Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 981 of 4650
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I own a PS3 so I have Blu-Ray and I also own a Xbox 360 with the external HD-DVD drive. So I have access to both formats and so far, I don't see either format doing more than the other to get my money.

The last HD movie I bought was The Departed. I had the option of buying the movie for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD and while initially I went for the Blu-Ray version, I realized that the HD-DVD version was on a hybrid disc, one side was HD and the other side was the normal DVD. When I saw that, there was no contest. The ability to be able to bring the movie to someone elses house and watch it on their normal DVD player was too good to pass up. If a movie is out in both formats, the only thing that matters to me are the features and the lower price. If there's a bonus like The Departed working in normal DVD players, I'll go for that one every time.
  • Reply 982 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    I like Combos as well. The ability to play the movie on a billion DVD players is a nice feature. I think it's going to play a vital role in the success of HD DVD against a stout Blu-ray Disc Association hellbent on ending this battle.
  • Reply 983 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    But Warner is one studio won't be making combo disks if they go TotalHD as they plan. If you have HD DVD on one side and Blu-ray on the other, there are no sides left for the plain, vanilla DVD.
  • Reply 984 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Please elaborate. Apple has made it clear on numerous occasions that they support both formats.

Links? (and no, saying that FCP supports both doesn't count - it has to)
  • Reply 985 of 4650
    Quote:

Or perhaps we may evoke Occams Theory and simply state that excellent graph is the result of enthusiastic fans snapping up movies on sale.

Enthsiastic fans would already own those movies.

Quote:

Another question to ponder is this.

"If the war is truly over as Fox and Sony love to proclaim. Why are they dropping the costs of the movies?"

This is an Amazon sale - not a studio sale.

PS: Toshiba is giving away 5 movies with a player.
  • Reply 986 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

to anyone..

ok, for the heck of it... how DO we decide what WINNING means? what are the criteria?

...)

IMO, there's two steps in winning. The first is when one of the HD formats either gives up or has such poor sales and studio support that it has become totally marginalized. The survivor then has achieved niche status.

The real winning for the remaining HD format occurs when it outsells SD-DVD. Anybody think that's going to happen soon?

Even though Blu-ray seems to be ahead now, I've come to the conclusion that the winner, at least for 2007 is SD-DVD. I had been putting some money aside for a player and possibly a receiver upgrade, but after thinking about it, what with the format war, dearth of quality titles and how good up-converted SD-DVD looks on a 50" plasma, I ordered another L lens for my DSLR instead. HD formats can wait until 2008.
  • Reply 987 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Links? (and no, saying that FCP supports both doesn't count - it has to)

Jan 17, 2007

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01...time/index.php

Quote:

Case in point: Both sides in the ongoing DVD format war?Blu-ray and HD DVD?have adopted H.264. So while Apple may hold a seat on the Blu-Ray Disc Association?s Board of Directors, it sees the format fight as a win-win situation for its technology.

?We are part of both of those technologies and are happy, regardless of the outcome, that H.264 is part of the overall equation,? Casanova said.

and

Pretty clear here.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/apr/17hd.html

Quote:

Apple is committed to both emerging high definition DVD standards?Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD. Apple is an active member of the DVD Forum which developed the HD DVD standard, and last month joined the Board of Directors of the Blu-ray Disc Association.

Note..this came AFTER their joining the BDA BoD. So clearly they weren't wavering on HD DVD support.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301484

Quote:

DVD Studio Pro 4 gives you the choice of authoring a traditional DVD using standard definition (SD) assets or high definition (HD) assets. There are several factors to take into account when deciding which DVD format to use:

While an HD-based DVD can provide excellent HD video output, it can only be played on devices designed to specifically support it, such as Apple DVD Player. SD-based DVDs can be played on all DVD players, including those that play HD-based DVDs.

Now I'd like a bit if linkage from you backing up the premise that Apple not choose HD DVD. Frankly I doubt they standardize on either format for the near future. That's why BTO is going to be the solution here. There's really no way to spin this. Apple is neutral.
  • Reply 988 of 4650
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Quote:

I like Combos as well. The ability to play the movie on a billion DVD players is a nice feature. I think it's going to play a vital role in the success of HD DVD against a stout Blu-ray Disc Association hellbent on ending this battle.

Wa? you crazy...

I'll put down 1 millions dollars that HD-DVD is on the way out.
  • Reply 989 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jules View Post

Wa? you crazy...

I'll put down 1 millions dollars that HD-DVD is on the way out.

Save your money. I'll accept some solid reasoning that goes beyond the usual suspects.

1. CE Support

2. Vendor support

3. 2:1 ratio for sales.

Or at least try to explain to my how a dead format is still selling well.

Amazon rankings

HD-A2 ranked #242

HD-XA2 ranked #808

Sony BDP-S1- $2373

Samsung BD-P100 - 639

Xbox HD DVD ranked #199

PS3 60GB ranked #121

So basically your premise is that I've wasted my money on HD DVD but you can't provide anything other than "trust me..I'm Jules and I know" Sorry, I'm going to need a bit more data from you other than your ability to wager outlandish amounts of money.
  • Reply 990 of 4650
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

So basically your premise is that I've wasted my money on HD DVD but you can't provide anything other than "trust me.

