up a HDMI port for an Xbox Elite ...hooo ahhh!
  • Reply 3814 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Marzetta7 sent some guys to my house to break my kneecaps with Blu bats. That guy is hardcore.

I tell you that Samsung Universal player is looking mighty tempting. I think next year I'm going to end up replacing my D2 with the successor to the Sammy unit or another Universal. That'll free up a HDMI port for an Xbox Elite ...hooo ahhh!

There was a couple rumors going around about MS possibly releasing the newer Elites with HD DVD drive built-in, maybe wait for that? I like my Elite but the only game I play is Halo3 and when I put the disc in the Elite seems to spin the disc like 5 times faster than any other game, extremely loud.
  • Reply 3815 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Say hellow to my Bluiville Sluggah!

Welcome back dude.
  • Reply 3816 of 4650
    IT'S OFFICIAL...Blu-Ray STILL Dominant

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/index.cfm

Quote:

Even Paramount Home Entertainment?s release of the DreamWorks theatrical blockbuster Transformers exclusively on the HD DVD format didn?t tip the scale last week. Though there was no hot new Blu-ray Disc release, consumers continued to buy more Blu-ray Discs than HD DVDs for the week ended Oct. 21, albeit by a slim 51% to 49% edge. Paramount says Transformers sold 190,000 units its first week in stores, but Home Media Magazine market research and studio estimates puts the actual number of units that sold through to consumers closer to 115,000.

Blu-ray Holds Off Transformers Blitz

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=618

Quote:

Despite selling 115,000 copies, the Transformer HD DVD didn't sell enough to take the sales lead away from Blu-ray. Winning yet another week in software sales (51% of total unit sales), Blu-ray has yet to lose a week to the rival format this year. Consumers once again voiced that their preferred high definition format is Blu-ray, and despite not having access to this year's 3rd highest grossing film, they still support the format.

I told you the 190,000 number Paramount was attempting to tout didn't compute. 115,000 is much more like it. Regardless, this is HUGE blow to HD DVD. IMO, with this size of a blockbuster, HD DVD doesn't deserve to exist in that it can't even beat Blu-ray for the week. I think the HD DVD backed studios will take note of this, and make the necessary changes going forward. At the very least, Warner has got to be seeing this, and thus seeing the writing on the wall for HD DVD.

This is great news for Blu-ray and the hope of having a unified format soon! I hope Toshiba wises up and throws in the towel.
  • Reply 3817 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

I told you the 190,000 number Paramount was attempting to tout didn't compute. 115,000 is much more like it. Regardless, this is HUGE blow to HD DVD. IMO, with this size of a blockbuster, HD DVD doesn't deserve to exist in that it can't even beat Blu-ray for the week. I think the HD DVD backed studios will take note of this, and make the necessary changes going forward. At the very least, Warner has got to be seeing this, and thus seeing the writing on the wall for HD DVD.

This is great news for Blu-ray and the hope of having a unified format soon! I hope Toshiba wises up and throws in the towel.

Given that you've been setting up this "devastating news" for more than a week now, I'm glad to see your wait has finally ended. That you think HD-DVD "doesn't deserve to exist" is news to nobody on this board.

But for those of us who live in the real world, this doesn't change anything.

Nobody's making any of your so-called "necessary changes" anytime soon.

Multi-billion dollar companies don't shift strategy over one DVD release.

You are kidding only yourself if you think Toshiba will simply roll over and die because of this.

From their perspective, they got over 100,000 people to convert to their format this week and Paramount's catalogue hasn't even appeared on the format yet. (Up next: Star Trek!)

You simply don't understand how media companies think.
  • Reply 3818 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Given that you've been setting up this "devastating news" for more than a week now, I'm glad to see your wait has finally ended. That you think HD-DVD "doesn't deserve to exist" is news to nobody on this board.

But for those of us who live in the real world, this doesn't change anything.

Nobody's making any of your so-called "necessary changes" anytime soon.

Multi-billion dollar companies don't shift strategy over one DVD release.

You are kidding only yourself if you think Toshiba will simply roll over and die because of this.

From their perspective, they got over 100,000 people to convert to their format this week and Paramount's catalogue hasn't even appeared on the format yet. (Up next: Star Trek!)

You simply don't understand how media companies think.

And you presume you do? You simply don't understand how sales work. Over 100,000 sales doesn't equate "conversions." If anything, it means most of the already existing HD DVD install base decided to pick up Transformers...too bad for Paramount that they would have sold 2 to 3 times as much on Blu-ray...you think studios don't speak that language? Puhleese!?

Sour grapes my friend? I suspect Warner is looking at their exclusivity in a new light given the news this week. I fully expect some interesting news coming out of CES 2008, especially if Blu-ray completes the 2007 shutout of HD DVD.
  • Reply 3819 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

And you presume you do? You simply don't understand how sales work. Over 100,000 sales doesn't equate "conversions." If anything, it means most of the already existing HD DVD install base decided to pick up Transformers...too bad for Paramount that they would have sold 2 to 3 times as much on Blu-ray...you think studios don't speak that language? Puhleese!?

Sour grapes my friend? I suspect Warner is looking at their exclusivity in a new light given the news this week. I fully expect some interesting news coming out of CES 2008, especially if Blu-ray completes the 2007 shutout of HD DVD.

Ok, I meant "support" instead of "convert". My bad.

However, you are still kidding yourself if you think this means anybody's rolling up their tent and going home. And I never particularly cared about the Transformers sell through, so I don't have any sour grapes.

You're the only one on the board who's been constantly harping on Transformers number, so you could give the impression of some big Blu-Ray win later. It was totally transparent.

As for Warner, everybody from Blu-Ray backers to hard-core HD-DVDers have all said Warner was about to convert to their camp at some point. This is probably at least the fifth time you've said you "suspect" that they are considering backing Blu-Ray "real soon now."

The fact is, only Warner knows what they are thinking. However, I suspect that the idea of paying royalties to Sony for every blockbuster they make continues to haunt them. And it should.
  • Reply 3820 of 4650
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...on_Mounts/1105

Are Weinstein about to jump onto Blu-ray?

Quote:

no releases or announcements from the Weinstein Company in over four months, speculation is mounting that there are changes afoot for the HD DVD exclusive distributor.

Nothing from them since June and the official line is "We aren?t commenting on our High-Def plans at this time"