I'll agree with you. Buying an HD-DVD player, especially the Xbox add-on, is no waste of money. The only possible waste is if you buy movies that you plan to watch for a little while, but then hope to sell later. The market may go poof. Safer to use Netflix.

• Reply 991 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

I'll agree with you. Buying an HD-DVD player, especially the Xbox add-on, is no waste of money. The only possible waste is if you buy movies that you plan to watch for a little while, but then hope to sell later. The market may go poof. Safer to use Netflix.

I think people are selling both formats a liitle short. At first I didn't like the fact that both players standardized on 3 CODECS (AVC, VC-1 and MPEG2) but now I'm glad they have. I know if I buy a HD DVD or a BD player I not only have a player that will play back packaged media but I also have a player that will playback my own HD content. With excellent HD camcorders available from Sony, Canon and JVC at the consumer level an investment in either format will still pay off handsomely even if the format doesn't "win".
  • Reply 992 of 4650
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Quote:

Save your money. I'll accept some solid reasoning that goes beyond the usual suspects.

1. CE Support

2. Vendor support

Amazon rankings

HD-A2 ranked #242

HD-XA2 ranked #808

Sony BDP-S1- $2373

Samsung BD-P100 - 639

Xbox HD DVD ranked #199

PS3 60GB ranked #121

So basically your premise is that I've wasted my money on HD DVD but you can't provide anything other than "trust me..I'm Jules and I know" Sorry, I'm going to need a bit more data from you other than your ability to wager outlandish amounts of money.

If I were a gambler, and I was going to put some money down on who was going to win, I would be placing my money on Blu-ray. A safesh bet I would say.

Trust me, I'm Jules and I know
  • Reply 993 of 4650
    Quote:

Jan 17, 2007

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01...time/index.php

That's Frank Casanova, the director of QuickTime product marketing, who's basically talking about h.264 and that the codec is part of both formats.

Quote:

Pretty clear here.

What did I say about FCP?

Quote:

Jhttp://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301484

While an HD-based DVD can provide excellent HD video output, it can only be played on devices designed to specifically support it, such as Apple DVD Player. SD-based DVDs can be played on all DVD players, including those that play HD-based DVDs.

HD-based DVD != HD DVD. It's HD content stored on a regular DVD. How many HD DVDs existed two years ago?
  • Reply 994 of 4650
    Quote:

According to the latest data it's 3:1 now - before the Amazon sale.

Quote:

Amazon rankings

HD-A2 ranked #242

HD-XA2 ranked #808

Sony BDP-S1- $2373

Samsung BD-P100 - 639

Xbox HD DVD ranked #199

PS3 60GB ranked #121

For all we know there can be 1 sale between rank 242 and rank 639. Ranks don't tell how much is sold.

PS: Where are all the HD DVD movies? They are still 22 movies (more if you don't count DVE and music) short of reaching last year's goal.
  • Reply 995 of 4650
    JLL that's spin and you know it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Casanova

?We are part of both of those technologies and are happy, regardless of the outcome, that H.264 is part of the overall equation,? Casanova said.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL

What did I say about FCP?

Has no relevance to the support of your premise. You contend that Apple is somehow Blu-ray and that HD DVD is a second class citizen yet you can provide ANY information that supports your premise.

How many times does Apple have to say they are neutral before it sinks in?

Doesn't this kind of say it all?

Quote:

Apple is committed to both emerging high definition DVD standards?Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD. Apple is an active member of the DVD Forum which developed the HD DVD standard, and last month joined the Board of Directors of the Blu-ray Disc Association.

Of course Apple is going to promote HD DVD and Blu-ray through the use of authoring tools. What else would they be doing. They don't make money adding drives unless they are selling the software tools.
  • Reply 996 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

According to the latest data it's 3:1 now - before the Amazon sale.

For all we know there can be 1 sale between rank 242 and rank 639. Ranks don't tell how much is sold.

PS: Where are all the HD DVD movies? They are still 22 movies (more if you don't count DVE and music) short of reaching last year's goal.

True but if that's the case you've just invalidated your 3:1 sales ratio as well. As for the movies I think many people will look and see that March is relatively lean for both formats. Fox has pushed titles back and Warner and Paramount have been slow. I believe this is due to piracy fears.
  • Reply 997 of 4650
    jiggy05jiggy05 Posts: 37member
    One thousand posts about HDDVD/Bluray and counting... YAWN.
  • Reply 998 of 4650
    Quote:

True but if that's the case you've just invalidated your 3:1 sales ratio as well.

Sorry it is 2:1 - my bad, but the ratio is based on the actually number of sold movies according to Nielsen VideoScan and not on Amazon ratings.
  • Reply 999 of 4650
    Quote:

...Blu-ray Disc Association hellbent on ending this battle.

so... now it sounds like you are saying ENDING the "war" is a bad thing??

honestly man, i think you must be the ONLY person who thinks that ending the "war" one way or another could be bad.

Quote:

...Sorry, I'm going to need a bit more data from you...

but even when you DO get hard data... you choose to ignore it.. or dont believe it, or turn it around .. or sometimes plain just dont respond.
  • Reply 1000 of 4650
    Perhaps murch should remember who started this war in the first place.